Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member One Ring S4_OUTTY's Avatar
    AZ Member #

HELP! Misfire codes and performance loss!

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I have a 05 B6 S4 with 130,000 on it. I'm throwing codes p0300, p0305, p0306, p0307, p0308. I'm assuming that's all one bank, but I also have a p0171 code which is lean fuel supply bank one. I'm pretty sure all of those misfires are bank two though so that's confusing. Also, every time I rev the engine significantly (over 6,000 at idle and over 5k while driving) I lose pretty much all power and the rpms pin and my mph drop.
    I had it in to a shop and they said it was spark plugs and coils, they changed those with no help. Once I got the car back I changed the fuel filter, fuel pump, air filter, and cleaned the MAF sensor and just gave it an oil change.
    If anyone has any advice or insight it'd be greatly appreciated. I'm pulling my hair out here and I'm scared a shop will just charge big bucks to take a stab at the spark plugs and coil packs again.
    Thanks guys!

AZ Member #

Also, the CEL is steady at idle and I can feel a slight misfire most times but sometimes it feels very bad. The CEL flashes when the power loss kicks in and returns to solid after about 10 seconds of tame driving.

Active Member One Ring JAFlury87's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    00 Jeep Cherokee, 87 Mercury Grand Marquis

With all your misfires in one bank it's probably the timing chain guides or tensioners. Had the same thing happen with mine.

AZ Member #

What did you do about it? Did you fix it or just get rid of the car?

Registered Member One Ring Veeizzlb7s4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Did you ever find out the problem with this my car is showing the same syptoms

Sent from my SM-N915P using Tapatalk

AZ Member #

I have a 06, B7 S4 with about 130k i starting getting misfire and loss of power . So i changed the coil and plugs with an after market coil hudson i believe . Afterwards still same so i thought it was the aftermarket coils so i bought dealer oem coils still same what could it be also getting powertrain code

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by JAFlury87 View Post
    With all your misfires in one bank it's probably the timing chain guides or tensioners. Had the same thing happen with mine.
    I think i have the same probelm . Someone me it could be the cat i changed the coils and plugs and this is the codes

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Could it be a fuel injector. I have the same problem and smell gas when I start up the car. Sorry if I'm a little late to this thread but im experiencing the same problems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Sounds like guides/tensioners Hallmark signs and symptoms

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Fyi injector cause misfires too ,so get your injectors checked ,they may be dumping gas or clogged up .good luck .also check your fuel pressure sounds a lot like fuel pump breaking down too.
    Last edited by mnthny4; 07-03-2016 at 09:20 PM.

Active Member One Ring Jesse Sheridan's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Anyone find out what the cause was? Injectors?cats?MAF?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Audizine mobile app

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Having very similar issues with my 2007.

I'm seeing people make claim that these are hallmark symptoms of worn timing chain guides or timing chain tensioners. However, its difficult for me to imagine that a lack of timing chain tension would mechanically translate to a loss of power at higher RPM's only. It seems to make sense that although a the tension within a timing chain may be less than needed, the RPM's that your cam cogs would experience would still be proper (maybe a little delayed at onset but after 1-3s all would be proper). I'm still open to the fact that my logic could be incorrect. Is there anyone out there who wouldn't mind logically substantiating the theory that timing chain guides or tensioners could be the root cause of the symptoms experienced?