Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    Senior Member Two Rings Ali SC3's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B7 A4 2.7t

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Yeah the master lines I can order online, I didn't grab them as they were cut. It is the other 2 that are on the opposite side...

I had an idea though, If I flip the abs unit around so the connector faces the other way, then those 2 lines will be alot closer to where they need to be and can maybe do it with a couple bends.
    Will have to see if the connector will reach around that far but it will mount backwards on the a6 mount I removed with it. just need to make sure it will fit in the car but looks like it should.

When I get around to doing it I will add some detailed pics. I did end up getting a BEL ecu but if it wont fix the problem then there isn't really a reason for me to get it to work with my harness.
    Might be a while since I took the vette apart to install manual pedals (preparing for T56 swap), and basically overhaul the entire brake system and going to a hydroboost setup at the same time.

Veteran Member Four Rings blitz2190's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2004 A4 1.8T Quattro, 2.7T swap Stage 3 APR 6 speed

that may be what kristof did as well, to bad hes not around the forums anymore to ask. I personally have not swapped it but did the wiring diagram using kristof to test.
    Never argue with an idiot, they'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
    2.7T Swap Wiring Guide (Psst this is a link)
    New Build In progress built 2.7 STK 2004 B6 A4- Thread and pic to come

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B7 A4 2.7t

I decided to get the parts to do the abs swap. I have the abs unit so I ordered the master to abs unit lines from a b6 a4, and for the 2 hoses that are on the wrong side I got flexible extension lines that are female to male 10mmx1 and I think about 10" long. I think 10mm is the right size so we shall see when it arrives. They are normally brake lines for a Vw bug, rear with IFS apparently.

goal is to get it in the car and the brakes bled, then I will mess with the wiring at a later date.

Veteran Member Four Rings tankdeer's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    A Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Ali SC3 View Post
    I decided to get the parts to do the abs swap. I have the abs unit so I ordered the master to abs unit lines from a b6 a4, and for the 2 hoses that are on the wrong side I got flexible extension lines that are female to male 10mmx1 and I think about 10" long. I think 10mm is the right size so we shall see when it arrives. They are normally brake lines for a Vw bug, rear with IFS apparently.

goal is to get it in the car and the brakes bled, then I will mess with the wiring at a later date.
    Let me know how that goes. I have the full ABS and lines from a parts car, but have been busy trying to get the thing to run before attempting the swap. I was told you could easily bend the hardlines and make it work. Haven't investigated much yet. I did see that it appears the B6 ABS bracket is different so I might need to snag that if the module won't fit the B7. Not sure yet

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B7 A4 2.7t

I was staring at it for a good while and couldn't see how to bend it where it needs to go without several bends or weakening the lines.
    I will take another look when I uninstall it and mount the new (older) abs unit.

I figured extension would be the easiest and safest solution, cause if I mess up the hardline then that is more difficult to replace.
    will keep you posted when it happens, or if you get to it first let me know =)

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    A Unicorn

Ha ha. Will do.

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by silva View Post
    Correct. I even found a document with all possible ABS 8.0 coding options but I still couldn't get the ABS to be happy with the BEL ECU. Someone with more knowledge might have been able to do it, but not me. I guess one test would be to try an ME7.1.1 ECU out of a B6 into a B7. If that could be made to work, perhaps flashing a B6 ME7.1.1 ECU to work with with a BEL might work. I initially thought I could program the BEL ECU to also do cruise over CAN (like in a B6), but I could not find someone that knew enough about it to make it work.
    Could please share ABS 8.0 coding options. Been looking all over for this.
    thanx.

Sent from my SM-G950N using Audizine mobile app

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B7 A4 2.7t

That would be great if someone figures it out before I downgrade

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B7 A4 2.7t

Just wanted to update that the car has been running 100%. Everything is done except the abs downgrade which I decided I am not going to bother with since it brakes so well already.
    Even got the reverse wires connected, the a/c fully operational, and even installed a proper flex-a-lite fan controller to control both fans according to temp and a/c signal.
    also installed an android headunit that has the torque pro app which turns out is pretty awesome cause you can get all the sensors to show up as gauges.

I'll actually be listing up the car for sale soon as I got another project and the car has just been sitting for the last few months, so if anyone is interested get in touch with me.
    I'll throw up an ad here in a couple weeks, been a little busy preparing for a move.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    A Unicorn

If you're going to sell it then I would 100% do the ABS. It'll be better to sell a car that is 100%. Plus then you don't have xmas tree on the dash

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B7 A4 2.7t

If I get some extra time I may do it but it brakes so good I don't really want to mess with it. we shall see, I do have the parts for it actually.
    I figured most people who are in the market for this kind of 2.7t swapped car would know whats up and could decide if they want to do it.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    A Unicorn

Brakes being good doesn't mitigate having ABS and traction control for emergency stops or (unintentional) loss of traction.

Senior Member Four Rings b7_Andy's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Want to trade engines? Iím sure you could sell the car for just as much with a drop-in 3.2 lol

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B7 A4 2.7t

If someone needs traction control they can buy a regular a4 or finish it themselves. I didn't think it detracts from the main swap being completed, but I could be wrong on that. I am not sure if the abs is actually disabled, just the light is on the dash for no communication with the main ecu.

I think I am good on swapping audi engines for a little while lol.
    If you buy mine then you won't have to do too much more work
    Really I don't want to sell it, but apparently I have too many cars now.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    A Unicorn

Just my opinion. Figured it would be more desirable to buyers as a complete swap instead of being mostly complete

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B7 A4 2.7t

I get what you are saying but I don't have the time to do it right now, if its a big deal for the potential buyer then I will try and make it happen.
    If you want to come out and swap it then I'll buy you a plane ticket and all the beer and junkfood it takes.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    A Unicorn

That's actually kinda tempting, ha ha

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B7 A4 2.7t

I may try and see if I can set aside some time to do the swap in a few weeks just so it is "complete" then.. lol.
    Did you do the swap on yours yet? It really doesn't look too bad actually and I do have all the parts.

I had a thought on tackling the problem a different way, what about sticking a 2.0t ecu in alongside the 2.7t ecu, and give it power and ground and can bus connections so it can talk to the abs controller.
    only thing I can think of is that having 2 ecu's sending messages on can bus could confuse stuff in the car... or it might work just fine and I have no idea which way it would go.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    A Unicorn

Oh yeah. Did the swap on ours like 3 weeks after the first start. It's not terrible. Bending the hardlines was annoying. As was running the extra wires to the yaw rate sensor. The rest is very straightforward. If you don't have it already grab the B6 ABS mounting bracket too.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B7 A4 2.7t

Do you have to replace any of the pins for different size/shape ones, or is it simply a remove pin and re-insert in different spot type of deal?

nice on being able to bend the hardlines, if you could snap a pic for me that would be nice as I will just go ahead and do it then when I get some time.
    I do have those extension lines I bought also, and I have the mounting bracket off the a6, I think one of them should mount up.

I do have the yaw sensor also, did you put it behind the stereo or somewhere else? sorry to bug you just don't want to run into too many unknowns on this one.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    A Unicorn

Not the best, but you get the idea

AS for the wiring, the pins are all different between the B6 and B7. Just like the body plugs. So you have to cut and splice each wire. But probably 97% of them are the same color so it's pretty quick

And yeah, yaw rate sensor behind the HVAC. Same place as the stock one

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B7 A4 2.7t

Cool, thanks a bunch that clears up the last few details for me. will get on it in a couple weeks after I get this move wrapped up and i'll try and take some pics of the process.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B7 A4 2.7t

Car is currently up for sale as I haven't been using it much and don't have the time for the abs swap.
    Everything else is working great, if you are interested let me know and will make a deal for AZ members.
    link: https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...-and-2-7T-swap

Established Member Two Rings Joshlc1988's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    06 a4 s line 6mt, 95 s10 zr2

I been reading over this thread for the past several days. Great information! Iím about to start the process on mine and Iím torn on making my own harness or having someone do it for me. I have a few questions regarding the wiring if you donít mind.

Iím wanting to reuse my 2.0t harness side body plugs and remove the a6 body plugs completely. I believe this is how you did it correct? Id rather no make a jumper harness.

When you repinnd your plugs did you cut and solder the wires to reuse the pins or is there somewhere to buy the correct crimp pins for the b7 plugs? And has blitz info been updated with your findings?

Again great build man! I was kinda sad to get the the last page and see where itís for sale lol.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    A Unicorn

You can't reuse the pins, they're totally different. Cut and solder is your best bet

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B7 A4 2.7t

Yeah I used the 2.0t plugs and did it without making a jumper harness.

some of the pins/wires will come right out of the 2.7t body plugs and go right into the 2.0t body plugs.
    The actual pins had minor differences but the ones that are the same size on both plugs I was able to just swap over to the new connector.
    maybe less than half of the pins were that way. some of them just had an ear on one side sticking up that you can bend flat.
    you will see when you have them out next to each other but take away is most of them are cut and solder.

The other ones wouldn't swap over even if they were similar sizes, or they were clearly different sizes on each plug.
    I cut and soldered these wires using a donor 2.0t harness/plugs.

basically try sticking the 2.7t one into the 2.0t one, and if it doesn't go in easily and lock, then cut and solder.
    With the right diagram and planning it is not difficult but takes some extra work.

Blitz's was pretty close except for a few things I noted in this thread, I want to say he updated a few but a couple were not updated.
    I also ran a couple power wires differently then he said because it just made more sense to do it the way I did.
    I can see if I have those messages as I sent the info to someone and post it if you need it. Most of the guide is correct though.

The jumper isn't a bad idea also because you can swap harnesses later more easily, sometimes these harnesses get brittle etc..
    mine was in really good shape so I just did the conversion on that one, I wont be swapping harnesses or need to, but if that is something you want then think about that.

Alot of the jumper harnesses I have seen use those stupid crimp connectors on them. I would never put one of those one my car.
    If you do get one of those, take the silly crimp connectors off and connect the wires together with a real connector or at the very least solder them.

I haven't sold it yet and have been leaning towards keeping it and if I do I will go single turbo sometime next year along with the abs stuff.
    The car is just too nice to sell it for less than I have into it, and I haven't gotten a serious offer yet which is a little surprising to me.
    I might have too many cars but I do enjoy all of them and don't have to sell them =)

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Thank you for that info. Iím still currently debating making a jumper harnes or not. Now Iím thinking about what you said about the harness getting brittle so a jumper makes more sense there. I biggest worry is getting the relays set up to power everything correctly. Iíve read many times that the more commonly available jumper harness doesnít power things correctly. From what Iím gathering Iíll need at least 3 separate 30amp relays. One to run the fuel pump. An one each for the injector power and coil power. Then they can be tied to the ecu to cut power Incase of an accident correct?

And yes I have to agree those ugly cheap crimp connectors look like a short waiting to happen lol. If I decide to go that route Iíll be using a high quality connector. Only reason I mention that is because my soldering skills are marginal at best.

I really hope you end up keeping your car. A nice single turbo setup would be a good end game for mecís old ride. Iím debating doing a single setup right from the start. Thatíll give me a good reason to unclutter the back of the engine and reroute the pcv setup and some wires. If you could find those old messages and send them to me that would be great! I have no worries with the hardware and fabrication part but the wiring does havee worried

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B7 A4 2.7t

this is from when I was helping tankdeer figure out the relays, so he may have some more insight as to the specifics since its been over a year now.

This is in reference to blitz's wiring guide. I think what he wrote would work, but I did not do it that way.
    I did not think it was worth it to seperate the injectors out because the ecu can also control the fuel pump and triggering of the injectors.
    In a crash I would think the fuel pump would be the first thing the ecu shut's off and we have that wired right with the fuel pump relay, so its all good already.
    If a B7 has it separated so the ecu can control it and the 2.7t harness does not have it separated, then the 2.7t ecu probably doesn't even have that feature... so it made sense to leave it not seperated to me.

I could be wrong on the injector separation I suppose but I am pretty sure all ecu's stop the fuel pump in a crash.
    worst case if it does work and you did not separate them out, it would also cut power to the coils and all the other stuff on that circuit.. which is fine in a crash.

The main relay I added is triggered off ignition (there are 12v wires that go live with the key on on the car side of the body plugs already).
    The fuel pump relay has a trigger from the ecu which is a switched ground.

here is the message I sent minus the extra bits.

I didn't follow his wiring exactly on the power wires to be honest, he had a few relays on the body plugs triggering off of different things, and something about seperating the injector harness wiring from the rest of the car. I did not do that, I just powered up the 12v circuits and added relays triggered off the ignition (one of the body plug wires goes live when ignition or running). I think he said it was so ecu can cut injectors, but the ecu can cut the fuel pump in an accident since i have the fuel pump wired off a relay using the fuel pump trigger, so I didn't feel the need for that step, seemed unecesaary to me.
    Everything on the car is working fine wired this way.

There was one little wire that gets 12V all the time, to keep memory or something for the ecu.
    I think I had another relay for a big 12v power for the ecu and o2 sensors and various other vsv's on that circuit and cam sensor stuff etc.. (you get a bunch of codes if it isnt powered).
    and I had one relay for the fuel pump and a new power wire going to the pump...

initially I had one of the main 12v wires getting power all the time, i think it was the one that powers the o2 and a bunch of sensors I mentioned above, but that would drain the battery so I just put it on a relay with I think the ignition trigger, I don't think it was the fuel pump one.

I did it like over a year ago so I might be a bit fuzzy on the details but I am 99% sure that the ecu puts out a switched ground for the fuel pump.

I think he was going for the 100% way audi would have wired it, but at the end of the day they just need to have relays giving 12v to the stuff that needs it, and it should only be powered with key on so you don't drain your battery. I saw no need to cut up my harness further for separating out the injector circuits.

hope that helps
    Last edited by Ali SC3; 12-06-2018 at 03:31 PM.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    A Unicorn

I didn't separate the injectors either (Actually I did, but I reversed it). They are ground triggered from the ECU and are low current, so a relay isn't necessary. If the ECU wants to cut power to them, it will do so exactly like it does on a B5 (I don't even know if it's a thing on that ECU or not)

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B7 A4 V6 2.5TDI, Tiguan SE 4Mo, MK2 PD150 4Mo, B7 A4 2.0t

Quote Originally Posted by tankdeer View Post
    Oh yeah. Did the swap on ours like 3 weeks after the first start. It's not terrible. Bending the hardlines was annoying. As was running the extra wires to the yaw rate sensor. The rest is very straightforward. If you don't have it already grab the B6 ABS mounting bracket too.
    Hi, could you give me few details?

I'm finishing my V6 2.5tdi swap into my B7 A4 ans ABS isn't working with my edc15 ecu. Got an ABS module from a 2005 A4 1.8t M6 with the wiring, bracket and lines from master to module.

Thanks

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    A Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by X@V View Post
    Hi, could you give me few details?

I'm finishing my V6 2.5tdi swap into my B7 A4 ans ABS isn't working with my edc15 ecu. Got an ABS module from a 2005 A4 1.8t M6 with the wiring, bracket and lines from master to module.

Thanks
    I don't know if there is more details to give. The wiring is in blitz's 2.7 wiring thread. The hardlines you just have to bend to fit the locations on the B6 module as they're different

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I didn't separate the injectors either (Actually I did, but I reversed it). They are ground triggered from the ECU and are low current, so a relay isn't necessary. If the ECU wants to cut power to them, it will do so exactly like it does on a B5 (I don't even know if it's a thing on that ECU or not)
    See thatís exactly what I was thinking. The injectors are always powered, and the ecu just grounds them. Iím gonna try it the way you guys did it since it works fine. Iíd rather not cut up a harness more then needed.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage

I don't know if there is more details to give. The wiring is in blitz's 2.7 wiring thread. The hardlines you just have to bend to fit the locations on the B6 module as they're different
    About the yaw sensor... It's what I need tout know. I'm doing it now.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    A Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by X@V View Post
    About the yaw sensor... It's what I need tout know. I'm doing it now.
    I followed the wiring in blitz's thread. You can reuse some of the wires from the B7 yaw rate harness, but the B6 has a couple more that you will need to run

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage

Thanks for help!!
    2006 A4 V6 2.5tdi Quattro
    2008 A4 2.0t s-line Quattro

Wagon life!

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    A Unicorn

NP. The only difficult part of running the wires is that it's tight quarters. I ran them through the fender, into the kick panel, under the dash and to the sensor.

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage

After a 2.5tdi swap, it's not a big problem, haha!
    2006 A4 V6 2.5tdi Quattro
    2008 A4 2.0t s-line Quattro

Wagon life!

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B7 A4 2.7t

tankdeer, you will happy to know I decided to tackle the abs swap this winter. Since I am keeping the car now I want to get it all done.
    also going to throw some stock b7 s4 springs on the car to bring the ride height back to stock and compensate for the extra engine weight.

The 2.0t lowering springs are sitting too low for my taste but I am sure some people love the slammed look.
    I actually thought about a slight lift and rally look with some all terrains.. but my brother talked some sense back into me lol.

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Ali SC3 View Post
    tankdeer, you will happy to know I decided to tackle the abs swap this winter. Since I am keeping the car now I want to get it all done.
    also going to throw some stock b7 s4 springs on the car to bring the ride height back to stock and compensate for the extra engine weight.

The 2.0t lowering springs are sitting too low for my taste but I am sure some people love the slammed look.
    I actually thought about a slight lift and rally look with some all terrains.. but my brother talked some sense back into me lol.
    you can put b5 spring perches while you swapping springs to get few mm lowering on factory s4 springs

Sent from my SM-G950N using Audizine mobile app

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B7 A4 2.7t

I was looking into that but it seems those work for just the factory shocks so I would have to pick up a pair of those.
    Right now I have the Koni/Eibach fsd lowering kit on it and I don't think those perches work with them.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011