Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Cannot start / Rough idle / smoke from rear drivers side of the engine

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hello,
    the other day I could not start my car. I was not surprised since the battery was getting weak. But after getting it jumped it did run very rough. Without giving it throttle it would go out again. Some smoke came out from where the alternator is located. So I had it towed and replace the alternator. But no change. Replaced the battery but no change again. With the new battery I had it running a few minutes with some throttle. Without throttle it went out. With more throttle the revs oscillate up and down. After this I noticed a lot of smoke from the rear of the engine (drivers side). I have various oil leaks but this amount of smoke must be related to sth else.
    I am at a loss what is going on. I would appreciate if you could give me any ideas what could be happening.
    Cheers,
    Christian

1998 Audi A4 quattro 2.8l, all stock, ~280k miles,

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Well, it looks like its an issue with the throttle body. Smoke must be unrelated.

Senior Member Three Rings wolfe2118's Avatar
    AZ Member #

You should check your pcv system coming out of your crankcase.