Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Four Rings 100Daily's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Colorado "Share The Road" Bicycle License Plate Irony

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    (not so) Deep thoughts by 100Daily:

What is wrong with official state of Colorado "Share the Road" license plate?

Lets see... They are raising money from bikers to promote "sharing the road". Good cause. Road safety. I get it, so for a logo they decided on....

A BIKER RIDING DOWN THE DEAD CENTER OF A CURVY ROAD

Of course that would be the opposite of sharing, and I laughed because of course it's such an accurate portrayal of reality. Ahh the irony.

Why not a version for cars that just shows a car driving down the middle of the road? lol

Why can't the logo be a bike and car sharing a road like "share the road signs" from the good old days?

I thought this was dripping with irony and I found it amusing. Be safe.
    2012 Audi R8 V10 Gated - Phantom Black - Black Optics

Gone But Not Forgotten: 2013 S4 3.0 ---- 2008 A5 3.2 ---- 2005.5 A4 2.0T ---- 1993 90S 2.8

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by 100Daily View Post
    (not so) Deep thoughts by 100Daily:

What is wrong with official state of Colorado "Share the Road" license plate?

Lets see... They are raising money from bikers to promote "sharing the road". Good cause. Road safety. I get it, so for a logo they decided on....

A BIKER RIDING DOWN THE DEAD CENTER OF A CURVY ROAD

Of course that would be the opposite of sharing, and I laughed because of course it's such an accurate portrayal of reality. Ahh the irony.

Why not a version for cars that just shows a car driving down the middle of the road? lol

Why can't the logo be a bike and car sharing a road like "share the road signs" from the good old days?

I thought this was dripping with irony and I found it amusing. Be safe.

yea coming down lookout mountain they ride in the middle so you have to pass way out on the other lane, some even get pissed when you pass them
    01 Audi S8: Airlift 3P, Airlift b5 struts, custom rear brackets/bags, bilstien rear shocks, 19x9 bentley wheels
    01.5 Audi S4 2.7tt 6-Sp (Imola Yellow): Airlift Bags, V2 Management, Panzer, Ecodes, 3->2.5 DPS, Twin1, DAZ Tune, bride seats, AP rollbar
    Instagram: nerdiest_
    <<Flickr>>

Veteran Member Three Rings Aok303's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Bicycle bicycle i wont ride my bicycle

Most bikes do not know the law no more then 3 feet from the line, must be able to keep speed and not cause major traffic, hand signals, must stop at all Intersections unless right away is posted (so if there is a turn lane bike must stop to let cars go first unless he has a walk signal or posted sign) bikes are not to ride side by side only in line or staggered within the 3 feet rule these are the ones that piss me off the most for one out of 3 bikers are always fucking it up.

Most accidents with bikes are there fault, only the ones where the car is at fault or they run ever make the news or if someone dies. i liked that this year in the canyon the cops were going after them and giving out tickets
    even when im on my Cbr1krr we have issues with them being in the way illegally

Veteran Member Three Rings Satummoo's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Last year, a bicyclist ran through the cross walk (red light, and red-hand) while my wife was stopped at a yield sign. Hit the side of the fender and flew on the windshield. Guy said he was late for work and amazingly wasn't hurt as he didn't have a helmet on! Caused 1,700$ worth of damage and Geico is still trying to get our deductible back as he was at fault.
    2014 Jetta 1.8t 5spd
    Just OEM+

Established Member Two Rings hans j's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    TDI Syncro Westy, 2001.5 S4, Caddy, bicycle

http://cyclingsavvy.org/hows-my-driving/

Here there is a 3 foot rule cars must stay away from bicyclists, not 3 feet from the line. I'll take the lane if I have to, it's safer for me than having someone trying to squeeze past me. Read the entire article and you will find cyclists are mad at other cyclists for not following the rules too. And as a driver, I would much rather have a bicyclist in the road than on the sidewalk where I can't see them, happened yesterday as I was pulling into my neighborhood. Kid came ripping down a tree filled sidewalk and I couldn't see him until I was committed in my turn with traffic coming. Luckily he saw me and stopped at the corner in time.

Your license plate looks like the bicycle is in the middle of the lane, not on the line. I bet if you search you might find the law is in his favor... But just be aware, bike vs car, car wins every time.

Established Member Two Rings hans j's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    TDI Syncro Westy, 2001.5 S4, Caddy, bicycle

Oh hey here it is, first thing that came up on google...

http://colobikelaw.com/law.php

Any person operating a bicycle or an electrical assisted bicycle upon a roadway at less than the normal speed of traffic shall ride in the right-hand lane, subject to the following conditions:

If the right-hand lane then available for traffic is wide enough to be safely shared with overtaking vehicles, a bicyclist shall ride far enough to the right as judged safe by the bicyclist to facilitate the movement of such overtaking vehicles unless other conditions make it unsafe to do so

A bicyclist may use a lane other than the right-hand lane when:
    Preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private roadway or driveway;
    Overtaking a slower vehicle; or
    Taking reasonably necessary precautions to avoid hazards or road conditions.

Upon approaching an intersection where right turns are permitted and there is a dedicated right-turn lane, a bicyclist may ride on the left-hand portion of the dedicated right-turn lane even if the bicyclist does not intend to turn right.

A bicyclist shall not be expected or required to:
    Ride over or through hazards at the edge of a roadway, including but not limited to fixed or moving objects, parked or moving vehicles, bicycles, pedestrians, animals, surface hazards, or narrow lanes; or
    Ride without a reasonable safety margin on the right-hand side of the roadway.

A person operating a bicycle or an electrical assisted bicycle upon a one-way roadway with two or more marked traffic lanes may ride as near to the left-hand curb or edge of such roadway as judged safe by the bicyclist, subject to the following conditions:
    If the left-hand lane then available for traffic is wide enough to be safely shared with overtaking vehicles, a bicyclist shall ride far enough to the left as judged safe by the bicyclist to facilitate the movement of such overtaking vehicles unless other conditions make it unsafe to do so.

A bicyclist shall not be expected or required to:
    Ride over or through hazards at the edge of a roadway, including but not limited to fixed or moving objects, parked or moving vehicles, bicycles, pedestrians, animals, surface hazards, or narrow lanes; or
    Ride without a reasonable safety margin on the right-hand side of the roadway.
    And yes, you must also stay three feet away from a bicycle.

Veteran Member Four Rings AudiTFSI3o3's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 Audi A4 2.0T, 2011 IS350 AWD

since we're on the subject, when and why did the law change for bikers to have to use the street/road, rather than the actually sidewalks?
    '14 Audi S4 P+ | Sport Diff | | Ice Silver | APR Stage II+ Ultracharged | APR Dual Pulley | TA Testpipes | APR DL501 | Accuair | Airlift | E-Codes | SB Leds | ECS Tuning Kohlefaser Luft-Technik Intake | Eurocode AK | P3 Cars | AWE Resonated | Deval | Enlaes | Strafe | Spulen Diff Mount | 034 Trans Insert | 034 Motor Mounts | Avant Garde F110 | VMR V810 | Vossen CV-3 | Stoptech ST-60 BBK | JHM 2-piece rears | AMS Cooling System | Eurocode Sways & Links

'16 Acura RDX AWD | Slate Silver

Veteran Member Four Rings 4ringAR's Avatar
    AZ Member #

As a bike rider, yes, people need to learn to share the road. I nearly get clipped on a daily basis by people giving me less than a foot of space. If there is a car next to you, slow down so you can move over a couple feet so youre not trimming the hair on my arm. If there is no car in the lane next to you, do you mind just shuffling over into the other lane a bit when you pass? I try and ride close to the shoulder, but on a road bike its too easy for my tires to get caught in a crack or hit a rough spot/pot-hole or not be able to avoid road debris if Im hugging the curb so I usually ride about 8 inches left of where the concrete meets the ashfalt. I only lane split when traffic is stopped, never when traffic is moving. I only run red lights after checking its clear. I try to stay on paths when I can anyways, I can ride faster because there are no stop signs and traffic.

Now from a drivers perspective. I hate when bikers ride side by side. Or bikers that feel they own the road and choose to ride right down the center of a single lane road. Or the dumbasses that ride INTO the direction of traffic.

just my 2 cents
    2001 Audi ur-allroad, Frankenturbo'd, 6-Speed Convert: BUILD THREAD

"Forget Tibet, free the left lane."

Veteran Member Three Rings Aok303's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Bicycle bicycle i wont ride my bicycle

the cops in the canyons say bikes have to be 3 feet from the line, can not double up so has lakewood cops
    they are not allowed to ride in the middle of a lane or left part(unless turning) 3 feet is the size of a bike lane if you notice
    and yes there is a spot on the ticket up in the canyons for illegal use of lane for bicyclist unsure about down here in the city

Senior Member Three Rings monoseanism's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    BMW NineT

I say kill 'em all and let god sort 'em out!

oh wait, no. i don't say that, never mind.
    2013 S7 // APR stage one - flagged TD-FUN! //
    Ask me about microwaving cats for fun, and profit

Veteran Member Four Rings boostedAvant's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    A Meat Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by monoseanism View Post
    I say kill 'em all and let god sort 'em out!

oh wait, no. i don't say that, never mind.
    LOL

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I think this sums it up.

Account Terminated Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Amarao View Post

I think this sums it up.
    That's just ridiculous and unsafe. And it's also why most bikers get no respect from cars. It's the group of idiots, like this, that make me hate 99% of bikers.

From my perspective of being on a bike, I stay out of the way as much as possible. A car can cause a lot of damage and no matter how safe or within the law you are, there are plenty of drivers who don't pay attention and can easily hit you.

What I cannot stand up here is the fact there is a paved path that runs along the highway, yet bikers still feel the need to ride on the road. Single file, it still annoys me, but I manage; but side by side obstructing the road, that just pisses me off.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Greedo View Post
    That's just ridiculous and unsafe. And it's also why most bikers get no respect from cars. It's the group of idiots, like this, that make me hate 99% of bikers.

From my perspective of being on a bike, I stay out of the way as much as possible. A car can cause a lot of damage and no matter how safe or within the law you are, there are plenty of drivers who don't pay attention and can easily hit you.

What I cannot stand up here is the fact there is a paved path that runs along the highway, yet bikers still feel the need to ride on the road. Single file, it still annoys me, but I manage; but side by side obstructing the road, that just pisses me off.
    Yeah, that bike lane was added/widened recently too. I really don't like bikes on the street at all, as you said it's very dangerous and idiots like above make it far worse. Strangely I have seen joggers out in the street near my house, not in the bike lane, but in the street.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    BMW NineT

Quote Originally Posted by Amarao View Post

I think this sums it up.
    Fucking assholes.

Account Terminated Four Rings
    AZ Member #

When I used to bike through downtown to go to work, I avoided the busy streets as much as possible. I would take 16th into town as it was not used much and it had a bike lane. Then when I would drive in, I would see idiots on 18th which had no bike lane. Cut over two blocks and take the street designed for biking; it's safer for everyone.

I just don't understand the thought process of some people. Like the idiots on their bikes who will hold a car at a light so they don't have to put their foot down.

Veteran Member Three Rings Tweakophyte's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I was heading on 36 towards Lyons during a bike race on Sat. The speed limit is 60mph, two-lane road. Many times along a very long stretch a biker would swing out into the road, without looking to pass someone. How do you handle the 3 ft rule if they get to pull those moves? It's incredibly frustrating because if they make mistake, I could hit them.

It also frustrates me when there is a bike lane and they choose to ride on the line. If cars were allowed to ride on the line, there'd be head-ons. Somehow, bikers think riding on the line is okay. I'd love to ride along in a car when some of these militant bikers are driving their car, and throw a few scenarios their way. My gut says there'd be some hypocrisy.
    MY12 Ibis, Titanium, 6MT, Sport Diff, Leather, Prestige : 35% tint, AK, SC Badges... CPO (kind of a mod)

Veteran Member Four Rings papadelogan's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1999 F250 7.3 Powerstroke

I think a BASIC Physics class is in order for most cyclists. Say you're a big person... 300lbs+. And you're on heavy bike... call it 40lbs. So let's go with 350lbs. Now, your "average" Honda Civic is about 3,000lbs and made of steel/aluminum. My own self-preservation instincts has me avoiding ANY car as much as possible. I ride my roadbike either on the shoulder, or as close as possible, giving cars as much room as possible. When I do that, they can pass with minimal fuss. When I find a road with basically no shoulder, I don't ride them on my bike. There are options, and while the law my be in my favor, being an arrogant shit about it may end me up in a wheelchair. No thanks.

I think for the picture above of the cyclists hogging the road, that they be warned once about the danger they are creating for everyone. After that, a mobile water truck should come by and blast them off the road. No tickets, no more "talking to" by the police or a class on safe cycling...just blast 'em. If you have the mindset to be that much of an a$$ to others, well... right back atcha. I grew up when helmets were only used on the track and people were expected to take responsibility for their actions, and especially their stupidity.

Sharing the road is good, but it has to go both ways. If you're too damn scared to be out on a bike in traffic, then DON'T GO.
    2013 Phantom Black A5 Premium Plus Cabriolet (2.0T quattro) mods4cars module & VAG-COM tweaks - mesh grill, gunmetal 18's, & maybe an HFC & tune...

2007 Ibis White B7 A4 Ti Avant 6MT quattro JHM Stage 2, HFC, Milltek CatBack, GFB DV+ "the YETI" sold

2005.5 Black B7 A4 6MT quattro sold

AZ Member #

Colorado "Share The Road" Bicycle License Plate Irony

Quote Originally Posted by papadelogan View Post
    A mobile water truck should come by and blast them off the road. No tickets, no more "talking to" by the police or a class on safe cycling...just blast 'em.
    This made me lol.

Gone But Not Forgotten: 2013 S4 3.0 ---- 2008 A5 3.2 ---- 2005.5 A4 2.0T ---- 1993 90S 2.8

Senior Member Three Rings Saskwatch's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    05 RL, 01 Avant

Rip, "SID" stg2 b5 1.8t

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    BMW NineT

Quote Originally Posted by Saskwatch View Post
    Oh good god, this just made my day.

Veteran Member Four Rings auditd0rk's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I used to bike quite often and was a CAT3 racer for a while. I trained mostly by myself and did a fairly good job in abiding by the rules of the road -- I didn't blow through red lights and rode as far right as practical. Unfortunately, for as many of us who rode safely, we seemed to be outnumbered by those rode wherever and however they wanted. Because of that, I often avoided group rides because most of the guys would take over the road as if we were part of the TdF peloton. The law says cyclists can ride two abreast, but nothing more.

On the flip side, I encountered my fair share of asshole drivers. I've been yelled at, had items thrown at me, and even swerved at. Of course, when I caught up with them at a light or stop sign, they didn't seem to want to yell or throw loose change at me. I guess folks are most brave when the car is moving. My favorite was when someone would accelerate to pass you, only to slam on the brakes directly in front of you to make a right turn. Anyhoo.

Douchebaggery goes both ways. Drivers and cyclists need to make themselves aware of the rules of the road -- most, in my opinion, are ignorant.
    2012 A4 Quattro, Monsoon Grey | CTS K04, HFC | APR K04 v3 Tune | AWE Exhaust | Eurocode FMIC, Alu Kreuz, Sway Bars | Bilstein PSS10 | SPC UCAs | Apikol Rear Diff Mount | 034 Transmission Mount Insert, End-links | StopTech ST-60 BBK | S4 rear brakes | CR-15 brace

Senior Member Three Rings Saskwatch's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    05 RL, 01 Avant

when cyclists act like pedestrians, that is when my fist full of fuck you's come out.
    Rip, "SID" stg2 b5 1.8t

Veteran Member Three Rings SlickMachine's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Friggin 2015 Honda Odyssey

Re: Colorado "Share The Road" Bicycle License Plate Irony

Veteran Member Four Rings papadelogan's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1999 F250 7.3 Powerstroke

Quote Originally Posted by SlickMachine View Post
    I only watched the first 20 seconds or so, but the driver of that truck should have to watch as the cyclists push his truck over the edge. They were on the far right edge of the road and spaced out pretty good, not hogging the lane ... basically, not in anyone's way one bit. I have an F250 diesel myself and that shit is just juvenile.
    2013 Phantom Black A5 Premium Plus Cabriolet (2.0T quattro) mods4cars module & VAG-COM tweaks - mesh grill, gunmetal 18's, & maybe an HFC & tune...

2007 Ibis White B7 A4 Ti Avant 6MT quattro JHM Stage 2, HFC, Milltek CatBack, GFB DV+ "the YETI" sold

2005.5 Black B7 A4 6MT quattro sold

Veteran Member Three Rings SlickMachine's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Friggin 2015 Honda Odyssey

Re: Colorado "Share The Road" Bicycle License Plate Irony

Quote Originally Posted by papadelogan View Post
    I only watched the first 20 seconds or so, but the driver of that truck should have to watch as the cyclists push his truck over the edge. They were on the far right edge of the road and spaced out pretty good, not hogging the lane ... basically, not in anyone's way one bit. I have an F250 diesel myself and that shit is just juvenile.
    No shit it's juvenile Captain Obvious... it's also funny.

AZ Member #

Diesels rollin coal is a pet peeve of mine, and these bikers did nothing wrong, yet I still lol'd.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Bikers gonna bike!

Veteran Member Four Rings CorneliusRox's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003CBR600rr, 1997 12VCummins4X4

This thread is great. I couldnt agree with you more

Quote Originally Posted by monoseanism View Post
    Oh good god, this just made my day.
    ha ha ha me too!

[FONT=Arial Narrow]Corey - BSME

08 A4 6MT, Quattro, VAST Stg1, JOM C/O's, 034 RSB, BFI Snub - 24.75" FTG, 255/35-18 V12's

------------------> Buy my wheels/tires/spacers/bolts! <------------------

Veteran Member Four Rings CorneliusRox's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003CBR600rr, 1997 12VCummins4X4

Yeah, my truck can push a stupid amount of smoke, but I almost never would pull this.

Last time I did anything similar was when some kids (for no reason) threw something at my truck and called me a hillbilly. They cracked my windshield in the corner, and so I smoked them. My buddy wanted to get out and kick their asses. Stupid little punks.

[FONT=Arial Narrow]Corey - BSME

08 A4 6MT, Quattro, VAST Stg1, JOM C/O's, 034 RSB, BFI Snub - 24.75" FTG, 255/35-18 V12's

------------------> Buy my wheels/tires/spacers/bolts! <------------------