Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 90 of 91 FirstFirst ... 408088899091 LastLast
Results 3,561 to 3,600 of 3605
  1. #3561
    Senior Member Four Rings
    Join Date
    May 20 2017
    AZ Member #
    399735
    Location
    New Hampshire

    B8 Ko4 owners follow up thread

    Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Iím getting full boost by 27-2800 rpmís and make 295 foot pounds at the wheels before 3K so I canít see a K03 being better than that but I have a B7. Not apples to apples but your cars should make more power than me.

    K04ís are fun because itís like a K03 that can actually hold boost. The K03 starts to taper as soon as it makes peak. A K04 lets you hold that same boost for much longer. Iím in full boost for 3,000 RPMS before it starts to taper for example.

    I think the K04 is the best turbo for this car. Not the fastest turbo by any means but probably the best suited for it in general.


    Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    2005.5 A4 Avant: JHM K04R, GIAC K04 tune, RS4 PRV, RS4 fuel pump controller, Treadstone TR6 intercooler core with JHM pipe kit, CTS Turbo test pipe, ECS Tuning snub mount, 034 street tranny mount, 034 street motor mounts, ECS Tuning turbo inlet pipe, ECS Tuning RA4 clutch conversion, Billy Boat Stealth cat back, Fluidampr, H&R springs, Bilstein B4 sport shocks, ECS short shifter

  2. #3562
    Senior Member Four Rings
    Join Date
    Aug 17 2015
    AZ Member #
    349632
    Location
    Michigan/Ontario

    Quote Originally Posted by vdubjetta02 View Post
    I LOVE my K03 stage 2 torque down low.... really want a K04, I just can't make up my mind with my driving style. We have a ton of twisty canyons by my house and the responsiveness and the insane torque down low makes it fun.

    I sold my stage 2 E85 Golf R.... So I have had plenty experience with the K04 if you well, I just can't decide for my avant which route I would enjoy more
    If you are stage 2 already, don't upgrade to K04. It's not worth it. invest the money for a few years until you buy your next car.

    Quote Originally Posted by BMWManiac View Post
    That is kind of my dilemma....the stage 2 KO3 is plenty of power to a point that exceeds the legal speed limit by plenty. If going to KO4 only really serves at the higher rpm range, im not sure if the cost/benefit is there.
    K03 stage 2 is a lot of fun and fast enough to get you in trouble quickly.

    Quote Originally Posted by EvolutionArmory View Post
    Iím getting full boost by 27-2800 rpmís and make 295 foot pounds at the wheels before 3K so I canít see a K03 being better than that but I have a B7. Not apples to apples but your cars should make more power than me.

    K04ís are fun because itís like a K03 that can actually hold boost. The K03 starts to taper as soon as it makes peak. A K04 lets you hold that same boost for much longer. Iím in full boost for 3,000 RPMS before it starts to taper for example.

    I think the K04 is the best turbo for this car. Not the fastest turbo by any means but probably the best suited for it in general.
    K04 power band is indeed awesome, but for those who have already invested in stage 2 I don't think the upgrade cost is worth it.

    Also, there is no way a K04 can spool faster than a K03. It is impossible. you will definitely pick up some turbo lag when upgrading to K04.
    Last edited by A4x; 06-11-2019 at 08:26 PM.
    2011 B8 A4 ZF8HP // JHM K04-R // APR v3.1 // 034 HFC // Treadstone TR8 FMIC // Snow Performance Stage 2 WM Injection // Bilstein B12 Pro-kit // Borla Downpipe // // Rockford 8" Woofers // JL 10" Sub // 2200 W // Audison BitOne DSP

  3. #3563
    Senior Member Four Rings
    Join Date
    May 20 2017
    AZ Member #
    399735
    Location
    New Hampshire

    B8 Ko4 owners follow up thread

    My boost graph is posted on the page before this one. It spools really fast. K04ís donít lag noticeably more than K03ís. And I respectfully disagree with you about K04ís not being a noticeable upgrade over stage 2. If youíre stage 2 K03 already, the difference in going K04 is like being remapped all over again.


    Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    2005.5 A4 Avant: JHM K04R, GIAC K04 tune, RS4 PRV, RS4 fuel pump controller, Treadstone TR6 intercooler core with JHM pipe kit, CTS Turbo test pipe, ECS Tuning snub mount, 034 street tranny mount, 034 street motor mounts, ECS Tuning turbo inlet pipe, ECS Tuning RA4 clutch conversion, Billy Boat Stealth cat back, Fluidampr, H&R springs, Bilstein B4 sport shocks, ECS short shifter

  4. #3564
    Senior Member Three Rings Perry01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 22 2016
    AZ Member #
    367620
    My Garage
    Touareg V8 FSI MK7 GTI - B8.5 Q5 - B8 A4
    Location
    Hawaii and Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by A4x View Post
    Don't upgrade to K04. It's not worth it.
    I disagree. Go big or go home.
    CTS K04 / IE custom tune / Wagner FMIC / Custom ZF8 TCU tune

  5. #3565
    Senior Member Three Rings
    Join Date
    May 05 2014
    AZ Member #
    210984
    My Garage
    B8 A5
    Location
    Adelaide Australia

    If you are in the right gear then you will not notice the small amount of lag moving to K04 and then better torque, rich lushest torque, I am loving the K04 and if you add a little E85 so around E20 blend then even more torque down low and middle yum :)

  6. #3566
    Senior Member Four Rings
    Join Date
    Aug 17 2015
    AZ Member #
    349632
    Location
    Michigan/Ontario

    Quote Originally Posted by Perry01 View Post
    I disagree. Go big or go home.
    You missed the part where I said for those already invested in stage 2, don't upgrade.

    Below is a 93 octane comparison of stock, stage 2, and K04. You get most of the gains over stock by just going stage 2. Stage 2 is more powerful than K04 below 4000 rpm and only costs ~$1000.

    Upgrading to K04 at this point would cost $2000-3000 MORE and only yields marginal gains above 4000, and you lose power below 4000 rpm.



    Granted the powerband on K04 is very smooth and linear, while stage 2 snaps your neck back but then quickly dies. IMO $2000-3000 can be turned into $4000-5000 in a few years which is a nice down payment for something with 6 cylinders or instant electric torque.
    2011 B8 A4 ZF8HP // JHM K04-R // APR v3.1 // 034 HFC // Treadstone TR8 FMIC // Snow Performance Stage 2 WM Injection // Bilstein B12 Pro-kit // Borla Downpipe // // Rockford 8" Woofers // JL 10" Sub // 2200 W // Audison BitOne DSP

  7. #3567
    Senior Member Three Rings
    Join Date
    May 05 2014
    AZ Member #
    210984
    My Garage
    B8 A5
    Location
    Adelaide Australia

    The graph looks a bit suss as in the K04 makes less max torque than a stage 2 K03, I find that a bit difficult to believe. If you move from S2 K03 up to K04 you would already have a DP and probably HFC so I assume that graph has the stock DP and Cat both bottle necks.

  8. #3568
    Senior Member Four Rings
    Join Date
    Aug 17 2015
    AZ Member #
    349632
    Location
    Michigan/Ontario

    It is pretty well known that the K04 makes less peak torque than K03.

    Those graphs were made from APRs dyno charts on their website.
    2011 B8 A4 ZF8HP // JHM K04-R // APR v3.1 // 034 HFC // Treadstone TR8 FMIC // Snow Performance Stage 2 WM Injection // Bilstein B12 Pro-kit // Borla Downpipe // // Rockford 8" Woofers // JL 10" Sub // 2200 W // Audison BitOne DSP

  9. #3569
    Senior Member Three Rings
    Join Date
    Feb 08 2017
    AZ Member #
    392775
    Location
    Quebec

    I think anyone whos looking to add fun to their a4, would go k04. Stage 2 is plenty for daily driven and occasionnal spirited driving but you get a much nicer and usuable torque band, you get the peak HP of stage 2 power closer into the rev band also. The difference in peak TQ between both is nothing to fuss about, you do get it later but the power band is so much longer. Instead of being a tapering down torque curve, you get the same constant pull once you get within the proper rev range. That is a lot more fun for spririted driving or overall accelerations, whenever they do happen.

    Guess it depends on what you like driving? A car with a much more usuable power band, or a car that only shines or feels nice under 4500RPM.

  10. #3570
    Senior Member Three Rings Perry01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 22 2016
    AZ Member #
    367620
    My Garage
    Touareg V8 FSI MK7 GTI - B8.5 Q5 - B8 A4
    Location
    Hawaii and Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by A4x View Post
    Upgrading to K04 would cost $2000-3000 MORE and only yields marginal gains above 4000.
    Marginal gains above 4,000 RPM?? Maybe on your car but definitely not mine.

    Not everyone makes a cost comparison when it comes to driving enjoyment.
    CTS K04 / IE custom tune / Wagner FMIC / Custom ZF8 TCU tune

  11. #3571
    Senior Member Four Rings
    Join Date
    Aug 17 2015
    AZ Member #
    349632
    Location
    Michigan/Ontario

    Quote Originally Posted by Perry01 View Post
    Marginal gains above 4,000 RPM?? Maybe on your car but definitely not mine.

    Not everyone makes a cost comparison when it comes to driving enjoyment.
    I am referencing APRs published numbers for B8 on 93 octane:

    Stock to stage 2: +38% horsepower and +37% torque. Costs roughly $1000 over stock.
    Stage 2 to K04: +19% horsepower and -3% torque. Costs roughly $2000-3000 over stage 2.

    Marginal gains (even loss in torque) for someone looking to upgrade from stage 2.
    2011 B8 A4 ZF8HP // JHM K04-R // APR v3.1 // 034 HFC // Treadstone TR8 FMIC // Snow Performance Stage 2 WM Injection // Bilstein B12 Pro-kit // Borla Downpipe // // Rockford 8" Woofers // JL 10" Sub // 2200 W // Audison BitOne DSP

  12. #3572
    Senior Member Three Rings
    Join Date
    Feb 08 2017
    AZ Member #
    392775
    Location
    Quebec

    B8 Ko4 owners follow up thread

    Quote Originally Posted by A4x View Post
    I am referencing APRs published numbers for B8 on 93 octane:

    Stock to stage 2: +38% horsepower and +37% torque. Costs roughly $1000 over stock.
    Stage 2 to K04: +19% horsepower and -3% torque. Costs roughly $2000-3000 over stage 2.

    Marginal gains (even loss in torque) for someone looking to upgrade from stage 2.
    So all this for what? You regret your k04-r?
    Funny how wrong everything is in your post. If being able to use your Rev band past 4500 is a complete waste of your money, perhaps you shouldn't advise people on how to spend theirs.

    It's easy to see how the k04 outshines the stock turbo in every way and the -3% of torque you speak of is of no importance.

    Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

  13. #3573
    Senior Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Aug 12 2015
    AZ Member #
    348521
    My Garage
    2012 Ducati Monster 1100 Evo (red)
    Location
    Tampa, FL

    I am laggy as hell under 4k rpms. When I want to really get going, like say, to pass someone on the highway, I have the mash the throttle all the way down, wait for the car to upshift two gears, so that I can get to 4krpms and THEN the car really takes off strong...but I have NOTHING under 4k rpms

  14. #3574
    Senior Member Four Rings
    Join Date
    Aug 17 2015
    AZ Member #
    349632
    Location
    Michigan/Ontario

    Quote Originally Posted by spin0rz View Post
    So all this for what? You regret your k04-r?
    Funny how wrong everything is in your post. If being able to use your Rev band past 4500 is a complete waste of your money, perhaps you shouldn't advise people on how to spend theirs.

    It's easy to see how the k04 outshines the stock turbo in every way and the -3% of torque you speak of is of no importance.
    Just trying to state the facts and pass down my experience to others. My car is a blast to drive with K04 and really fast, I'm just not sure it was worth the added cost in the grand scheme of life and other cars out there (S or M) that might be next for me. The -3% torque is a clear indication of the added turbo lag and power band shifted towards higher RPM.

    Don't get me wrong, K04 is tons of fun. Stage 2 was also tons of fun when I first got it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mwhit02 View Post
    I am laggy as hell under 4k rpms. When I want to really get going, like say, to pass someone on the highway, I have the mash the throttle all the way down, wait for the car to upshift two gears, so that I can get to 4krpms and THEN the car really takes off strong...but I have NOTHING under 4k rpms
    I would imagine with 6MT the K04 is really fun, but with automatic you really need paddle shifters. A quick 2 clicks of the paddles for me and I have tons of power and torque.
    2011 B8 A4 ZF8HP // JHM K04-R // APR v3.1 // 034 HFC // Treadstone TR8 FMIC // Snow Performance Stage 2 WM Injection // Bilstein B12 Pro-kit // Borla Downpipe // // Rockford 8" Woofers // JL 10" Sub // 2200 W // Audison BitOne DSP

  15. #3575
    Senior Member Three Rings Perry01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 22 2016
    AZ Member #
    367620
    My Garage
    Touareg V8 FSI MK7 GTI - B8.5 Q5 - B8 A4
    Location
    Hawaii and Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by Mwhit02 View Post
    I am laggy as hell under 4k rpms. When I want to really get going, like say, to pass someone on the highway, I have the mash the throttle all the way down, wait for the car to upshift two gears, so that I can get to 4krpms and THEN the car really takes off strong...but I have NOTHING under 4k rpms
    Then you should find another tune. Mine has 20 PSI of boost at 3000 RPM and is fully spooled at 3200 RPM (matching requested boost of 22.4 PSI) and holds 20 PSI to redline. You should also log MAF to see what kind of air flow you are getting.

    CTS K04 / IE custom tune / Wagner FMIC / Custom ZF8 TCU tune

  16. #3576
    Senior Member Four Rings
    Join Date
    May 20 2017
    AZ Member #
    399735
    Location
    New Hampshire

    Quote Originally Posted by Mwhit02 View Post
    I am laggy as hell under 4k rpms. When I want to really get going, like say, to pass someone on the highway, I have the mash the throttle all the way down, wait for the car to upshift two gears, so that I can get to 4krpms and THEN the car really takes off strong...but I have NOTHING under 4k rpms
    Do you have a JHM K04R? They sent out a ton of turbos with wastegates that were only set to 6 PSI. Itís suppose to be set at 10 🤣🤣

    Mine was one of the ones they sent out fucked up. I didnít hit full boost until 4K until it got adjusted right.

    Image1560366058.103546.jpg


    Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    2005.5 A4 Avant: JHM K04R, GIAC K04 tune, RS4 PRV, RS4 fuel pump controller, Treadstone TR6 intercooler core with JHM pipe kit, CTS Turbo test pipe, ECS Tuning snub mount, 034 street tranny mount, 034 street motor mounts, ECS Tuning turbo inlet pipe, ECS Tuning RA4 clutch conversion, Billy Boat Stealth cat back, Fluidampr, H&R springs, Bilstein B4 sport shocks, ECS short shifter

  17. #3577
    Senior Member Four Rings
    Join Date
    May 20 2017
    AZ Member #
    399735
    Location
    New Hampshire

    And who cares if the peak torque number is lower when the rest of the K04 torque curve destroys a K03? Who cares if thereís 3% more peak with a K03 when the K04 makes usable torque for way longer instead of falling on its face like a K03 does?

    K03ís can make decent peak power, they just donít keep it for long...at all.

    The K04 is worth every penny over a stage 2 tune.


    Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    2005.5 A4 Avant: JHM K04R, GIAC K04 tune, RS4 PRV, RS4 fuel pump controller, Treadstone TR6 intercooler core with JHM pipe kit, CTS Turbo test pipe, ECS Tuning snub mount, 034 street tranny mount, 034 street motor mounts, ECS Tuning turbo inlet pipe, ECS Tuning RA4 clutch conversion, Billy Boat Stealth cat back, Fluidampr, H&R springs, Bilstein B4 sport shocks, ECS short shifter

  18. #3578
    Senior Member Three Rings Perry01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 22 2016
    AZ Member #
    367620
    My Garage
    Touareg V8 FSI MK7 GTI - B8.5 Q5 - B8 A4
    Location
    Hawaii and Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by A4x View Post
    I am referencing APRs published numbers for B8 on 93 octane:

    Stock to stage 2: +38% horsepower and +37% torque. Costs roughly $1000 over stock.
    Stage 2 to K04: +19% horsepower and -3% torque. Costs roughly $2000-3000 over stage 2.

    Marginal gains (even loss in torque) for someone looking to upgrade from stage 2.
    Referencing one spot on the Powerband as a comparison is ridiculous. Throughout the powerband, the K04 is far superior. If you drive under 4000 RPMs all the time maybe a K04 is not for you.

    BTW, my CTS K04 (new) and K04 tune (upgrade from Stage 2) cost less than $2,000.

  19. #3579
    Senior Member Four Rings
    Join Date
    May 20 2017
    AZ Member #
    399735
    Location
    New Hampshire

    A K04 on a B8 is a no brainer since you guys donít need injectors and other fueling upgrades to run them.

    Who wouldnít want a 12 second car for 2 grand🤣


    Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    2005.5 A4 Avant: JHM K04R, GIAC K04 tune, RS4 PRV, RS4 fuel pump controller, Treadstone TR6 intercooler core with JHM pipe kit, CTS Turbo test pipe, ECS Tuning snub mount, 034 street tranny mount, 034 street motor mounts, ECS Tuning turbo inlet pipe, ECS Tuning RA4 clutch conversion, Billy Boat Stealth cat back, Fluidampr, H&R springs, Bilstein B4 sport shocks, ECS short shifter

  20. #3580
    Veteran Member Four Rings
    Join Date
    Apr 22 2014
    AZ Member #
    191804
    My Garage
    ML350
    Location
    Sacramento

    Quote Originally Posted by Perry01 View Post
    Then you should find another tune. Mine has 20 PSI of boost at 3000 RPM and is fully spooled at 3200 RPM (matching requested boost of 22.4 PSI) and holds 20 PSI to redline. You should also log MAF to see what kind of air flow you are getting.

    I'm hoping for similar results to this!
    2011 A4 JHM K04-R : APR : EUROCODE : CTS : 034 : PUREMS : ECS TUNING : USP MOTORSPORTS : BFI : SNOW PERFORMANCE

  21. #3581
    Senior Member Three Rings Perry01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 22 2016
    AZ Member #
    367620
    My Garage
    Touareg V8 FSI MK7 GTI - B8.5 Q5 - B8 A4
    Location
    Hawaii and Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by shaunm82 View Post
    I'm hoping for similar results to this!
    Here is the multi gear log:



  22. #3582
    Senior Member Four Rings
    Join Date
    May 20 2017
    AZ Member #
    399735
    Location
    New Hampshire

    Quote Originally Posted by Perry01 View Post
    Here is the multi gear log:


    Doesnít seem like your car is set up very well and is not being able to keep up requested boost. Do you have a fucked up JHM turbo too?
    2005.5 A4 Avant: JHM K04R, GIAC K04 tune, RS4 PRV, RS4 fuel pump controller, Treadstone TR6 intercooler core with JHM pipe kit, CTS Turbo test pipe, ECS Tuning snub mount, 034 street tranny mount, 034 street motor mounts, ECS Tuning turbo inlet pipe, ECS Tuning RA4 clutch conversion, Billy Boat Stealth cat back, Fluidampr, H&R springs, Bilstein B4 sport shocks, ECS short shifter

  23. #3583
    Established Member Two Rings bb-tt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 30 2018
    AZ Member #
    417937
    My Garage
    2011 A4 Avant, 2002 TT (sold)
    Location
    DFW, TX

    My 2 cents or 2k for that matter (if you buy on sale cts ko4 is only 2k not 3-5k and ie upgrade tune only hundred and something.
    The k03 in my Avant felt extremely laggy compared to my TT. After going to k04 honestly didn't notice a difference in lag compared to the k03 but definitely noticed the extra power.

    Don't think boost is good measure for lag think you should be measuring air flow. If the ko4 is pushing the same amount of air at 15 psi as the k03 at 20psi theoretically you have same power at less boost.
    Either way if you have the money I would go for the k04. Yes it is unneeded but it is a toy and it is much more fun to play with with the k04.
    I absolutely despise lag but accept that if I want the Avant it will be slower to spool than the TT was. Quite honestly if you are really concerned about lag go get a gen3 motor with an is turbo on it.
    Nothing to see here, keep moving!

  24. #3584
    Senior Member Three Rings Perry01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 22 2016
    AZ Member #
    367620
    My Garage
    Touareg V8 FSI MK7 GTI - B8.5 Q5 - B8 A4
    Location
    Hawaii and Utah

    Quote Originally Posted by EvolutionArmory View Post
    Doesnít seem like your car is set up very well and is not being able to keep up requested boost. Do you have a fucked up JHM turbo too?
    No hybrid turbo here. Itís a genuine Borg Warner K04-0064. Nevermind requested boost, here is actual boost and timing on a 1st-4th gear pull.



    It does 0-60 in 4.26 seconds (factoring in. A 1í rollout)



    And a 1/4 mile in 12.83 seconds. Keep in mind this is in a 4,000 lb. Q5. These numbers are equal to some Stage 2 SQ5ís with a 3.0T. So, itís tuned close to perfection.

    CTS K04 / IE custom tune / Wagner FMIC / Custom ZF8 TCU tune

  25. #3585
    Senior Member Four Rings
    Join Date
    Aug 17 2015
    AZ Member #
    349632
    Location
    Michigan/Ontario

    Quote Originally Posted by bb-tt View Post
    My 2 cents or 2k for that matter (if you buy on sale cts ko4 is only 2k not 3-5k and ie upgrade tune only hundred and something.
    I said the K04 costs $2-3k. If you invested this money it could be $3000-5000 in a few years when it's time to buy a better car.

    The CTS turbo is $2400 new and your HFC won't fit. +$120 for the cat if you want to have any chance of passing emissions.

    APR is probably ripping us off on the upgrade from stage 2.
    2011 B8 A4 ZF8HP // JHM K04-R // APR v3.1 // 034 HFC // Treadstone TR8 FMIC // Snow Performance Stage 2 WM Injection // Bilstein B12 Pro-kit // Borla Downpipe // // Rockford 8" Woofers // JL 10" Sub // 2200 W // Audison BitOne DSP

  26. #3586
    Established Member Two Rings bb-tt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 30 2018
    AZ Member #
    417937
    My Garage
    2011 A4 Avant, 2002 TT (sold)
    Location
    DFW, TX

    Quote Originally Posted by A4x View Post
    I said the K04 costs $2-3k. If you invested this money it could be $3000-5000 in a few years when it's time to buy a better car.

    The CTS turbo is $2400 new and your HFC won't fit. +$120 for the cat if you want to have any chance of passing emissions.

    APR is probably ripping us off on the upgrade from stage 2.
    The sale back in Sept was $2070 including tax with hfc.
    Neither here nor there though everybody has there own desires I wanted an Avant so I put up with the lag compared to the TT. Others don't want to put up with any lag at all so for them the best bet is to goto the gen3 motor. My personal experience is that I don't really notice the difference in lag between the k03 and k04. Will have to go back and look at logs to see how much air was being pushed stage 2 vs the k04 at 2000-4000 rpm.
    On a side note I have investments this was my play money. If i
    did not have investments I agree the money would be better invested even at a normal rate of return. I believe it would take more than a few years to turn $2070 into 3-5k though.
    Nothing to see here, keep moving!

  27. #3587
    Established Member Two Rings bb-tt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 30 2018
    AZ Member #
    417937
    My Garage
    2011 A4 Avant, 2002 TT (sold)
    Location
    DFW, TX

    Oh just noticed you are using the JHM K04 and APR tune. Don't know how much of a difference it makes. I have cts and ie tune so not really comparing apples to apples.
    Nothing to see here, keep moving!

  28. #3588
    Active Member One Ring
    Join Date
    Jan 11 2019
    AZ Member #
    441345
    Location
    Vegas

    Newbie to the forums here.

    Old turbo was going bad so I figured why not replace it with a k04!

    Loving the upgrade so far and definitely worth it for the Avant lovers.

    Was Stage 2 before then went:
    - HPA k04
    - HPA Intake Manifold
    - IE FMIC
    - Stage 2 Snow Performance Water/Meth Injection
    - Custom Dyno ECU/TCU tune

    Will post Dyno sheet....

  29. #3589
    Established Member Two Rings Comfy Pursuit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 03 2017
    AZ Member #
    406290
    My Garage
    Audi SQ5
    Location
    Denver, CO

    Quote Originally Posted by dadwgn View Post
    Newbie to the forums here.

    Old turbo was going bad so I figured why not replace it with a k04!

    Loving the upgrade so far and definitely worth it for the Avant lovers.

    Was Stage 2 before then went:
    - HPA k04
    - HPA Intake Manifold
    - IE FMIC
    - Stage 2 Snow Performance Water/Meth Injection
    - Custom Dyno ECU/TCU tune

    Will post Dyno sheet....
    Who did your custom ECU/TCU and what is your year and model (e.g. 2009 Avant). Assume this was for a 2.0T motor...

  30. #3590
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Jan 04 2018
    AZ Member #
    412037
    Location
    Modesto

    I have been running the stock N75 on my CTS K04 Turbo instead of the provided N75 from CTS for the past 10k+ miles. Is there a difference at all with the CTS one?

  31. #3591
    Active Member One Ring
    Join Date
    Jan 11 2019
    AZ Member #
    441345
    Location
    Vegas

    Quote Originally Posted by Comfy Pursuit View Post
    Who did your custom ECU/TCU and what is your year and model (e.g. 2009 Avant). Assume this was for a 2.0T motor...
    Yah you nailed!

    2009 a4 Avant

    Conservative Safe Tune at 20-22psi

    [IMG][/IMG]

  32. #3592
    Established Member Two Rings bb-tt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 30 2018
    AZ Member #
    417937
    My Garage
    2011 A4 Avant, 2002 TT (sold)
    Location
    DFW, TX

    Just looked at a log from my k04 vs the stg2 k03, by 2600 RPM the K04 is pushing 120g/s vs K03 93 g/s, at 3000 rpm 145g/s vs 130 g/s, at 3200 rmp 165g/s vs 139 gs, at 3500 rpm 176 g/s vs 151 g/s, 3800 rpm 219 g/s vs 165g/s, this was with a tune that they were still tweaking for the k04.

    My k03 maxed out in the 220s and the k04 maxed out at 330g/s.

    I have not logged since they sent me an updated tune, waiting till i get a chance to install my inter-cooler. The TDI IC could not keep up with the ko4 (you were right Perry) although it did fine for the stage 2 tune.

    I will say again boost is not a good determination of power, the more air you flow the more power you make.
    Nothing to see here, keep moving!

  33. #3593
    Established Member Two Rings Depthcharge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 15 2007
    AZ Member #
    22609
    Location
    DFW, TX

    I'd be interested to see a performance intake manifold for the ethanol engine variants with the 5th injector. Any of you upgrading the intake after your IC and downpipe?

  34. #3594
    Senior Member Four Rings
    Join Date
    May 20 2017
    AZ Member #
    399735
    Location
    New Hampshire

    Quote Originally Posted by bb-tt View Post
    Just looked at a log from my k04 vs the stg2 k03, by 2600 RPM the K04 is pushing 120g/s vs K03 93 g/s, at 3000 rpm 145g/s vs 130 g/s, at 3200 rmp 165g/s vs 139 gs, at 3500 rpm 176 g/s vs 151 g/s, 3800 rpm 219 g/s vs 165g/s, this was with a tune that they were still tweaking for the k04.

    My k03 maxed out in the 220s and the k04 maxed out at 330g/s.

    I have not logged since they sent me an updated tune, waiting till i get a chance to install my inter-cooler. The TDI IC could not keep up with the ko4 (you were right Perry) although it did fine for the stage 2 tune.

    I will say again boost is not a good determination of power, the more air you flow the more power you make.
    Right. Youíre flowing 20-25% more air throughout the entire RMP range and flowing more than 30% more at peak.

    People who say the K04 isnít a good upgrade over stage 2 havenít looked at the data that says otherwise.

    Boost measured from one turbo like a K03 VS a K04 is meaningless. Even more meaningless if you compare a K03 to something bigger like a GTX. A GTX car running just on wastegate pressure will probably smoke a K03 car at the track 🤣 That example might be a little exaggerated but I think most will get the point.


    Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    2005.5 A4 Avant: JHM K04R, GIAC K04 tune, RS4 PRV, RS4 fuel pump controller, Treadstone TR6 intercooler core with JHM pipe kit, CTS Turbo test pipe, ECS Tuning snub mount, 034 street tranny mount, 034 street motor mounts, ECS Tuning turbo inlet pipe, ECS Tuning RA4 clutch conversion, Billy Boat Stealth cat back, Fluidampr, H&R springs, Bilstein B4 sport shocks, ECS short shifter

  35. #3595
    Senior Member Four Rings
    Join Date
    Aug 17 2015
    AZ Member #
    349632
    Location
    Michigan/Ontario

    Then why do APR's dyno figures clearly show less power being made by the K04 below 4000 rpm?
    2011 B8 A4 ZF8HP // JHM K04-R // APR v3.1 // 034 HFC // Treadstone TR8 FMIC // Snow Performance Stage 2 WM Injection // Bilstein B12 Pro-kit // Borla Downpipe // // Rockford 8" Woofers // JL 10" Sub // 2200 W // Audison BitOne DSP

  36. #3596
    Senior Member Four Rings
    Join Date
    May 20 2017
    AZ Member #
    399735
    Location
    New Hampshire

    Quote Originally Posted by A4x View Post
    Then why do APR's dyno figures clearly show less power being made by the K04 below 4000 rpm?
    Who knows. Different dyno, different car, different season, different upgrades. Who knows.

    Unless you dyno stage 2 and K04 both on the same car, same dyno, same supporting mods like exhaust and intercooler and under very similar ambient conditions, the data can change man.

    For me, mass air flow logs are the best way to gauge performance increases. I logged MAF readings as low as 225 peak with my K04R and their joke of a beta K04 file. Made wastegate adjustments according to log data and gained 25gs everywhere in the powerband. I gave up on JHM ever making a real tune for my car and went with GIAC. Did logs, made more adjustments and now I see 282gs on the MAF which is actually pretty good for a B7 car. You B8 guys should be see 300gs or more peak MAF. The car boogies now compared to when I first went K04. But I knew I was making progress because the data was from the same car, same mods, etc.

    You canít really compare one car to another. Know what I mean?


    Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    2005.5 A4 Avant: JHM K04R, GIAC K04 tune, RS4 PRV, RS4 fuel pump controller, Treadstone TR6 intercooler core with JHM pipe kit, CTS Turbo test pipe, ECS Tuning snub mount, 034 street tranny mount, 034 street motor mounts, ECS Tuning turbo inlet pipe, ECS Tuning RA4 clutch conversion, Billy Boat Stealth cat back, Fluidampr, H&R springs, Bilstein B4 sport shocks, ECS short shifter

  37. #3597
    Established Member Three Rings
    Join Date
    Nov 11 2017
    AZ Member #
    409695
    Location
    Denver, Colorado

    Boost pressure and g/s are great for diagnosis. But as said here not an indication of true power production.

    Example, I know that I make A LOT more Torque and some more Hp on E85 than 91 but flow the same amount of g/s and lower boost by a couple psi....itís all made with timing.


    Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

  38. #3598
    Established Member Two Rings bb-tt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 30 2018
    AZ Member #
    417937
    My Garage
    2011 A4 Avant, 2002 TT (sold)
    Location
    DFW, TX

    Quote Originally Posted by A4x View Post
    Then why do APR's dyno figures clearly show less power being made by the K04 below 4000 rpm?
    My guess would be that APR's tune is more conservative or their hybrid K04 is more restrictive than the Borg Warner K04, or both.
    Nothing to see here, keep moving!

  39. #3599
    Established Member Two Rings bb-tt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 30 2018
    AZ Member #
    417937
    My Garage
    2011 A4 Avant, 2002 TT (sold)
    Location
    DFW, TX

    Quote Originally Posted by EvolutionArmory View Post
    Who knows. Different dyno, different car, different season, different upgrades. Who knows.

    Unless you dyno stage 2 and K04 both on the same car, same dyno, same supporting mods like exhaust and intercooler and under very similar ambient conditions, the data can change man.

    For me, mass air flow logs are the best way to gauge performance increases. I logged MAF readings as low as 225 peak with my K04R and their joke of a beta K04 file. Made wastegate adjustments according to log data and gained 25gs everywhere in the powerband. I gave up on JHM ever making a real tune for my car and went with GIAC. Did logs, made more adjustments and now I see 282gs on the MAF which is actually pretty good for a B7 car. You B8 guys should be see 300gs or more peak MAF. The car boogies now compared to when I first went K04. But I knew I was making progress because the data was from the same car, same mods, etc.

    You canít really compare one car to another. Know what I mean?


    Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    Will dyno mine after i get the ic installed and ensure the tune is optimized for a comparison. Unfortunately will be a different dyno since i moved to DFW. only other changes will be the IC and it now has HFC inplace of the test pipe. Only doing the dyno for S&Gs, my logs show i am making way more power and driving experience is night and day.

    Not saying everyone should go get a K04, but if you were going to blow $2K on something else i would chose the k04 again every time.
    Nothing to see here, keep moving!

  40. #3600
    Established Member Two Rings bb-tt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 30 2018
    AZ Member #
    417937
    My Garage
    2011 A4 Avant, 2002 TT (sold)
    Location
    DFW, TX

    Quote Originally Posted by JLAllroad View Post
    Boost pressure and g/s are great for diagnosis. But as said here not an indication of true power production.

    Example, I know that I make A LOT more Torque and some more Hp on E85 than 91 but flow the same amount of g/s and lower boost by a couple psi....itís all made with timing.


    Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    Agreed no single factor determines power; boost, flow, fuel, timing, temp, humidity all play into it.
    Nothing to see here, keep moving!

Page 90 of 91 FirstFirst ... 408088899091 LastLast


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


    © 2001-2019 Audizine, Audizine.com, and Driverzines.com
    Audizine is an independently owned and operated automotive enthusiast community and news website.
    Audi and the Audi logo(s) are copyright/trademark Audi AG. Audizine is not endorsed by or affiliated with Audi AG.