Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

MBC/Software/ECU Confusion

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Well, I've yet to find the answer to this question, so I decided to create another thread.....

For those who know my story, I originally purchased a Chinese K04 and dealt with a shitty plunger, resulting in severe overboost, thus I installed a MBC while I purchased a Borg replacement and waited for it to be installed.

Since installing the BW, I've yet to run the software/setup without the MBC, and doing so will determine whether I shop for new software. My question is whether I need to remove the MBC (setup parallel) to determine whether the MBC is F'n with the driveability, or whether I can simply turn the MBC all the way "on" instead? If that makes sense to everyone I don't know, but if I can save myself the work of physcially removing it and rather adjust it to the point where I'm purely running off the N75 so I can determine if the software can properly operate the way it should I don't know?

Honestly, I don't know the logistics of the MBC/N75/Software enough to gauge what I have to do to troubleshoot my boost issues, primarily the partial throttle limp mode I get which is beyond a pain in the ass. I've read in numerous places that you shouldn't have to run a MBC if the software/setup is proper, and in many cases the MBC can cause partial throttle soft limp mode due to actual vs requested values not matching up. My limp mode situation are "soft" seeing as I'm able to feather the gas a couple/few times with my boost coming back vs having to turn off, disconnect the battery, etc.

Anyone know whether I actually need to remove the MBC in order for the software to think it's running off the N75 solely, or can I turn the MBC all the way on allowing maximum boost instead? If I need to remove the damn thing, well I'll be forced to wait until my mechanic can get to it, otherwise I will adjust the MBC as needed before making the judgment call to start shopping for another tune.

I've been in touch with Gonzo as of late, and his K04/Injector tune seems pretty reasonable at $450 (just missed his $350 sale) not too mention he doesn't require a 3" MAF Housing and runs off of much cheaper 550cc EV14's injectors at roughly $35 each. I'd still need to get an adjustable FPR to run 3BAR or less, but no biggy. $500 for software/injectors and whatever an adjustable FPR costs wouldn't kill me, but if the software is indeed shit, I'll definitely make it a priority to call Oliver with Speedtuning and express my disappointment, or possibly even a partial refund if need be.
    2001 A4 1.8T Quattro Manual Brilliant Black-Motoza e85 K04 Tune on 550cc Bosch Injectors and 4BAR w/ Borg Warner K04-15 running 21PSI-FastWayRacer Ebay FMIC w/ 2.5 Piping-OEM N75-Axiom Performance 255LPH FP-3" Eurocode Tuning Test Pipe-2.5" XS-Power Exhaust-UPGR8 TIP-710N-Single Mass Valeo Clutch-Green Coolant Temp Sensor-Standard OEM Plugs-Standard-OEM MAF-Rare 17" Alloy Wheels From Romania

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

If you are running the MBC in parallel, the MBC should be limiting the boost. If the N75 is working properly and your tune is set properly, opening the MBC will be fine. The only way to raise boost pressure with a MBC is to install a check valve (not recommend/leads to overboost).

Veteran Member Four Rings demonmk2's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B5 on jack stands

What type of MBC are you running?
    Bleeder style or ball/spring.
    A junk MBC can cause problems.

Registered User Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B5 A4 2 liter HTA3586r

Turning the MBC all the way up with it parallel with the N75 should allow the N75 to control the boost without the MBC doing anything since at that point the pressure will be passed thru the N75 and not the MBC.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

First of all, thanks to all of you for taking the time to reply! Awesome!

The type of MBC I purchased can be seen here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Over-boost-f...item1e78901e68

Another thing I'd like to mention is I find myself constantly adjusting the damn thing because one day I'll dial in the boost at 20psi, then the next day it will be at 22psi. Sometimes it seems contingent on weather but definitely not always, but there's no doubt that the PSI isn't consistent day in and day out, even if it's by 1-3 PSI high or low. For example, yesterday morning it would spike at 21psi and settle at 20psi, but today it's spiking at 20psi and settling around 18psi, and I haven't adjusted it the entire time. Maybe I'm nitpicking and/or this kind of thing is normal, but figured it was worth mentioning. Not sure if this was unusual but thought it could be the software/MBC not working well enough with each other, N75/MBC not working well with each other, or even the MBC itself being a little bitch because of quality......

It appears as if I can just open the MBC all the way up and it will be just like the software is running off the N75 solely, so I'll try that.

Thanks Again to everyone!

Norm
    2001 A4 1.8T Quattro Manual Brilliant Black-Motoza e85 K04 Tune on 550cc Bosch Injectors and 4BAR w/ Borg Warner K04-15 running 21PSI-FastWayRacer Ebay FMIC w/ 2.5 Piping-OEM N75-Axiom Performance 255LPH FP-3" Eurocode Tuning Test Pipe-2.5" XS-Power Exhaust-UPGR8 TIP-710N-Single Mass Valeo Clutch-Green Coolant Temp Sensor-Standard OEM Plugs-Standard-OEM MAF-Rare 17" Alloy Wheels From Romania

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

The N75 is controlled by the ECU, and the ECU uses ambient sensors (barometer, temperature) to calculate air density and control boost accordingly.
    The MBC doesn't change regardless of weather (obviously) so at different barometric pressures and ambient temperatures it's "actual" setting is likely to fluctuate. Unless you're changing altitude regularly, I wouldn't expect it to change by that much.
    2001.5 S4 Avant: Motoza E85 Stage 1+, SSAC HFC DPs + Borla 3" catback, APR bipipe, AWE SMICs, DW300 fuel pump, TTV FW + B7 RS4 clutch, JHM shifter, metal clutch slave + SS line, 2.0T coils, lowered, Aero wipers, SS brake lines, receiving lots of love ($$$)

2001 Corvette (C5) Z06: just getting started

2001.5 A4 1.8TQM: gone and missed. Parting out.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by MetalMan View Post
    The N75 is controlled by the ECU, and the ECU uses ambient sensors (barometer, temperature) to calculate air density and control boost accordingly.
    The MBC doesn't change regardless of weather (obviously) so at different barometric pressures and ambient temperatures it's "actual" setting is likely to fluctuate. Unless you're changing altitude regularly, I wouldn't expect it to change by that much.
    Yea, I don't know what has been going on then, but the boost values have definitely been changing constantly. Oh well, I shouldn't have to run a MBC anyway if the software was quality anyway. I'm just hoping that Oliver with ST is willing to take responsibility for his software if it doesn't run properly when I bypass the MBC. Thing is, he wouldn't tell me who wrote it, what EXACTLY it needs to run, heck he even mentioned that I should try a 3" MAF Housing, wow! I have a connection to a local GIAC dealer who's willing to review my ECU and see what I actually have, I'll definitely update here when I get that done. I'm actually very curious to see what he finds! Watch, it's written for larger injectors or something lmao.....

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B5 on jack stands

That boost controller is the exact same one I use except
    No n75 and I can tell you its consistent regardless of
    Temp/weather.
    I'm gonna take a wild guess but I would bet you need that 3" maf housing.
    The 550 tunes I've seen used them, but I could be wrong.
    Also, check your hose to the boost gauge. It could be leaking from there.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B5 on jack stands

Also, is the lines you are using for the n75 and MBC equal length?

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by demonmk2 View Post
    That boost controller is the exact same one I use except
    No n75 and I can tell you its consistent regardless of
    Temp/weather.
    I'm gonna take a wild guess but I would bet you need that 3" maf housing.
    The 550 tunes I've seen used them, but I could be wrong.
    Also, check your hose to the boost gauge. It could be leaking from there.
    My tune us supposed to be stock injector/5BAR and have yet to see a stock injector file require a larger MAF, so I'm not running a 550 or even a 386cc tune. As far as the lines leaking, there's no leak that I know of and the system was professionally installed only a few months back by my mechanic. The lines being equal length I'm not positive but will ask my mechanic. If he had to alter anything other than the way the MBC Kit came, he would've told me, but he didn't say anything about it. I'll ask anyway, why would that matter out of curiosity?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B5 on jack stands

It can cause inconsistencies with the boost.

My bad on the 550 file I misread your post.

AZ Member #

It can cause inconsistencies with the boost.
    What makes you so sure? I've been running a MBC (BoostValve) in parallel with the N75 for a couple years, and never paid attention to keeping the line lengths the same. These devices mostly operate on pressure and have very little flow, therefore differing line lengths shouldn't be an issue. If you're referring to the pressure drop across lines of unequal lengths, that wouldn't really make sense since the flow (and thus air velocity) is so low.
    2001.5 S4 Avant: Motoza E85 Stage 1+, SSAC HFC DPs + Borla 3" catback, APR bipipe, AWE SMICs, DW300 fuel pump, TTV FW + B7 RS4 clutch, JHM shifter, metal clutch slave + SS line, 2.0T coils, lowered, Aero wipers, SS brake lines, receiving lots of love ($$$)

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B5 on jack stands

From experience plus the fact I know with the g2 controller
    The instructions state to do this. I found out on a MBC
    Prior.
    I'm not saying that's it but it could be.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B5 on jack stands

If I remember correctly the line that runs from the waste gate to n75 and n75 to the charge pipe needs to be the same length.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Assuming I'll end up getting new software, any suggestions as to which one I should get? I've heard some good stuff about Gonzo, however based on some of the Owner's thread/forum history and our recent back-and-forth emails, he seems like a complete arrogant jack-ass. It's too bad really because he's one of the most cost-effective from what I've gathered thus far.

I've pretty much acknowledged that getting a larger injector setup vs what I'm running now is the better choice, the question is which one? I've heard good/bad about each and every company, so yea. I do like the idea of Gonzo not requiring 386cc injectors which would set me back $350-$400+ itself, vs the 550cc's at $150 tops. Ugh....too many damn options.....

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Well, I just cranked the MBC 11 full times and "should" no longer be playing a factor in the boost. I just drove 30 miles to work and overall it was functioning pretty good. The boost spikes at 23-24 for a very brief moment, but ultimately drops to 20-21 for "effective" boost from what I can tell. What I'll end up doing other than continue driving it obviously is VagCom it and see what the trims are and all of that again. I didn't run into any soft limp mode crap during that 30 miles which is good, however it's not like it was happening every trip before either. The other issue I wanted to check was the 4th gear high load boost issue, but I didn't push it yet, will on the way home early this morning. I also unhooked the battery in hopes some things would reset a bit, only time will tell at this point.....

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

So, the boost has settled down a bit since turning the MBC all the way "on" however there's times now where at higher RPM's the boost gauge bounces around. One thing I don't have as an upgraded FMIC, and although the only stock injector K04 program I know of is through GIAC states one isn't necessary, however I'm about a **** hair away from getting it anyway. Do any of you see my issues being caused by running the stock intercooler?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B5 on jack stands

630 UM file

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B5 on jack stands

Also I would not let that turbo push past 20 psi.
    Yes, I know you can but if you want that turbo to
    last it would be a good idea.
    Do you have after market rods?

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Also I would not let that turbo push past 20 psi.
    Yes, I know you can but if you want that turbo to
    last it would be a good idea.
    Do you have after market rods?
    Negative on the rods, just don't see the need for them with where I'm at right now.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

630 UM file
    Not quite sure what this means, link?

AZ Member #

He may be referring to the United Motorsports Stage III 630cc tune for AEB engines... but you have an AWM.
    IMO go with a Motoza tune. Their standard is 550cc injectors and will tune around whatever you've got, with a custom tune.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

He may be referring to the United Motorsports Stage III 630cc tune for AEB engines... but you have an AWM.
    IMO go with a Motoza tune. Their standard is 550cc injectors and will tune around whatever you've got, with a custom tune.
    Thanks for the clarification. Say, I've already asked this, but how big of an impact would you think my current K04/Stock Injector/5BAR setup is hurting due to not running a FMIC? Do you think that could be causing some of the boost issues at higher rpm's at all? The gauge goes nuts at times during 3rd-4th pulls past approximately 4K RPM, but no issues in 1st/2nd. The issues definitely got worse once I bypassed the MBC, but it's also sometimes boosting at 22-24 unlike when I was running the MBC. Thing is, the boost is not consistent. Yesterday when I bypassed the controller, I'd be seeing the higher PSI stuff, but today it was settling in far better at 19-21. I just don't understand why the PSI varies so much?

I'm about to pull the trigger on a FMIC no matter what, cooler is always better than hot. I just don't know how much it's affecting my performance/boost issues at the moment. Another thing is seeing GIAC is the only reputable company I've seen offer the stock injector/5BAR for the K04, their recommended/necessary hardware per website doesn't state a FMIC is needed for it, only their larger injector program.

The last thing I'd like to mention is the fact some people on here have said running a K04 at anything higher than 20psi isn't a good idea, and although the stock injector file is supposed to run at 20psi per GIAC Rep. I spoke to, their larger injector (among other K04 programs available though other companies) are supposed to run at 22-24PSI from what I've seen. If running past 20psi with a K04 like the 22-24 larger injector programs are supposed to run, why would tunes be designed to run at those numbers? Or, is 22-24 not that much worse for a K04 vs 19-20? I do know the hot air thing past 20psi, but it seems that if tunes are designed to run optimum and create the most power while being reliable, how come virtually all K04 injector programs run higher than 20? It just doesn't make sense that ANY program would be written to run higher than that if all it was doing is blowing hot air......input?

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by pichno View Post
    Thanks for the clarification. Say, I've already asked this, but how big of an impact would you think my current K04/Stock Injector/5BAR setup is hurting due to not running a FMIC? Do you think that could be causing some of the boost issues at higher rpm's at all? The gauge goes nuts at times during 3rd-4th pulls past approximately 4K RPM, but no issues in 1st/2nd. The issues definitely got worse once I bypassed the MBC, but it's also sometimes boosting at 22-24 unlike when I was running the MBC. Thing is, the boost is not consistent. Yesterday when I bypassed the controller, I'd be seeing the higher PSI stuff, but today it was settling in far better at 19-21. I just don't understand why the PSI varies so much?
    If you can log IAT, you can see how poorly the stock IC is / isn't cooling the pressurized air. Keep in mind that by the time you're going in 4th gear, your car is moving pretty quickly and there's more air flowing through the IC. However this same benefit would be increased even more so with a FMIC.
    Inconsistent boost - too many variables. Boost leak, ambient conditions, faulty/intermittent sensor, etc.

The last thing I'd like to mention is the fact some people on here have said running a K04 at anything higher than 20psi isn't a good idea, and although the stock injector file is supposed to run at 20psi per GIAC Rep. I spoke to, their larger injector (among other K04 programs available though other companies) are supposed to run at 22-24PSI from what I've seen. If running past 20psi with a K04 like the 22-24 larger injector programs are supposed to run, why would tunes be designed to run at those numbers? Or, is 22-24 not that much worse for a K04 vs 19-20? I do know the hot air thing past 20psi, but it seems that if tunes are designed to run optimum and create the most power while being reliable, how come virtually all K04 injector programs run higher than 20? It just doesn't make sense that ANY program would be written to run higher than that if all it was doing is blowing hot air......input?
    I feel like even more aggressive K04 programs shouldn't go much past 20 psi. The GIAC PC-16 file (for AEB) only does about 20 psi and that's the most aggressive OTS tune for AEB with K04. Mostly the larger injector files will require lower IATs to run more timing, and will be less limited on fuel flow. As you know K04 can definitely max out stock injectors, even with a 5bar FPR.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B5 on jack stands

Pichno, if you motoza that metalman recommended post your results. I just looked at there website. Looks pretty cool.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Pichno, if you motoza that metalman recommended post your results. I just looked at there website. Looks pretty cool.
    Agree 150%! I already sent them an email requesting more logistic information for their K04 tune.

After running with the MBC turned all the way "on" the boost actually is right on the money (20psi), however I'm still running into the issue of PSI shudder/hesitation at anything past 5K, and only in 4th gear. 1st-3rd is just fine, and I typically don't run 5th to 5K, but 4th for some reason continues to have issues. The gauge needle just bounces back-and-forth and I have no idea why. I thought it could've been lack of fuel or something, but after replacing the stock FP with a 255LPH, and the old ass fuel filter with a brand new one, the problem still exists. We ran a boost/vacuum leak test with a smoke machine with pressure and found absolutely nothing. I've also replaced the spark plugs with BRK7E's (although not gapped to .28) and also put in a brand new MAF.

I don't have the ability to run logs anytime soon unfortunately, but anyone want to take a stab as to why I'm having the unsteady boost after 5K, and why it would only occur in 4th? Stock injectors not able to handle the load anymore maybe? I mean, the tune is written for them, but I'm not willing to rule anything out at this point in time. I have a hard time believing a 3" MAF Housing would fix anything, but yea....

AZ Member #

Agree 150%! I already sent them an email requesting more logistic information for their K04 tune.
    I've got a request in for another revision to Motoza. I think he's been working a lot lately on some new things (or additional tech support on some old stuff). My last log went in around midnight his time last Thursday night, and haven't heard anything back yet. This is not too terribly uncommon though, I think one time I waited 13 days for a revision after sending a log. Luckily for me the car is drivable , so he may prioritize his work/response based on that. Also don't want to sound like I'm ungrateful or feeling impatient, because that's not the case!
    In summary: don't necessarily expect turnaround times from logs to revisions in just a few days or less; it may take a week or more.

I don't have the ability to run logs anytime soon unfortunately, but anyone want to take a stab as to why I'm having the unsteady boost after 5K, and why it would only occur in 4th? Stock injectors not able to handle the load anymore maybe? I mean, the tune is written for them, but I'm not willing to rule anything out at this point in time. I have a hard time believing a 3" MAF Housing would fix anything, but yea....
    Can only speak for my opinion... logs may be icing on the cake. With a proper log we could see things like actual boost vs. boost request, fuel injector duty cycle vs. AFR, MAF readings, etc.
    If your current fuel situation is inadequate it should be pretty blatant after seeing injector duty cycle, and AFR may also provide useful information.
    MAF readings will tell use if the tune is scaled appropriately for a stock MAF, or if it is scaled for a different size MAF housing.
    So much to gain with logs!

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Can only speak for my opinion... logs may be icing on the cake. With a proper log we could see things like actual boost vs. boost request, fuel injector duty cycle vs. AFR, MAF readings, etc.
    If your current fuel situation is inadequate it should be pretty blatant after seeing injector duty cycle, and AFR may also provide useful information.
    MAF readings will tell use if the tune is scaled appropriately for a stock MAF, or if it is scaled for a different size MAF housing.
    So much to gain with logs![/QUOTE]

Yea, makes complete sense. Which logs would you run if you were me? I just need to figure out if the software is the issue or not, and if it is, I'll need to provide Oliver/ST with the specifics to validate my claims.

Thanks!

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by MetalMan
    With a proper log we could see things like actual boost vs. boost request, fuel injector duty cycle vs. AFR, MAF readings
    Those ones to start with
    I don't know which blocks they are, but in VAG-COM / VCDS they should show up just by quickly searching through the list.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Those ones to start with
    I don't know which blocks they are, but in VAG-COM / VCDS they should show up just by quickly searching through the list.
    LMAO, yea....I set myself up with that one!

I meant like block 015, 032, but will just go with finding the words ....thanks man.

AZ Member #

Lately I've been doing all my logging with the standard Motoza logger utility (so haven't been looking at blocks in VCDS).
    It has a much higher sample rate than VCDS for a full log of everything important (~11 samples/sec).
    VCDS has a sample rate of about 4 samples/sec for a single measuring block - containing only 4 useful pieces of information. To match the same number of pieces of information as Motoza logs, it would only take something like 0.8 samples/sec. Huge difference!