Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 22303132
Results 1,241 to 1,278 of 1278
    Established Member Two Rings shuzj944's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Can anybody help me clarify the deal with mine? I got the class action stuff maybe two weeks ago. My motor is at 130,003 currently and the cam chain tensioner has never been done, I checked with the dealership where this car has been maintained its whole life prior to me. Am I eligible for a percentage reimbursement if I bring it to be replaced, or am I shit outta luck? The car runs fine with no chain rattle on start up that I can distinguish, but she's sitting for the time being for safety's sake. Looks like the S4 is going to get an extended driving season this year.

Veteran Member Four Rings Charles.waite's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Get your hands on a VCDS cable and check out the timing phase adjustment. If itís -5į or greater (less actually, since itís negative) then your adjuster is more or less bottomed out.
    -CP
    2008 Brilliant Black Unicorn (2.0t S-Line Ti 6MT Avant) - Bosch FR6KPP332S plugs - Q5 Rear Aero Wiper
    2012 Q5 2.0t - Stock Mommy Missile
    Former USP CLUB MEMBER #136
    2004 A4 1.8TQ 6MT USP - APR Stage 1+ - FSI Coils - BKR7EIX-11 - B6S4 Front + B7A4 Rear Brakes - 034 Street Trans Mount
    SOLD -- 2006 A4 2.0TQ Avant Tiptronic

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Charles.waite View Post
    Get your hands on a VCDS cable and check out the timing phase adjustment. If itís -5į or greater (less actually, since itís negative) then your adjuster is more or less bottomed out.
    I have VCDS, I was running through it yesterday and checking everything out but I think I missed that one. I'm assuming I need to go into the advanced measuring blocks in the engine to find the check box for timing phase adjustment, correct? If it's bottomed will Audi cover any portion of the repair or is it all on me? Just trying to mentally prepare myself for the amount of money I may need to spend haha

AZ Member #

Canít help you on whether or not audi will help out. I just did this and the parts and tools came out to a bit over $1k I believe.
    -CP
    2008 Brilliant Black Unicorn (2.0t S-Line Ti 6MT Avant) - Bosch FR6KPP332S plugs - Q5 Rear Aero Wiper
    2004 A4 1.8TQ 6MT USP - APR Stage 1+ - FSI Coils - BKR7EIX-11 - B6S4 Front + B7A4 Rear Brakes - 034 Street Trans Mount

AZ Member #

Hey I appreciate it anyways man. I wasnt sure if there was a way to check the tensioner other than visually so this info will help a lot

AZ Member #

THE Timing Chain Tensioner Failure Thread

For reference. My phase adjustment was -6.5į and my adjuster was one ridge away from bottoming out.
    Last edited by Charles.waite; 09-10-2018 at 07:43 AM.
    -CP

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Guys, try this.

My Phase was -2.81% after a long drive. I decided then just to red line it while in park for a second and look again. It moved to -3.1% and wouldn't go back down.... Soooo is the true phase -2.81 or 3.1?

AZ Member #

So I checked my ignition timing adjustment via VCDS and it stays at a steady .05 to 1.0 degrees while running. No chain slap noise on cold start or anything. Am I checking the correct measuring block? I couldnít find anything that said timing phase adjustment in the measuring blocks so I used common sense to deduce what I thought would be the correct block. Any advice?

Veteran Member Four Rings old guy's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '03 A4, '13 A5, '18 MB-GLA

Another view.

A4 Motoza tuned Frankenturbo F21L mixed flow turbo / Bosch 550's / 3" MAF / TyrolSport SMIC / 034 HFC / TT 2.5" DP / Borla Exhaust / Eibach ProKit Springs / Koni Yellows / H-Sport Sway Bars / TyrolSport Brake Stiffeners / HyperShift Short Shifter / Podi
    A5 Mods to come: Little stuff so far. 20/25mm spacers / H&R OE Sport springs / 35% tint / Neuspeed Power Module / black window trim / RS grille.

AZ Member #

Ok thank you, Iíll check it out again after I get my daughter in bed tonight

AZ Member #

6391FC2B-406A-4EF9-882F-E11A6B1DF744.jpgNot sure how itís possible but I donít have that option to check in the advanced measuring values. My VCDS Is the latest version and everything.
    Last edited by shuzj944; 09-12-2018 at 05:05 AM.

Senior Member Four Rings Theiceman's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by shuzj944 View Post
    6391FC2B-406A-4EF9-882F-E11A6B1DF744.jpgNot sure how itís possible but I donít have that option to check in the advanced measuring values. My VCDS Is the latest version and everything.
    Also everyone elseís is lagging. Yours is leading
    That is odd indeed.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    2014 Nissan Murano
    2006 A4 2.0TQ 6spd
    1978 Porsche 911SC Targa
    1976 Yamaha XS 360

AZ Member #

Yeah, I'm not sure exactly what is going on with mine. I'm throwing the P0299 code as well so the waste gate flapper may be acting up. Couple of misfires recently on cylinders 1, 2, and 4. I changed the coil packs and plugs earlier this year but the car has sat most of the summer while I have the S4 out, so that may have something to do with that. It doest burn a tremendous amount of oil either, some but not as much as other 09's. I can't find any record of oil consumption fixes being done or the cam chain tensioner being done. So either I have been extremely lucky with a car not affected by these issues, or the PO did all the work under the radar or it was never recorded. No idea.

Veteran Member Four Rings old guy's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '03 A4, '13 A5, '18 MB-GLA

Not sure how itís possible but I donít have that option to check in the advanced measuring values. My VCDS Is the latest version and everything.
    That is really strange.....

Are you checking with a warm engine and the engine at idle?
    A4 Motoza tuned Frankenturbo F21L mixed flow turbo / Bosch 550's / 3" MAF / TyrolSport SMIC / 034 HFC / TT 2.5" DP / Borla Exhaust / Eibach ProKit Springs / Koni Yellows / H-Sport Sway Bars / TyrolSport Brake Stiffeners / HyperShift Short Shifter / Podi
    A5 Mods to come: Little stuff so far. 20/25mm spacers / H&R OE Sport springs / 35% tint / Neuspeed Power Module / black window trim / RS grille.

AZ Member #

Iíve been checking after start up and letting the car run a little bit, but not that long. It is at idle when I check. Iíll try letting the car run for awhile first before checking and see if I can get it to come up.

Veteran Member Four Rings mtroxel's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Iíve been checking after start up and letting the car run a little bit, but not that long. It is at idle when I check. Iíll try letting the car run for awhile first before checking and see if I can get it to come up.
    I have the Cam Phase Adaptation option all the time. If my motor is cold, it just reads 0.0į, but I always have that parameter. I don't know what's going on there.
    11 A4 Q, Prestge, Black
    95,000 miles, APR Stage 1

AZ Member #

I'm really not sure either. I've checked with both a warm and cold engine. In the advanced measuring values I have scrolled through every block and used the search function with multiple different keywords and still nothing.

Established Member Two Rings EuroCK's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Got the tensioner replaced today. The interesting part, they worked within the engine bay to swap the part out, without having to remove the front of the car. Is this normally what they do? Regardless, glad to have the piece of mind now. The chain and guides were fine, just swapped the tensioner out. I also sent for reimbursement for out of pocket cost through the legal matter that's pending
    Attached Images
    2012 A4Q S-Line, AT, Premium|K04 APR Stage-III|APR Downpipe, Corsa Exhaust|APR Intercooler|ST Coilovers|TSW Bathurst 20x9 245/35/20|Falken|HID Fog Conversion Kit|Headlight Side-Markers Black-Out|5000K The Retro Fit D3S|

Established Member Three Rings Novarider's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by EuroCK View Post
    Got the tensioner replaced today. The interesting part, they worked within the engine bay to swap the part out, without having to remove the front of the car. Is this normally what they do? Regardless, glad to have the piece of mind now. The chain and guides were fine, just swapped the tensioner out. I also sent for reimbursement for out of pocket cost through the legal matter that's pending
    I asked if this was possible because I swear when mine was done they didn't remove the bumper based on how much dirt there was when I removed the bumper just a couple months later. I was told it's not possible but now you have pictures showing it is.
    2011 A4 Avant Prestige S-Line

AZ Member #

...they worked within the engine bay to swap the part out, without having to remove the front of the car. Is this normally what they do?
    I think everyone here who's done that has done a new chain and guides also.

Hey, those last two pictures? Is that the old tensioner or the new one? The first part number...the one that caused tons of problems had the band around it like that. But it's not extended very far. Did they replace an old tensioner with an early version?
    11 A4 Q, Prestge, Black

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Novarider View Post
    I asked if this was possible because I swear when mine was done they didn't remove the bumper based on how much dirt there was when I removed the bumper just a couple months later. I was told it's not possible but now you have pictures showing it is.
    I wasn't sure if this was possible either, glad they didn't need to take all the crap apart.

Quote Originally Posted by mtroxel View Post
    I think everyone here who's done that has done a new chain and guides also.

Hey, those last two pictures? Is that the old tensioner or the new one? The first part number...the one that caused tons of problems had the band around it like that. But it's not extended very far. Did they replace an old tensioner with an early version?
    Old tensioner, with the band. They said it looked good still, but I ended up going with new revision "K", no picture yet.
    2012 A4Q S-Line, AT, Premium|K04 APR Stage-III|APR Downpipe, Corsa Exhaust|APR Intercooler|ST Coilovers|TSW Bathurst 20x9 245/35/20|Falken|HID Fog Conversion Kit|Headlight Side-Markers Black-Out|5000K The Retro Fit D3S|

AZ Member #

Old tensioner, with the band. They said it looked good still, but I ended up going with new revision "K", no picture yet.
    Good. It's not extended much, but that says more about the chain than it does about the tensioner. That version with the band? The band slips out of place, the chain goes slack, and you know the rest.
    11 A4 Q, Prestge, Black

AZ Member #

Yeah, surprised as it's been stage II for 60K miles, recently went to stage III, so glad got it fixed as preventative. It's my wife's car, so she doesn't have a "heavy foot" like I do....

AZ Member #

You say that, but my wifeís q5 doesnít see very aggressive driving, was a CPO (so itís likely it was maintained decently well), had a revised tensioner, and still had -6.5į of phase adjustment. The amount of stretch in the chain was absurd when you held them next to each other. Point being, the tensioner is only one facet of the issue. The revised tensioner helps, but the other part of the issue lies in the fact that the chains stretch really badly.
    -CP

AZ Member #

You say that, but my wifeís q5 doesnít see very aggressive driving, was a CPO (so itís likely it was maintained decently well), had a revised tensioner, and still had -6.5į of phase adjustment. The amount of stretch in the chain was absurd when you held them next to each other. Point being, the tensioner is only one facet of the issue. The revised tensioner helps, but the other part of the issue lies in the fact that the chains stretch really badly.
    Completely agree with that. Our engine has be surprisingly reliable with no issues of sorts. There was no issues with the "oil consumption" that a lot of people have/are facing and other than maintenance and replacing the tensioner it's been a good engine.

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Burningmustard View Post
    Update. Heard back from dealer and Audi is covering the timing chain and turbo. Should have the car back this Friday. Hopefully all goes well with the service and no more issues.
    So have had the car back for a few months now, and I now have an oil consumption issue. Before the tensioner failure (& turbo replacement), never had a problem with oil consumption. Now I go through a quart of oil every 40 days / 1,100 miles or so. Been keeping good records of this and have started discussions with 'other' Audi dealer in town.

Not sure why I would all of a sudden have this oil consumption issue.

Active Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

So smell your oil and see if it smells like fuel. Another common problem with this generation of cars is to have the injectors start to leak fuel into the oil. This reduces the viscosity of the oil to a point that it (1) will slip past the rings and burn super-easily and (2) cause damage to the rings and other parts of the car (parts which rely on the right viscosity).

EDIT: Typos

AZ Member #

Completely agree with that. Our engine has be surprisingly reliable with no issues of sorts. There was no issues with the "oil consumption" that a lot of people have/are facing and other than maintenance and replacing the tensioner it's been a good engine.
    Yea same with ours. No oil consumption to speak of, and the only issue has been the timing chains. Granted thatís a pretty major issue, but itís now solved so I expect the car to be perfectly reliable in the coming years.
    -CP

AZ Member #

Quick update: I was finally able to verify my Cam Phase and its pegged at -0.44į. Looks like timing is set properly and I'm ready to call my timing chain job a success.
    -CP

AZ Member #

Sweet!

AZ Member #

Yea I was pretty confident I had done it right, but in the back of my head I was concerned (thanks to you guys, damnit! haha!). Glad its good to go however. Now I just need to order up some Lifeguard 8 and a filter and swap the trans fluid. I could probably get away with just a topoff to replace the fluid I lost removing the radiator, but at 60K miles I feel like the trans could use some new fluid.
    -CP

Established Member Three Rings Novarider's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Yea I was pretty confident I had done it right, but in the back of my head I was concerned (thanks to you guys, damnit! haha!). Glad its good to go however. Now I just need to order up some Lifeguard 8 and a filter and swap the trans fluid. I could probably get away with just a topoff to replace the fluid I lost removing the radiator, but at 60K miles I feel like the trans could use some new fluid.
    Get it from fcpeuro. Then in the future you can get all new again for free with their lifetime warranty.
    2011 A4 Avant Prestige S-Line

AZ Member #

Ya I did a drain and refill after the timing work too. So keep in mind that you prefill while the car is off, until it drips from the inspection plug, then you have to do the final fill with the car on (as the car sucks a bunch up into the transmission when itís running, and will dump it back out when it turns back off), and cap it before turning the car off.

So this is done in a specific transmission fluid temperature range and with a specific shifting pattern. Iím guessing you already have all this... but figured Iíd mention just in case, and can provide the exact criteria if needed..
    Last edited by blgilles; 09-14-2018 at 07:41 AM.

AZ Member #

Yea Iím aware of the procedure, thanks though. At the very least itís useful your wrote it down here so if someone else reads it theyíll know itís not just a straightforward drain, then refill procedure.
    -CP

Senior Member Four Rings Theiceman's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I'm really not sure either. I've checked with both a warm and cold engine. In the advanced measuring values I have scrolled through every block and used the search function with multiple different keywords and still nothing.
    are you sure you entered correct platform when you went into the program ?
    2014 Nissan Murano
    2006 A4 2.0TQ 6spd
    1978 Porsche 911SC Targa
    1976 Yamaha XS 360

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Dirt and Street bikes, '09 A4Q

Replaced tensioner, guides and chains at 160k. Now at 207k and phase adaptation reads -2.18į.

I figured someone might be collecting data on this kind of information... so there it is.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Theiceman View Post
    are you sure you entered correct platform when you went into the program ?
    As in select the correct generation vehicle? i.e. B5, B6, B8 etc? I only have to do that when I hook this up to my B5 S4. When I plug the vagcom cable into the B8 A4 it automatically links with it as far as I know. Its one of the new ones where it stored the VIN of the A4 and everything. I will try to double check though this weekend

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by A4BGP View Post
    Replaced tensioner, guides and chains at 160k. Now at 207k and phase adaptation reads -2.18į.

I figured someone might be collecting data on this kind of information... so there it is.
    https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...1#post13262375

Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 22303132