Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings sleuthnorange's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Ford Explorer

A4 B6 2010+ RNS-E - AMI retrofit doable?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hi All,

I have searched all over the web and forums but have not found definitive answers about integrating an AMI unit into an A4 B6 (Audi Music Interface) with a RNS-E 2010+ (newer version). If it is possible, could someone please list the part numbers needed for the AMI module integration and the steps associated with going about this. I have read that people who have an A3 with 2010+ RNS-E have been able to do it but no talk of people with a B6 A4 and 2010+ RNS-E completing the retrofit. Any help you guys can give would be appreciated. I don't want to throw money at something that is not going to work.
    Last edited by sleuthnorange; 06-28-2015 at 07:37 PM.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Ford Explorer

Just wanted to let everyone who has read this post that I went through with the retrofit of the AMI in my A4 B6 and was successful. I built my own harness to make it happen and it all worked out. If anyone is really interested let me know and I will consider writing up a DIY. This again is only possible with the RNS-E PU (2010+ Model).

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by sleuthnorange View Post
    Just wanted to let everyone who has read this post that I went through with the retrofit of the AMI in my A4 B6 and was successful. I built my own harness to make it happen and it all worked out. If anyone is really interested let me know and I will consider writing up a DIY. This again is only possible with the RNS-E PU (2010+ Model).
    Hi,
    I've been trying to do the same thing in my B7, but haven't found the cheapest compatible part number regarding the AMI. From my understanding only the 8P0035785 and 8P0057785 units work with the RNS-E 2010 units, and that the 8T0 units do not work. Any insight you could share would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Ford Explorer

As far as I know the 8T0 units DO NOT work. I picked a 8P0035785 unit off eBay a month ago for $150.00 including shipping. I did enough poking around to find out that the two units you mentioned were the only two that worked. There are some 8T0 units out there that are dirt cheap but I didn't want to risk it. If you have any more questions let me know.

AZ Member #

Thanks, guess I'll try to keep searching around for a cheap unit. Haven't found anything under $300 though. I'll start there and reach out if and when I finally get my hands on one

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Ford Explorer

I literally searched eBay everyday multiple times a day. I searched using the part numbers and things like "Audi AMI." I basically tried every search query you can think of. I got mine from the UK.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZ Member #

I've been on the same boat. I almost felt guilty lurking eBay as much as I do. Knowing someone else does it makes me feel better
    Last edited by nnlugo; 07-27-2015 at 04:27 PM.

Veteran Member Four Rings CyberPMG's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2004 A4 1.8T Ultrasport 6MQ

I picked up my AMI retrofit kit from eBay and worked perfectly with my RNS-E Mk II.

Here's one such kit on eBay right now: Click here
    USP CLUB MEMBER #34

2004 A4 1.8T USP - GT2871R Eliminator - Motoza program - Over 370k miles!
    2015 S5 - Sepang Blue - 6spd w/ Sport Diff - stock(ish)

Veteran Member Three Rings outsider6661's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2008 RS4

What harness did you use with the AMI to get it to work?? Was it the quadlock harness like the one in the ebay link that was posted??
    "I HAVE NOT YET BEGUN TO FIGHT"

WWCC INC.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I bought the complete retrofit AMI kit from ebay which came with the quadlock harness. For connection setup, I have the following:

OEM connectors -> RNS-E adapter harness -> Bluetooth harness -> AMI harness -> RNS-E
    USP CLUB MEMBER #34

Veteran Member Three Rings outsider6661's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2008 RS4

Sorry to clutter up the thread but was this the harness you received your ami??

[IMG][/IMG]

or did you receive this one??

[IMG][/IMG]

Thanks for your time and patience!
    "I HAVE NOT YET BEGUN TO FIGHT"

WWCC INC.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by outsider6661 View Post
    Sorry to clutter up the thread but was this the harness you received your ami??

[IMG][/IMG]

or did you receive this one??

[IMG][/IMG]

Thanks for your time and patience!
    My Bluetooth kit came with the 2nd adapter harness.
    USP CLUB MEMBER #34

Veteran Member Four Rings Kittrell's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '05 A4 USP, '01.5 S4

Quote Originally Posted by CyberPMG View Post
    My Bluetooth kit came with the 2nd adapter harness.
    So OEM/Quadlock to Qualock/Quadlock. See any reason someone with enough patience couldn't eliminate one of those?

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Seems the OEM/Quadlock adapter has an input plug for a tel/mute connection. Thing is, the B6 never had a Bluetooth option. Instead, it had a hard wired phone option (remember the Moto V60 flip phone?) that would interact with the Symphony II / Concert setup. Bluetooth is an item introduced with the B7 along with the RNS-E. Therefore, you need the Quadlock harness to the control module and have full control and interaction of your phone through the RNS-E HU.
    USP CLUB MEMBER #34

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Ford Explorer

Quote Originally Posted by outsider6661 View Post
    What harness did you use with the AMI to get it to work?? Was it the quadlock harness like the one in the ebay link that was posted??
    I built my own harness using my current quadlock cable because I already have OEM bluetooth and it was starting to get way to cluttered behind the dash. I bought the 32 pin connector and the the 10 pin connector from ECS. I also tapped into the the CAN H, CAN L, Terminal 30, and Ground using a 4 pin molex connector. It looks like a hybrid of both of the pictures you posted. I did the whole retrofit for 175.00. I did not want to pay the retrofit kit cost, but it is certainly less work to go that route.

Veteran Member Four Rings evo_ski's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I built my own harness using my current quadlock cable because I already have OEM bluetooth and it was starting to get way to cluttered behind the dash. I bought the 32 pin connector and the the 10 pin connector from ECS. I also tapped into the the CAN H, CAN L, Terminal 30, and Ground using a 4 pin molex connector. It looks like a hybrid of both of the pictures you posted. I did the whole retrofit for 175.00. I did not want to pay the retrofit kit cost, but it is certainly less work to go that route.
    Any more info with pin outs or pictures? Thanks for all the help!
    Costco 92 Octane Gas - MANN Air Filter - 235/35/19 Tires w/ 36 PSI (cold) Tire Pressure - Grey Plastic Valve Stem Caps - 0į Front Toe - Rotella T6 5W-40 - 2 OEM B6 Keys - 18x8" Spare - Coin & Pen Filled Center Console - Rain-X on all 8 windows & Napa Cold Temp Washer Fluid - Bosch Wiper Blades (Valeo wipers suck big time!) - S4 Trunk Latch - Craftsman Tire Pump w/ Automatic PSI Shutoff - Belly Pan Delete (Weight Savings) - 3D Printed Rear Warning Triangle latch - 174,000 Miles & Counting

Veteran Member Four Rings Charles.waite's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Going to revive this old-ass thread because I'm in the midst of doing this retrofit and and running into issues. I bought an 8T0 AMI module which I've read is compatible in one place, but have also read is incompatible other places, including in this thread. I've mainly been referring to this thread at Audiforum: LINK.

I have one last thing to try to make sure the Can lines are properly connected to an active can bus, as the AMI won't initialize on the RNS-E when I plug it is, though its charging my phone. Is the 8T0 unit PROVEN to be incompatible? They mention swapping pins on the 8K0 harness (which I bought) and I swapped the audio R/L/G pins as they weren't right in the slots initially for the mk2 rns-e but I can't test audio when the radio and AMI can't communicate and I can't find a pinout for the AMI modules anywhere nor do I have an A3 AMI wiring diagram which would at least let me correlate pins on the AMI box with functionality in case the AMI side plug is configured wrong.

Basically is the 8T0 100% proven to be incompatible? or is that just conjecture. I got the 8T0 unit for $50, but a known compatible 8P0 one is $200, so ideally I'd like to not have to spend $150 more on it...

And I coded my RNS-E to accept the AMI, is there any other coding I need to do? Just want to make sure I'm not missing something.
    -CP
    2008 Brilliant Black Unicorn (2.0t S-Line Ti 6MT Avant) - Bosch FR6KPP332S plugs - Q5 Rear Aero Wiper
    2012 Q5 2.0t - Stock Mommy Missile
    Former USP CLUB MEMBER #136
    2004 A4 1.8TQ 6MT USP - APR Stage 1+ - FSI Coils - BKR7EIX-11 - B6S4 Front + B7A4 Rear Brakes - 034 Street Trans Mount
    SOLD -- 2006 A4 2.0TQ Avant Tiptronic

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Ford Explorer

I am almost 100% positive that it has to be 8P0 version. I am posting a link here to my Google Drive folder. This is where I save all my pin assignment pics. I hope you find it helpful

AZ Member #

I am almost 100% positive that it has to be 8P0 version. I am posting a link here to my Google Drive folder. This is where I save all my pin assignment pics. I hope you find it helpful
    Sweet, that first pinout diagram is exactly what I was looking for. Cheers!

And yea I'm starting to lean towards my unit not being compatible, but I'm going to connect my can-lines up properly just and test one last time just to be sure. Appreciate the response even though this thread is ancient!
    -CP
    2008 Brilliant Black Unicorn (2.0t S-Line Ti 6MT Avant) - Bosch FR6KPP332S plugs - Q5 Rear Aero Wiper
    2004 A4 1.8TQ 6MT USP - APR Stage 1+ - FSI Coils - BKR7EIX-11 - B6S4 Front + B7A4 Rear Brakes - 034 Street Trans Mount

AZ Member #

So I got this partly working today. Found an 8P0 unit on carpart and finally got it all wired up. All the info works and the DIS/RNS-E communicates and gets song info and plays/controls the ipod, but no sound is being transmitted. Maybe I've got the R/L/G wires connected wrong? I have them wired up to 2/8/9 on the B connector on the RNS-E but its possible I transposed a ground with a signal. I'm going to double check the wires are correct when I get home using the images you sent sleuthnorange (thanks for that again!) and hopefully get sound out of this thing. I'll also do a quick test with the 8T0 unit since I have it on hand and can definitively rule it out as compatible before I throw it back up on ebay.
    -CP

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Im just waiting for my 8P0 AMI unit to arrive from the U.K. and Iíve just about read every thread I can about retrofitting AMI to an 8P0 RNS-E. As far as anyone has worked out, the 8T AMI will not work with an 8P0 RNS-E. Although, the 8P0 RNS-E will apparently work with an AMI unit from an R8.

AZ Member #

Yea thatís pretty much the consensus but I want 100% confirmation. And since I have the 8T0 unit sitting on my shelf thereís no harm it tossing it in and giving it a go.

I just want to be able to say ďI tried the 8T0 unit in a working 8P0 setup and it didnít work.Ē
    -CP

AZ Member #

Still no audio, though I inadvertently had the right channel and the ground swapped on the RNS-E plug.

So, question...Are the R/L/G audio wires wired into Connector B or the 32-pin AV plug? I have mine wired into the CD-Changer terminals on the B-connector, but evidently thats incorrect. Should they be plugged in to the "NF-In-Right/Left/GND" terminals on the 32-pin AV plug?
    -CP

Veteran Member Four Rings mholme's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    08 S4 00 S4

I can confirm 100 percent you need an AMI unit from an A3 or R8. I made the same mistake initially a few years ago and got an A5 module and it didnít work. I was able to trade it with an A5 owner who had bought an R8 unit and it was plug and play after coding.

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by mholme View Post
    I can confirm 100 percent you need an AMI unit from an A3 or R8. I made the same mistake initially a few years ago and got an A5 module and it didnít work. I was able to trade it with an A5 owner who had bought an R8 unit and it was plug and play after coding.
    actually, if you plan on using Tune2air with an Android phone, the 8T0 unit works just fine. It shows 'Initializing' but plays audio all the same. Basically the only thing you lose is track control since Tune2air doesn't support artist/track info display from Android BT devices, only iOS devices.
    WTB: B6 Ultrasport Avant 6-sp

2007 RS4 Sprint/Ebony, Ti, 113k
    UM tuned/JHM/BC Racing/Milltek/oCarbon

RIP 2002 A4 2.0TQM Denim/Ebony, 243k
    FWD->AWD, Bische-tuned GT2871R

Veteran Member Four Rings mholme's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    08 S4 00 S4

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Devo View Post
    actually, if you plan on using Tune2air with an Android phone, the 8T0 unit works just fine. It shows 'Initializing' but plays audio all the same. Basically the only thing you lose is track control since Tune2air doesn't support artist/track info display from Android BT devices, only iOS devices.
    Interesting. I was trying to use it with a wired iPod and it sat at ďInitializingĒ with no audio.
    08 S4- Stock

00 S4-APR 93 Piggies Custom True Dual exhaust AWE DTS ECS/Bilstein Coilovers 710N's Samco TBB Omori 52mm boost gauge SOLD

AZ Member #

A4 b6 2010+ rns-e - ami retrofit doable?

Yea I tested my 8T0 unit again in my working setup and it was stuck at Initializing but would play a second or two of audio before it would cut out and the connected (wired) iPhone would pause. You could hit play then get another second then same deal.

So it passes audio fine but still canít communicate with the Canbus properly and gets hung up in a loop.
    -CP

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Charles.waite View Post
    Yea I tested my 8T0 unit again in my working setup and it was stuck at Initializing but would play a second or two of audio before it would cut out and the connected (wired) iPhone would pause. You could hit play then get another second then same deal.

So it passes audio fine but still canít communicate with the Canbus properly and gets hung up in a loop.
    best I can tell, it's trying to communicate with the CECM on the B8 cars (due to the fault code in the module), and not getting a reply, is stuck initializing. One could likely get around this using a Raspberry Pi and pi2can to reply appropriately, but seems like a lot of effort when there's no added functionality over the 8P0 part (it's a minor software difference at most between them).

If I'm too lazy to build my own Tune2air replacement that will support full AVRCP 1.4+ on Android devices (which looks like it can be done with a RPI zero), I may go back to the 8T0 unit since it starts playback faster due to not having to go thru the init/sync process with the Tune2air

RIP 2002 A4 2.0TQM Denim/Ebony, 243k
    FWD->AWD, Bische-tuned GT2871R

AZ Member #

decided to part with my AMI setup in case anyone is interested:
    https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...S-E?p=13247911