Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 142 of 142 FirstFirst ... 4292132140141142
Results 5,641 to 5,678 of 5678
    Stage 2 Banner Advertiser Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveYem View Post
    I'll preface this by saying that the following question is not meant to be suggestive or accusatory, I'm just trying to get some opinions:
    Is it at all plausible that a Stage 1 tune (EPL or other) could cause the timing chain to rattle at start-up?
    Reason I am asking - I had the timing chain rattling issue and the dealer replaced the chain tensioners per the TSB back in late 2017. I had flashed the car back to stock for this service and left it stock for ~1 week following the service. Then I flashed back to EPL Stage 1 and fast forward ~6 months I started hearing the chain rattling again. So, the car is currently back at the dealer (flashed back to stock) and I'm waiting for them to call me with their findings. I'm somewhat concerned they will do a deep dive and find that the ECU has been flashed and deny covering the work under warranty, so in case they try to blame a timing chain issue on a Stage 1 tune I'd like to be prepared to have an intelligent conversation about it.
    Without sounding too defensive... there's a reason there's a TSB, its a design issue. Its not the tune.
    Tony Chick
    European Performance Labs
    Tony@eplabs.net
    Friend us on Facebook!

2018 Audi S4 : 1985 Audi URQ : 1976 VW Westfalia : 2014 Q7

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Empty...for now...

Quote Originally Posted by Tony@EPL View Post
    Without sounding too defensive... there's a reason there's a TSB, its a design issue. Its not the tune.

I agree, I could not come up with any reason to believe that a tune - EPL or any other's - could affect the timing chain and/or its tensioners in any way, but I guess I'm looking for a technical justification for that position. Again, I am just trying to get educated before having the discussion with the dealership.
    2015 Daytona Gray S4
    6MT / Sport Diff / B&O / Tech Pkg / Carbon Atlas / Black Alcantara
    Mods: S5 Rotors, Xpel Ultimate, 3M Color Stable Tint 35%, H&R Street Performance Coilovers, Euro Code Alu Kreuz, Eurocode Sway Bars, Moog Endlinks, CR-15, Eurocode Meisterwerk ASTS, AWE Resonated Touring Exhaust, ECS Luft-Technik Intake, 034 Transmission Mount, HCX LED 3000k Fog Lights, Apikol Rear Diff Mount

Established Member Three Rings 303 Spartan's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 Audi S4 & 2016 Mazda CX5

I agree, I could not come up with any reason to believe that a tune - EPL or any other's - could affect the timing chain and/or its tensioners in any way, but I guess I'm looking for a technical justification for that position. Again, I am just trying to get educated before having the discussion with the dealership.
    FWIW - I'm a few months post-timing chain TSB and noticing some rattle returning on cold starts after the car sits for more than 24 hours (maybe 1 out of 4 times). However, there are PLENTY of cars in the TSB thread who report having the rattle and never tuned their cars with EPL. I don't believe an EPL tune is the cause for the rattle returning.

At this point I'm pretty convinced that the tensioners the dealer installs for the TSB are no better than the original ones that were in the car. Which is quite annoying. However, after the unbelievable headache and multiple dealer trips the TSB caused me to go through, I'm just throwing my hands in the air on it and enjoying the car. For now the rattle is far and few between and not nearly as obnoxious as it was previously.
    '14 Estoril Blue S4 / EPL Stage 2 ECU & TCU
    DSG | ADS | Sport Diff | B&O | Tech Pkg | H&R OE Springs | VMR V710 19x8.5 et35 | 5mm ECS Spacers | PSS 255/35/19

AZ Member #

EPL B8/B8.5 Owners Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Ford Prefect View Post
    Some more logs for everyone to review (if you'd be so kind). This was my second run, major clutch slippage as you can tell by the accelerator position. I had to step off so it would reengage, it slipped again, and then I finally get it going when you see 81% accelerator position.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

This is my first run, about 6pm. No clutch slippage since I was really only there for logs:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Can I calculate requested boost just like actualjust without subtracting ambient pressure?

With no easy access to E85, I put in 4 gallons of 100 Octane on top of about 8 or so gallons of 93. not the same I know, but until I can make it south it was the best I can do.
    Hey Prefect,

Whatís the setup here? Your IATís are crazy.

Also, the first log looks like you went through the gears. Any chance of just a 3rd gear pull?

Also, you mention 100 octane but are these logs with that added or you added that after the fact?

Established Member Two Rings Aiserock's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Mine rattled PRE EPL tune. Mine still rattles, no dealer around me would touch it. Now my warranty is out so if something happens I'll be stuck with the expense.
    2014 S4 Prestige; CR-15 | Moog End Links | 034 Cross Brace | 034 Rear Sway Bar | EPL Stage 2 & TCU | AMS Alpha HX

Established Member Two Rings Aiserock's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Any update on the status of the TCU tune update?

Should I just quit asking?
    2014 S4 Prestige; CR-15 | Moog End Links | 034 Cross Brace | 034 Rear Sway Bar | EPL Stage 2 & TCU | AMS Alpha HX

I posted this in the FB group also...
    ďSo here is my issue....epl stage 2 DP 93 file. The updated file in June. So I have an intermittent epc light that shows a misfire on cylinder 3. Will throw car into limp mode. Turn car off and on, the epc light usually goes away for many miles. Changed spark plugs, regapped, and coils. Swapped coils as well. Always cylinder 3. Doest move around. Took it and ran logs yesterday. My mechanic could not reproduce the misfire. As a matter of fact. He didnít even show a single misfire on cylinder 3 during the log! Not even a random one. Anyone have a suggestion? Could it be bad gas? Bad mix of E85 with my 91? Has anyone experienced anything off with the new updated 93 epl DP tune?? Any help would be appreciated.Ē

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 VW Atlas

Quote Originally Posted by derek.kritz View Post
    ďSo here is my issue....epl stage 2 DP 93 file. The updated file in June. So I have an intermittent epc light that shows a misfire on cylinder 3. Will throw car into limp mode. Turn car off and on, the epc light usually goes away for many miles. Changed spark plugs, regapped, and coils. Swapped coils as well. Always cylinder 3. Doest move around. Took it and ran logs yesterday. My mechanic could not reproduce the misfire. As a matter of fact. He didnít even show a single misfire on cylinder 3 during the log! Not even a random one. Anyone have a suggestion? Could it be bad gas? Bad mix of E85 with my 91? Has anyone experienced anything off with the new updated 93 epl DP tune?? Any help would be appreciated.Ē
    Howís your coolant level? Leaking heat-exchanger core in the supercharger is also a possibility.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Passenger side supercharger intercooler is leaking coolant into cylinder 3. Itís pretty common.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 VW Atlas

Hereís a pic posted on a South Florida tuning shopís Facebook page. This is on cylinder 6 but regardless, it ainít pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by nick0188 View Post
    Passenger side supercharger intercooler is leaking coolant into cylinder 3. Itís pretty common.

K. Iíll pull the blower and check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by nick0188 View Post

Is cylinder 3 usually the one! If itís passenger side?

Senior Member Three Rings evil35r's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    HD Fat bob

Yes passenger all the way towards the fire wall
    S4 13 EPL cts 57/180 DP Meth/93 file w/ DSG tune, ROC-EURO intake with velocity stack filter, custom exhaust, ECS diff and tranny inserts, CR-15, VCDS mods, Snow Performance stage 2 meth kit dual nozzle spraying 1000cc 70/30 mix, 034 rear sway, coolant pump mod/divorcťe AG M590 wheels wrapped in Indy 500ís. Ratio-3.135

11.8 @ 116 with crappy 1.7 60í w/o wheels tires CP divorcťe and velocity filter in sig.

Senior Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 MDX Advance pkg, a workbench
    Items for Sale

Quote Originally Posted by bajan01 View Post
    Hereís a pic posted on a South Florida tuning shopís Facebook page. This is on cylinder 6 but regardless, it ainít pretty.

Jesus! Call interventional radiology to stent that thing.

-------
    2014 S6 - Stage 3, AMS downpipes with custom exhaust
    2013 S4 - Dual Pulley e85 - sold

Senior Member Three Rings ModItNow's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I had a misfire on cylinder 3 like 2 weeks ago that threw my car into limp mode. Hasn't happened since but I'm thinking that famous intercooler is starting to leak

Sent from my SM-G965U using Audizine mobile app

Senior Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

no problem with my June DP 93 files but i dont run ethanol.
    S4 B8.5 no track, just enjoying spirited driving.

AZ Member #

I'm glad people are bringing this up. I had the same thing happen to me. Leaking into cylinder 3. There was some discussion about venting the overflow tank in another thread to prevent the intercoolers from cracking. Is this only for divorced systems? Have people had success with this?

Senior Member Four Rings Jroyalty7's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Hofahome View Post
    Jesus! Call interventional radiology to stent that thing.

Hahaha gonna need a bigggggg stent!!!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    EPL Stage II DP Tune | EPL 57.60mm SC Pulley | 183mm Fluidampr Crank Pulley | Jokerz Ported SC| Aquamist WMI 375cc Jet @ TB| AMS Alpha Heat Exchanger | Milltek Sport Non-Resonated CBE | ECS Kohlefaser Luft-Teknik Intake | Alu Kreuz | CR-15 | 034 Drive Train & Trans Inserts | Bilstein PSS10 | SPC Upper Control Arms | TSW Bathurst 20x10 | Pulley Ratio=3.177

Quote Originally Posted by Johnson View Post
    I'm glad people are bringing this up. I had the same thing happen to me. Leaking into cylinder 3. There was some discussion about venting the overflow tank in another thread to prevent the intercoolers from cracking. Is this only for divorced systems? Have people had success with this?

Right. Would hope that AWE would address this but, good luck with that. I know some people have some stuff in the works, but nothing concrete.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 VW Atlas

EPL B8/B8.5 Owners Discussion Thread

What are DP tuned guys/gals running your coolant concentration at?...those of you that live in warm climates. Iím in South Florida and the furtherest north that Iíll probably ever drive to would be Orlando in the winter time where it could possibly approach freezing. Iím guessing that anything above freezing would require the minimum concentration to prevent corrosion issues. Is 20-25% a safe number? Iím running an AMS hx and non-divorced system, 3.18 pr. Iíve been slowly lowering the concentration but just wanted to have an idea where to stop. Iíll do some datalogging this weekend to see where my IATs stand compared to a few months back. I have already noticed that my cruising IAT is about 5F cooler and lowered the concentration a bit more today.

Veteran Member Three Rings kelseysautobody's Avatar
    AZ Member #

This is only for divorced systems. I've always had a very very small amount of invisible coolant loss but never any misfire issues. Since recently divorcing and venting the SC loop the coolant loss has seemed to stop. With the system vented it is kind of hard to tell the actual level in the SC loop though because the coolant is constantly gurgling and splashing around in the extra expansion tank. The only possible issue I see with venting the system is allowing an air pocket in but so far this hasn't been an issue.
    2013 S4 S-tronic - APR intake // KI 200mm crank pulley // EPL Stg II DP 93 + TCU tune // PLM hx // Jokerz Blower // Headers
    11.281 @ 121.58
    1993 URS4 - Work in progress...
    Past: 07 S4 6MT ~ 03 A4 3.0 6MT ~ 99 A4 1.8T

Quote Originally Posted by kelseysautobody View Post
    This is only for divorced systems. I've always had a very very small amount of invisible coolant loss but never any misfire issues. Since recently divorcing and venting the SC loop the coolant loss has seemed to stop. With the system vented it is kind of hard to tell the actual level in the SC loop though because the coolant is constantly gurgling and splashing around in the extra expansion tank. The only possible issue I see with venting the system is allowing an air pocket in but so far this hasn't been an issue.
    Can u share on how u put the extra expansion tank in??

AZ Member #

Can u share on how u put the extra expansion tank in??
    https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...oolant-sensors

From here I uncapped the overflow and ran a hose from it to a plastic water bottle. The hose runs about 1/2 way into the bottle so if the level in the expansion tank drops it sucks the coolant from the bottle back into the tank. It's kind of ghetto at the moment but works perfectly.

2013 S4 S-tronic - APR intake // KI 200mm crank pulley // EPL Stg II DP 93 + TCU tune // PLM hx // Jokerz Blower // Headers
    11.281 @ 121.58

Established Member Three Rings MSq5's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by bajan01 View Post
    What are DP tuned guys/gals running your coolant concentration at?...those of you that live in warm climates. Iím in South Florida and the furtherest north that Iíll probably ever drive to would be Orlando in the winter time where it could possibly approach freezing. Iím guessing that anything above freezing would require the minimum concentration to prevent corrosion issues. Is 20-25% a safe number? Iím running an AMS hx and non-divorced system, 3.18 pr. Iíve been slowly lowering the concentration but just wanted to have an idea where to stop. Iíll do some datalogging this weekend to see where my IATs stand compared to a few months back. I have already noticed that my cruising IAT is about 5F cooler and lowered the concentration a bit more today.
    I'm just single pulley 93, but would like to know the answer, too. I'm on the Mississippi Gulf Coast (weather about like Florida Panhandle), and have already been running 80% water, 20% antifreeze and a bottle of Royal Purple water wetter. I keep the car garaged at night and it rarely ever gets much below freezing here. On those days, I have another vehicle to drive. While I don't have the IAT issues that DP cars have, I want to run as much water (with wetter) that I can as I am an still on stock cooling.

Is 20% antifreeze enough for corrosion protection?
    2017 Q5 3.0T S-Line | Brilliant Black | EPL Stage 2 93 octane tune | JHM 179mm crank pulley | aFe Pro 5R (part#10-10121) filter in "modified" stock air box | 034 silicone throttle body hose

Senior Member Two Rings extratime's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I don't know what anyone else does but I run 16oz Royal Purple Ice and 100% water thru the S/C loop on a devorced setup.

I change to 50/50 for the winter.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 VW Atlas

Quote Originally Posted by extratime View Post
    I don't know what anyone else does but I run 16oz Royal Purple Ice and 100% water thru the S/C loop on a devorced setup.

I change to 50/50 for the winter.
    Iím not divorced but I have been slowly lowering my coolant concentration over the past few days...removing and adding back straight distilled water. Today I ran out 4th (SQ5) and was around 15į cooler on the vent gauge than last time I ran her out. My cruising temps have been at least 5į cooler too. Iíll data log this weekend and see where I stand...might just add some Royal Purple Ice before then too. If the logs show much lower IATs I might just jump up from 183mm to 189mm on the crank pulley.

IMG_3214.JPG
    Problem found and new intercooler ordered.

Senior Member Three Rings wangshuo1989's Avatar
    AZ Member #

My car's CPO warranty is about to expire so I'm looking to get a crank pulley. Anyone knows if CTS crank pulley (the 180 one) will work with EPL stage 2 software? Or only 179 works?
    2013 S5 Misano Red, DSG, B&O, Sport Diff, MMI+
    2018 XC90 Inscription, B&W sound, Convenience Pkg, Air suspension

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 VW Atlas

Quote Originally Posted by wangshuo1989 View Post
    My car's CPO warranty is about to expire so I'm looking to get a crank pulley. Anyone knows if CTS crank pulley (the 180 one) will work with EPL stage 2 software? Or only 179 works?
    Thatís just 0.6% increase in sc rpm over the 179mm pulley. I donít see how it would matter.

Established Member Three Rings brs2c's Avatar
    AZ Member #

You are fine with the CTS 180.

2013 S4, Monsoon Grey, DSG, B&O, Sport Diff, Nappa || Custom 3.5" Velocity Stack Intake, EPL Stage 2+, Fluidampr 183mm CP, EPL TCU, AMS Alpha Cooler || VMR V804's (19x9.5 et45), ECS 2-piece Rotors, Stainless Lines, 034 SB, 034 inserts.

Stage 2 Banner Advertiser Four Rings Chris@EPL's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Yes a 179-183mm will work just fine for Stage 2. Shoot me a PM for a price.
    European Performance Labs
    http://www.facebook.com/EPLabs
    https://www.instagram.com/eplabs/
    (203-345-6499)
    Chris@eplabs.net

Please feel free to contact us with any questions!!

AZ Member #

IMG_3214.JPG
    Good to see you found the problem. How do you go about cleaning that gunk up?
    11.281 @ 121.58

Quote Originally Posted by kelseysautobody View Post
    Good to see you found the problem. How do you go about cleaning that gunk up?
    Dunno. My shop is gonna do it. Iíll ask him.

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 Audi A4 3.2 Quattro; 2010 Acura RDX (my wife's vehicle)

IMG_3214.JPG

Scary. Is this predominantly an issue with Stage 2 cars or is it equally prevalent in stock and Stage 1? Excuse my ignorance.
    2014 Monsoon Gray S4 Prem+ | S-Tronic | LH Magma Nappa leather interior | Carbon Atlas inlays | Sports Diff | Adaptive Damping suspension | 19Ē peelers | MMI Nav | Bang & Olufsen | tints | VAG COM mods via OBDeleven | Autostyle Mats

Established Member Three Rings 303 Spartan's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 Audi S4 & 2016 Mazda CX5

Quote Originally Posted by doughboy17 View Post
    Scary. Is this predominantly an issue with Stage 2 cars or is it equally prevalent in stock and Stage 1? Excuse my ignorance.
    I'm curious as well. This is the first I'm hearing of this problem.
    '14 Estoril Blue S4 / EPL Stage 2 ECU & TCU
    DSG | ADS | Sport Diff | B&O | Tech Pkg | H&R OE Springs | VMR V710 19x8.5 et35 | 5mm ECS Spacers | PSS 255/35/19

AZ Member #

Should I still be seeing misfires from cylinder 3? I just replaced the intercooler on the passenger side. Got a misfire and cylinder disable under load. Spark plug? Cats?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Should I still be seeing misfires from cylinder 3? I just replaced the intercooler on the passenger side. Got a misfire and cylinder disable under load. Spark plug? Cats?

No u shouldnít be. You have to make sure that port is cleaned out real good. And change the spark plug and possibly the coil. Could both be shot from the coolant leaking on them.

AZ Member #

Yeah I plan on cleaning that port soon but I didn't know if that was the root cause or was there some other damage cause by the leaking issue. Will check the plugs and coil, thanks
    No u shouldnít be. You have to make sure that port is cleaned out real good. And change the spark plug and possibly the coil. Could both be shot from the coolant leaking on them.

Page 142 of 142 FirstFirst ... 4292132140141142