Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    Veteran Member Four Rings redline380's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 30 2008
    AZ Member #
    34773
    My Garage
    3 B5's
    Location
    Big Lake, MN

    Need help identifying cams

    Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ws...889231391.html

    And he gave me these pictures. These are the only markings.





    "During my service in the United States Congress I took the initiative in creating the Internet." Al Gore, former Vice President of the United States of America

    2016 SQ5- Wife's ride
    2000 A4 Avant 1.8TQMS- Daily Driver
    2000 S4- Working?

  2. #2
    Veteran Member Four Rings redline380's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 30 2008
    AZ Member #
    34773
    My Garage
    3 B5's
    Location
    Big Lake, MN

    Found a little bit of help. Autotech maybe? http://forums.fourtitude.com/showthr...dentification)


    "During my service in the United States Congress I took the initiative in creating the Internet." Al Gore, former Vice President of the United States of America

    2016 SQ5- Wife's ride
    2000 A4 Avant 1.8TQMS- Daily Driver
    2000 S4- Working?

  3. #3
    Veteran Member Three Rings Luis_Heineken's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28 2012
    AZ Member #
    94243
    Location
    Bayamon, Puerto Rico (USA)

    try here

    partsbase.org

  4. #4
    Veteran Member Three Rings Luis_Heineken's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28 2012
    AZ Member #
    94243
    Location
    Bayamon, Puerto Rico (USA)


  5. #5
    Veteran Member Four Rings redline380's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 30 2008
    AZ Member #
    34773
    My Garage
    3 B5's
    Location
    Big Lake, MN

    They are not stock cams. All 1.8t stock cams are the same as far as I know.
    "During my service in the United States Congress I took the initiative in creating the Internet." Al Gore, former Vice President of the United States of America

    2016 SQ5- Wife's ride
    2000 A4 Avant 1.8TQMS- Daily Driver
    2000 S4- Working?

  6. #6
    Veteran Member Four Rings Avant Nate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 23 2009
    AZ Member #
    52450
    My Garage
    2001 Audi Allroad 6MT,1999 Yukon Denali, 1987 4Runner
    Location
    Boulder, CO

    If you look at IE cams, it looks like the same logo but not a clear shot:
    http://www.ecstuning.com/ES2794022/?...ZlcaAuDG8P8HAQ
    IE cams look like they have id's printed on the end.
    99.5 1.8T QMS: GT2860RS .63 T3, PSI T3 Mani, Turbosmart 38mm EWG, Unitronic 415, Forge 007,Treadstone TR18 FMIC, Walbro e85 450, FSI coil conversion, 3" DIY Magnaflow/Dynomax VT exhaust
    Depo ecodes, DDM slim 6000k, VDO boost gauge, PLX AFR, Greddy profec B EBC,
    H&R sport springs, 034 rear sway, 034 rear diff carrier, A8 fronts,18x8 OZ Superleggera
    Next up E85, efr 7163 or gtx3071r?
    01 allroad 2.7t 6mt, GIAC stage 1

  7. #7
    Veteran Member Four Rings redline380's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 30 2008
    AZ Member #
    34773
    My Garage
    3 B5's
    Location
    Big Lake, MN

    Quote Originally Posted by Avant Nate View Post
    If you look at IE cams, it looks like the same logo but not a clear shot:
    http://www.ecstuning.com/ES2794022/?...ZlcaAuDG8P8HAQ
    IE cams look like they have id's printed on the end.
    Yeah they aren't IE's. Seller said nothing on the end.

    If you look at that Fortitude thread I posted along with the pic, that symbol is for Etsas, a company that makes cam blanks. So, they are aftermarket but I would still like to know the specs before I would buy them. I offered the seller $100 no questions asked but it was not accepted
    "During my service in the United States Congress I took the initiative in creating the Internet." Al Gore, former Vice President of the United States of America

    2016 SQ5- Wife's ride
    2000 A4 Avant 1.8TQMS- Daily Driver
    2000 S4- Working?

  8. #8
    Veteran Member Three Rings S4NIK8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 09 2009
    AZ Member #
    43534
    My Garage
    RS6 6 speed
    Location
    Somewhere Cold

    Quote Originally Posted by redline380 View Post
    Yeah they aren't IE's. Seller said nothing on the end.

    If you look at that Fortitude thread I posted along with the pic, that symbol is for Etsas, a company that makes cam blanks. So, they are aftermarket but I would still like to know the specs before I would buy them. I offered the seller $100 no questions asked but it was not accepted
    buy em, then ask me nicely and I will toss them on the cam doctor.

  9. #9
    Veteran Member Four Rings redline380's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 30 2008
    AZ Member #
    34773
    My Garage
    3 B5's
    Location
    Big Lake, MN

    Quote Originally Posted by S4NIK8 View Post
    buy em, then ask me nicely and I will toss them on the cam doctor.
    I'm not paying $300 for unknown cams. I just can't do it. I'll give it this weekend and if they don't sell I'm guessing I can get them for $200.
    "During my service in the United States Congress I took the initiative in creating the Internet." Al Gore, former Vice President of the United States of America

    2016 SQ5- Wife's ride
    2000 A4 Avant 1.8TQMS- Daily Driver
    2000 S4- Working?

  10. #10
    Veteran Member Three Rings S4NIK8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 09 2009
    AZ Member #
    43534
    My Garage
    RS6 6 speed
    Location
    Somewhere Cold

    Quote Originally Posted by redline380 View Post
    I'm not paying $300 for unknown cams. I just can't do it. I'll give it this weekend and if they don't sell I'm guessing I can get them for $200.
    no gamble, no win. pick up a cheap vernier caliper and snag a couple measurements off of them, I'll check a known stock cam I have laying around.

  11. #11
    Veteran Member Four Rings redline380's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 30 2008
    AZ Member #
    34773
    My Garage
    3 B5's
    Location
    Big Lake, MN

    Quote Originally Posted by S4NIK8 View Post
    no gamble, no win. pick up a cheap vernier caliper and snag a couple measurements off of them, I'll check a known stock cam I have laying around.
    I have both a caliper (mitutoyo even!) and a set of stock cams. I'm leaving tomorrow morning for St. Cloud to shadow an attorney and do the valentines day thing. If they are around Sunday, I will probably snag them. Gotta go up to Forest Lake though. May have to stop at Running Aces lol
    "During my service in the United States Congress I took the initiative in creating the Internet." Al Gore, former Vice President of the United States of America

    2016 SQ5- Wife's ride
    2000 A4 Avant 1.8TQMS- Daily Driver
    2000 S4- Working?

  12. #12
    Veteran Member Three Rings S4NIK8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 09 2009
    AZ Member #
    43534
    My Garage
    RS6 6 speed
    Location
    Somewhere Cold

    Quote Originally Posted by redline380 View Post
    May have to stop at Running Aces lol
    Never been, used to go to Mystic sometimes. Making trip #2 of the year to Vegas next week, throw some dice and check out the hookers; epic people watching to be had there.

  13. #13
    Veteran Member Four Rings redline380's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 30 2008
    AZ Member #
    34773
    My Garage
    3 B5's
    Location
    Big Lake, MN

    Quote Originally Posted by S4NIK8 View Post
    Never been, used to go to Mystic sometimes. Making trip #2 of the year to Vegas next week, throw some dice and check out the hookers; epic people watching to be had there.
    Vegas is always a great time! Don't have too much fun though. If you haven't played dice before, head over to Turtle Lake. Went about 3 weeks ago. I was doing very bad on the craps table. Even had to borrow $10 at one point in time. And then it turned around. I even hit a $5 bet on snake eyes for 30:1. My buddy had $10 on the same bet. What a hell of a night

    Guessing you played craps before if this is trip #2 though!
    "During my service in the United States Congress I took the initiative in creating the Internet." Al Gore, former Vice President of the United States of America

    2016 SQ5- Wife's ride
    2000 A4 Avant 1.8TQMS- Daily Driver
    2000 S4- Working?

  14. #14
    Veteran Member Three Rings S4NIK8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 09 2009
    AZ Member #
    43534
    My Garage
    RS6 6 speed
    Location
    Somewhere Cold

    Quote Originally Posted by redline380 View Post
    Vegas is always a great time! Don't have too much fun though. If you haven't played dice before, head over to Turtle Lake. Went about 3 weeks ago. I was doing very bad on the craps table. Even had to borrow $10 at one point in time. And then it turned around. I even hit a $5 bet on snake eyes for 30:1. My buddy had $10 on the same bet. What a hell of a night

    Guessing you played craps before if this is trip #2 though!
    Haha yeah, won't play anything else in a casino. Last trip to Vegas I ended up ahead somewhere around $700 including expenses (not that I have any delusions about winning money when I go), craps is a bunch of fun but sucks when the table is on a long roll and you end up leaving a bunch of money out there.

  15. #15
    Veteran Member Four Rings redline380's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 30 2008
    AZ Member #
    34773
    My Garage
    3 B5's
    Location
    Big Lake, MN

    Quote Originally Posted by S4NIK8 View Post
    Haha yeah, won't play anything else in a casino. Last trip to Vegas I ended up ahead somewhere around $700 including expenses (not that I have any delusions about winning money when I go), craps is a bunch of fun but sucks when the table is on a long roll and you end up leaving a bunch of money out there.
    I never press my bets. I pocket that shit lol

    A few weeks ago, my buddy was betting with $25 chips and probably had around 5-10 of them out there at a time. I heard "yo" and "two for the crew" so many times it started to get annoying. He was making some terrible bets and winning. One hell of a time. Guessing he was up $1500 in an a couple hours.

    But I will give you a pm if I end up picking those cams up.
    "During my service in the United States Congress I took the initiative in creating the Internet." Al Gore, former Vice President of the United States of America

    2016 SQ5- Wife's ride
    2000 A4 Avant 1.8TQMS- Daily Driver
    2000 S4- Working?

  16. #16
    Veteran Member Four Rings chris164935's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 18 2007
    AZ Member #
    17395
    My Garage
    2016 Audi A3 2.0tQ; 2001 Audi A4 1.8tQM
    Location
    Orange Park, FL

    Autotech does not make an exhaust camshaft for the 1.8t. Honestly, I wouldn't even bother. You have no specs on them (and neither does the seller apparently). Is $100/$200 worth the risk of possibly getting improperly timed camshafts? You have no idea what max lift is, what lift at TDC is, duration, etc. Or you end up paying $100/$200 for stock camshafts? Has the seller actually ran them in a motor? They look untouched.
    "You know you have a bad idea when Ford guys are making fun of you."

  17. #17
    Veteran Member Three Rings S4NIK8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 09 2009
    AZ Member #
    43534
    My Garage
    RS6 6 speed
    Location
    Somewhere Cold

    Quote Originally Posted by chris164935 View Post
    Autotech does not make an exhaust camshaft for the 1.8t. Honestly, I wouldn't even bother. You have no specs on them (and neither does the seller apparently). You have no idea what max lift is, what lift at TDC is, duration, etc. Or you end up paying $100/$200 for stock camshafts?
    If he goes to look at them and can determine with a couple quick measurements that they are or are not stock I already told him I would toss them in the cam doctor and we will know exactly what they are.

  18. #18
    Veteran Member Four Rings chris164935's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 18 2007
    AZ Member #
    17395
    My Garage
    2016 Audi A3 2.0tQ; 2001 Audi A4 1.8tQM
    Location
    Orange Park, FL

    Well, I guess keep us posted on the mysterious camshafts.
    "You know you have a bad idea when Ford guys are making fun of you."

  19. #19
    Registered User Four Rings
    Join Date
    Feb 08 2011
    AZ Member #
    70665
    My Garage
    B5 A4 2 liter HTA3586r
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona area

    Pretty bad when a seller can't even tell you what brand part they are trying to sell. I guess this is bound to happen with all the salvage yard pickers out there now.

  20. #20
    Veteran Member Four Rings redline380's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 30 2008
    AZ Member #
    34773
    My Garage
    3 B5's
    Location
    Big Lake, MN

    the seller is a shop. they took them out of a customers car because they wanted stock cams back. the cams were sitting around for a couple years they said and are just selling them now. I might grab measurement
    "During my service in the United States Congress I took the initiative in creating the Internet." Al Gore, former Vice President of the United States of America

    2016 SQ5- Wife's ride
    2000 A4 Avant 1.8TQMS- Daily Driver
    2000 S4- Working?

  21. #21
    Registered User Four Rings
    Join Date
    Feb 08 2011
    AZ Member #
    70665
    My Garage
    B5 A4 2 liter HTA3586r
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona area

    Quote Originally Posted by redline380 View Post
    the seller is a shop. they took them out of a customers car because they wanted stock cams back. the cams were sitting around for a couple years they said and are just selling them now. I might grab measurement
    Could also ask them to send you pictures of the gears on the back, that might help you figure out what brand they are.



Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


    © 2001-2019 Audizine, Audizine.com, and Driverzines.com
    Audizine is an independently owned and operated automotive enthusiast community and news website.
    Audi and the Audi logo(s) are copyright/trademark Audi AG. Audizine is not endorsed by or affiliated with Audi AG.