Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Thread: Sloppy Shifter

Veteran Member Four Rings 65vetteC6's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    V8's

Sloppy Shifter

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    So I have been reading through a few threads regrading sloppy shifters. Mine has way to much side to side play. I was under the car today and it doesn't seem like its the linkage under the car though I do have JHM solid bushings that I was going to throw on the S4 sitting around. I also read about the 2 bolts that can cause problems with the shifter gates, is the only way to know by replacing the bolts?

My situation is I dont have any issues with getting into gear and there is no grinding. Heres a video of what I am talking about.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC5aIfHakKE

Any suggestions on what this would be more specifically? There is a short shifter in the car but Im not sure which (not JHM) but I dont think that is the issue.

Veteran Member Four Rings nynoah's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    01.5 A4 avant Past cars: 95 S6, 85 Golf II VR6, 2 sciroccos, 92 Corrado VR6, 86 Euro BMW 535 Alpina

I would go under the car and make sure all bolts are tight on the trany to shifter points.

Veteran Member Four Rings seanj130's Avatar
    AZ Member #

JHM is great.. Rebuilding with OEM stuff is way to expensive.
    Best regards,
    Sean.

Paying someone to install parts and bragging about it being fast, is like watching someone
    bang your wife and being proud to raise their kids.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    V8's

Quote Originally Posted by nynoah View Post
    I would go under the car and make sure all bolts are tight on the trany to shifter points.
    Yea I was under there, didnt see to much slop up by the u-joint it, all the play seemed to be at the shifter. The shifter and linkage have a secure connection too, I double checked that.

Quote Originally Posted by seanj130 View Post
    JHM is great.. Rebuilding with OEM stuff is way to expensive.
    Yea, just installed their short shifter on the S, how similar are b5 and b7 shifter assemblies, I have an extra laying around.

Veteran Member Four Rings GeoJoe's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2012 Audi S4, 2017 Audi Q7, 1973 Datsun 240z and a 2018 Tundra Looooooong bed

Gotta hate sloppy shifting. Too bad Eurocode doesn't have something for earlier models. Feels so tight.

Veteran Member Four Rings CELison's Avatar
    AZ Member #

spherical bearing in good shape?
    B5 S4- K24s, built bottom end, E85
    B8 S4- GIAC Stage 2
    150cc Chinese Scooter of Doom

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    V8's

Car has 200K on it so could probably use replacing. Would that cause that kind of side to side shifting in all gears though?

Veteran Member Four Rings CELison's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by 65vetteC6 View Post
    Car has 200K on it so could probably use replacing. Would that cause that kind of side to side shifting in all gears though?
    my spherical bearing had a ridiculous amount of play, causing the exact same problem
    B5 S4- K24s, built bottom end, E85
    B8 S4- GIAC Stage 2
    150cc Chinese Scooter of Doom

Veteran Member Four Rings BaseDrifter's Avatar
    AZ Member #

You already know/have the solution. Install the JHM bushings.

If you are 96/97 as I am, you could replace the shifter rod with the u joint style so you can use JHM's bushings.
    | Update thread / Youtube Channel |

97 A4 1.8TQM: Stage 1 tune|TyrolSport SMIC|034 HFC|Borla catback|Carbonio/007 DV|Vogtland GT3|034 RSB|Apikol street rear diff bushings/ECS poly rear diff mount|034 SD motor/tranny/strut mounts|A8 brakes/SS lines|JHM trio|Meyle HD CA/TREs|

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    V8's

Quote Originally Posted by lm0812 View Post
    You already know/have the solution. Install the JHM bushings.

If you are 96/97 as I am, you could replace the shifter rod with the u joint style so you can use JHM's bushings.
    I checked the Ujoints, does not seem like they are the culprit for the amount of play there is in the shifter. I will be messing around with it more tomorrow.

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by 65vetteC6 View Post
    Any suggestions on what this would be more specifically? There is a short shifter in the car but Im not sure which (not JHM) but I dont think that is the issue.
    SS will help, but you probably have a worn out U-joint. Here's what I did, way back when the JHM solution didn't exist. It's held up perfectly for 10 years. A lot cheaper too:

http://forums.audiworld.com/showthread.php?p=1522171

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    V8's

I will have to try that out. I removed the old shifter, it was pretty worn out and installed a B7 one that I had lying around. Tightened things up a lot but there is still some slight play that I will have to source from under the car next weekend.