Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 161 to 178 of 178
  1. #161
    Established Member Two Rings RHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 23 2018
    AZ Member #
    414551
    Location
    Marion, il

    Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by wkhanna View Post
    ....so long as they are not slotted.....
    ....& they are not made with separate left & right castings which have the vents oriented for the rotation direction of each side....
    I did some looking and the slot does not designate which side of the car it goes on, only the vanes inside the rotor determine left or right. Seems odd because I would like my slots all to slope from the front to the back on both sides, but I guess that has no effect on how the slots perform. Only the internal vanes, if directional, do. Radial vanes have no direction and can be mounted left or right, as the vane is straight from the center of the rotor to the edge of the rotor, they have no curvature whatsoever. So, in conclusion, if I get slotted rotors I may have one side of my car with rotors that look "backwards" when compared to the other side. As long as that does not affect braking performance I guess I'm OK with that.

    Sent from my HTC U11 using Audizine mobile app

  2. #162
    Established Member Four Rings fmzip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 21 2017
    AZ Member #
    405420
    Location
    CT

    Quote Originally Posted by RHawk View Post
    I did some looking and the slot does not designate which side of the car it goes on, only the vanes inside the rotor determine left or right. Seems odd because I would like my slots all to slope from the front to the back on both sides, but I guess that has no effect on how the slots perform. Only the internal vanes, if directional, do. Radial vanes have no direction and can be mounted left or right, as the vane is straight from the center of the rotor to the edge of the rotor, they have no curvature whatsoever. So, in conclusion, if I get slotted rotors I may have one side of my car with rotors that look "backwards" when compared to the other side. As long as that does not affect braking performance I guess I'm OK with that.

    Sent from my HTC U11 using Audizine mobile app
    Quote Originally Posted by RHawk View Post
    Well I think my first question was not detailed enough. Upon some research I understand the slots can face towards the front or the back, no big deal, but are the vanes inside the rotor directional? I'm assuming if the rotor is both left or right side, the vanes are radial and can be put on either side of the car.

    Sent from my HTC U11 using Audizine mobile app

    This is the installation instructions from Brake Performance for their slotted rotors. They are marked left and right

    http://thetechhouse.myqnapcloud.com/...di/rotors1.pdf
    2015 S4 - Mythos Black - EPL Stage II/DSG Tune - Eurocode Alu Kreuz - Canyon Run CR-15 - 034 RSB/Billet DTB's - C-Quartz Nano - 3M Pro-X PPF - Audison Voce/Prima - B9 S4 V Spoke Wheels

  3. #163
    Established Member Three Rings Ford Prefect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 20 2017
    AZ Member #
    391171
    My Garage
    2011 Silver S4, Mercedes Benz R350 ('07 & '11), Suzuki SV1000
    Location
    New Hampshire

    Quote Originally Posted by AWEs5 View Post
    Yup I do. Let me guess, you hear it when you are driving next to a line of cars or a wall? I’m also experiencing rattles only when I run over reflectors on the road while changing lanes.

    Here are the exact words from the mechanic who did my brake job. He compares the humming to a sprinkler going off. This is due to the wind cutting thru the slots on the rotors. As for the rattles going over the reflectors, he is saying that the Hawks 5.0 pads i bought do not have a material like oem pads that make the pads stick to the rotors. The humming/ “sprinkler” noise annoys the shit out of me. But as long as my windows are up, I don’t hear anything.


    Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    So this has been driving me nuts. I have GD series EBC and red stuff pads and have been feeling like I did something wrong. I asked my daughter (12) how to spell the sound I made, she said “ch-ch-ch-ch” and specifically not “cha-cha-cha”.

    Is this the sound you guys hear? Trying to figure out the “sprinkler sound” If so I’m guessing the slotted/dimpled/drilled reason is right.


    Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

  4. #164
    Established Member Four Rings wkhanna's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 12 2017
    AZ Member #
    399355
    My Garage
    needs cleaned
    Location
    Land of Archaic Anachronisms

    Quote Originally Posted by Ford Prefect View Post
    ...... I’m guessing the slotted/dimpled/drilled reason is right.
    ....most likely....

    ....does it make the sound with brakes are not applied......?


    i have slotted rotors.... they make a distinctly different sound than plain rotors.... but when the brakes are applied....

    ,,,,,does not bother me in the slightest... but thats just me.....
    Billy

    Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob

    2011 A5 2.0T Old Man Project
    2011 A4 quattro 2.0t (The Wife's)
    1983 Porsche 944 (Modified)
    1985 BWM K100RS (since new - Heavily Modified)
    1971 Moto Guzzi Elderodo
    Avatar Chart

  5. #165
    Established Member Four Rings wkhanna's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 12 2017
    AZ Member #
    399355
    My Garage
    needs cleaned
    Location
    Land of Archaic Anachronisms

    Quote Originally Posted by wkhanna View Post
    i inquired bout getting the high carbon slotted for upgrading my A5 to S5 spec (got the 'S' cals & brackets a while ago)...
    they said it would take a little while since they would need to machine the slots in the high carbon rotors...

    doing the brake job this weekend, so i could not wait...

    so.... i went with StopTech S5 slotted high carbon rotors & street performance pads, SS brake lines & high performance fluid....
    .... right about $800 for everything....





    Quote Originally Posted by wkhanna View Post
    S5 calipers & the bigger high-carbon stoptech rotors & sport pads up front on my A5 this weekend with some help from my dawgs.....

    (....rears already done as noted on previous post...)

    OLD





    NEW
























    ......new brakes have been for a while, now.
    long enough to have been bedded in for a bit.

    before comparison can be made, i need to state the condition of the previous brakes...
    the car is a 2011 A5 i purchased a year ago with 52k showing on the odometer.
    at that time, the rotors 'looked' to be in decent condition & the acura dealership i got it from had just installed new oem pads.
    after a few months of my 10 mile/day city commute combined with occasional other outings & highway miles, the peddle (& braking) began to oscillate & got progressively worse over time.

    needless to say, the braking was less than acceptable for a car of this weight & relative performance.


    so i went from substandard oem A5 to S5 cals & the stoptech highcarbon rotors (larger diameter) with stoptech sport pads & SS lines on both the front & rear.
    now that they are bedded in the overall increase in performance is significant, as one might expect.

    cold bite is V good. some of the best i have ever had.
    when warmed up, these are working really well.

    afa dust, surprisingly, it seems quite low to me.
    definitively less than previous.

    what i can compare is the performance of The Wife's oem brakes on her 2011 A4 to my 2011 A5 w/ the S5/stoptech upgrade....

    ...night & day with regards to stopping ability.
    dust is far lower, too.


    i would have been ok with more dust from the stoptechs, cuz i put performance above aesthetics & having to wash dirty wheels frequently....
    for now, i am exceptionally pleased with the way this package is performing from all aspects....

    jmho... ymmv.... ; )
    Billy

    Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob

    2011 A5 2.0T Old Man Project
    2011 A4 quattro 2.0t (The Wife's)
    1983 Porsche 944 (Modified)
    1985 BWM K100RS (since new - Heavily Modified)
    1971 Moto Guzzi Elderodo
    Avatar Chart

  6. #166
    Established Member Three Rings Ford Prefect's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 20 2017
    AZ Member #
    391171
    My Garage
    2011 Silver S4, Mercedes Benz R350 ('07 & '11), Suzuki SV1000
    Location
    New Hampshire

    Quote Originally Posted by wkhanna View Post
    ....most likely....

    ....does it make the sound with brakes are not applied......?


    i have slotted rotors.... they make a distinctly different sound than plain rotors.... but when the brakes are applied....

    ,,,,,does not bother me in the slightest... but thats just me.....
    Now I have to check. I think it does it off brakes but gets loud while on.


    Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

  7. #167
    Established Member Two Rings AWEs5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 18 2017
    AZ Member #
    403106
    Location
    Gardena CA

    Quote Originally Posted by Ford Prefect View Post
    So this has been driving me nuts. I have GD series EBC and red stuff pads and have been feeling like I did something wrong. I asked my daughter (12) how to spell the sound I made, she said “ch-ch-ch-ch” and specifically not “cha-cha-cha”.

    Is this the sound you guys hear? Trying to figure out the “sprinkler sound” If so I’m guessing the slotted/dimpled/drilled reason is right.


    Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    “Ch-ch-ch-ch” sounds about right. I brought it back to shop that installed it as well as another indy shop for inspection. Nothing seem out of the ordinary. the noise doesn’t bother me anymore. What still bothers me is when my rear wheels go over the reflectors while changing lanes, it sounds like something is lose. It’s a slight rattle. Again I had 2 shops look at it and they both said it was fine. Never heard this noise before replacing the brakes. I replaced the front anti rattle clips during the install so it can’t be that and plus noise is coming from rear. There are no anti rattle clips in the rear I don’t think


    Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    2013 Audi S5 Premium Plus | H&R springs | AWE S-Flo CF intake | AWE Touring Exhaust 102mm Diamond Tips | AWE non-resonated downpipes |

  8. #168
    Established Member Four Rings wkhanna's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 12 2017
    AZ Member #
    399355
    My Garage
    needs cleaned
    Location
    Land of Archaic Anachronisms

    Quote Originally Posted by AWEs5 View Post
    “Ch-ch-ch-ch” sounds about right. I brought it back to shop that installed it as well as another indy shop for inspection. Nothing seem out of the ordinary. the noise doesn’t bother me anymore. What still bothers me is when my rear wheels go over the reflectors while changing lanes, it sounds like something is lose. It’s a slight rattle. Again I had 2 shops look at it and they both said it was fine. Never heard this noise before replacing the brakes. I replaced the front anti rattle clips during the install so it can’t be that and plus noise is coming from rear. There are no anti rattle clips in the rear I don’t think


    Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    i use a V thin film of high-temp rtv on the non-piston side pads....
    Billy

    Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob

    2011 A5 2.0T Old Man Project
    2011 A4 quattro 2.0t (The Wife's)
    1983 Porsche 944 (Modified)
    1985 BWM K100RS (since new - Heavily Modified)
    1971 Moto Guzzi Elderodo
    Avatar Chart

  9. #169
    Established Member Two Rings BucDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 19 2017
    AZ Member #
    403220
    Location
    San Diego, CA

    Can I assume that the general consensus about the pads, both semi-metallic and ceramic in the kit, aren't that great? Better off going with Akebonos and just the rotors only? When you guys are changing rotors and pads, are you also changing the boots and the clips?

    What anti vibration compound are you guys using? Will likely get a set and take advantage of their deal before the end of the month. I'm at about 4mm for the front pads right now, but this deal seems too good.

  10. #170
    Established Member Four Rings wkhanna's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 12 2017
    AZ Member #
    399355
    My Garage
    needs cleaned
    Location
    Land of Archaic Anachronisms

    Quote Originally Posted by BucDan View Post
    Can I assume that the general consensus about the pads, both semi-metallic and ceramic in the kit, aren't that great?
    i can not speak to any experiance with their pads, but would guess for a daily-driver they are fine.

    Quote Originally Posted by BucDan
    Better off going with Akebonos and just the rotors only?
    again, not sure if the Ake's are lower dust than the ceramic ones in their kit...
    ...i only know that i have never heard anyone with Ake's that was not happy with the all-around performance/low-dust characteristics....

    Quote Originally Posted by BucDan
    When you guys are changing rotors and pads, are you also changing the boots and the clips?
    ....always.... why would anyone not insure their brakes are in tip-top condition, especially when doing the work yourself....?
    ....the replacement parts not expensive.... i consider them 'one-use disposables'......
    ....V cheap insurance & what could more important than properly functioning brakes??????

    Quote Originally Posted by BucDan
    What anti vibration compound are you guys using?
    ....i just use a V thin film of high-temp RTV ......a good buddy here swears by CRC 05016 Disc Brake Quiet




    i fully endorse this stuff:

    Billy

    Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob

    2011 A5 2.0T Old Man Project
    2011 A4 quattro 2.0t (The Wife's)
    1983 Porsche 944 (Modified)
    1985 BWM K100RS (since new - Heavily Modified)
    1971 Moto Guzzi Elderodo
    Avatar Chart

  11. #171
    Established Member Two Rings BucDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 19 2017
    AZ Member #
    403220
    Location
    San Diego, CA

    Quote Originally Posted by wkhanna View Post
    i can not speak to any experiance with their pads, but would guess for a daily-driver they are fine.


    again, not sure if the Ake's are lower dust than the ceramic ones in their kit...
    ...i only know that i have never heard anyone with Ake's that was not happy with the all-around performance/low-dust characteristics....



    ....always.... why would anyone not insure their brakes are in tip-top condition, especially when doing the work yourself....?
    ....the replacement parts not expensive.... i consider them 'one-use disposables'......
    ....V cheap insurance & what could more important than properly functioning brakes??????



    ....i just use a V thin film of high-temp RTV ......a good buddy here swears by CRC 05016 Disc Brake Quiet




    i fully endorse this stuff:


    Awesome, thanks for the response!

  12. #172
    Senior Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Apr 02 2014
    AZ Member #
    169761
    Location
    Maryland

    im a little confused regarding the ceramic pads. from their site it states their premium ceramic brake pads "are NOT recommended for heavy cars, trucks and SUV's because they do not have a high temperature fade resistance and friction level". i always thought ceramic brakes/pads were specifically meant to be used in high performance/temperature applications, hence why they are offered on high performance and race cars. and iirc, the main complaint regarding akebono ceramic pads i have read on this site are that they lack an initial bite on a daily driver because normal driving conditions do not produce enough heat.

    from tire rack, "These pads use ceramic compounds and copper fibers in place of the semi-metallic pad's steel fibers. This allows the ceramic pads to handle high brake temperatures with less heat fade, provide faster recovery after the stop, and generate less dust and wear on both the pads and rotors. And from a comfort standpoint, ceramic compounds provide much quieter braking because the ceramic compound helps dampen noise by generating a frequency beyond the human hearing range."

    am i missing something?

  13. #173
    Established Member Four Rings wkhanna's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 12 2017
    AZ Member #
    399355
    My Garage
    needs cleaned
    Location
    Land of Archaic Anachronisms

    Quote Originally Posted by Petrolhead View Post
    im a little confused regarding the ceramic pads. from their site it states their premium ceramic brake pads "are NOT recommended for heavy cars, trucks and SUV's because they do not have a high temperature fade resistance and friction level"...........

    am i missing something?
    i agree, this is contrary to all other descriptions of ceramic pads i remember reading.
    Billy

    Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob

    2011 A5 2.0T Old Man Project
    2011 A4 quattro 2.0t (The Wife's)
    1983 Porsche 944 (Modified)
    1985 BWM K100RS (since new - Heavily Modified)
    1971 Moto Guzzi Elderodo
    Avatar Chart

  14. #174
    Senior Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Apr 02 2014
    AZ Member #
    169761
    Location
    Maryland

    Just sent a email to Athena requesting a quote!

    Regarding the noise produced by dimpled rotors, does anyone know if drilled rotors are any quieter or do they both produce the same noise?

  15. #175
    Senior Member Two Rings robertstitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 24 2016
    AZ Member #
    377074
    Location
    Richmond Hill

    Quote Originally Posted by Petrolhead View Post
    Just sent a email to Athena requesting a quote!

    Regarding the noise produced by dimpled rotors, does anyone know if drilled rotors are any quieter or do they both produce the same noise?
    I have the slotted and dimple rotors purchased from them and I don't hear any noise. BTW, great price and service from these guys. Buy the akebono euro ceramics. Different feel from the stock but very progressive and you'll love your wheels.

  16. #176
    Senior Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Apr 02 2014
    AZ Member #
    169761
    Location
    Maryland

    Placed my order yesterday and Athena hooked it up!

    Front two (2) Premium Cross-Drilled & Slotted Brake Rotors (CB-33138) = $150.00
    Rear two (2) Premium Cross-Drilled & Slotted Brake Rotors (CB-33137) = $125.00

    Front two (2) Premium Dimpled & Slotted Brake Rotors (RB-33138) = $175.00
    Rear two (2) Premium Dimpled & Slotted Brake Rotors (RB-33137) = $155.00

    i decided to go with regular cross drilled and slotted since they are cheaper and they also have a lifetime warranty which covers warping and cracking! i have never seen any company offer a warranty more than a year on brakes let alone a lifetime warranty for of all things, warping and cracking! how do these people make money?

    i don't track my car so i don't think this will be an issue anyways and a couple ounces lighter can't hurt right? i also ended up getting the akebonos for about $111 off ebay. im a fan of the instant bite from the stock pads but i freaking hate cleaning my wheels and that god awful squeal during the winter months. very interested to see how these perform. do you just have to push down on the brake peddle harder or it doesn't matter? wonder if anyone has done a 60-0 comparison.

  17. #177
    Established Member Three Rings
    Join Date
    Feb 02 2017
    AZ Member #
    392259
    Location
    Beaverton, OR

    Quote Originally Posted by Petrolhead View Post
    i also ended up getting the akebonos for about $111 off ebay. im a fan of the instant bite from the stock pads but i freaking hate cleaning my wheels and that god awful squeal during the winter months. very interested to see how these perform. do you just have to push down on the brake peddle harder or it doesn't matter? wonder if anyone has done a 60-0 comparison.
    The Pads make a huge difference in brake dust - almost zero now. The bite is not there like stock but after driving it a bit I got used to it. All worth it in the end. Less bite = Less brake dust!

  18. #178
    Established Member Four Rings wkhanna's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 12 2017
    AZ Member #
    399355
    My Garage
    needs cleaned
    Location
    Land of Archaic Anachronisms

    Quote Originally Posted by chip_ View Post
    The Pads make a huge difference in brake dust - almost zero now. The bite is not there like stock but after driving it a bit I got used to it. All worth it in the end. Less bite = Less brake dust!
    i know many folks are V happy with akebonos &the other low-dust pads out there....
    ...but loosing cold bite is a sacrifice i could never live with.
    performance is just to important to me....

    i am V happy with the stoptech sport pads.... xlent cold bite & V little dust, imho....
    & since i started work & commute in the city a few years ago, cold bite is even more critical...
    a shorter stop of just a few inches can mean the difference between a momentary rise in bp, or a trip to the body shop...

    i also put ceramic coating on my wheels, & cleaning what little dust they accumulate in a weeks worth of driving is a breeze, now....


    but i am glad for everyone that that has the low-dust pads & they are satisfied with the products they purchases.
    Billy

    Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob

    2011 A5 2.0T Old Man Project
    2011 A4 quattro 2.0t (The Wife's)
    1983 Porsche 944 (Modified)
    1985 BWM K100RS (since new - Heavily Modified)
    1971 Moto Guzzi Elderodo
    Avatar Chart

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


    © 2001-2018 Audizine, Audizine.com, and Driverzines.com
    Audizine is an independently owned and operated automotive enthusiast community and news website.
    Audi and the Audi logo(s) are copyright/trademark Audi AG. Audizine is not endorsed by or affiliated with Audi AG.