Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526
Results 1,001 to 1,014 of 1014
    Senior Member Four Rings WokkerK's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B8 A4 Avant

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Sorry for the bad pic but here was the shops verdict.
    09' B8 A4 Avant - Brilliant Black
    09' B8 A4 Sedan - Ibis White

Veteran Member Four Rings mtroxel's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I emailed that law firm too.
    11 A4 Q, Prestge, Black
    95,000 miles, APR Stage 1

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Hey all! Just became the new owner of an 09 A4 that just turned 60k miles. First thing I did when I got the car was take it to the dealership for the service history. The oil consumption recall was done 5k miles ago, nothing about the timing chain tensioner (I believe). Now Iím nervous I just bought a ticking time bomb. If you guys were me, what would you do? Is that something I need to worry about at 60k? Car is in great shape and had all service done on time. Would there be a specific thing I should look for in the paperwork I got from the dealership as far as replacing that and if it were done already? Sorry for all the questions, just extremely nervous now. Thanks for all the help.

Senior Member Four Rings WokkerK's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B8 A4 Avant

Quote Originally Posted by Tlloyd1 View Post
    Hey all! Just became the new owner of an 09 A4 that just turned 60k miles. First thing I did when I got the car was take it to the dealership for the service history. The oil consumption recall was done 5k miles ago, nothing about the timing chain tensioner (I believe). Now Iím nervous I just bought a ticking time bomb. If you guys were me, what would you do? Is that something I need to worry about at 60k? Car is in great shape and had all service done on time. Would there be a specific thing I should look for in the paperwork I got from the dealership as far as replacing that and if it were done already? Sorry for all the questions, just extremely nervous now. Thanks for all the help.
    Totally valid post. If I were you I would go to the dealer and have them get you a real print out of when the stage 2 oil consumption was done. It's possible that when they were in there that they did the tensioner but doubtful. Depends what the owner asked for or how nice the dealership was who did it.

I don't mean to scare you but if I were you if there is no evidence of it being done...I would pay to have it done for peace of mind. In this thread there are reports of it failing as early as 60k and as late as 140k to never.

This is also a pipe dream but if you pay for it now and have it done you could avoid disaster in the future and if the class action goes through you have a shot of recouping your costs. Just my 2 cents.

I have one of my two 09's done and one that is not. I don't worry about the one that is done and the one that wasn't I worry about every time I start it.
    09' B8 A4 Avant - Brilliant Black
    09' B8 A4 Sedan - Ibis White

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Tlloyd1 View Post
    You should definitely confirm the version of your tensioner. If the dealer paperwork doesn't show it as being replaced, you should check it yourself or have a shop do it. it's very easy to remove the inspection plug on the timing cover to check which version you have.
    If it's the old style it should be high on your priority list to update it. There is a class action suit underway that may cover this, so you may want to familiarize yourself with it.
    [/I]
    2011 A4 Avant quattro tiptronic/ Eurocode Sway Bars, End Links, Alu Kreuz/ 034 Catch Can/ Various VagCom

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Would you wait until itís covered under the lawsuit or will it only be covered if you have already done it?

Veteran Member Four Rings Charles.waite's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    Items for Sale

The class action wonít necessarily stipulate or require an extended warranty on the tensioner and chains. Itís likely only to reimburse people whoíve already paid out of pocket.

Audi might then institute an extended coverage plan, but Iím not certain that is part of the class action result or if other legal pressure wouldíve required.

Having said all that class actions can take years so donít wait. Unless you like having a non-operative car in your driveway.
    -CP
    2008 Brilliant Black Unicorn (2.0t S-Line Ti 6MT Avant) - Bosch FR6KPP332S plugs - Q5 Rear Aero Wiper
    2012 Q5 2.0t - Stock Mommy Missile
    Former USP CLUB MEMBER #136
    2004 A4 1.8TQ 6MT USP - APR Stage 1+ - FSI Coils - BKR7EIX-11 - B6S4 Front + B7A4 Rear Brakes - 034 Street Trans Mount
    SOLD -- 2006 A4 2.0TQ Avant Tiptronic

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Charles.waite View Post
    The class action wonít necessarily stipulate or require an extended warranty on the tensioner and chains. Itís likely only to reimburse people whoíve already paid out of pocket.

Audi might then institute an extended coverage plan, but Iím not certain that is part of the class action result or if other legal pressure wouldíve required.

Having said all that class actions can take years so donít wait. Unless you like having a non-operative car in your driveway.
    From the news read from last week this class action law suit has taken years. It was filed in 2016, has now been agreed to and now the judge has to approve it. Usually weeks or months for that. The agreement says all affected VIN's owners will be notified. For the Oil class action lawsuit I was notified first by the law firm and then by Audi.
    2016 A3 Cabriolet 2.0T
    2011 Q5 Ibis White 2.0T
    2008 A4 Cabriolet Ibis White 2.0TQ (sold)
    2000 A4 Laser Red 1.8TQM (sold)

AZ Member #

I plan on having my shop do chains/tensioner/guides for 1700 and hoping I can get reimbursed in the future. Any reason I should wait? I'm getting this work done at 80k and in preparation for going K04.
    Build thread: 2014 Audi Allroad
    Instagram: @ridesbypeter

Previous Audis:
    2004 Audi A4 Avant 3.0
    2003 Audi A3 Avant 1.8T

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by plim View Post
    I plan on having my shop do chains/tensioner/guides for 1700 and hoping I can get reimbursed in the future. Any reason I should wait? I'm getting this work done at 80k and in preparation for going K04.
    If I spent the $$ to go K04, and had the timing chain let go 10 miles later, I'd jump off a bridge.
    11 A4 Q, Prestge, Black

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by mtroxel View Post
    If I spent the $$ to go K04, and had the timing chain let go 10 miles later, I'd jump off a bridge.
    Haha, exactly why I'm doing this. Also gonna be doing the trans fluid/filter service. How much should I expect to pay for that, I've been quoted 4-500 for fluid and filter change, is that normal?
    Build thread: 2014 Audi Allroad
    Instagram: @ridesbypeter

Previous Audis:
    2004 Audi A4 Avant 3.0
    2003 Audi A3 Avant 1.8T

Established Member Three Rings Novarider's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by plim View Post
    Haha, exactly why I'm doing this. Also gonna be doing the trans fluid/filter service. How much should I expect to pay for that, I've been quoted 4-500 for fluid and filter change, is that normal?
    That's a good price. Dealer here quoted me $1300! Eurotech quoted $550 iirc

I did it myself for about $300
    2011 A4 Avant Prestige S-Line

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Novarider View Post
    I did it myself for about $300
    That's about what I paid DIY, not including the shirt I pitched after spilling that monkey-piss smelling ATF all over it.
    11 A4 Q, Prestge, Black

Established Member Three Rings Novarider's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by mtroxel View Post
    That's about what I paid DIY, not including the shirt I pitched after spilling that monkey-piss smelling ATF all over it.
    I was very careful after reading about your spill to not get any on my clothes.
    2011 A4 Avant Prestige S-Line

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526