Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

05 a4 1.8t Trans stuck in limp mode

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    On the highway the other day I went to pass on the highway, the tranny hesitated, then CLUNK! And the PNDS lit up instantly. I limped her home and scanned it. I'm getting code p1825 "pressure control valve 3 for auto transmission -n217. Short circuit to b+ (static)" I tried clearing it but goes right back to limp mode. I currently have the trans pan off and the wiring to the solenoids looks good. Anybody know which solenoid is #3 n217? There seems to be three green solenoids and three black...are these interchangeable ( green for green) etc?
    Thanks
    2005 USP-APR k04,Kinectic exhaust manifold, techtonics downpipe, apr inlet, carbonio, boost brothers Fmic,VMR test pipe, st coilovers, b5 s4 brakes, 517 valve body

Established Member Two Rings markcm's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    04 A A4 Avant 1.8 sport, 02 passat 1.8t Wagon, 00 A4 Avant 1.8t

Pressure regulating valves n215 n216, n217 N218

Did you figure this out?

I have a re-occurring fault for n216 which is said to be responsible for smooth shifting. Car keeps dropping in to limp mode.

Did you end up replacing any of your n21x valves or find out if they are interchangeable, or find a source for them?

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Help identifying ZF 5HP-19 solenoid by "N21x" numbers.

Is anyone familiar with these 5HP-19 transmissions? I'm having the same problem.

I've dropped the pan and I'm checking out my valve body on the trans. I've got a few q's.

It has a wire harness, not a ribbon cable so I think that's ok. I cant figure out how to identify which solenoid is N216, pressure regulating valve.

Also, The re-occurring error I am getting says that N216 is open or shorted, but when I scan with vagcom, vagcom constantly drops the connection every 10 seconds or so but the N216 signal is always present when it is scanning.

I just rotated the positions of all but one of the solenoids (respective to color). The far right/passenger side green solenoid was blocked in place as seen in the image. After moving their positions (respective to color) I still get the same N216 open or short fault.

The error always says the problem is N216 open or short but also when I use measure blocks, all the N21x solenoids all read .045v and nothing changes when I unplug them. I'm wondering if I maybe have a TCU problem.

Does anyone know where the TCU is on a 2004 A4, under the ECU in the engine compartment , or under passenger side floor?

And do you know how to identify which solenoid is which?

Thanks for help. Here's a picture from the rear looking up at my valvebody:

Last edited by markcm; 09-01-2014 at 12:52 PM.

Senior Member Three Rings Toolaa's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2004 A4 Quattro 1.8T

I thought the TCU is directly under the ECU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by markcm View Post
    Is anyone familiar with these 5HP-19 transmissions? I'm having the same problem.

I've dropped the pan and I'm checking out my valve body on the trans. I've got a few q's.

It has a wire harness, not a ribbon cable so I think that's ok. I cant figure out how to identify which solenoid is N216, pressure regulating valve.

Also, The re-occurring error I am getting says that N216 is open or shorted, but when I scan with vagcom, vagcom constantly drops the connection every 10 seconds or so but the N216 signal is always present when it is scanning.

I just rotated the positions of all but one of the solenoids (respective to color). The far right/passenger side green solenoid was blocked in place as seen in the image. After moving their positions (respective to color) I still get the same N216 open or short fault.

The error always says the problem is N216 open or short but also when I use measure blocks, all the N21x solenoids all read .045v and nothing changes when I unplug them. I'm wondering if I maybe have a TCU problem.

Does anyone know where the TCU is on a 2004 A4, under the ECU in the engine compartment , or under passenger side floor?

And do you know how to identify which solenoid is which?

Thanks for help. Here's a picture from the rear looking up at my valvebody:

This turned out to be a bad TCM. I got a replacement from ebay which fixed the limp mode and faults I was getting.