Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Veteran Member Four Rings SlickFix's Avatar
    AZ Member #

B6 A4 DIY: 034 Motorsport Rear Sway Bar and Adjustable End Links Install

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Does your B6 A4 have the stock non-sport suspension like mine does, and wallows like a drunken cow through corners? Or maybe your B6 has the stock sport suspension but you want to reduce the body roll in tight corners. Either way, the 034 Motorsport rear sway bar and adjustable end links are a worthy mod that will definitely improve handling. On the PITA meter, this job is a gentle 3 on the DIY difficulty charts. In fact, after an oil change and front brake pads, this would be a great third job for budding DIY'ers to explore.

Right, so let's see what came in the box from 034 Motorsport: Sway bar; rubber bushings and brushed chrome 034 brackets; adjustable end links with dust boots; a bag of lube for the rubber bushings; a couple of bags of hardware. The parts look very nice sitting on my deck with a lovely backdrop of the 12 feet of snow we've received up here in the great white north this year. Btw, I decided not to bother with the dust boots. I wanted to have them off to get better pics of the end links for you.

Now we take a look at the tools you'll need to complete this job:

Safety goggles
    LED headlamp
    3/8 ratchet with assorted extensions & a swivel.
    1/4 ratchet
    3/8 sockets: 18mm, 17mm, 16mm, 13mm, 6mm Allen socket.
    1/4 socket: 7mm.
    Box-end wrenchs: 19mm, 18mm, 16mm.
    Set of Ramps(not shown)
    Set of Jack stands(optional)

Let's get started! Drive your B6 onto the ramps so that the rear end is up in air. Make sure to set the parking brake. If you're paranoid about safety like I am, you can also place a jack stand on each side of the rear frame ready to catch the car if it somehow falls off the ramps. If you do this, do not raise the jack stands so that they are supporting the car. You want the wheels resting on the ramps so that the suspension is under load.

Grab your trouble light and turn your headlamp on and crawl under the rear of the car. There are four sets of bolts that have to be removed in order to remove the original sway bar. The bolts holding the muffler hangers are the first set to remove. Each muffler has a hanger like this one, with two 13mm bolts that hold the hanger to the frame. Grab your 3/8 ratchet and 13mm socket, along with the long extension and remove all 4 bolts(2 per hanger). Set the bolts aside, as we will use them later when we reattach the hangers.

Next, remove the 2nd set of 13 mm bolts which hold the brackets on the rubber bushings. 4 bolts total, 2 per bracket. In this pic, the 2nd bolt is hidden above the bracket, but you will easily see it while you're under the car. Also, notice the red Goodridge stainless steel brake line. Another nice upgrade to help brake pedal feel.

Moving onto the 3rd set of bolts, here we have a look at the right side end of the sway bar, where it attaches to the top of the stock end link. Yuck, look at all that rust, courtesy of all the salt and sand that the State of Minnesota sprays on the roads every winter.

Here's a closer look. This is the most difficult part of the removal, mostly because space is tight. Use the ratchet & extension to loosen the 16mm bolt, while holding the 18mm nut on the other side of the sway bar end with your 18mm box-end wrench. If you don't use the 18mm wrench to hold the nut, the 16mm bolt will just spin and spin and you'll waste a lot of time.

Finally, remove the last set of 13mm bolts. These hold the stock end links to the frame. 4 bolts total, 2 per end link.

You may now remove the old sway bar, being very careful to NOT damage this blue piece of plastic, located on the left side near the stock sway bar's tip. It's some kind of sensor(Rear Headlight Level Sensor?). But trust me, you don't want to break this piece! You may have to pull down on the mufflers in order to get the old sway bar out. Just go slow and be careful.

Ok, good job. You got the old sway bar out. Now, let's install the bushings on the new 034 sway bar. First, cut the bag of lube open, and apply some goop to the 034 bar where the rubber bushings will sit. On both sides, the goop goes on the outside of the ridge. I know, I know. I spilled some goop on the inside of the ridge. Trust me, it goes on the outside of the ridge, right where my finger is.

Now grab a bushing. See how it's split? That's so you can slip it over the sway bar where the goop is. Install both bushings now.

You're not going to actually slip the brackets over the bushings yet, as we don't want them falling off while we maneuver the 034 bar into position. You will install them later, but I wanted to show you the correct orientation of the bracket, with the lubrication nipple pointing down. Speaking of nipples, those nipples are going to prevent you from inserting the bottom bracket bolt into the bracket. Using your 1/4 ratchet and 7mm socket, remove the nipple on each bracket. Then, insert the bottom bolt into the bracket. Finally, re-install the nipple onto each bracket. Now the nipples are our friends, as they prevent the bottom bolts from falling out of the bracket. Remember kids, nipples are our friends!

Here's a nice comparison shot of the old stock end links, and the much beefier adjustable 034 end links. Since the 034 sway bar is so massive, they've been known to break stock sway bar links. I can see why. Look at how heavy duty those new end links are!
    Alright, orient the adjustable end links so that they are facing the correct position for installing onto the sway bar. Do this before installing the 034 bar. Use your 19mm box-end wrench to tighten the nuts once they have been positioned correctly.

Ok, go ahead and carefully install the new 034 bar into the car, being very careful to not damage that blue plastic sensor. NOTE: Make sure to install the bar with the 034 Motorsport sticker looking like this. Strangely enough, it is possible to install the bar upside down and attach it to the end links. Ask me how I know!

Now it's time to slip the brackets over the bushings, and insert the top bolts into the brackets. Finish by tightening the four bolts using your 6mm allen socket and ratchet. Be sure to push inward on the ratchet while tightening the bolts so that the allen socket doesn't slip out and strip the bolt head. Now, move onto installing the new end links into the ends of the 034 sway bar. In the pic above, you can see that the black plastic sleeve over the bolt is inserted into the outside hole on the tip of the sway bar.

There are two holes at the end of the sway bar. The outside hole, closest to the tip, is the one I've chosen to use. It is the softer of the two settings. If you want a more aggressive feel to your rear end, use the inside hole.

The next part is tricky: while holding the bolt head on the outside of the end link(left side in the pic), insert the new bolt through the outside hole of the bar and screw it into the threads inside the black plastic sleeve. It's hard to describe in words, but you'll see what I mean.

Now that you've got the bolts in the end links started(but not tightened yet), tighten the two 13mm bolts on the bottom of the end links. You can also use your 19mm box-end wrench to tighten down the adjusting nut if you didn't do that before.

Last, but certainly not least, go back and finish tightening the bolts that go into the top of the end links. Use the 17mm socket & ratchet on the inside bolt, while holding the outside bolt head using your 16mm box-end wrench. I don't have tightening specs for everything, but I used Charles.Waite's good old "guten tight" method of making sure it's tight, but not cranked on insanely tight. It would probably be a good idea to check back after a few days and make sure that none of the bolts have come loose. You could also apply some blue lock-tight to the bolts if so desired.

Congrats, you're done! Now go out and enjoy driving with your new 034 Motorsport sway bar!
    Last edited by SlickFix; 03-18-2013 at 07:34 AM.
    His: 2005.5 Imola Yellow B7 S4 4.2 Sedan
    19" B8 S5 Peelers

Hers: 2014 Lava Gray Metallic Q5 2.0T

Handed down to son: 2003 Amulet Red B6 A4 3.0 Avant
    18" B6 S4 Avus wheels|B8 S5 front brakes, B6 S4 rear brakes|Goodridge SS brake lines|Eichbach Springs|Koni FSD Struts|034 sway bar & end links|ECS snub mount|Ziza yellow fog lamp bulbs

Veteran Member Three Rings Lornnn's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Excellent!

When removing the old sway bar I found it a bit unnerving to push the exhaust around - I had two ripped flex pipes and plenty of other exhaust leaks on my B5 before - so even with the exhaust hangers removed I made double sure and removed one of the wheels and took it out through the side.

Obviously that won't work while on ramps, but if you're on jack stands or a lift it works great.

Established Member Two Rings Samulis's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Awesome Write up! That bar isn't too stiff with a stock suspension?

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Samulis View Post
    That bar isn't too stiff with a stock suspension?
    Nope, I've got mine on the lesser of the two settings, and all it does is make the car more responsive to steering input when going around a sharp corner. It has also reduced some body roll into the corners. I still have the stock non-sport suspension, so I've got to replace that to reap the full benefits of the bar. If Spring ever arrives this year I'll have lots of fun with the suspension upgrades.
    Last edited by SlickFix; 03-20-2013 at 12:05 PM.
    19" B8 S5 Peelers

18" B6 S4 Avus wheels|B8 S5 front brakes, B6 S4 rear brakes|Goodridge SS brake lines|Eichbach Springs|Koni FSD Struts|034 sway bar & end links|ECS snub mount|Ziza yellow fog lamp bulbs

Senior Member Three Rings screwball's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B6 A4 - Mk4 GTI

I'm stock too and it's definitely a nice improvement
    B6 A4 1.8t & Mk4 GTI 1.8t - PAG Parts 50 trim - AEB - RMR/70mm

Veteran Member Four Rings A4SoftWalker's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Avant 03A4 1.8TQMS, 05V70R, BMW535i

Nice write-up - four things...

1. Blue Loctite is very advised on any suspension bolts.
    2. Why not use the thick rubber wedge wheel chock or a tire block of some kind to prevent rolling?
    I use these and keep one in the trunk for tire changing the proper "by-the-book" way.
    3. Taking the rear exhaust hangers down helps. You can use a bungie-cord, or jack, or those jackstands to support the mid-pipes.
    4. Bolting the links to the sway bar prior to install works here bcs the lower "T" cross portion can be removed to slide it through the lower suspension arm? Is this what you did? OR are u able to angle it to fit through there somehow?

If that car was coming down the ramp the jackstands will do nothing more than turn over sideways and might gouge the underbody.
    Last edited by A4SoftWalker; 03-20-2013 at 12:26 PM.
    'SOFTWALKER MODS
    Do U have a Bentley/Dealer Manual & Tools to work on UR car properly?
    Hit-or-miss expecting manna to fall from AZ?
    Personal Motto>Walk Softly Carry a Big Stick. YEAH I'M BACK!
    BUILD? Click & be Amazed!
    Avant>Sedan! Click

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by A4SoftWalker View Post

1. Blue Loctite is very advised on any suspension bolts. Agreed, I did mention that at the very end.
    2. Why not use the thick rubber wedge wheel chock or a tire block of some kind to prevent rolling? Agreed, definitely a better idea than my jack stands.
    3. Taking the exhaust hanger down helps u can use a bungie-cord, or jack, or those jackstands to support the mid-pipes. You mean the muffler hangers or some others upstream from there? I did take the muffler hangers down and used jack stands to support them.
    4. Bolting the links to the sway bar prior to install works here bcs the lower "T" cross portion can be removed to slide it through the lower suspension arm. Is this what you did?
    Great idea! I never did claim to be the sharpest knife in the drawer. I guess I like doing things the hard way.
    Thanks for the feedback, I put my responses in the quote above.
    19" B8 S5 Peelers

Veteran Member Four Rings Charles.waite's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Nice work Slick. You notice any increase in noise or vibration with your solid end-links? I thought I did at first, but I think it was because I was "trying" to hear a difference. In any event, the combo is quite the upgrade from the stock sways! Nice writeup too. My "review" a while back was much less thorough.
    -CP
    2008 Brilliant Black Unicorn (2.0t S-Line Ti 6MT Avant)
    2012 Q5 2.0t - Stock Mommy Missile with new timing chains
    Former USP CLUB MEMBER #136
    2004 A4 1.8TQ 6MT USP - APR Stage 1+ - FSI Coils - BKR7EIX-11 - B6S4 Front + B7A4 Rear Brakes - 034 Street Trans Mount
    SOLD -- 2006 A4 2.0TQ Avant Tiptronic

AZ Member #

Thanks, Charles. Nope, no noise or vibration. Nice & smooth.

Still can't believe I actually installed the bar upside down the first time. What an ultra-maroon!
    19" B8 S5 Peelers

Established Member Two Rings willisan's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    02 A4 Quattro

Awesome write-up man! I'll definitely be using soon. Anyone have experience upgrading the sway bar with the sport version? I'm looking at swapping in an S4 bar and wondered if I'd see a large difference. She holds pretty decent around the corners but this and coillovers should make for more fun.
    APR Snub Mount | APR Stage 2 | JHM Short Shifter | 034 Motorsports HFC | Flowmaster Exhaust | New Climate Control buttons

My name is Richie Cunningham and this is my wife Oprah.

Kris Willis Photography ===> FB

AZ Member #

I used your write-up last weekend, worked great! By far the hardest part was getting the old bar out and the new bar in place. I kept getting it wedged places. anyway, thanks again!

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by willisan View Post
    Awesome write-up man! I'll definitely be using soon. Anyone have experience upgrading the sway bar with the sport version? I'm looking at swapping in an S4 bar and wondered if I'd see a large difference. She holds pretty decent around the corners but this and coillovers should make for more fun.
    I put in an S4 sway bar and definitely noticed a difference.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003 Audi A4 1.8T quattro (slow), 2007 VW GTI (not as slow), and 2008 Honda CBR1000RR (fast)

Since this thread got bumped, I guess I'll add some info from the Bentley.
    Here are the torque specs:

The removal order isn't a big deal, but the Bentley does list it as 1. exhaust hangers, 2. bolts 6 in the attached image, 3. bolt 7 in the image, and 4. bolts 3 in the image.
    And for install, 1. bolts 3 in the image hand tight, 2. bolt 7 in the image, 3. bolts 6 in the image, 4. with the car on its wheels, bounce it several times, 5. tighten bolts 3, and 6. exhaust hangers.

Many have successfully installed a rsb not following these procedures, but I just wanted to put this out there in case anyone wanted to do it by the book.

Senior Member Three Rings G.AUDI's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    MK6 GTI

To those who bought the sway bars, did you also get the optional dust boots? Would it even be necessary for a dry location like So Cal??

AZ Member #

^^ I got the dust boots, but then decided not to install them. I don't think you'd need them at all in So Cal.
    19" B8 S5 Peelers

Veteran Member Four Rings MikTip's Avatar
    AZ Member #

What did you use the goggles fer?

Nice write up!
    2015 S3 * United MotorSports Tuned * Eurocode Anti-sway bars * Mid-muffler delete * 3.5" Exhaust tips * 19x8.5 Konigs

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    From a couple to a few...

I did this a couple weeks ago with the end links and the dust boots. I figured, for $20 why not. Install was a little interesting, but fairly straight forward. Luckily, my Milltek exhaust is modular so I just took the rear mufflers off to get all the clearance I needed, and let me tell you, the job was significantly easier than when I installed my RS4 rear sway back when I still had my stock exhaust.

Other than that, I love the feel of the rear sway, definitely feels more planted and I have a lot more confidence just holding the pedal down through long, sweeping turns and off ramps.

Now it looks like the RS4 bar will either be sold or go into the cabrio, but that's for another day.

'02 A4 1.8TQ Tip Avant
    Pioneer AVH-4201NEX
    '03 A4 1.8TQMS
    APR TIP/TB Hose, 034 RSB/End Links/HFC/Snub Mount/Rear Diff Inserts, Milltek Exhaust, Forge 007P DV, Valeo HD w/ SMFW, Bilstein/H&R, B6S4 F+R Brakes, Hawk HPS, TT386, Revo Stage II, STE PPD
    S4 Side Blades, Aero Wipers, RS4 Pedals, OEM HID, DIY Plasti-Dip Grill, Pioneer AVH-4201NEX
    '04 Suzuki SV650

Veteran Member Four Rings freeloader700's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '03 A4 1.8TQM, 89 Mustang 2.3L

I just seen the new possible GB on these...you think I can get away with just the sway and not the upgraded links? nice review btw
    2003 A4 1.8TQM // Motoza K04 Hybrid // Franken F21// 550cc // TR18T // Test Pipe // FSI Coils // Forge Splitter // 034 RSB & End Links // V710 Gunmetal 19x8.5

→→FrankenTurbo F21 BUILD←←

Veteran Member Four Rings a4darkness's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Damn, that much better than the RS4 sway? Kinda shocked... and think this might have to be moved up on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by NyteEscape View Post
    I did this a couple weeks ago... Now it looks like the RS4 bar will either be sold or go into the cabrio, but that's for another day.

Thomas
    | Chronicles | Threads | IG
    // A U B A

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Some extra notes for cabriolets...

I just did this on a cabriolet today and thought I would add to the DIY with some things that I ran into.

You have to take down the diagonal braces that cross the exhaust, otherwise you won't get enough room over the exhaust to maneuver the old bar out or the new bar in. You need an M10 triple square to do this. (Side note, Sears, Autozone, and Napa Auto Parts didn't have one. Pepboys did though, at least in Northern CA.)

You don't actually have to take down the whole diagonal brace, taking out the rear two M10s from each brace is sufficient.

Getting the bar back in is a pain. If you do this on a cab I think you really need a second person to hold down the exhaust. What happened to me was I ended up with the new bar in, but without the ends above the lower control arms, and initially could only get 1 side above the control arm at a time. I got the drivers side positioned above the control arm, then had my wife come out and push down the passenger exhaust from the tail pipe so that I could pull the new bar back behind the square block that the diagonal brace attaches to. I then turned the bar, and pushed it back in over the passenger side lower control arm. I think this step is probably trivial in a non-cab, but those blocks below the spare in a cab make it pretty tricky if you are solo.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by peb View Post
    Some extra notes for cabriolets...

I just did this on a cabriolet today and thought I would add to the DIY with some things that I ran into.

You have to take down the diagonal braces that cross the exhaust, otherwise you won't get enough room over the exhaust to maneuver the old bar out or the new bar in. You need an M10 triple square to do this. (Side note, Sears, Autozone, and Napa Auto Parts didn't have one. Pepboys did though, at least in Northern CA.)

You don't actually have to take down the whole diagonal brace, taking out the rear two M10s from each brace is sufficient.

Getting the bar back in is a pain. If you do this on a cab I think you really need a second person to hold down the exhaust. What happened to me was I ended up with the new bar in, but without the ends above the lower control arms, and initially could only get 1 side above the control arm at a time. I got the drivers side positioned above the control arm, then had my wife come out and push down the passenger exhaust from the tail pipe so that I could pull the new bar back behind the square block that the diagonal brace attaches to. I then turned the bar, and pushed it back in over the passenger side lower control arm. I think this step is probably trivial in a non-cab, but those blocks below the spare in a cab make it pretty tricky if you are solo.
    The pushing-down-of-the-exhaust is the same for sedans/avants as well if you're on a stock exhaust. I had to do that when I had my stock exhaust on, but luckily my Milltek is modular so I just popped the mufflers off for the install. As for the brace, that's good to know that I only need to take the back two bolts off, thanks for the heads up. I was dreading taking the entire thing off, which would require me taking some of the covers off further up front that the brace is behind.

Oh and a4darkness, it was definitely a difference I was not expecting upgrading from the RS4 bar. If you do if, you won't regret it. I do have my stiffness set at the highest, but still love it.
    Looks like I might attempt installing my old RS4 sway in the cabrio this weekend if the weather permits.

'02 A4 1.8TQ Tip Avant
    Pioneer AVH-4201NEX
    '03 A4 1.8TQMS
    APR TIP/TB Hose, 034 RSB/End Links/HFC/Snub Mount/Rear Diff Inserts, Milltek Exhaust, Forge 007P DV, Valeo HD w/ SMFW, Bilstein/H&R, B6S4 F+R Brakes, Hawk HPS, TT386, Revo Stage II, STE PPD
    S4 Side Blades, Aero Wipers, RS4 Pedals, OEM HID, DIY Plasti-Dip Grill, Pioneer AVH-4201NEX
    '04 Suzuki SV650

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 Mitsubishi Evolution

How much stiffer does it feel compared to the stock sports package?

Veteran Member Four Rings customa4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    02 A4 1.8T CVT, 02 A4 1.8TQ 5spd, 92 Geo Prizm

Night and day difference.....
    K&N-Milltek HFC-Magnaflow Catback-APR snub mount-ER Sport FMIC-Forge TIP-Forge DV-Podi-034 Motor Mounts-034 Rear Sway/End Links-STaSIS Street Sport Coils-Bentley Manual

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 Mitsubishi Evolution

Quote Originally Posted by customa4 View Post
    Night and day difference.....
    Is it crazy stiff or just "sportier"? I dont want it to feel as stiff as my stock EVO, just want a lil stiffer then the sport package.

AZ Member #

There's nothing overly "stiff" about it, IMO. It's just more controlled and not loose. Of course, I came from the non-sport suspension, so for me it was truly a phenomenal difference. In a very good way.
    19" B8 S5 Peelers

Veteran Member Three Rings VeryTG's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    02 1.8T 5spd, 05 1.8T USP Avant 6spd

Nice write up slick. The installation instruction that is on the 034 website uses this DIY. Really dumb question but is the ramp really necessary to do this?
    Unicorn Society Member #10

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003 Audi A4 1.8T quattro (slow), 2007 VW GTI (not as slow), and 2008 Honda CBR1000RR (fast)

Quote Originally Posted by VeryTG View Post
    Nice write up slick. The installation instruction that is on the 034 website uses this DIY. Really dumb question but is the ramp really necessary to do this?
    It can be done without ramps, but the extra clearance from using ramps makes it so much easier. You just aren't so cramped.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

if you're car is lowered, i have no idea how you'd even come close to doing this without ramps. maybe driving up a curb or something, but there's certainly no way I could've done it without ramps.

'02 A4 1.8TQ Tip Avant
    Pioneer AVH-4201NEX
    '03 A4 1.8TQMS
    '04 Suzuki SV650

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I am probably going to install mine tomorrow...about how long of a job is it?

Sent from my finger tips using Tapatalk
    2003 A4 1.8TQM // Motoza K04 Hybrid // Franken F21// 550cc // TR18T // Test Pipe // FSI Coils // Forge Splitter // 034 RSB & End Links // V710 Gunmetal 19x8.5

AZ Member #

Probably 2 hrs if you're handy. More like 4 hrs if you're slow, like me.
    19" B8 S5 Peelers

Established Member Two Rings Hamburger's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1980 Honda cm400t cafe racer

Well done my man.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by freeloader700 View Post
    I am probably going to install mine tomorrow...about how long of a job is it?

On stock exhaust it took about 1:30 hrs. It took me and one other person 40 mins on aftermarket exhaust.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Thanks guys. That's not bad. Very, 1:30 with just you or an extra set of hands in stock exhaust?

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by freeloader700 View Post
    Thanks guys. That's not bad. Very, 1:30 with just you or an extra set of hands in stock exhaust?
    With an extra set of hands. I definitely need to upgrade my stock exhaust. It was so much easier on a modular exhaust. I test drove it after installing the rsb and even on the soft setting its a completely different car. I am pleased and both the rsb and endlink is worth every penny.

Stage 3 Forum Advertiser Four Rings 034Motorsport's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by VeryTG View Post
    On stock exhaust it took about 1:30 hrs. It took me and one other person 40 mins on aftermarket exhaust.
    You waste no time getting new parts on!

Glad you're enjoying them.
    034Motorsport - Engineering and Manufacturing Performance Hardware & Software Upgrades for Audi Enthusiasts Since 2005.

YouTube // Instagram // Facebook

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    03' allroad

OUTSTANDING!

Just installed this on my stock non-sport suspension and the car is completely transformed. I drive a lot (i.e. 20k this summer) and I have a broken spine so this makes a world of difference for me. Highly recommended!

Just a quick note, it appears as though 034 has made some changes to the aluminum brackets, there is now plenty of room to get the bolts in without removing the nipples as the OP states.

Pulling the old bar and finagling the 034 bar in place was not that difficult with the stock exhaust in place, wish the finish on the new bar was bit more durable as I scratched it rather easily. Also I found it unnecessary to remove the exhaust hangers until I had the end-links and bar brackets free and was ready to pull the stock bar. This way I didn't have to worry about it getting in my way.

A side by side comparison of the non-sport and 034 bars (havent seen this elsewhere)

Stage 3 Forum Advertiser Four Rings 034Motorsport's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Flipflopmonkey View Post
    OUTSTANDING!

Just installed this on my stock non-sport suspension and the car is completely transformed. I drive a lot (i.e. 20k this summer) and I have a broken spine so this makes a world of difference for me. Highly recommended!

Just a quick note, it appears as though 034 has made some changes to the aluminum brackets, there is now plenty of room to get the bolts in without removing the nipples as the OP states.

Pulling the old bar and finagling the 034 bar in place was not that difficult with the stock exhaust in place, wish the finish on the new bar was bit more durable as I scratched it rather easily. Also I found it unnecessary to remove the exhaust hangers until I had the end-links and bar brackets free and was ready to pull the stock bar. This way I didn't have to worry about it getting in my way.

A side by side comparison of the non-sport and 034 bars (havent seen this elsewhere)
    Thanks for the awesome review! Glad to hear you're enjoying the sway bar.
    034Motorsport - Engineering and Manufacturing Performance Hardware & Software Upgrades for Audi Enthusiasts Since 2005.

YouTube // Instagram // Facebook

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    03' allroad

Quote Originally Posted by 034Motorsport View Post
    Thanks for the awesome review! Glad to hear you're enjoying the sway bar.
    Most definitely, this is the second purchase I've made with you guys and despite a little wait on the silicon PCV breather kit (understandable) I've been very pleased.

To add to my previous post for anyone who cares, I really didn't anticipate the difference this would make for my back. Chronic lower back strain (driving for extended periods) is especially aggravating as far as pain is concerned and after putting a few hundred miles on it I can actually feel a difference at the end of the day.

Veteran Member Three Rings dewey527's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '02 a4 1.8tq, '05 tahoe

I was pushing it hard around a few on-ramps today and I still can't believe how planted the car feels!!! A Charger R/T that was on my ass going into turn was nowhere to be found exiting it. Then he flew by me afterwards thinking he was cool. I will take the handling over the speed any day because I know I don't got the speed. The 034 RSB and the B6 S4 calipers were a pretty good pair of improvements.
    mods - not enough for me and way too many in my wife's opinion
    K04, Revo "Stg2", PODI Boost Gauge, TT225, fmic, Forge DV, Tantrumwerks 300cell HFC, Neuspeed Exhaust, Stasis Touring Suspension, Spec Stg2 & LWFW, 034 RSB, Neuspeed SS, Neuspeed Snub, Neuspeed TIP, B6S4 front brakes, Tyrolsport Kit, 6K HID, Yellow Fogs, 20%, CC

Veteran Member Four Rings customa4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    02 A4 1.8T CVT, 02 A4 1.8TQ 5spd, 92 Geo Prizm

^^ Couldn't agree more. I find it amusing when people think their car is great until you come up on a corner and all you see is either their brake lights or they're no where near you by the end of the corner. I like speed but I really enjoy the handling improvement.
    Last edited by customa4; 10-09-2013 at 11:10 PM.
    K&N-Milltek HFC-Magnaflow Catback-APR snub mount-ER Sport FMIC-Forge TIP-Forge DV-Podi-034 Motor Mounts-034 Rear Sway/End Links-STaSIS Street Sport Coils-Bentley Manual

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast