Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 1 of 76 1231151 ... LastLast
    Veteran Member Four Rings 100Daily's Avatar
    AZ Member #

The Official B8/B8.5 S4 Track Drivers Thread

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I wanted to start an Official B8 Track Thread for those looking to share thoughts, insights, and experiences fro running your car on the circuit. The ¼ mile guys have their thread, its time we had ours!

For those that don't know me, I organize a monthly track meet with the Rocky Mountain Regional AZ members at our track High Plains Raceway. A couple months ago we had 17 Audi’s show up in just one track day!

I will start off by sharing some of my tech gear. I like to make video’s of my exploits at the track. Here is an example from my track day yesterday in the "fast group", don’t worry the music is only the first 30 seconds:

Gear Used
    TrackAddict iOS App
    Dual XGPS150 (5 Hz GPS for more accurate mapping)
    GoPoint BT1 OBD-2 Bluetooth Adaptor (Shows RPM, Gear, Speed, Throttle)
    BlackView DG400’s in the front and rear
    Panasonic Video Camera filming in cabin with Gecko Mount
    Compiled using iMovie

Here are just some potential topics to get the conversation started:

BRAKES: For those looking to discuss brakes, here is a good link for starters: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...k-upgrade-kits

TIRES/WHEELS: I am currently running a set of Toyo Proxes R888 after destroying a set of Continental DW’s in one 30 minute session : ( What tires have you guys had luck with? What tire pressure do you run?

TIMES: What sort of times are you guys putting down at your local track? What are our S4’s capable of versus the competition? To throw some numbers out there, at my local track I am putting down a 2:08, which is fairly respectable. I am not sure what class a B8 S4 would be in, but to give you an idea: http://www.nasa-tt.com/Rocky_Mountai...2_articleid/52

SUSPENSION: I look to invest in something next summer, and hope you guys can share your setups.

SUPPORT GEAR: What do you bring with to the track? Torque Wrench, tire pressure gauge, plastic removal tool, etc.

PREPERATION: Do you have a ritual for getting ready? Check tire pressure, install tow hook, setup cameras, watch video’s to ready yourself for track layout, etc.

Hopefully this will get the conversation started during this off-season and we can all be better prepared for next year and beyond! Thanks.
    2012 Audi R8 V10 Gated - Stage 1 - Phantom Black - Carbon Package

Gone But Not Forgotten: 2013 S4 3.0 ---- 2008 A5 3.2 ---- 2005.5 A4 2.0T ---- 1993 90S 2.8

Veteran Member Four Rings MrFunk's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Subscribed - I don't have anything to add at this point as I've never tracked mine but I plan on tracking it next summer just for the experience and to push it closer to some limits...
    Another potential conversation would be WEIGHT REDUCTION. I just find it hard to think that this vehicle can be a good regular track car given it's weight.

AZ Member #

Another one I should have added:

MECHANICAL ISSUES

I once was shifting from 4th into 5th, but I missed 5th and hit THIRD. The car mechanically over-revved. It was terrible. I didn't even fully let out the clutch before the dash lit up and it went into limp mode. I VAG-COM'd it and it said "Crank Shaft Position Sensor Tooth Missing". Ouch. I had actually never missed a shift like that in memory, but my instructor told me I need to slow down my hands. Thankfully I just re-set my car and its fine.

Similarly, I am curious if anyone has ever had their rear-diff overheat. It states in the owners manual there is an error light for it, but I have never experienced it.

Gone But Not Forgotten: 2013 S4 3.0 ---- 2008 A5 3.2 ---- 2005.5 A4 2.0T ---- 1993 90S 2.8

Veteran Member Four Rings auditd0rk's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Forgive my A4 intrusion into the "S4" track thread

First off, thanks for pulling together everyone for those open lapping days -- was a great summer of track time! I remember that one day from your pic where the Audis ruled the morning session.

While I'm by no means a skilled track guy, I did find the following helpful for me over the course of the summer:

1. Run a session or two with an instructor. My driving was night and day after having an instructor ride along with me -- entering/leaving turns, braking, etc.

2. Video. Invest in a camera and record your laps, then post for folks to view/critique. I got a lot of good feedback from others in the forum. Also find a buddy who will ride behind you and record you. Of course, if your buddy is 100Daily, the only shot you'll get is of him overtaking you and leaving you for dead.

EDIT:

SUSPENSION: H&R coilovers; Eurocode front/rear sways, Alu Kreuz, and end links; SPC adjustable upper control arms. Pic of alignment I ran on last track day:

TIRES/WHEELS: I ran the summer with a set of BBS CH-Rs wrapped with Michelin Pilot Super Sports. While not the lightest wheel available, they're quite strong. The Michelins did a great job until around the 3rd session. Once the track surface temp climbed, they got a little sketchy once you had in a few laps. I think next summer I'm going to try the Toyo R888s... maybe even go with a lighter wheel (Enkei PF01).

BRAKES: StopTech ST-60 w/ 355mm rotor; StopTech SR32 race pads; Motul RBF600

SUPPORT GEAR: Miscellaneous tools for minor repairs, if necessary. Tire pressure gauge and torque wrench are a must -- I check pressure and lug bolt torque after each session. I bring along my Mac and VAG-COM cable, too.

PREP: I check fluid levels and add around seven gallons of 100-octane so that I can use my 93-octane map.
    Last edited by auditd0rk; 12-29-2013 at 07:04 AM.
    2012 A4 Quattro, Monsoon Grey | CTS K04, HFC | APR K04 v3 Tune | AWE Exhaust | Eurocode FMIC, Alu Kreuz, Sway Bars | Bilstein PSS10 | SPC UCAs | Apikol Rear Diff Mount | 034 Transmission Mount Insert, End-links | StopTech ST-60 BBK | S4 rear brakes | CR-15 brace

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

BRAKES: Running Brembo GT kit w/Carbotech XP12 pads up front, rear is zimmerman rotor w/akebono ceramics. Brake balance seems to be maintained fine by the factory proportioning control currently.

TIRES/WHEELS: TSW Nurburging w/265/35/19 Toyo T1 Sports.

SUSPENSION: Factory ADS shocks w/KW HAS springs, H-Sport sways.. -2* camber

SUPPORT GEAR: Torque wrench, tool box w/basic stuff (wrenches, drivers, etc), cordless impact, Viair compressor, analog pressure gauge, breaker bar, jack, chairs, etc.

PREPERATION: Flush brake fluids, swap pads, top off coolant/oil as needed or replace as appropriate. General tech inspection to make sure bushings and such are fine.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by MrFunk View Post
    Subscribed - I don't have anything to add at this point as I've never tracked mine but I plan on tracking it next summer just for the experience and to push it closer to some limits...
    Another potential conversation would be WEIGHT REDUCTION. I just find it hard to think that this vehicle can be a good regular track car given it's weight.
    Westwest had an interesting thread on weight reduction: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-3600-pound-S4

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Subbed.

About time. Not many ppl track the s4 and its nice to see there are others out there.
    "I know it won't create actual downforce at 125 MPH. I know it does make the S4 more stable." - westwest888

"It doesn't say anywhere in the rule book that a dog can't drive autocross" - westwest888

"It would be easier if we just accepted my OP as fact in the Audizine sticky wiki. " -westwest888

Account Terminated Four Rings
    AZ Member #

GEAR USED
    - GoPro Hero Black Edition
    - tow hook attachment (zip ties)

BRAKES
    AP Racing 380mm 6 piston (from Stillen Brake Pro's in LA)
    Pagid Yellow RS29 race pads (front)
    JHM Motorsports 2 piece rear rotors (OEM fitment)
    Pagid Yellow RS19 race pads (rear)
    StopTech stainless lines
    RBF660 fluid or StopTech fluid

TIRES/WHEELS
    OEM 19" Peelers. First replacement tires were Michelin Pilot Super Sports lasted 9k miles and 13 track days. [EDIT] I'm using Pilot Super Sports again this season, on sale for $250 a tire.[/EDIT]

TIMES
    I don't usually focus on recorded times. I pace my skill with other folks that I go to the track with, and try to keep up with their development. Some weekends I spend two days working on a single turn and nothing else.

SUSPENSION
    Adjustable control arms for dialing in max caster, exact camber at -2.2 degrees, and 1/16 of toe out. Spherical bearings in the lower control arms for keeping the dynamic alignment the same as the static alignment. Eurocode Alu Kreuz drivetrain stabilizer. Eurocode swaybars and endlinks, front and rear.

SUPPORT GEAR
    Pyrometer
    Tire pressure gauge and release
    breaker bar
    electronic beeping torque wrench
    socket kit
    allen wrench kit
    brake fluid
    coolant

PREPERATION
    - deflate tires to 32 front and 34 rear
    - keep hot tires below 41 degrees front and rear all day
    - high octane race fuel mix on hot days ($9/gallon pump at the track)

TRACK MODS
    - APR CPS (to keep intake air temperature low enough to make big power)
    - Revo Stage 1 (software only, to keep boost on past 5200 RPM)
    - APR stage 2 intake pipe (stronger than OEM to resist vacuum pressure of intake)
    Last edited by westwest888; 12-30-2013 at 08:54 AM. Reason: tires

AZ Member #

Gear Used:
    TrackAddict iOS App (Got android.. moving to Race Chrono Next year... friends said it's good)
    Blackvue 400 g HD 2 Dash Cam
    Adobe Premiere to combine the videos
    Bell Helmit and Gloves
    Tire pressure gauge

BRAKES: Stock pads.. ATE Super Blue, with Good ridge stainless steel lines. No fade whatso ever at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park (AKA Mosport), Shannonville or Mosport Driver Development Track. A lot of guys bicker about the stock brakes.. I thought so too.. until I did the lines and the fluid... I don't feel theres a need for a BBK in terms of heat dissipation. The stock pads have pretty sufficient braking power imo. However, I may still get a BBK next year for better braking power so I can brake later and better pad wear... killed half my OEM Pads that were brand new and 2 weeks in at Mosport.

TIRES/WHEELS: Started out on Peelers and Continental Sport Contact 3s... not that great of a tire imo.. Previously used my 18x8.5 et 35 CHs on RE760... decent tire for a lower weight car... but I still managed average times at Shannonville... now using Michelin PS2 on stock peelers.. prolly the best tire I've used thus far. Going to go Michelin PSS next.

ENGINE MODS/POWERTRAIN: None.

TIMES: CTMP/Mosport I am running 1:44:06 as my fastest lap. Shannonville I do 2:09 on RE760.. haven't tried yet with Michelin PS2.. hoping to get to at least 2:07. Mosport DDT is more of a technical track and for smaller cars... Cars like S4 don't have much of an advantage IMO.. I ran 1:16 on my S4... did about 1:13 with my old GTI

Heres a video of my Fastest lap at Mosport this past summer

http://youtu.be/cdg0YSmWdOE

I can't ever get videos embedded.

SUSPENSION: Alu Kreuz and PSS10 is what I have for now.. No upper control arms in the front.. so I have 1.3 camber on driver's side front and 1.7 or so passenger side front. 1.8 Rear on both sides. 0 Toe in and Toe out in the front, toe in at the back I believe. I have sway bars from eurocode ready to install for next year. My car is currently corner balanced as well.

SUPPORT GEAR: Generally nothing... I always just take the wrench and make sure my bolts are on properly.

PREPERATION: If I haven't been to the track for a while I'll just look through my old videos or other people's videos on Youtube. I deflate my tires to about 34 cold.. and try to keep it around 40psi warm.
    Last edited by Akatsuki...; 12-29-2013 at 03:29 PM.
    "I know it won't create actual downforce at 125 MPH. I know it does make the S4 more stable." - westwest888

"It doesn't say anywhere in the rule book that a dog can't drive autocross" - westwest888

"It would be easier if we just accepted my OP as fact in the Audizine sticky wiki. " -westwest888

Veteran Member Three Rings vwong's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '10 S4, '09 335i, '98 Prelude

Quote Originally Posted by 100Daily View Post

MECHANICAL ISSUES

I once was shifting from 4th into 5th, but I missed 5th and hit THIRD. The car mechanically over-revved. It was terrible. I didn't even fully let out the clutch before the dash lit up and it went into limp mode. I VAG-COM'd it and it said "Crank Shaft Position Sensor Tooth Missing". Ouch. I had actually never missed a shift like that in memory, but my instructor told me I need to slow down my hands. Thankfully I just re-set my car and its fine.

Similarly, I am curious if anyone has ever had their rear-diff overheat. It states in the owners manual there is an error light for it, but I have never experienced it.
    Ouch....I've done that in my Prelude couple of times. The first time I miss-shifted, the car was fine (or so I thought). I drove it for another 15k miles or so before I spun a bearing. I decided to rebuild the motor then. When my friend torn down the motor, he told me that all 8 of the exhaust valves were bent. The second time I miss-shifted, I wasn't that lucky. The motor blew. From that point on, I've changed my hand position whenever I shift.
    2010 Audi S4 6MT
    2009 BMW 335i Coupe 6MT
    YouTube Channel

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Gear Used:
    - 2 Drift cameras (1 for outside, and 1 for inside)
    - Sony external mic
    - Harry's LapTimer app in my iPhone
    - PLX Kiwi WiFi (for RPM, gear, throttle position, etc.)

Brakes:
    - Stock calipers
    - Carbotech XP12/10 brake pads

Tires/Wheels:
    - Stock 19" wheels
    - Couple events on the OEM Dunlops, then Yokohama AD08s for the rest of the events, 255/35/19

Times:
    - Streets of Willow: 1:27.923 CCW (video); 1:28.747 CW (video)
    - Buttonwillow: 2:06.941 13CW (video)
    - AutoClub Speedway: 1:57.693 (video)

Suspension:
    - Stock in all of the videos above
    - Now has Hotchkis rear swaybar

Support Gear:
    - Torque wrench

Preparation:
    - Not much...just make sure that I have enough tires and brakes prior to the events, and all fluids are in good conditions
    2010 Audi S4 6MT
    2009 BMW 335i Coupe 6MT
    YouTube Channel

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by westwest888 View Post

SUSPENSION
    Adjustable control arms for dialing in max caster, exact camber at -2.2 degrees, and 1/16 of toe out. Spherical bearings in the lower control arms for keeping the dynamic alignment the same as the static alignment. Eurocode Alu Kreuz drivetrain stabilizer. Eurocode swaybars and endlinks, front and rear.

PREPERATION
    - deflate tires to 32 front and 34 rear
    - keep hot tires below 41 degrees front and rear all day
    - high octane race fuel mix on hot days ($9/gallon pump at the track)
    I use the exact same tire pressure. Do you re-adjust your suspension every time you go to the track, or just leave it the same for daily driving? How does that effect the way your tires wear?

Quote Originally Posted by Akatsuki... View Post

Gear Used:
    TrackAddict iOS App (Got android.. moving to Race Chrono Next year... friends said it's good)
    Blackvue 400 g HD 2 Dash Cam
    Adobe Premiere to combine the videos
    Bell Helmet and Gloves
    Tire pressure gauge

BRAKES: Stock pads.. ATE Super Blue, with Good ridge stainless steel lines. No fade whatso ever at Canadian Tire Motorsport Park (AKA Mosport), Shannonville or Mosport Driver Development Track. A lot of guys bicker about the stock brakes.. I thought so too.. until I did the lines and the fluid... I don't feel theres a need for a BBK in terms of heat dissipation. The stock pads have pretty sufficient braking power imo. However, I may still get a BBK next year for better braking power so I can brake later and better pad wear... killed half my OEM Pads that were brand new and 2 weeks in at Mosport.
    Looks like we have some similar gear! I also have a Bell Helmet. The brake thing is a contentious issue. In the brake thread a I referenced above there were some very strong opinions on both sides. I tend to agree with you. When I was at the track Friday I was thinking long and hard about my brakes. Even in the fast group, after a full 30 minute session my EBC pads were smoking like they were on fire, but still ZERO fade. I personally feel fluid is the reason for the fade, and those seeking a BBK for fading would be well advised to try fluid first. As you point out though, I could have certainly braked later with a BBK and thus improved my times. I am at the point of considering BBK, I just think other people are doing it for the wrong reason. I know guys with BBK's that still boil their system. Its the fluid IMO. Larger pads would be VERY nice though.

Quote Originally Posted by vwong View Post
    Ouch....I've done that in my Prelude couple of times. The first time I miss-shifted, the car was fine (or so I thought). I drove it for another 15k miles or so before I spun a bearing. I decided to rebuild the motor then. When my friend torn down the motor, he told me that all 8 of the exhaust valves were bent. The second time I miss-shifted, I wasn't that lucky. The motor blew. From that point on, I've changed my hand position whenever I shift.
    Thanks for freaking me out now ; ) It actually shook my confidence and I didn't drive the rest of that track day until I knew my car was ok. When I went on Friday though I was fine. I have since learned the importance of not moving my hands too fast. Nice Videos!

Veteran Member Four Rings zcd2.7t's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by MrFunk View Post
    Subscribed... I just find it hard to think that this vehicle can be a good regular track car given it's weight.
    The car's outright track pace surprises most everyone, but yes, 4K lbs ain't the ideal weight for a track car.

With high performance brake fluid, SS lines and some track-capable pads, the S4 flat flies...
    2022 Tesla Model 3 Performance
    2023 Genesis GV60 Performance
    2015 Q5 TDi - Torque, baby!
    (Gone) 2013 S6, Glacier White over Black.
    (Gone, never forgotten) 2011 S4 Prestige S-tronic wSTaSIS stuff

AZ Member #

@100 daily

Glad to see someone has the same issues and dont think i am crazy lol. Are you using EBC yellow stuff? How is it? My mechanic advisees against it but i havent tried it.

I am looking at 355mm stoptech st60 so i can still fit 18 winters and possibly a set of lightweight 18s

AZ Member #

I went from two to five once and i smelt a bit of a clutch burn.. but nothing else happened.

AZ Member #

This is why I grandma shift. The stock clutch is so soft there is no point in dumping it on the down or upshifts. It will just wear prematurely, especially with the extra load of a tune.

@100Daily do you need 5th? Or just doing it to keep the revs off redline?

AZ Member #

Subscribed. I'm really interested to know what software people are using for adding overlays of their car's stats to their dashcams whilst driving.
    2012 S4 ~ Phantom Black - Mustang Brown - B&O - Sport Diff - DSG
    AWE Touring Exhaust | Roc Euro Intake | Eurocode Alu-Kruez | Eurocode USS Swaybars & Solid End Links
    Canada: the land of Quattro

AZ Member #

I use the exact same tire pressure. Do you re-adjust your suspension every time you go to the track, or just leave it the same for daily driving? How does that effect the way your tires wear?
    I have the car set up one way for everything. I'm not daily driving it because I live in a city but I've streeted my road course tuned cars as an 18k mile a year car. My current pace is about 7k miles a year, half of which is driving to or around tracks. Front tires seem to last about 10k miles.

Regarding whether or not you need new brakes, every track demands a particular mod. If you only go to one track that is not hard on brakes, you can get away with not changing them. Thunderhill and Laguna are brutal on brakes, with downhill straights at the top of 4th gear that lead into 90 degree or tighter turns. Some tracks are in the desert and you'd be advised to have an APR CPS. Some tracks have frequent rain.

Here's the helmet I have: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...st-helmet-ever

AZ Member #

@100 daily

Glad to see someone has the same issues and dont think i am crazy lol. Are you using EBC yellow stuff? How is it? My mechanic advisees against it but i havent tried it.

I am looking at 355mm stoptech st60 so i can still fit 18 winters and possibly a set of lightweight 18s
    Red Stuffs. Its my daily driver and I don't swap pads. I was going to try Reds, and then Yellow's next time.

@100Daily do you need 5th? Or just doing it to keep the revs off redline?
    Actually good point, I had to stop and re-think about it. It actually happened right before the checkered flag so I was in 3rd. In hindsite I must have been trying to hit 4th and hit 2nd. I was going about 100mph... Auditd0rk was riding shotgun and got to witness the carnage. I think I was trying to be johhny quick shifter to show off and failed.

From Friday:

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I went from two to five once and i smelt a bit of a clutch burn.. but nothing else happened.
    This "miss" is fine. It's like skipping gears. But when you go down a gear where you're supposed to go up a gear, that is when mechanical damage can occur.
    2010 Audi S4 6MT
    2009 BMW 335i Coupe 6MT
    YouTube Channel

AZ Member #
    My Garage

My money shift in the Prelude back in 2006.

2010 Audi S4 6MT
    2009 BMW 335i Coupe 6MT
    YouTube Channel

AZ Member #

Also from Friday, B8 S4 versus a E90 M3. He has R-Compound tires and Exhaust.

(if you listen carefully at :07 seconds you can hear me say "yes!" under my breath when I realize its an M3. I love racing M3's)

Established Member Two Rings Doc Masher's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Subscribed!

TELEMETRICS GEAR USED
    - GoPro Hero Black Edition
    - Track addict apple App Ram Mount system to mount it in the car
    - Garmin 76CSX GPS Ram Mount system to mount it in the car

BRAKES
    -Carbotech XP10 pads (front)
    -Carbotech XP8 pads (rear)
    -Stock rotors
    -Goodridge G-stop stainless lines
    -Brembro LCF600+ fluid

TIRES/WHEELS
    -VMR 718 matt black 18x9.5 (weigh 24.5lbs each)
    -Nitto NT01 275/35/ZR18 tires

SUSPENSION
    -Stock

MODS THAT ARE IN THE GARAGE AND WILL BE INSTALLED SOON
    -Eurocode Alu Kreuz drivetrain stabilizer
    -APR CPS
    -Stoptech ST-60 355mm BBK
    -Brake cooling system

SUPPORT GEAR
    -Tire pressure gauge
    -Breaker bar
    -Torque wrench
    -Socket kit with adapters
    -Electric impact gun
    -Brake fluid
    -Coolant
    -Wood Blocks/chocks(don't set your park brake after a track run)
    -Floor jack

PREPERATION
    - Deflate tires to 28 front and 28 rear at the track (research in progress)
    - I try to keep tire pressures @ 38PSI hot

TIMES
    -Spring mountain: CW with infield no "buss stop" 2:43 top speed 132MPH
    -Auto Club Speedway: CCW "Roval" 1:58 top speed 141MPH
    Last edited by Doc Masher; 12-30-2013 at 01:29 PM.
    2011 S4 S-tronic, Sports Differential, Titanium Package, Stoptech BBK ST-60 355MM, Alu Kreuz and APR CPS pump with reservoir separator

AZ Member #

If I am skipping a gear I double clutch to slow down the transition. Clutch in, shift to neutral, clutch out, clutch in, shift to gear. I believe that saves the synchros.

AZ Member #

... was going about 100mph... Auditd0rk was riding shotgun and got to witness the carnage. I think I was trying to be johhny quick shifter to show off and failed.
    Ah yes. I believe there was a collective "Ohhhhhhh fuuuuuuuudge", then we limped back to the paddock. Luckily it turned out to be nothing, but that dash of yours lit up like a Christmas tree.
    2012 A4 Quattro, Monsoon Grey | CTS K04, HFC | APR K04 v3 Tune | AWE Exhaust | Eurocode FMIC, Alu Kreuz, Sway Bars | Bilstein PSS10 | SPC UCAs | Apikol Rear Diff Mount | 034 Transmission Mount Insert, End-links | StopTech ST-60 BBK | S4 rear brakes | CR-15 brace

AZ Member #

Does anyone here run a good pad on the rear for both street and track use?

With the ST-60, it's easy for me to swap the front pads on track day, but I'd rather leave in a good all-purpose (if that exists) pad on the rears.

Active Member Four Rings SwankPeRFection's Avatar
    AZ Member #

MECHANICAL ISSUES

When you shift up from 4th, you should be pushing towards the 1-2 o'clock position on the shifter while moving it upwards. This side pressure from your hand will keep it from shifting straight up. You should not be guiding the shift each time left/right in the middle of the gate. The side to side springing affect the shifter had natively will do that for you. All you have to do is just make sure you hold the necessary pressure side to side to keep it from moving straight up and down if you're not looking for that kind of shift. 1-2 you pull down with pressure towards 7-8 o'clock. 2-3rd you shift up with your palm but let the shifter flip by itself from the left 1&2 gate to the middle and then up. 3-4th again, just pressure down since it's not a gated transition and 4-5 again is 1-2 o'clock pressure on the shifter as you move up. 6th is pressure toward 4-5 o'clock while pulling down. If you get used to doing this, you will never have a missed shift ever again.

Veteran Member Four Rings GeoJoe's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2022 Q7, 2018 Q5, 2016 Porsche GT4, Subaru Sambar, Honda Acty Van and a 2018 Tundra Loooooooong bed

Quote Originally Posted by auditd0rk View Post
    Does anyone here run a good pad on the rear for both street and track use?

With the ST-60, it's easy for me to swap the front pads on track day, but I'd rather leave in a good all-purpose (if that exists) pad on the rears.
    I'm running YellowStuff on street and track. Good for both except the dust.

Even so, I've just picked up StopTech's BBK and can't wait to get it on.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

How do we "subscribe" to the thread? I'm coming of a 2006 Cayman S and more recently a 2009 BMW 135i with Performance Suspension. My new S4 is only a month old, but I'm hoping to track it in the Spring.
    2014 S4 Monsoon Gray Premium Plus 6MT, Adaptive Damping Suspension, Sport Differential, B&O, 18" Wheels

AZ Member #

^ you just subscribed by posting on the thread.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Thanks! Really great to have a track thread on the forum.
    2014 S4 Monsoon Gray Premium Plus 6MT, Adaptive Damping Suspension, Sport Differential, B&O, 18" Wheels

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Just a few tips from my experiences.

Brakes - Upgrade the fluid as it is a heavy car and you will boil it. I did fluid, lines and pads and didn't have any issues, just needed a bleed afterwards as the top of the peddle had lost a bit of feel due to how hot I had the brakes.
    Driving style - If your car has stock suspension (ADS included like mine) then you need to be very smooth on the inputs with the car. It is a heavy car that transfers a lot of weight and suffers quite badly from body roll in comparison to others I've taken to the track. Being too aggressive on the steering/peddles etc will upset the car and cause you to go slower.
    Tires - I have Michelin Pilot Super Sports on there, they were cooked after one hot lap everytime, reduce the hot pressures to anywhere that feels best to you below 40psi and it helps but these are not race tires and you really only get one hot lap until you're sliding all over the place with them.

Veteran Member Three Rings jedirocker's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    TRD Pro Tacoma, Shelby GT350

Great thread. I'll be re-reading it over the next few weeks to take it all in. For now, here's my info:

Gear Used:
    - BlackVue DR500GW-HD

Brakes:
    - Stock calipers
    - JHM slotted rotors front and rear
    - StopTech street pads
    - Motul 600 fluid

Tires/Wheels:
    - TSW Nurburgring 19x9.5 ET41 rotary forged wheels
    - Michelin Pilot Super Sports 265/35 ZR19

Times:
    - none recorded yet

Suspension:
    - Audi dynamic

Preparation:
    - clean the Rock-Euro intake filter
    - check tire pressure
    - check lugnuts
    - remove anything loose in the interior, including rear floormats

Experience:
    - Oct 2013: 2 track sessions at MSR in Cresson, TX with the Ferrari/Merc/Audi clubs. That's when I realized I needed instruction.
    - Dec 2013: 8 track sessions at MSR in Cresson, TX with instructor in car for 2 day DriversEdge track training. Included 6 classroom sessions.

Future Mods:
    - rear sway bar and endlinks to reduce body lean in turns
    - different brake pads than the StopTech street pads
    - stainless steel brake lines

Video
    - My final track session during DriversEdge, which includes my first time to go off the track

Current: 2018 S5
    Past: 2013 S4 | 2006 A4 Avant Quattro

AZ Member #

Thunderhill:

AZ Member #

Arial shot of the new track at Thunderhill. Someone on the forum says this isn't a desert. It looks like one to me.

AZ Member #

Thunderhill:

Was this the ACNA event? You guys have WAY more organized events than we have in Colorado. Banquets, instructors, and official fleeces... Nice

AZ Member #

Was this the ACNA event? You guys have WAY more organized events than we have in Colorado. Banquets, instructors, and official fleeces... Nice
    Indeed it is a touch of class. There are 30 R8's at some of the events. It's a well funded and well patronized club with a lot of professionalism, considering it is all volunteer.

Senior Member Three Rings s4nAri's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Arial shot of the new track at Thunderhill. Someone on the forum says this isn't a desert. It looks like one to me.

I can't wait to try the new track out. When is the finish ETA?

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Indeed it is a touch of class. There are 30 R8's at some of the events. It's a well funded and well patronized club with a lot of professionalism, considering it is all volunteer.
    That is nice. Local Sacramento chapters of PCA and BMWCCA don't sponsor their own track events. Back in Milwaukee, they do. Makes all the difference.

Senior Member Three Rings Moto One's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    C5 Z06 (going on 17 years)

With all the good weather,(drought) the new section is about a month ahead of schedule.