Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Four Rings 4A Play's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Bent valves at 209k, rebuild or swap parts to a new b5? Weighing options.......

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Short story. I have a 98 a4 sedan, v6, 5spd, Quattro, sport/ cold/ leather. Two month old 12 piece control arm kit, brand new coil overs, coil packs, magna flow exhaust, jhm linkage and bushings, wheel bearings all around, and then the timing belt slipped, 9,000 miles before due. The motor and clutch have 209,000 miles on them.

So I can have my heads replaced and a new timing belt done for $1000. Or, I found a 2000 b5 avant with all the same trim as my 98 with 120,000 miles. Perfect condition. Same packages as my 98. For $3500. Do I buy the avant and use my sedan for parts? And potentially get another 100k out of the avant or repair the sedan for $1000 and keep chasing problems?

In a dilemma here guys. On the fence. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
    Self made, NOT Mommy paid.
    2001 1.8 qtm, GT2781R, 680cc Siemens, 3" turbo back, Autopower, Mafless Stage 3 Unitronics, Tial 38mm external wastegate, STS, Corbeau seats

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    MKIII Jetta,Integra GSR built B18C1T, Mazda RX8

That is a good deal on the advant, but keep in mind with any used car your going to be chasing gremlins with it as well. There are always things that you just wont find before your purchase and things the seller will not tell you. I say if you have the money do it, its always awesome to have a doner car to use parts out of to make one sweet ride. The one thing I do before I purchase any used car and I would recommend to you as well, is do a compression check. Usually a good indicator of the health of the engine.

Veteran Member Three Rings un1ko's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I think it all depends on the work you want to do. I'd consider swapping and putting a 2.7T engine, instead of rebuilding your engine. You can even rebuild your cylinder heads and put them on the 2.7T engine. Right there you'll have a nice build. But that's just me.
    New Build - S4 with A4 Heart| 01 Audi 2.0T S4 6MT | CT43-6465 TBB | 82.5 Supertech Pistons | IE Tuscon Rods | Supertech single Groove Valves & Springs | 3660 Cat Cams | SEM Intake Manifold | 75mm RS4 TB | | 1000cc FIC | Eurodyne Maestro 7 | 450 Walbro Fuel Pump | Clutchmaster FX400 8-Pad Clutch | 44mm Tial Wastegate | 50mm Tial BOV | Treadstone TR1035 FMIC |

Veteran Member Four Rings nynoah's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    01.5 A4 avant Past cars: 95 S6, 85 Golf II VR6, 2 sciroccos, 92 Corrado VR6, 86 Euro BMW 535 Alpina

avant is always better than a sedan

Veteran Member Four Rings walky_talky20's Avatar
    AZ Member #

$1000 is not bad at all to fix your engine. But the mileage is kinda high and it might be needing a clutch soon. $3500 is also a nice price for an Avant. I can see why you're on the fence. If it were me, I'd just get throw some valves in the head(s) and keep on trucking. You've installed a lot of new parts recently, so it's probably worth it to repair.
    ^Don't listen to this guy, he's not even a mechanic.
    2001 Laser Red A4 1.8TQM, 5-Speed Swapped, 4.11 Final Drive, APR 93, R8 coil packs, Labree HFC & DP, 2.5" Exhaust, ST Coilovers, 034 RSB, A8 Brakes Front & Rear, 18" RS4 Reps
    2006 Passion Red Volvo V50 T5 AWD 6MT
    "You need to know what you are doing...Its like a rainbow jungle in there." - Redline380

Veteran Member Four Rings howardfootball's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '57 Ford Thunderbird

Bent valves at 209k, rebuild or swap parts to a new b5? Weighing options.......

I'd just buy another engine and swap it into your car. 1.8T or 2.7T would be a nice upgrade.

Veteran Member Four Rings Avant Nate's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2001 Audi Allroad 6MT,1999 Yukon Denali, 1987 4Runner

Do both. Swap the parts like exhaust and coilovers, and then fix and sell the sedan. A lot of stuff wont carry over to and tuning options are limited on the 2000.
    99.5 1.8T QMS: GT2860RS .63 T3, PSI T3 Mani, Turbosmart 38mm EWG, Unitronic 415, Forge 007,Treadstone TR18 FMIC, Walbro e85 450, FSI coil conversion, 3" DIY Magnaflow/Dynomax VT exhaust
    Depo ecodes, DDM slim 6000k, VDO boost gauge, PLX AFR, Greddy profec B EBC,
    H&R sport springs, 034 rear sway, 034 rear diff carrier, A8 fronts,18x8 OZ Superleggera
    Next up E85, efr 7163 or gtx3071r?
    01 allroad 2.7t 6mt, GIAC stage 1

Veteran Member Four Rings 4A Play's Avatar
    AZ Member #

See, I could fix and sell the sedan but how much could I really get for it with 209k?

I could pull all the brand new suspension and brakes and swap it to the avant. The control arms, hubs, coilovers, entire assemblies and strap it all on the avant. Then put all the avant parts on the sedan and unload it for $2,000 after $1,000 in heads and timing belt. So netting 1k off the avant so $2,500 for a 2000 avant with new 12 piece control arm kit, coilovers, 122,000, exhaust, wheel bearings, and shift linkage.

That makes sense to me.....

Then
    Self made, NOT Mommy paid.
    2001 1.8 qtm, GT2781R, 680cc Siemens, 3" turbo back, Autopower, Mafless Stage 3 Unitronics, Tial 38mm external wastegate, STS, Corbeau seats

Veteran Member Four Rings walky_talky20's Avatar
    AZ Member #

That's kind of a labor-intensive plan, but yeah.
    ^Don't listen to this guy, he's not even a mechanic.
    2001 Laser Red A4 1.8TQM, 5-Speed Swapped, 4.11 Final Drive, APR 93, R8 coil packs, Labree HFC & DP, 2.5" Exhaust, ST Coilovers, 034 RSB, A8 Brakes Front & Rear, 18" RS4 Reps
    2006 Passion Red Volvo V50 T5 AWD 6MT
    "You need to know what you are doing...Its like a rainbow jungle in there." - Redline380

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

i think i would stick with the car you have. get a decent used motor with half the miles you got on it. buy a clutch and run it. you have chased alot of the grimlins our of your sedan and there is alot to be said for knowing what you got into a car. my father drove a 2000 dodge neon until the unibody was so bad it sagged in the middle. he had no car payment for 7 years.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by 4A Play View Post
    See, I could fix and sell the sedan but how much could I really get for it with 209k?

I could pull all the brand new suspension and brakes and swap it to the avant. The control arms, hubs, coilovers, entire assemblies and strap it all on the avant. Then put all the avant parts on the sedan and unload it for $2,000 after $1,000 in heads and timing belt. So netting 1k off the avant so $2,500 for a 2000 avant with new 12 piece control arm kit, coilovers, 122,000, exhaust, wheel bearings, and shift linkage.

That makes sense to me.....

Then
    based off my experience, you will not come out on top on this project. there will be enough hidden costs to make this not near as profitable as you hope.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    MKIII Jetta,Integra GSR built B18C1T, Mazda RX8

Quote Originally Posted by contrldsub View Post
    based off my experience, you will not come out on top on this project. there will be enough hidden costs to make this not near as profitable as you hope.
    Contrldsub has a point, but you will have one very nice advant with low miles, you will also know they majority of the maintenance and parts that have been replaced. It might be a slightly higher cost in the long run but you might have better piece of mind knowing what all has been done. To me that is coming out on top!

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by walky_talky20 View Post
    $1000 is not bad at all to fix your engine. But the mileage is kinda high and it might be needing a clutch soon. $3500 is also a nice price for an Avant. I can see why you're on the fence. If it were me, I'd just get throw some valves in the head(s) and keep on trucking. You've installed a lot of new parts recently, so it's probably worth it to repair.
    This is precisely what I would do. I get the vibe he does not have the know how to perform the work though.

If I were you, since that car is just sitting, I would do as Walky said and at least attempt the repair. Replacing valves takes no time at all once the heads are off and it will be a good learning experience if you are inclined to learn. You may find upon pulling the heads that only a couple are bent. As I said in your previous post, only one of my 20 valves were bent so it's possible that it's not so bad.
    09 Audi A4 2.0t Quattro - Stock - Automatic
    98 Audi A4 1.8t Quattro - Stock - Automatic - AEB

Veteran Member Three Rings Koldham's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by 4A Play View Post
    i looked atg a few with 200k+ but they all sold before the test drive
    i paid 2k for the sedan i have now with 217,xxx and as i drove away with her some people showed up to buy it
    and the stupid thing aint even quattro!
    1997 A4 1.8QTM AEB Pearl DD
    Deer Strikes:0 HELLASTOCK...ish WTB: pearl white body panels.

1973 Ford Maverick Project Car(first car)
    200 I6 -> 302 V8, 3spd column shift, 8.8 with traklock. Bright Ass Orange.

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Koldham View Post
    i looked atg a few with 200k+ but they all sold before the test drive
    i paid 2k for the sedan i have now with 217,xxx and as i drove away with her some people showed up to buy it
    and the stupid thing aint even quattro!

Yeah man, one of the cars I looked at before I got mine didn't even run with 220k and sold for $1500. It was a 99 quattro 1.8t with a 5 speed.

I opted for the one I got because it only had 150k and I got it for $1200 in non-running condition.
    09 Audi A4 2.0t Quattro - Stock - Automatic
    98 Audi A4 1.8t Quattro - Stock - Automatic - AEB