Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    C5_allroad_4.2

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I'm interested in what it took to fit the A8/D3 calipers, you noted
    "Fitted the front brakes (nightmare) had to machine a bit of the back of the carriers to accommodate the taller disc being bolted to the hub"

Any additional details?

Any idea on the Hat Height of the rotor you used?

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    C5 Allroad, D2 A8L, MK1 Jetta Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by CHRISTOPHÉ View Post
    Well it’s over 2 years since this thread and I still have the car! It’s been great and put so many miles on between us. We ended up getting a T5 which I converted to a camper and the silver Allroad went in December 2017. I’ve kept the car as it was but this week have just purchased 310mm rear brake kit and a W12 master cylinder and brake booster to improve braking further. Otherwise it’s had an occasional wash and the yearly MOT and that’s about it, except drivers window mechs as it seems to eat these!
    Did you get the Apikol rear kit?

Established Member Two Rings CHRISTOPHÉ's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2004 All lowww'd 2.5TDI 6mt

I’ll get some measurements over the next few days, no I used a set of Phaeton rear brakes, carriers and discs so it’s all OE equipment

AZ Member #
    My Garage

So.... rear brakes aren’t a direct bolt on! Having some adaptors milled as the hole centres are 1 1/2 inches out but it’s worked out well because I’ve ended up going to 335mm rear discs rather than the 310 I had ready. Hopefully I can upload some pictures once they’re fitted. Will get the master cylinder done at the same time. It took hours to mock the brackets last night.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    C5 Allroad, D2 A8L, MK1 Jetta Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by CHRISTOPHÉ View Post
    So.... rear brakes aren’t a direct bolt on! Having some adaptors milled as the hole centres are 1 1/2 inches out but it’s worked out well because I’ve ended up going to 335mm rear discs rather than the 310 I had ready. Hopefully I can upload some pictures once they’re fitted. Will get the master cylinder done at the same time. It took hours to mock the brackets last night.
    I'm using B7 S4 rears with the A8L 310mm rotors. I have a set of B5 S4 rears as well but decided to buy the B7 rears for the extra 10mm. Phaeton rears are the electric parking brake ones?

AZ Member #
    My Garage

@chris86vw how much work was it to do the body spacer removal? I’ve thought about it but never fancied it. Yet ;-)

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

HA I just started a post because my airlift stuff arrived today and wanted to make sure it was clear that all this was a part of it.

Total labor is hard to say since I did it while I was manual swapping so a lot of the parts were out already..

Rear really just remove bolts and spacers. (one more part in a minute)

Front, remove bolts and spacers, swap over engine/swaybar mount, swap over bearing housings and lower control arms.

Trickier parts driveshaft needs to be swapped out or the normal A6 center support bearing installed.. again I was doing a manual swap so just used the A6 one which made it no extra work.

I missed 2 parts on my initial swap. One is a biggie, the rad support actually is not the same and the snub mount won't line up.. I tried like an idiot and failed so I have been running without one but plan to swap it next time I have the front end apart. The other is the rear upper control arms but if retaining stock bags might have to stay. They are slightly different to fit the bags but also allegedly change the mounting hole position to accommodate the range of motion/taller ride height. I did not swap those over but will compare them shortly.

The front and rear subframes do have 4Z7 allroad part numbers, according to the SSP on the allroad (was just refreshing earlier today) the only changes were making them stronger and in the front deeper notches for the axles so they don't hit on level 4. The rear bearing housing also has a 4Z7 number but my quick measurements if I recall were the same, I plan to investigate that gain next week. I may swap the subframes if I can determine that they have a significant weight difference, but I can't come across any changes that would require them to be swapped out.

The level control arms don't fit perfectly on the A6 arms, they are a little skinnier and don't have the little retention nubs cast into them but they do fit and work, haven't had a problem

Also you do need to use the shorter bolts at least in the rear, they longer bolts are too long and bottom out. The front I think I had just tried to use the shorter A6 bolts from the start and can't confirm if they bottom out or not.
    80 rabbit pickup, 98 TJ 4bt cummins, 00 180TTQ 6spd, 02 Freelander, 03 Allroad 2.7t 6spd swap now with K04s, 06 A3 2.0T w/GT3071R (2012 JSW TDI and 2015 GSW TDI now in TDI purgatory )

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12