Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728
Results 1,081 to 1,098 of 1098
    Veteran Member Four Rings mtroxel's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin B8 View Post
    New cam bridge is being difficult, so I'm calling it a night.
    Just don't blame it on the new bridge. I put my old one back on after 85K miles, and it put up a pretty good fight. Its just a really tight fit with 0 play at all. It helps if you swear a little bit.
    11 A4 Q, Prestge, Black
    95,000 miles, APR Stage 1

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by mtroxel View Post
    Just don't blame it on the new bridge. I put my old one back on after 85K miles, and it put up a pretty good fight. Its just a really tight fit with 0 play at all. It helps if you swear a little bit.
    Tried assembly lube last night, the red sticky stuff, that was too thick. Switched to 0W-40 engine oil instead, no go with that either. Going to try a tiny bit of silicone spray, which is the thinnest oil I can find.
    Videos I've seen suggest the exhaust cam needs to be pried to the left a smidge, that makes me a bit nervous given the cams are hollow.

Bridge screen was about 70% intact, no sign of the missing middle bit; I'm guessing it came out years ago.

Veteran Member Four Rings Charles.waite's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

So what’s the deal with the cam bridge reassembly? Is it just really hard to get it over the cam adjusters? Or is it splined somehow?

I’d like to be prepared for when I do this so I know what to expect.
    -CP
    2008 Brilliant Black Unicorn (2.0t S-Line Ti 6MT Avant) - Bosch FR6KPP332S plugs - Q5 Rear Aero Wiper
    2012 Q5 2.0t - Stock Mommy Missile
    Former USP CLUB MEMBER #136
    2004 A4 1.8TQ 6MT USP - APR Stage 1+ - FSI Coils - BKR7EIX-11 - B6S4 Front + B7A4 Rear Brakes - 034 Street Trans Mount
    SOLD -- 2006 A4 2.0TQ Avant Tiptronic

Veteran Member Four Rings A4 Centaur's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Ducati Panigale 1199S (Red of course)

The service manual says to use two open-end wrenches to slightly rotate the cams. Exhaust counter clockwise and Intake clock wise.

You only need to rotate them slightly, maybe 2-3 degrees. PM me your email and I'll send you a dropbox link for the manual.
    Black B8 A4 Avant S-Line Prestige Package, CPMB Engine, Tiptronic 8 speed, JHM K04-R, V1 & Beltronics, Eurocode HFC, APR FMIC, Alu Kreuz, Vogtland Coilovers, Stoptech 380mm BB Kit, H&R Swaybar, APR K04 Tune, Rev. "d" DV, R8 Coils, Folding Mirrors, S5 Rear Brakes, 034 Street Density Mounts, OEM Facelift LED Brake lights, Forgestar CF5, and more mods to come!

Registered Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Very interesting. I saw that the service manual suggested rotating the cams slightly, but I didn't know why. So am I understanding it correctly that you are rotating them in order for the cam bridge to fit on easier?

Senior Member Two Rings NoUDont's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Justin B8 View Post
    I did the same. Within an hour I received a request for my VIN and build date (Oct 2011 on the driver jamb). Here's the response I received which coincides with the settlement info posted:

Dear Mr. nnnnn:

I can confirm that your vehicle is included in this Settlement. The Court preliminarily approved the Settlement on June 14, 2018. Following is a brief outline of what will happen going forward in the effectuation of this Settlement:

• On or around August 28, 2018, the Class Notice will be mailed out to the over 400,000 Class Members in this Settlement.
    • A dedicated website will go live on the date that the Class Notice is mailed. Class Members will have the ability to file their Claims via this website. The website will also provide details of the litigation, access to case related documents, frequently asked questions, and contact information for the Settlement Administrator and Class Counsel.
    • Prior to that date, VW will advise all VW and Audi dealers of the specifics of this Settlement to prepare them for Class Members seeking repairs.
    • NOVEMBER 19, 2018 is the Fairness Hearing where the Court will determine whether or not to finally approve the Settlement. The Court must approve the Settlement before the Settlement’s relief can go into effect.

If the Court approves the Settlement, Class Members could receive reimbursements for out-of-pocket repairs for the timing chain/tensioner, and in the event of a complete engine failure, reimbursement for that as well. For Class Members who have not experienced these issues, their warranties will be extended up to 10 years or 100,000 miles.

If you have not experienced any of the issues with the timing chain, and since you are under 100,000 miles, you will be covered by the extended warranty in the event you do need to have the timing chain/tensioner/complete engine repairs. If you have had issues and repairs, you will able to file a Claim. If the repairs were performed at an AUDI dealer, you would receive 100% reimbursement. If you have it repaired at an independent service center, you would receive $1,000 for the tensioner, $1,500 for the timing chain, or $2,000 for both. Make sure you keep all your maintenance records and invoices. When filing a Claim, you will be required to submit those documents showing adherence to the VW/Audi maintenance schedule.

Please feel free to contact me if you have further questions.

Regards,

The bit that concerns me is the very last statement. If you can't prove oil changes, or whatever else they deem necessary to meet "adherence to the VW/Audi maintenance schedule". they have left themselves wiggle room to deny claims, which is bullshit. I have receipts for oil and filters, but all of the labor is DIY and wont show mileage.
    My tensioner went out in May. Car is sitting in my driveway. I have a 2009 A4 2.0T Quattro. My question is my car has 131,000 miles on it, I was never advised by the dealer the tensioner needed to be replaced at any time, at about 125,000 my water pump broke and i took it to dealer for estimate, they charged me the $200 for completing a full check of the car and the tensioner was not mentioned, the dealer completed the Oil Consumption Phase 1 and 2 at around 75,000 miles and never changed the tensioner, do i have a leg to stand on? I am looking at $2500-3000 for repairs because they do not know what is messed up until they take it apart. I emailed the law firm. waiting to hear back. stuck on what to do.

AZ Member #

I’d go talk to the dealer and also call AoA. Audi of America was super helpful when I called. And, given the settlement, it seems like negligence on the part of the dealer that this wasn’t addressed earlier.

So I for one think you do have a leg to stand on.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Not sure if it helps, but I bought the Cam Locks which worked to free up tension on the chain and or the way the bridge fits in the end of the intake cam.

My understanding for the Cam Bridge the 6 bolts holding in on should come off pretty easy, I don't know for sure if the position of the chains affect the removal of the cam bridge.

I had locked mine down as I recall and it came off easy.
    Black B8 A4 Avant S-Line Prestige Package, CPMB Engine, Tiptronic 8 speed, JHM K04-R, V1 & Beltronics, Eurocode HFC, APR FMIC, Alu Kreuz, Vogtland Coilovers, Stoptech 380mm BB Kit, H&R Swaybar, APR K04 Tune, Rev. "d" DV, R8 Coils, Folding Mirrors, S5 Rear Brakes, 034 Street Density Mounts, OEM Facelift LED Brake lights, Forgestar CF5, and more mods to come!

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Bridge installed; I cleaned the bores with acetone and then a light smear of oil. Square the bridge onto the cam noses, and then using a pry bar between the exhaust gear at 3:00 (cover with a rag) and the inside left upper housing, gently wiggle the cam gear to the outside and push it on.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

^Whew! Glad to hear.

AZ Member #

Ya! Congrats man!

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by A4 Centaur View Post
    ^Whew! Glad to hear.
    Quote Originally Posted by blgilles View Post
    Ya! Congrats man!
    I forgot to order a new dipstick o-ring, so I picked one up at the dealer this morning. I was explaining my dilemma to the parts counter guy; he called an Audi tech in the shop and asked what the trick is, lol.
    He stressed NOT to hit it, or force it on. If it won't go, clean it, re-oil, reseat it square and try again. Mine slid right on after the second good sideways wiggle with the pry bar.

AZ Member #

Good to know; thanks. And cool that they were helpful with advice.

AZ Member #

2012 A4 Avant with a sticker date of 1/12. Is there any chance I have the new tensioner or is it pretty certain it's the old one? Trying to avoid having the pay the $150 to have a shop put it up the rack and verify if possible.

Established Member Three Rings Novarider's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Jack it up and check yourself?
    2011 A4 Avant Prestige S-Line

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

My 2011 A4 is going to an Audi service shop for the tensioner and timing chain replacement next week. The shop will also replace the guide rails.

Is there anything else that should be looked at while the techs are in there? Any work or parts I should specifically request as part of the job?

Stage 2 oil consumption was performed in 2016, including the cam bridge replacement.

Per VCDS, my camshaft adaptation phase position is -3.71 degrees. Visually, the current tensioner shows 5 notches.

Veteran Member Four Rings mtroxel's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Audiban View Post
    Stage 2 oil consumption was performed in 2016, including the cam bridge replacement.
    Would be interesting to know if your "new" cam bridge still has its screen.....
    11 A4 Q, Prestge, Black
    95,000 miles, APR Stage 1

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Novarider View Post
    Jack it up and check yourself?
    I wish I could, but i'm not good with cars and I don't own a jack lol...

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 18262728