Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Established Member Two Rings mpowertech's Avatar
    AZ Member #

RS4 build thread/discussion

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I wanted to centralize some of my thoughts, ideas and modifications that would be part of the journey of ownership of this great automobile. I realize all of my modifications that I have planned might not be in line with some of the purist idealism associated with the marque, but that's ok.

Here's a link to my last build, a 1986 635csi that I turbo'd.

http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?p=968115

Anyway here we go. Hope you enjoy as much as I will, unleashing this rare beast.

Showroom May 1

I drove the car for the 1st time last week(I just returned from a long hitch overseas)

I love the car. Love it. Seamless power is the best description I can give. But I'm chomping at the bit to tear down the IM to check out the Carbon buildup. 84k on the clock, so it's inevitable . But spacers will be a part of this 2 punch combo, and there's just not enough time before the AWD show this wknd, to do this, and have the exhaust finished, so it'll have to wait.

I've got a borescope so I'll take a peek at the buildup tomorrow before the trek to the beach for the show.

Exhaust pics:

I decided to go 3";304SS/catless down pipe with cheater O2's/homemade X-pipe/and v bands all around.
    Tig welded / Mig tacked.

3" affords me the option if/when supercharging becomes possible.

Down pipes out....What a b*tch

[/URL]
    Supplies:

Down pipes flexies and vband connectors...

I will post pictures and videos of the exhaust when it's all buttoned up. Of course it will be too loud, but I can always resonate later..
    2008 RS4 Phantom black

Veteran Member Four Rings highPSI-S4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    C7.5 S6, 14 Jetta 1.8t, 15 ZX6R

What are your plans with the car ( Suspension, wheels, other mods), aside from a future supercharger? Cant wait to see the exhaust work.
    C7.5 Glacier Wht | Prestige | Blk Optics | JB4 Beta | Mike's Downpipes | Becker Catback | Roc Euro | EC Diff Mount | EC F/R SB| EC Trans Mount | Airmatic Links | HRE FF04 20x9 et25| Carbon Mirrors | RS Grille | Yellow Calipers |
    Instagram: @Sinister_S6

Veteran Member Four Rings tadhgbrosnan's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I appreciate your DIY initiative but why try to assemble an exhaust yourself, from scratch? JHM has already done VERY extensive R&D and rolled out a performance proven 2.75" option that is both reasonably priced and sounds fantastic. Been on the forums several years and I have yet to come across a one-off, homemade/custom exhaust on any Audi that sounds good or offers any real performance gains.

SOLD 4/16/15- '08 Daytona Gray RS4/Black leather/CF trim/35% tint/MTM 10mm spacers/Euro steering wheel/GMG catback w/ Magnaflow DPs

SOLD 9/4/11- '04 Nogaro Blue S4 w/ LaBree Resonated Fullback/ Vogtland Coils/ ECS Snub Mount/18x8.5" et32 Diamond Black RS-GTs

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by tadhgbrosnan View Post
    I appreciate your DIY initiative but why try to assemble an exhaust yourself, from scratch? JHM has already done VERY extensive R&D and rolled out a performance proven 2.75" option that is both reasonably priced and sounds fantastic. Been on the forums several years and I have yet to come across a one-off, homemade/custom exhaust on any Audi that sounds good or offers any real performance gains.
    I'm aware of the R&D that JHM has invested. It's evident by their successful business model. I have always been self reliant to a fault, and one of my enjoyments in life comes from tackling projects like this. But I have a feeling you will enjoy my creation once completed, if not that's ok too. After all, taste is subjective.

AZ Member #

Down pipe flange bell'd and 3"spool piece tig ops

Registered Member Four Rings EUROSWAGR's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2015 Ford F-150 FX4 (twins) / 2012 Audi Q5 S-line

It looks like you will do an amzing job, I wish I had your welding skill. I also completely understand taking on the project yourself if you have the means to do so. There is a great feeling when you know you built it and fabricated it yourself, it isn't like your cutting corners and hacking stuff together, which I think most of us have seen people do in the past.

I think 3" may be overkill, but good luck.

Veteran Member Four Rings WinterRunner's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    12' DG R8 5.2 18' Q3 BO S+ 03' Forester XS 5spd.

Quote Originally Posted by tadhgbrosnan View Post
    I think what he is doing is amazing and I am quite envious of his apparent skills in building/fabricating. I expect great things from this build thread.
    Current: 12' R8 Daytona/CF V10 6SP
    ~~VF/Hex tune~Avior Non-res~Reid intake tubes~10mm Spulen spacers~CF S-wheel~
    ~OEM euro side mirrors~Blendmount/iXc~Xpel'd~Gated 6MT~No questions asked~

Past:
    09' Daytona/CF R8 V8 6MT
    08' Daytona/Ti RS4 (dearly missed)
    05.5' Dolphin S4

Veteran Member Three Rings B5SilverS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    02 Porsche 911 Turbo, 03 Audi RS6, 01 Audi S4, 05 Mercedes CLK55 AMG

Pretty awesome info so far, I will stay tuned! Good luck!
    2001 Audi S4 Nogaro Blue w/Black interior, APR, Stasis, BBS, etc.
    2003 Audi RS6 Daytona Gray Pearl w/Platinum interior, 10SecS4 Tune, MTM TCU
    2005 Mercedes CLK55 AMG Black on Black, Kleemann, Renntech, BBS, Bistein, etc.
    2002 Porsche 911 Turbo Lapis Blue Metallic, BBS LMs, H&R Coilovers
    2009 VW EOS White w/Black interior 6 Speed Manual, Rotiform BLQs, ST Coilovers
    1991 BMW 318IC (E30)

Veteran Member Three Rings gesTTalt's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Looking forward to seeing the results of your work!
    07 Daytona Grey RS4

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Good for you for doing it yourself! I look forward to seeing how it comes out.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Sprint Blue B7 S4

Looking forward to this build. Seems like your highly motivated and knowledgeable. A 3" exhaust is a big increase from stock (believe that is 2.38" or something around there). It's likely to cause a loss of power on an otherwise stock car, but I'm sure you've considered that. How soon are you hoping to SC it?

AZ Member #

DP fitment pic.

Xpipe mockup/fab

Xpipe Tig ops

Straights mockup/mig tacks only

Muffler fitment

Veteran Member Four Rings 65vetteC6's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    V8's

Youre really moving right along

Veteran Member Four Rings MarcusDubya77's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '18 Volvo XC-60, '05 Honda S2000

Awesome, and way to go for undertaking your own fabrication. Looking forward to the build.
    19 C43 AMG / 08 Evolution X / 07 Phantom Black JHM-SC / 05 e46 M3 Dinan S/C / 05 Honda S2000 ITB Build amongst many others...

"Bitches... Come over here and have sex with Charlie Murphy" ~ Rick James

Veteran Member Four Rings washyourrhands's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B8.5 S4

This is really impressive. Keep up the good work!
    2015 Audi S4
    2007 Audi RS4
    2002 Audi S4

Instagram: @washyourrhands #bodenarmy

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by 65vetteC6 View Post
    Youre really moving right along
    The AWD show is this weekend, and my first show of the season, so I'm trying feverishly to knock this out.

As far as other modifications are concerned I'm looking into getting an air ride suspension, Vossen CV3 20x10 super concave. JHM tune is a given for adaptability. Intake manifold spacers. LWFW. S3 clutch. Upgraded oil cooler. Drivetrain bushings. Lots of things I haven't thought of and possibly a supercharger. Eventually. Read-I-nessability is a must. 😎

Veteran Member Four Rings BCsniper's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B6 S4 6MT Avant, B6 3.0 Avant 6MT (for sale), C5 A6 2.8

you doing all of this in your home garage?

it's great work to see from DIY no matter what. Other times I would agree with go with something tried and true, but it looks like you know what you are doing and plenty capable. Keep up the good work. Interested to see what to come especially if you are planning on getting a SC in the future. I agree with RS4Elitist and that I think 3" might be too big. XLR8 made a custom 3: setup for a customer before but I don't think it's really been done too much since it starts to get hard to fit the 3" pipes down there and that large of an increase may be more than is necessary even with F.I.

Another for getting to work so quickly.....also everytime I look at your location I think of the show The Wire

Veteran Member Four Rings 65vetteC6's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    V8's

Quote Originally Posted by BCsniper View Post

it's great work to see from DIY no matter what. Other times I would agree with go with something tried and true, but it looks like you know what you are doing and plenty capable. Keep up the good work. Interested to see what to come especially if you are planning on getting a SC in the future. I agree with RS4Elitist and that I think 3" might be too big. XLR8 made a custom 3: setup for a customer before but I don't think it's really been done too much since it starts to get hard to fit the 3" pipes down there and that large of an increase may be more than is necessary even with F.I.

Another for getting to work so quickly.....also everytime I look at your location I think of the show The Wire
    I fit 3.5" under the car :) he will be fine with 3.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B8.5 S4

Quote Originally Posted by mpowertech View Post
    The AWD show is this weekend, and my first show of the season, so I'm trying feverishly to knock this out.

As far as other modifications are concerned I'm looking into getting an air ride suspension, Vossen CV3 20x10 super concave. JHM tune is a given for adaptability. Intake manifold spacers. LWFW. S3 clutch. Upgraded oil cooler. Drivetrain bushings. Lots of things I haven't thought of and possibly a supercharger. Eventually. Read-I-nessability is a must. ��
    im in the process of air ride myself. Welcome to the club Let me know if you need help with parts.
    2015 Audi S4
    2007 Audi RS4
    2002 Audi S4

AZ Member #

Exhaust completed. Exhausted...
    Brutal madness. It idles and drives passively, but drop the hammer and it's like the gates of hell just spit out this Audi. Pics /video/GoPro /and sketches all available soon.

Time to count sheep...zzzzzzz
    2008 RS4 Phantom black

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Congrats man!!! Can't wait to see/hear it when you post up the videos.
    1991 BMW 318IC (E30)

Veteran Member Four Rings singleframe's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 Phantom Black RS4, VW eGolf

Subscribed!!!!
    IG @myRS4 | 2007 RS4 | Phantom Black | Milltek'ed | KW H.A.S. kitted | Rotiformed (SPF DDT 19X10 +25) | PSSed 275/30/19 | LED DRL'ed | H&R wheel spaced | 034 Density Line control armed | Hotchkis F + R Sway Barred | Apikol rear-diff mounted | K&N Filtered | Ziza lit | Passport 9500ix hardwired | Dension Pro BT'ed | StopTech Brake Padded | window trim matte black vinyl wrapped

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by BCsniper View Post

Yes, this is the garage at my house. I have it set up with some of the tools and equipment that allow me and my friends to perform some of this type of work.

You are spot on about the spacing dilemma in the tunnel. 3" was a challenge to say the least. We went through 2 iterations before we were happy with the results. It meant we had to basically scrap at the x-pipe and rebuild. It was worth it in the end seeing the finished product. The local supply house(P1 performance/Sikky racing) offered an ovalized 3" that might have done a better job at fittmet @ the pinch point under the DS bearing, but I've never used them and wanted to stay consistent as far as shape went.

I appreciate all the positive feedback on here. Although, constructive criticism is always welcome, as well. You can learn something from anybody. That vet greeter at Wal-Mart might've stormed the hill@Normandy. Your dry cleaner could have a PhD in neuroscience. I've always tried to contribute in discussions, but I'm also a great listener. I've learned some of my most valuable lessons just by keeping my ears open, and my trap shut.

Woke @ 6am. I need to pack an overnight bag, grab the media gear out of the charger sets, put the coffee on, and get ready to wake the neighbors. I can't stop thinking about how magnificent this exhaust truly sounds.

Show time...
    2008 RS4 Phantom black

Veteran Member Four Rings ad2330's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Nicely done, OP. Looking forward to where this thread will take us! Envious of your skills!
    ~ Matt J
    IG: @rsrtsvt

'08 RS4 -- Suzuka
    991.2 GT3 -- Chalk

'15 R8 V10 Plus (SOLD)
    '07 PB Audi RS4 (SOLD)

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B8.5 S4

Cannot wait to hear this thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2015 Audi S4
    2007 Audi RS4
    2002 Audi S4

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by mpowertech View Post
    Exhaust completed. Exhausted...
    Brutal madness. It idles and drives passively, but drop the hammer and it's like the gates of hell just spit out this Audi. Pics /video/GoPro /and sketches all available soon.

Time to count sheep...zzzzzzz
    Nice. I am sure the hard work has paid off.

AZ Member #

Test run/video of me leaving Harbor Freight. Needed some picks for the CC cleaning. (Dont be hatin' Horrible Frieght)

I posted it under my YouTube Channel

Euroboost is the Channel name if you are so inclined to check out some other footage I've taken. Subscribe for upcoming videos and I'd really be stoked!

The sound is best described as smooth yet brutal. It sounds like super car royalty to me, and I absolutely love it. Very happy with the results, and truth be told folks, with a little practice and patience its not out of the realm of possibility for an enthusiastic DIY'er.

I'm not sure how those supercharger ma-jiggys work, but this ol' mare pulls like California Chrome(pre Belmot Stakes of course)

Sorry for the rear view angle, but I know how shyte the GoPro audio can be w/o being properly mik'd up.

2008 RS4 Phantom black

Veteran Member Four Rings Mr.Wrong's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Wow that is really loud and aggressive....well done well done sir
    2005 AUDI //S4 B6 6MT Atlas Gray 1/5 - Project Atlas Build Thread
    Forget the B8, keep the V8!
    Buying a used B6/7 S4 is like playing Russian roulette...

Senior Member Three Rings OscarMeyer's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    VW/AUDI Only

Awesome fab work! She Sounds badass!
    07 RS4 - Projekt: Pandora

Senior Member Two Rings BIG_blu's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Amazing work! I'll take one.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I like it! Great work.
    1991 BMW 318IC (E30)

Forum Moderator Four Rings docurley's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Wow, very nice..... surprised your not looking at trying to squeeze in a pair of turbos
    Avus Audi RS4 2007 |Stock| Black optic | intake pipe| Android RSN-E| carbon knob Handbrake Airbag| LED interior & puddle lights

Veteran Member Four Rings highPSI-S4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    C7.5 S6, 14 Jetta 1.8t, 15 ZX6R

Nice! Really Aggressive, I like!
    C7.5 Glacier Wht | Prestige | Blk Optics | JB4 Beta | Mike's Downpipes | Becker Catback | Roc Euro | EC Diff Mount | EC F/R SB| EC Trans Mount | Airmatic Links | HRE FF04 20x9 et25| Carbon Mirrors | RS Grille | Yellow Calipers |
    Instagram: @Sinister_S6

Veteran Member Four Rings Datadatum's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2008 RS 4

RS4 really has a spectacular engine sound. Never get tired of it.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by docurley View Post
    Wow, very nice..... surprised your not looking at trying to squeeze in a pair of turbos
    In all seriousness , it's something that I may be considering. Obviously many before me have thought of this option as well, but it has never come to fruition. It can be done, it would just take an amount of R&D that even turbo guru Corky Bell might shy away from. I was part of a twin turbo R8 build that was a one off at the time(featured on Euroboost ; my YouTube channel) but for now I couldn't be happier with the results of the exhaust.
    2008 RS4 Phantom black

Veteran Member Four Rings WinterRunner's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    12' DG R8 5.2 18' Q3 BO S+ 03' Forester XS 5spd.

Mean as hell! Kudos!
    Current: 12' R8 Daytona/CF V10 6SP
    ~~VF/Hex tune~Avior Non-res~Reid intake tubes~10mm Spulen spacers~CF S-wheel~
    ~OEM euro side mirrors~Blendmount/iXc~Xpel'd~Gated 6MT~No questions asked~

Past:
    09' Daytona/CF R8 V8 6MT
    08' Daytona/Ti RS4 (dearly missed)
    05.5' Dolphin S4

Senior Member Three Rings JoeyManhattan's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2001 VW Passat B5

Dat sound....

D.V.C.
    3rd Mate Unlimited