Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

AZ Member #

Timing Chain Guide help in Wilmington...

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    New to Audi (2005 S4 Cabrio) and new to the forum. First DYI project is a biggie, timing chain guides. I don't want to take it to a shop because it's expensive but also because I want to learn and not just hand it off to be repaired... so if you know anyone in my area with some experience please let me know. Gotta start somewhere right, wish me luck.

Veteran Member Four Rings JimmyBones's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I have done that repair on Slow4's car with the engine in the car and I am actually in the process of doing that repair on my S4 today.

Here is a picture of when I did the repair on Slow4's car.

If you are going to do it yourself then I highly recommend getting the Bentley manual, the timing tools, and the JHM intermediate timing chain service kit.

AZ Member #

@JimmyBones I never heard anyone say it could be done with the engine still in... where are you located?

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by randyp View Post
    @JimmyBones I never heard anyone say it could be done with the engine still in... where are you located?
    Just about everything can be replaced other than the short block with the engine still in the car if your willing to fight it enough. I have also installed the JHM V1 headers on my S4 with the engine still in the car. The transmission still has to come off to replace the timing components with the engine still in the car. It also helps to move the front end into service position to get access to a few bolts that hold the side hard metal coolant lines in place and be able to turn the engine by hand with a ratchet.

I am located in Northern Virginia. According to Google I am about 126 miles or two and a half hours from Wilmington DE without traffic give or take.

AZ Member #

Can you text me, I have a few questions?

Randy

Senior Member Two Rings richB7S4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Good luck Randy. You are in good hands with Jimmy.

AZ Member #

Thanks Rich, I'm excited about the possibilities of my newly acquired ride, the more I read and look around the more I want to do to it.

Senior Member Two Rings richB7S4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

DIY is gratifying, as long as you have the right tools😊. Enjoy your S!

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyBones View Post
    Just about everything can be replaced other than the short block with the engine still in the car if your willing to fight it enough. I have also installed the JHM V1 headers on my S4 with the engine still in the car. The transmission still has to come off to replace the timing components with the engine still in the car. It also helps to move the front end into service position to get access to a few bolts that hold the side hard metal coolant lines in place and be able to turn the engine by hand with a ratchet.

I am located in Northern Virginia. According to Google I am about 126 miles or two and a half hours from Wilmington DE without traffic give or take.
    I found my $15 Amazon Special OBD Auto Doctor, plugged it in and this is what it came up with. I'm assuming all of this isn't related to the timing chain guide issue... or is it?

Confirmed Trouble Codes
    -P0172: System Too Rich (Bank 1) (Powertrain, Generic)
    -P0106: Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit Range/Performance (Powertrain, Generic)
    -P0456: Evaporative Emission System Leak Detected (very small leak) (Powertrain, Generic)
    -P0341: Camshaft Position Sensor "A" Circuit Range/Performance (Bank 1 or Single Sensor) (Powertrain, Generic)
    -P0300: Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected (Powertrain, Generic)
    -P0307: Cylinder 7 Misfire Detected (Powertrain, Generic)
    -P0302: Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected (Powertrain, Generic)
    -P0301: Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected (Powertrain, Generic)
    -P0303: Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected (Powertrain, Generic)
    -P0340: Camshaft Position Sensor "A" Circuit (Bank 1 or Single Sensor) (Powertrain, Generic)
    -P0174: System Too Lean (Bank 2) (Powertrain, Generic)
    -P0304: Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected (Powertrain, Generic)

AZ Member #

Some of those codes would worry me. Like the bank 1 camshaft position sensor range/performance, all the misfire codes on cylinders for bank 1 (cylinders 1-4), and the system too rich bank 1 code. Those codes are a big red flag to me that there is an issue with the base timing for bank 1 and/or the bank 1 camshaft adjuster is worn out.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyBones View Post
    Some of those codes would worry me. Like the bank 1 camshaft position sensor range/performance, all the misfire codes on cylinders for bank 1 (cylinders 1-4), and the system too rich bank 1 code. Those codes are a big red flag to me that there is an issue with the base timing for bank 1 and/or the bank 1 camshaft adjuster is worn out.
    I'll get the adjuster rebuild components with the JHM Intermediate Plus Timing Chain Rebuild Kit right?

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by randyp View Post
    I'll get the adjuster rebuild components with the JHM Intermediate Plus Timing Chain Rebuild Kit right?
    Hey Jimmy... are you still doing timing chain guide replacements, i gotta get this car (2005 S4, B6) back on the road this Spring/Summer. Whats your number???

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk