Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Established Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Well I ordered

2013 Audi Allroad:
    Front two (2) Premium Dimpled & Slotted rotors (RB-33136) = $188.32 (List Price $215.23)
    Rear two (2) Premium Dimpled & Slotted rotors (RB-33127) = $146.62 (List Price $174.36)

Also picked up the Akebono EUR1322 Front Brake Pad & Akebono EUR1018 Rear Brake Pad

Probably won't get them installed until May but hey the parts are ordered now.

Established Member Four Rings wkhanna's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    needs cleaned

i inquired bout getting the high carbon slotted for upgrading my A5 to S5 spec (got the 'S' cals & brackets a while ago)...
    they said it would take a little while since they would need to machine the slots in the high carbon rotors...

doing the brake job this weekend, so i could not wait...

so.... i went with StopTech S5 slotted high carbon rotors & street performance pads, SS brake lines & high performance fluid....
    .... right about $800 for everything....

will update after installed.....
    Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob

2011 A5 2.0t coupe
    2011 A4 quattro 2.0t (The Wife's)
    1983 Porsche 944 (modified)
    1985 BWM K100RS (since new - Heavily Modified)
    1971 Moto Guzzi Ambassador

AZ Member #

A few shots of what I got in -

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    needs cleaned

these are the stoptech high carbon S5 rotors installed on the rear of my A5 using the S5 caliper brackets....

Last edited by wkhanna; 04-27-2018 at 05:39 PM.
    Bill

2011 A5 2.0t coupe

Established Member Two Rings AWEs5's Avatar
    AZ Member #

So happy they had the cast iron. I was told they werenít going to be in stock until mid May!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2013 Audi S5 Premium Plus | H&R springs | AWE S-Flo CF intake | AWE Touring Exhaust 102mm Diamond Tips | AWE non-resonated downpipes |

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by chip_ View Post

Very nice keep us updated

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    2013 Audi S5 Premium Plus | H&R springs | AWE S-Flo CF intake | AWE Touring Exhaust 102mm Diamond Tips | AWE non-resonated downpipes |

AZ Member #

I got the slotted dimpled and mating them to Hawks HPS 5.0. Currently waiting for anti rattle clips from Audi to come in this Saturday.

Curious, do you guys think a brake fluid flush should be done as well? My 2013 S5 currently has 55K Miles. I got her in July 2017 at 47K.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    needs cleaned

Quote Originally Posted by AWEs5 View Post
    ..... do you guys think a brake fluid flush should be done as well?
    absolutely.. brake fluid is hygroscopic, it absorbs water like a parched camel that just crossed the Sahara.....

...then, when the fluid gets hot at the caliper, it boils the water in the fluid, creates water vapor gas bubbles, & then your peddle feels like a wet sponge...

...once evey two years may seem ocd, but at least every time you do a brake job, imho......
    Bill

2011 A5 2.0t coupe

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    needs cleaned

those look V nize, Chip!!!
    Bill

2011 A5 2.0t coupe

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by wkhanna View Post
    absolutely.. brake fluid is hygroscopic, it absorbs water like a parched camel that just crossed the Sahara.....

...then, when the fluid gets hot at the caliper, it boils the water in the fluid, creates water vapor gas bubbles, & then your peddle feels like a wet sponge...

...once evey two years may seem ocd, but at least every time you do a brake job, imho......
    Thank you!

AZ Member #

Got my rotors performancebrake.com slotted/dimpled and Hawks HPS 5.0 pads installed today. Car squeaks when braking to a complete stop. Just curious if this is normal. Had an Indy shop do the install. I noticed a lot of residue around the front pads as well. I used this post as a guide and yet Iím worried the install went wrong. Am I over reacting here? Brakeperformance.com included some instructions for break-in procedure. Which is to drive 45mph then slow down to 5mph, repeating 10-20 times. The Indy shop most likely didnít do this, which isnít expected.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    needs cleaned

nothing too unusual looking there, imho...

you are still in the 'break-in' mode....

if you can, try the bedding-in procedure...

20 reps seems a bit extreme.... i would think 10 would be sufficient....
    ...i go from 60 - 70 down to around 20-30....
    what is important is to not leave your foot on the bakes if, for some reason, the car is stopped during this process....
    if the rotors are hot & the pads are pressed onto the rotor, the pad acts like a heat-sink, pulling heat away from just that portion of the rotor where they are making contact, while the rest of the rotor remains hotter.... this will warp your brand new rotors in a heartbeat.....

remember to let the brakes cool just a bit between cycles & do not slam on the peddle like an F1 driver going into turn one from the drop of the green flag.
    you want firm, even application of the pad onto the rotor & you want to generate friction & heat..... but not glowing red -hot & smoking kind of stuff....
    Last edited by wkhanna; 05-03-2018 at 06:26 AM.
    Bill

2011 A5 2.0t coupe

Established Member Four Rings fmzip's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Got my rotors performancebrake.com slotted/dimpled and Hawks HPS 5.0 pads installed today. Car squeaks when braking to a complete stop. Just curious if this is normal. Had an Indy shop do the install. I noticed a lot of residue around the front pads as well. I used this post as a guide and yet Iím worried the install went wrong. Am I over reacting here? Brakeperformance.com included some instructions for break-in procedure. Which is to drive 45mph then slow down to 5mph, repeating 10-20 times. The Indy shop most likely didnít do this, which isnít expected.

Yes, definitely overeacting :)

What you see for residue is normal with a brand new pad.

There isn't much that goes wrong with an install other than not lubricating properly which causes squeal.

I used hawks on my wife's 328, not with the same rotors and she gets the squeal from time to time. It's really next to impossible to mess up a pad/rotor install. I wouldn't think a shop would skip the lube, single most important piece to avoid customer complaints. Is it squealing from one or all? Definitely bed them in..
    2015 S4 - Mythos Black - EPL Stage II/DSG Tune - Eurocode Alu Kreuz - Canyon Run CR-15 - 034 RSB/Billet DTB's - C-Quartz Nano - 3M Pro-X PPF - Audison Voce/Prima - B9 S4 V Spoke Wheels

AZ Member #

those look V nize, Chip!!!
    Thanks - I think they will get installed this weekend.

AZ Member #

nothing too unusual looking there, imho...

you are still in the 'break-in' mode....

if you can, try the bedding-in procedure...

20 reps seems a bit extreme.... i would think 10 would be sufficient....
    ...i go from 60 - 70 down to around 20-30....
    what is important is to not leave your foot on the bakes if, for some reason, the car is stopped during this process....
    if the rotors are hot & the pads are pressed onto the rotor, the pad acts like a heat-sink, pulling heat away from just that portion of the rotor where they are making contact, while the rest of the rotor remains hotter.... this will warp your brand new rotors in a heartbeat.....

remember to let the brakes cool just a bit between cycles & do not slam on the peddle like an F1 driver going into turn one from the drop of the green flag.
    you want firm, even application of the pad onto the rotor & you want to generate friction & heat..... but not glowing red -hot & smoking kind of stuff....
    When I picked up the car, I asked the shop owner if I need to break in the brakes and he said the tech already "bedded them in" so I was okay. From the shop to home is about 40 miles. the squeaking didn't occur until I got off the freeway. Guess its normal since it was hot by now.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by fmzip View Post
    Yes, definitely overeacting :)

What you see for residue is normal with a brand new pad.

There isn't much that goes wrong with an install other than not lubricating properly which causes squeal.

I used hawks on my wife's 328, not with the same rotors and she gets the squeal from time to time. It's really next to impossible to mess up a pad/rotor install. I wouldn't think a shop would skip the lube, single most important piece to avoid customer complaints. Is it squealing from one or all? Definitely bed them in..
    Thank you. I guess I was expecting too much and was let down. I'll give it a few more days of "breaking in". ill update later. Glad that performance brakes.com have a lifetime warranty against warps. lol

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    needs cleaned

Thanks - I think they will get installed this weekend.
    you doing it yourself?

i did the rears while swapping out the calipers using my RossTech Hex-V2 & while it was a little scary doing it for the first time, all went well....
    just went slow & deliberate following their instructions verbatim...
    Bill

2011 A5 2.0t coupe

AZ Member #

I went for a drive in the early morning. Took the car to 70 then back down to 30-40 about 2-3 times. Then I let the brakes cool and repeated. I repeated this process about 3x. Then drove 30 miles to work. No more squeaks so that was nice. However I do notice a noise sounds like a sprinkler coming from the rear and/or front. I stopped by the indy shopped that installed my brakes yesterday and told them. The tech that did the install offered to sit in the passenger seat and we took a little drive so I can let him hear the sound.

So he tells me that this is a common noise with slotted rotors. The noise I am hearing is because the "wind is passing through the slots". hmmm. Can anyone confirm? Does anyone else with these rotors experience same noise?

AZ Member #

I hear it when I drive next to a wall or like a line of cars. Other than this "sprinkler" noise, I have no other complaints. Feels similar to OEM to me. Better bite, but that could because my oem pads were at near 3% life left. lol

AZ Member #

So he tells me that this is a common noise with slotted rotors. The noise I am hearing is because the "wind is passing through the slots". hmmm.
    Ummmm.....I don't think so lol. Try recording an audio clip with your phone. Sounds like maybe the dust shield is hitting the rotor slightly?
    2015 S4 - Mythos Black - EPL Stage II/DSG Tune - Eurocode Alu Kreuz - Canyon Run CR-15 - 034 RSB/Billet DTB's - C-Quartz Nano - 3M Pro-X PPF - Audison Voce/Prima - B9 S4 V Spoke Wheels

Active Member Two Rings Phantom_S5's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 Audi S5 Prestige, 2016 Lexus NX 300 F Sport

Iíve put about 1K miles on these rotors so far and theyíre holding up great. Paired them with Akebono pads and I get little to no brake dust on my daily driver. Well worth the upgrade. I do wish I had a bit more bite but overall I am very pleased with the combination of these BP rotors, Akebono pads and fresh brake fluid. Was thinking of doing SS lines but think itís a bit overkill for my use.

IMG_4539.JPGIMG_4577.jpg

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom_S5 View Post
    Iíve put about 1K miles on these rotors so far and theyíre holding up great. Paired them with Akebono pads and I get little to no brake dust on my daily driver. Well worth the upgrade. I do wish I had a bit more bite but overall I am very pleased with the combination of these BP rotors, Akebono pads and fresh brake fluid. Was thinking of doing SS lines but think itís a bit overkill for my use.

IMG_4539.JPGIMG_4577.jpg

Mine got done on Wed. Agree with your statement on a missing the bite but went this route to lower the brake dust. Need to clean the car tonight and we will see how they perform brake dust wise after a wash.

AZ Member #

Mine got done on Wed. Agree with your statement on a missing the bite but went this route to lower the brake dust. Need to clean the car tonight and we will see how they perform brake dust wise after a wash.
    You are going to LOVE the lack of brake dust more so than the minimal loss of bite

Established Member Two Rings robertstitt's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by fmzip View Post
    You are going to LOVE the lack of brake dust more so than the minimal loss of bite
    Exactly! I love my Akebonos and so do my peelers.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Anybody have issues with clicking noises or humming after installing the dimpled and slotted rotors? Also is the high carbon option available for the 2015 S3?

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by pharmtographer View Post
    Anybody have issues with clicking noises or humming after installing the dimpled and slotted rotors? Also is the high carbon option available for the 2015 S3?
    Yup I do. Let me guess, you hear it when you are driving next to a line of cars or a wall? Iím also experiencing rattles only when I run over reflectors on the road while changing lanes.

Here are the exact words from the mechanic who did my brake job. He compares the humming to a sprinkler going off. This is due to the wind cutting thru the slots on the rotors. As for the rattles going over the reflectors, he is saying that the Hawks 5.0 pads i bought do not have a material like oem pads that make the pads stick to the rotors. The humming/ ďsprinklerĒ noise annoys the shit out of me. But as long as my windows are up, I donít hear anything.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

No never had anything on my cars except just blank OEM rotors. I'm curious about this noise and its making me hesitant to spend the money.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    needs cleaned

S5 calipers & the bigger high-carbon stoptech rotors & sport pads up front on my A5 this weekend with some help from my dawgs.....

(....rears already done as noted on previous post...)

OLD

NEW

[/QUOTE]
    Bill

2011 A5 2.0t coupe

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234