Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 53
  1. #1
    Veteran Member Four Rings
    Join Date
    Oct 14 2012
    AZ Member #
    102231
    My Garage
    Empty...for now...
    Location
    Malvern, PA

    Streaming Audio via Bluetooth on B8 S4

    Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I was searching today for solutions for streaming audio via bluetooth in my 2012 S4. I came across a few DIY methods on other discussion forums (there was a guy last year in the UK doing mods to the OEM iPhone AMI cable, but I couldn't see the photos that went along with the DIY guide). Then I found this website:

    http://www.audia2dp.com/index.html

    Has anyone here purchased this product and used it successfully? It doesn't fully interface with MMI in that it will not display track data or allow control of the source via MMI, but it's a decent solution for a way to stream audio (mp3's, pandora, etc) from your phone without having to take your phone out of your pocket. Just wondering about reliability and whether you felt it was worth the $150 price of admission.

    Thanks in advance for any reviews!
    2015 Daytona Gray S4
    6MT / Sport Diff / B&O / Tech Pkg / Carbon Atlas / Black Alcantara
    Mods: S5 Peelers, Xpel Ultimate, 3M Color Stable Tint 35%, Bilstein PSS10, Euro Code Alu Kreuz, Eurocode Sway Bars, Moog Endlinks, CR-15, Eurocode Meisterwerk ASTS, AWE Resonated Touring Exhaust, ECS Luft-Technik Intake, 034 Transmission Mount, HCX LED 3000k Fog Lights, Apikol Rear Diff Mount

  2. #2
    Site Moderator Four Rings Stubek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 13 2004
    AZ Member #
    401
    My Garage
    2007 Honda Element SC
    Location
    Silicon Valley, CA

    Kevin - Moderator, Audizine

    2011 A4 Avant Meteor Grey/Black, Titanium Package, Prem+ Nav, B&O. Euro LED Tail Lights, Tint, LED license plate lights, LED interior lights, custom sub, lots of VAG updates, Eurocode Alu Kruez, Hotchkiss F/R Swaybars

    Build thread: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...ead?highlight=

  3. #3
    Veteran Member Four Rings
    Join Date
    Oct 14 2012
    AZ Member #
    102231
    My Garage
    Empty...for now...
    Location
    Malvern, PA

    ^ Awesome, thank you. When I searched earlier via Google, all of the popular hits were from some other Audi forums and none of these AZ threads seemed to come up (unless I missed them). I will do some reading.....thanks again!
    2015 Daytona Gray S4
    6MT / Sport Diff / B&O / Tech Pkg / Carbon Atlas / Black Alcantara
    Mods: S5 Peelers, Xpel Ultimate, 3M Color Stable Tint 35%, Bilstein PSS10, Euro Code Alu Kreuz, Eurocode Sway Bars, Moog Endlinks, CR-15, Eurocode Meisterwerk ASTS, AWE Resonated Touring Exhaust, ECS Luft-Technik Intake, 034 Transmission Mount, HCX LED 3000k Fog Lights, Apikol Rear Diff Mount

  4. #4
    Established Member Two Rings Maltitol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 27 2012
    AZ Member #
    95939
    Location
    Rockville, MD

    I will save you the agony that I went through. Your answer lies here:
    http://a2dp4audi.netmagi.com/

  5. #5
    Active Member Two Rings reggiedavid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 25 2010
    AZ Member #
    64852
    My Garage
    2000 GTI VR6, 2011 S4
    Location
    queens ny

    Quote Originally Posted by Maltitol View Post
    I will save you the agony that I went through. Your answer lies here:
    http://a2dp4audi.netmagi.com/
    I have one for sale, PM me
    2000 gti vr6/matte black/oem hid's/tt fat fives/euro bumpers/eibach/koni fsd/
    2011 s4/sprint blue/6mt/ADS/alcantara/prestige/titanium/side assist/rear sunshades/milltek non res/h&r OE/ocarbon dash/FL flat bottom/p3/alu kreuz/miesterwerk sts/recaro proride/apr carbonio stage 1&2/power folding mirrors/MMI 3G+

  6. #6
    Veteran Member Four Rings
    Join Date
    Oct 14 2012
    AZ Member #
    102231
    My Garage
    Empty...for now...
    Location
    Malvern, PA

    Quote Originally Posted by Maltitol View Post
    I will save you the agony that I went through. Your answer lies here:
    http://a2dp4audi.netmagi.com/
    Thanks! If I'm not mistaken, that particular Bluetooth receiver does not automatically pair with an iPhone, correct? If that's the case, then what is the process for initiating streaming via Bluetooth? Will it pair automatically when I try to play something on the iPhone (e.g. Pandora), or do I need to go into Settings->General->Bluetooth in my iPhone to manually "force" communication between the phone and the Bluetooth receiver?

    EDIT: Currently my iPhone 4S pairs successfully with the MMI system for phone use via Bluetooth. When I add this new Bluetooth receiver for streaming audio, will the phone pair with both Bluetooth receivers simultaneously?

    Quote Originally Posted by reggiedavid View Post
    I have one for sale, PM me
    PM'd you!
    Last edited by SteveYem; 01-08-2013 at 08:35 PM.
    2015 Daytona Gray S4
    6MT / Sport Diff / B&O / Tech Pkg / Carbon Atlas / Black Alcantara
    Mods: S5 Peelers, Xpel Ultimate, 3M Color Stable Tint 35%, Bilstein PSS10, Euro Code Alu Kreuz, Eurocode Sway Bars, Moog Endlinks, CR-15, Eurocode Meisterwerk ASTS, AWE Resonated Touring Exhaust, ECS Luft-Technik Intake, 034 Transmission Mount, HCX LED 3000k Fog Lights, Apikol Rear Diff Mount

  7. #7
    Established Member Two Rings
    Join Date
    Feb 16 2011
    AZ Member #
    71050
    Location
    Baltimore, MD

    Is there an option that splits the cable, one part going to the ipod that will remain plugged in, while the other goes to a bluetooth adapter having some automatic switching ability going from playing the ipod to the bt stream when a bt device is connected or playing?

  8. #8
    Established Member Two Rings Rodney Hasty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 08 2012
    AZ Member #
    105486
    Location
    Asheville, NC

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveYem View Post
    Thanks! If I'm not mistaken, that particular Bluetooth receiver does not automatically pair with an iPhone, correct? If that's the case, then what is the process for initiating streaming via Bluetooth? Will it pair automatically when I try to play something on the iPhone (e.g. Pandora), or do I need to go into Settings->General->Bluetooth in my iPhone to manually "force" communication between the phone and the Bluetooth receiver?

    EDIT: Currently my iPhone 4S pairs successfully with the MMI system for phone use via Bluetooth. When I add this new Bluetooth receiver for streaming audio, will the phone pair with both Bluetooth receivers simultaneously?



    PM'd you!
    I would also like the answer to these questions- basically, if I buy the combo modified cable/receiver, and pair the receiver with my iPhone, will it automatically connect each time I get in the car like the MMI does with the phone? It doesn't seem like it would be worth it if I had to force my iphone to connect every time I got in the car- I just want to get in, have it automatically connect, and play what's on my iPhone without any further ado.

    Also, with the Bluetooth pairing, what is shown on the MMI screen? Does it mimic your iphone display? Are you able to use the MMI controls to play what's on the phone? If not, what does the screen show when connected and streaming?

    Thanks in advance :)
    2011 Audi S4 | Prestige | Phantom Black/ Black Nappa Leather | 6MT | Rear Sport Differential | B&O Premium | APR Stage II+ | Stage 2 Carbonio Intake | Rennline Pedals
    APR and Supercharged Badges | JHM Short Shifter | Clutchmasters FX400 | Alu Kruez Drivetrain Stabilizer | Michelin Pilot A/S Plus | Alu Optic Stone Guards | USS Swaybars and End Links

  9. #9
    Veteran Member Four Rings
    Join Date
    Oct 14 2012
    AZ Member #
    102231
    My Garage
    Empty...for now...
    Location
    Malvern, PA

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Hasty View Post
    I would also like the answer to these questions- basically, if I buy the combo modified cable/receiver, and pair the receiver with my iPhone, will it automatically connect each time I get in the car like the MMI does with the phone? It doesn't seem like it would be worth it if I had to force my iphone to connect every time I got in the car- I just want to get in, have it automatically connect, and play what's on my iPhone without any further ado.

    Also, with the Bluetooth pairing, what is shown on the MMI screen? Does it mimic your iphone display? Are you able to use the MMI controls to play what's on the phone? If not, what does the screen show when connected and streaming?

    Thanks in advance :)
    I ended up buying reggiedavid's adapter and should have it within the next couple of days, so I will give you a first-hand review.
    But what I've been told is that it will pair with iPhone automatically, and it shows up as "Aux. Input Device" (or some similar verbiage) in your list of available Media within MMI. My understanding is that it basically acts the same way as a standard 3.5mm auxiliary input cord, meaning that it does not show any of the info or controls from the iPhone. Everything must be controlled from the iPhone, and the MMI screen will say something like "Auxiliary Device Connected" when you are set to that channel on the MMI.
    2015 Daytona Gray S4
    6MT / Sport Diff / B&O / Tech Pkg / Carbon Atlas / Black Alcantara
    Mods: S5 Peelers, Xpel Ultimate, 3M Color Stable Tint 35%, Bilstein PSS10, Euro Code Alu Kreuz, Eurocode Sway Bars, Moog Endlinks, CR-15, Eurocode Meisterwerk ASTS, AWE Resonated Touring Exhaust, ECS Luft-Technik Intake, 034 Transmission Mount, HCX LED 3000k Fog Lights, Apikol Rear Diff Mount

  10. #10
    Established Member Two Rings lmwong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 21 2008
    AZ Member #
    32222
    Location
    Earth

    The audia2dp package is a Belkin BT receiver with a modded power/MMI cable. I bought one when it first came out and it works. The iphone will pair automatically with the phone function (Audi MMI) but not for audio (Belkin C02). Anytime you want to listen to music via bluetooth, you need to go into settings > BT > tap Belkin C02. Click AUX input and anything the iphone outputs will be heard through the car (including movies). It will stay connected as long as the MMI and phone are on and within range. I've made it a habit everytime I start the car while I wait for it to warm up.

    PROS: no wires so phone is within reach and can be placed anywhere, mutes music when call comes in
    CONS: sound quality is not as good as directly connecting but I've gotten used to it and it's not that bad (iphone sound quality is much better than android I've found), occasionally the signal drops out like any other BT device, no info on the MMI just a black screen that says 'AUX device connected'.

  11. #11
    Veteran Member Four Rings
    Join Date
    Oct 14 2012
    AZ Member #
    102231
    My Garage
    Empty...for now...
    Location
    Malvern, PA

    Quote Originally Posted by lmwong View Post
    The audia2dp package is a Belkin BT receiver with a modded power/MMI cable. I bought one when it first came out and it works. The iphone will pair automatically with the phone function (Audi MMI) but not for audio (Belkin C02). Anytime you want to listen to music via bluetooth, you need to go into settings > BT > tap Belkin C02. Click AUX input and anything the iphone outputs will be heard through the car (including movies). It will stay connected as long as the MMI and phone are on and within range. I've made it a habit everytime I start the car while I wait for it to warm up.

    PROS: no wires so phone is within reach and can be placed anywhere, mutes music when call comes in
    CONS: sound quality is not as good as directly connecting but I've gotten used to it and it's not that bad (iphone sound quality is much better than android I've found), occasionally the signal drops out like any other BT device, no info on the MMI just a black screen that says 'AUX device connected'.
    You are referring to this unit, correct? http://www.audia2dp.com/index.html
    Kind of crappy that they charge $150 for it and it doesn't automatically pair, as opposed to this one (http://a2dp4audi.netmagi.com/) which I am told pairs automatically with iPhone, while priced $65 lower.
    2015 Daytona Gray S4
    6MT / Sport Diff / B&O / Tech Pkg / Carbon Atlas / Black Alcantara
    Mods: S5 Peelers, Xpel Ultimate, 3M Color Stable Tint 35%, Bilstein PSS10, Euro Code Alu Kreuz, Eurocode Sway Bars, Moog Endlinks, CR-15, Eurocode Meisterwerk ASTS, AWE Resonated Touring Exhaust, ECS Luft-Technik Intake, 034 Transmission Mount, HCX LED 3000k Fog Lights, Apikol Rear Diff Mount

  12. #12
    Established Member Two Rings Rodney Hasty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 08 2012
    AZ Member #
    105486
    Location
    Asheville, NC

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveYem View Post
    I ended up buying reggiedavid's adapter and should have it within the next couple of days, so I will give you a first-hand review.
    But what I've been told is that it will pair with iPhone automatically, and it shows up as "Aux. Input Device" (or some similar verbiage) in your list of available Media within MMI. My understanding is that it basically acts the same way as a standard 3.5mm auxiliary input cord, meaning that it does not show any of the info or controls from the iPhone. Everything must be controlled from the iPhone, and the MMI screen will say something like "Auxiliary Device Connected" when you are set to that channel on the MMI.
    Excellent, thanks very much for the answer, that clears things up for me. And I would appreciate the update once you get it- and to be clear, this is the one you're getting, right? (http://a2dp4audi.netmagi.com/)
    2011 Audi S4 | Prestige | Phantom Black/ Black Nappa Leather | 6MT | Rear Sport Differential | B&O Premium | APR Stage II+ | Stage 2 Carbonio Intake | Rennline Pedals
    APR and Supercharged Badges | JHM Short Shifter | Clutchmasters FX400 | Alu Kruez Drivetrain Stabilizer | Michelin Pilot A/S Plus | Alu Optic Stone Guards | USS Swaybars and End Links

  13. #13
    Veteran Member Four Rings theswoleguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 07 2012
    AZ Member #
    105434
    Location
    Atlanta, GA

    i may have to try this device as the audi option is $250 and just to confirm this will work with any phone that supports bluetooth audio correct? I am the blacksheep with an android phone in a sea of Iphone users apparently.
    '01 Audi TTQ Roadster: QED motor, Pag 35R vband, spec twin, E85, Sold
    '03 GTI: Gutted, Parted & Transplanted
    '04 F250 6.0: 72mm turbo, 60 psi stupid fast for 8k lbs, Sold
    '15 Audi S4: Stock, S-Tronic, B&O, NAV, ADS w/ Sport Diff, Smart Key, glacier white w/ magma red, 19" Shamrocks lol

  14. #14
    Established Member Two Rings lmwong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 21 2008
    AZ Member #
    32222
    Location
    Earth

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveYem View Post
    You are referring to this unit, correct? http://www.audia2dp.com/index.html
    Kind of crappy that they charge $150 for it and it doesn't automatically pair, as opposed to this one (http://a2dp4audi.netmagi.com/) which I am told pairs automatically with iPhone, while priced $65 lower.
    in the FAQ of the cheaper option:

    Q: Does the 30-pin Bluetooth receiver automatically reconnect when I get in/out out of the car?
    A: A2DP Bluetooth audio receivers (headphones, speakers, etc.) are usually "passive" for connection. This means they are always available for connection when turned on with pre-paired devices, but will not actively pair unless a connect request is made from the audio player. Some phones or audio players may have an option to reconnect to a Bluetooth target automatically, and in this event auto-reconnection would be possible. If your phone or audio player does not have this option, you will need to reconnect manually. This is actually the desirable configuration as otherwise, every time you were close enough to a Bluetooth audio receiver you'd previously paired with, it would actively pair back, changing your current audio output.

  15. #15
    Veteran Member Four Rings
    Join Date
    Oct 14 2012
    AZ Member #
    102231
    My Garage
    Empty...for now...
    Location
    Malvern, PA

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Hasty View Post
    Excellent, thanks very much for the answer, that clears things up for me. And I would appreciate the update once you get it- and to be clear, this is the one you're getting, right? (http://a2dp4audi.netmagi.com/)
    No problem. Mine is out for delivery currently so I should have time to play around with it and post up some feedback later tonight. And yes, the link you posted is the one I am getting.

    Quote Originally Posted by theswoleguy View Post
    i may have to try this device as the audi option is $250 and just to confirm this will work with any phone that supports bluetooth audio correct? I am the blacksheep with an android phone in a sea of Iphone users apparently.
    My understanding is that the crux of this gadget (see above link) is the modified AMI cable. Essentially the cable is modified in a way that will allow it to transfer Bluetooth streaming audio to the MMI system. Then I believe (someone correct me if I am wrong) that the white "box" on the end of the cable is just a run-of-the-mill (generic) Bluetooth receiver with a 30-pin connection to mate with the AMI cable. So I think that white box is just looking for an audio signal via Bluetooth and does not discriminate where that signal comes from, sort of like if you have a standard 3.5mm aux. input jack, it will just transfer the audio signal from any old source with a mating 3.5mm aux output. (again, someone correct me if I am wrong).


    Quote Originally Posted by lmwong View Post
    in the FAQ of the cheaper option:

    Q: Does the 30-pin Bluetooth receiver automatically reconnect when I get in/out out of the car?
    A: A2DP Bluetooth audio receivers (headphones, speakers, etc.) are usually "passive" for connection. This means they are always available for connection when turned on with pre-paired devices, but will not actively pair unless a connect request is made from the audio player. Some phones or audio players may have an option to reconnect to a Bluetooth target automatically, and in this event auto-reconnection would be possible. If your phone or audio player does not have this option, you will need to reconnect manually. This is actually the desirable configuration as otherwise, every time you were close enough to a Bluetooth audio receiver you'd previously paired with, it would actively pair back, changing your current audio output.
    I did read that and was concerned at first, but my logic is that since my iPhone automatically pairs with the MMI's bluetooth receiver for phone functionality, then likewise it should be able to pair automatically with the A2DP receiver. I presume the iPhone is capable of pairing with two active Bluetooth receivers simultaneously (i.e. the built-in MMI receiver and the A2DP adapter), but I will find out tonight for sure.
    2015 Daytona Gray S4
    6MT / Sport Diff / B&O / Tech Pkg / Carbon Atlas / Black Alcantara
    Mods: S5 Peelers, Xpel Ultimate, 3M Color Stable Tint 35%, Bilstein PSS10, Euro Code Alu Kreuz, Eurocode Sway Bars, Moog Endlinks, CR-15, Eurocode Meisterwerk ASTS, AWE Resonated Touring Exhaust, ECS Luft-Technik Intake, 034 Transmission Mount, HCX LED 3000k Fog Lights, Apikol Rear Diff Mount

  16. #16
    Veteran Member Four Rings theswoleguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 07 2012
    AZ Member #
    105434
    Location
    Atlanta, GA

    how do i know what MMI i have?
    '01 Audi TTQ Roadster: QED motor, Pag 35R vband, spec twin, E85, Sold
    '03 GTI: Gutted, Parted & Transplanted
    '04 F250 6.0: 72mm turbo, 60 psi stupid fast for 8k lbs, Sold
    '15 Audi S4: Stock, S-Tronic, B&O, NAV, ADS w/ Sport Diff, Smart Key, glacier white w/ magma red, 19" Shamrocks lol

  17. #17
    Veteran Member Four Rings
    Join Date
    Oct 14 2012
    AZ Member #
    102231
    My Garage
    Empty...for now...
    Location
    Malvern, PA

    Quote Originally Posted by theswoleguy View Post
    how do i know what MMI i have?
    Check this:
    http://www.iamaudi.com/audi-2g-mmi-vs-audi-3g-mmi/
    2015 Daytona Gray S4
    6MT / Sport Diff / B&O / Tech Pkg / Carbon Atlas / Black Alcantara
    Mods: S5 Peelers, Xpel Ultimate, 3M Color Stable Tint 35%, Bilstein PSS10, Euro Code Alu Kreuz, Eurocode Sway Bars, Moog Endlinks, CR-15, Eurocode Meisterwerk ASTS, AWE Resonated Touring Exhaust, ECS Luft-Technik Intake, 034 Transmission Mount, HCX LED 3000k Fog Lights, Apikol Rear Diff Mount

  18. #18
    Veteran Member Four Rings theswoleguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 07 2012
    AZ Member #
    105434
    Location
    Atlanta, GA

    hmmm i have an SD card so i have to be atleast mmi 3g
    '01 Audi TTQ Roadster: QED motor, Pag 35R vband, spec twin, E85, Sold
    '03 GTI: Gutted, Parted & Transplanted
    '04 F250 6.0: 72mm turbo, 60 psi stupid fast for 8k lbs, Sold
    '15 Audi S4: Stock, S-Tronic, B&O, NAV, ADS w/ Sport Diff, Smart Key, glacier white w/ magma red, 19" Shamrocks lol

  19. #19
    Veteran Member Four Rings
    Join Date
    Oct 14 2012
    AZ Member #
    102231
    My Garage
    Empty...for now...
    Location
    Malvern, PA

    Quote Originally Posted by theswoleguy View Post
    hmmm i have an SD card so i have to be atleast mmi 3g
    The tell-tale sign for a 3G MMI system is if you have the "joystick" in the center of your main navigation wheel, as shown in this picture:


    And since you have a 2011, 3G is the newest version it could be (from the factory).
    2015 Daytona Gray S4
    6MT / Sport Diff / B&O / Tech Pkg / Carbon Atlas / Black Alcantara
    Mods: S5 Peelers, Xpel Ultimate, 3M Color Stable Tint 35%, Bilstein PSS10, Euro Code Alu Kreuz, Eurocode Sway Bars, Moog Endlinks, CR-15, Eurocode Meisterwerk ASTS, AWE Resonated Touring Exhaust, ECS Luft-Technik Intake, 034 Transmission Mount, HCX LED 3000k Fog Lights, Apikol Rear Diff Mount

  20. #20
    Veteran Member Four Rings theswoleguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 07 2012
    AZ Member #
    105434
    Location
    Atlanta, GA

    Re: Streaming Audio via Bluetooth on B8 S4

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveYem View Post
    The tell-tale sign for a 3G MMI system is if you have the "joystick" in the center of your main navigation wheel, as shown in this picture:


    And since you have a 2011, 3G is the newest version it could be (from the factory).
    I don't have nav nor Audi drive select, I have a similar knob but no joystick in the middle and it's on the dash not down in the consol like so.

    Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    '01 Audi TTQ Roadster: QED motor, Pag 35R vband, spec twin, E85, Sold
    '03 GTI: Gutted, Parted & Transplanted
    '04 F250 6.0: 72mm turbo, 60 psi stupid fast for 8k lbs, Sold
    '15 Audi S4: Stock, S-Tronic, B&O, NAV, ADS w/ Sport Diff, Smart Key, glacier white w/ magma red, 19" Shamrocks lol

  21. #21
    Veteran Member Four Rings
    Join Date
    Oct 14 2012
    AZ Member #
    102231
    My Garage
    Empty...for now...
    Location
    Malvern, PA

    Quote Originally Posted by theswoleguy View Post
    I don't have nav nor Audi drive select, I have a similar knob but no joystick in the middle and it's on the dash not down in the consol like so.
    That I'm not sure about. Sorry!


    Now back to the topic at hand: I tried out the A2DP receiver (this one, just to clarify: http://a2dp4audi.netmagi.com/ ), and here are my thoughts:
    * Sound quality when streaming music stored on my iPhone was good (but not great)
    * Sound quality when streaming music from Pandora, which is streaming to the phone via 3G service, was mediocre. Very compressed and tinny.
    * Volume in both modes is reduced, i.e. I had to turn the volume up considerably on the car stereo when streaming via Bluetooth to match the volume I would normally listen to it when playing from an SD card for example. Volume was reduced more when streaming Pandora than when streaming music stored on the iPhone
    * Sound occasionally cuts out momentarily when streaming both local content and Pandora. Sometimes it will happen 4 times a minute, and other times it will play for 5-10 minutes without interruption.

    Before putting the cable and adapter in the car, out of curiosity I plugged the bluetooth adapter into an iPod/iPhone compatible Sony sounddock in the house. I was able to stream Pandora and saved music from my phone successfully (but also at reduced volume) and I did not notice any drop-outs like I experienced in the car....but, I also didn't let it play as long. Tomorrow I will try the adapter in the sounddock again for a longer period and see if it drops out at all.
    2015 Daytona Gray S4
    6MT / Sport Diff / B&O / Tech Pkg / Carbon Atlas / Black Alcantara
    Mods: S5 Peelers, Xpel Ultimate, 3M Color Stable Tint 35%, Bilstein PSS10, Euro Code Alu Kreuz, Eurocode Sway Bars, Moog Endlinks, CR-15, Eurocode Meisterwerk ASTS, AWE Resonated Touring Exhaust, ECS Luft-Technik Intake, 034 Transmission Mount, HCX LED 3000k Fog Lights, Apikol Rear Diff Mount

  22. #22
    Established Member Two Rings NetMagi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 29 2012
    AZ Member #
    97746
    Location
    Allentown, PA

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveYem View Post
    That I'm not sure about. Sorry!


    Now back to the topic at hand: I tried out the A2DP receiver (this one, just to clarify: http://a2dp4audi.netmagi.com/ ), and here are my thoughts:
    * Sound quality when streaming music stored on my iPhone was good (but not great)
    * Sound quality when streaming music from Pandora, which is streaming to the phone via 3G service, was mediocre. Very compressed and tinny.
    * Volume in both modes is reduced, i.e. I had to turn the volume up considerably on the car stereo when streaming via Bluetooth to match the volume I would normally listen to it when playing from an SD card for example. Volume was reduced more when streaming Pandora than when streaming music stored on the iPhone
    * Sound occasionally cuts out momentarily when streaming both local content and Pandora. Sometimes it will happen 4 times a minute, and other times it will play for 5-10 minutes without interruption.

    Before putting the cable and adapter in the car, out of curiosity I plugged the bluetooth adapter into an iPod/iPhone compatible Sony sounddock in the house. I was able to stream Pandora and saved music from my phone successfully (but also at reduced volume) and I did not notice any drop-outs like I experienced in the car....but, I also didn't let it play as long. Tomorrow I will try the adapter in the sounddock again for a longer period and see if it drops out at all.


    Hi everyone!

    I'm the seller of the cables/receivers at http://a2dp4audi.netmagi.com/ and have been a member here for a while (prior to making these cables), so I'll take a stab at elaborating on the feedback here and also open up the floor to any other questions folks have (as long as it's ok with the mods).

    Reduced sound quality with Pandora is just Pandora itself. The music streams via your cellular connection. If you ever happen to park close enough to your house, connect via wifi instead of 3G/4G and have a paid account with hi-quality streaming turned on, it's much better :P Obviously that's not practical, but just pointing out the limitation here is Pandora, not the device. This will happen with any bluetooth receiver (including the one included in the B8.5's from factory) with Pandora over cellular as the source.

    The volume in my S4 was pretty much the same with the cable/receiver as tracks played from SD Card. It's unusual yours was different. Can you check to make sure your bluetooth audio volume is at max on your phone?

    And yes, the receiver is a standard 30-pin device intended originally for use in iPhone docks. If you happen to have one of these already, all you need is the custom cable. I often grab mine out of the car and use it in an old dock with an audio cable running to an amp in my garage. I can then roam around the garage working with my phone in my pocket for calls, but still stream Pandora :)

    Please let me know if anyone else has any questions and I'll try and stop back regularly to answer them. Feel free to also contact using the contact page on the site.

    -Rich H.
    Current:
    2011 B8 S4 - Ibis White, Prestige, Side Assist, 19" Tri-Spoke, Sports Diff, Alu-Optic, Carbon Atlas Inlays, Silk Nappa
    2009 TRD Off-Road Tacoma 4x4

    Previous:
    87 Celica GT-S, 90 Celica GT-S, 98 Tacoma 4x4

  23. #23
    Veteran Member Four Rings
    Join Date
    Oct 14 2012
    AZ Member #
    102231
    My Garage
    Empty...for now...
    Location
    Malvern, PA

    ^ Thanks for chiming in, Rich. Do you have any thoughts on the occasional drop-outs that occur? i.e. are they specific to the source (iPhone in this case), the bluetooth receiver, the AMI cable or the MMI system?

    I'm going to try letting it play for an extended period of time tonight streaming from my iPhone to my sounddock in the house to see if it drops out at all. If not, then I have to assume it has something to do with the AMI cable or the MMI system.

    Or are the drop-outs related to the iPhone being paired with both the MMI (for phone use) and your bluetooth receiver at the same time while in the car?
    2015 Daytona Gray S4
    6MT / Sport Diff / B&O / Tech Pkg / Carbon Atlas / Black Alcantara
    Mods: S5 Peelers, Xpel Ultimate, 3M Color Stable Tint 35%, Bilstein PSS10, Euro Code Alu Kreuz, Eurocode Sway Bars, Moog Endlinks, CR-15, Eurocode Meisterwerk ASTS, AWE Resonated Touring Exhaust, ECS Luft-Technik Intake, 034 Transmission Mount, HCX LED 3000k Fog Lights, Apikol Rear Diff Mount

  24. #24
    Established Member Two Rings Maltitol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 27 2012
    AZ Member #
    95939
    Location
    Rockville, MD

    Quote Originally Posted by theswoleguy View Post
    I don't have nav nor Audi drive select, I have a similar knob but no joystick in the middle and it's on the dash not down in the consol like so.
    I also have non-nav, and the only way to wirelessly get Bluetooth into your car is though the factory adapter that Audi sells on their store. Unfortunately it is discontinued and finding one is impossible. I made several calls and sent a lot of emails to a lot of online vendors. I managed to find one in Iowa and the quality isn't that great anyway. I suggest looking into a wired aux input solution.

    You can't use the custom cable because non-nav radio doesn't always provide power over the Ami cable.

    Good luck.

  25. #25
    Established Member Two Rings lmwong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 21 2008
    AZ Member #
    32222
    Location
    Earth

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveYem View Post
    I did read that and was concerned at first, but my logic is that since my iPhone automatically pairs with the MMI's bluetooth receiver for phone functionality, then likewise it should be able to pair automatically with the A2DP receiver. I presume the iPhone is capable of pairing with two active Bluetooth receivers simultaneously (i.e. the built-in MMI receiver and the A2DP adapter), but I will find out tonight for sure.
    I have an iPhone 5, iOS6, and the phone pairs automatically with the MMI but NOT with my A2DP receiver. Yes, it can pair 2 devices simultaneously, but the music is not automatic. This is also true for my android Galaxy Nexus phone.

    The android sound quality was not as good as the iPhone, which is not as good as a direct connection. I have a Pandora One account.

    You can adjust bluetooth volume with the iPhone volume controls (buttons or within the app, ie Pandora)

  26. #26
    Established Member Two Rings NetMagi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 29 2012
    AZ Member #
    97746
    Location
    Allentown, PA

    Quote Originally Posted by Maltitol View Post
    I also have non-nav, and the only way to wirelessly get Bluetooth into your car is though the factory adapter that Audi sells on their store. Unfortunately it is discontinued and finding one is impossible. I made several calls and sent a lot of emails to a lot of online vendors. I managed to find one in Iowa and the quality isn't that great anyway. I suggest looking into a wired aux input solution.

    You can't use the custom cable because non-nav radio doesn't always provide power over the Ami cable.

    Good luck.
    This is not entirely true. It can be used, you just need some addtl. components with non-navi systems to provide the power. Check out the last entry in my FAQ page:

    http://a2dp4audi.netmagi.com/faq.html

    If you remove the passenger side fuse block cover (open the passenger door, and its the flat panel at the end of the dash you can only access with the door open), you can piggyback a fused connection right there. Very clean install if done this way.



    -Rich H.
    Current:
    2011 B8 S4 - Ibis White, Prestige, Side Assist, 19" Tri-Spoke, Sports Diff, Alu-Optic, Carbon Atlas Inlays, Silk Nappa
    2009 TRD Off-Road Tacoma 4x4

    Previous:
    87 Celica GT-S, 90 Celica GT-S, 98 Tacoma 4x4

  27. #27
    Established Member Two Rings NetMagi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 29 2012
    AZ Member #
    97746
    Location
    Allentown, PA

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveYem View Post
    ^ Thanks for chiming in, Rich. Do you have any thoughts on the occasional drop-outs that occur? i.e. are they specific to the source (iPhone in this case), the bluetooth receiver, the AMI cable or the MMI system?

    I'm going to try letting it play for an extended period of time tonight streaming from my iPhone to my sounddock in the house to see if it drops out at all. If not, then I have to assume it has something to do with the AMI cable or the MMI system.

    Or are the drop-outs related to the iPhone being paired with both the MMI (for phone use) and your bluetooth receiver at the same time while in the car?
    I've driven 2 hours with only one drop-out, and driven 1 minute with 2 drop-outs :P Sometimes I think the earth's core, with it's magnetic bla bla . . j/k :)

    I honestly have no idea, but have experienced the same issue with other devices as well. Disconnecting from other bluetooth endpoints may give your phone less to do, and reduce the frequency, but I doubt it. With anything wireless, signal is never constant. I think some of the higher-end head units with built in BT solve this issue with a larger cache buffer and small delay in initial playback to fill the buffer.

    It's definitely not the cable itself. You can actually test this yourself by connecting an iOS device directly to the cable and playing back audio that way. With the custom cable, a connected iOS device plays back audio in plain old analog format, the same as it would with headphones plugged in, instead of talking to MMI in iPod mode. When connected directly, the audio *never* drops out.


    -Rich H.
    Current:
    2011 B8 S4 - Ibis White, Prestige, Side Assist, 19" Tri-Spoke, Sports Diff, Alu-Optic, Carbon Atlas Inlays, Silk Nappa
    2009 TRD Off-Road Tacoma 4x4

    Previous:
    87 Celica GT-S, 90 Celica GT-S, 98 Tacoma 4x4

  28. #28
    Veteran Member Four Rings
    Join Date
    Oct 14 2012
    AZ Member #
    102231
    My Garage
    Empty...for now...
    Location
    Malvern, PA

    Quote Originally Posted by NetMagi View Post
    I've driven 2 hours with only one drop-out, and driven 1 minute with 2 drop-outs :P Sometimes I think the earth's core, with it's magnetic bla bla . . j/k :)

    I honestly have no idea, but have experienced the same issue with other devices as well. Disconnecting from other bluetooth endpoints may give your phone less to do, and reduce the frequency, but I doubt it. With anything wireless, signal is never constant. I think some of the higher-end head units with built in BT solve this issue with a larger cache buffer and small delay in initial playback to fill the buffer.

    It's definitely not the cable itself. You can actually test this yourself by connecting an iOS device directly to the cable and playing back audio that way. With the custom cable, a connected iOS device plays back audio in plain old analog format, the same as it would with headphones plugged in, instead of talking to MMI in iPod mode. When connected directly, the audio *never* drops out.


    -Rich H.
    Ahhhh, ok, I meant to test this last night. You're saying that if I now plug my iPod classic into the modified AMI cable, it will show up as Auxiliary Input Device and not as an iPod within MMI, correct?
    2015 Daytona Gray S4
    6MT / Sport Diff / B&O / Tech Pkg / Carbon Atlas / Black Alcantara
    Mods: S5 Peelers, Xpel Ultimate, 3M Color Stable Tint 35%, Bilstein PSS10, Euro Code Alu Kreuz, Eurocode Sway Bars, Moog Endlinks, CR-15, Eurocode Meisterwerk ASTS, AWE Resonated Touring Exhaust, ECS Luft-Technik Intake, 034 Transmission Mount, HCX LED 3000k Fog Lights, Apikol Rear Diff Mount

  29. #29
    Established Member Two Rings NetMagi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 29 2012
    AZ Member #
    97746
    Location
    Allentown, PA

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveYem View Post
    Ahhhh, ok, I meant to test this last night. You're saying that if I now plug my iPod classic into the modified AMI cable, it will show up as Auxiliary Input Device and not as an iPod within MMI, correct?
    correct.

    -Rich H.
    Current:
    2011 B8 S4 - Ibis White, Prestige, Side Assist, 19" Tri-Spoke, Sports Diff, Alu-Optic, Carbon Atlas Inlays, Silk Nappa
    2009 TRD Off-Road Tacoma 4x4

    Previous:
    87 Celica GT-S, 90 Celica GT-S, 98 Tacoma 4x4

  30. #30
    Established Member Two Rings Rodney Hasty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 08 2012
    AZ Member #
    105486
    Location
    Asheville, NC

    If you have the standard cable in the glove box that fits to an iPhone and you plug it in, what does the MMI screen show then?
    2011 Audi S4 | Prestige | Phantom Black/ Black Nappa Leather | 6MT | Rear Sport Differential | B&O Premium | APR Stage II+ | Stage 2 Carbonio Intake | Rennline Pedals
    APR and Supercharged Badges | JHM Short Shifter | Clutchmasters FX400 | Alu Kruez Drivetrain Stabilizer | Michelin Pilot A/S Plus | Alu Optic Stone Guards | USS Swaybars and End Links

  31. #31
    Established Member Two Rings NetMagi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 29 2012
    AZ Member #
    97746
    Location
    Allentown, PA

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Hasty View Post
    If you have the standard cable in the glove box that fits to an iPhone and you plug it in, what does the MMI screen show then?
    goes into iPhone mode, where MMI navigates your songs/playlists

    -Rich H.
    Current:
    2011 B8 S4 - Ibis White, Prestige, Side Assist, 19" Tri-Spoke, Sports Diff, Alu-Optic, Carbon Atlas Inlays, Silk Nappa
    2009 TRD Off-Road Tacoma 4x4

    Previous:
    87 Celica GT-S, 90 Celica GT-S, 98 Tacoma 4x4

  32. #32
    Established Member Two Rings Rodney Hasty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 08 2012
    AZ Member #
    105486
    Location
    Asheville, NC

    Do you have to have an Iphone with cellular service for it to work plugged directly into the cord in the glove box?

    If not, can you use an older iPhone, put all your music on there, and then just plug it in and forget about it? This would obviously just be to play music, because with no service you couldn't use Pandora and other apps like that.

    The problem I'm having is that a bunch of songs from my Itunes account will not load into the MMI Jukebox, even converted to MP3 format. It's weird- I tried to transfer all of my music that way- burn MP3 discs from Itunes and upload them- but a bunch of them showed up in the Jukebox grayed out and won't play. I can't figure out a rhyme or reason to it as to why some upload just fine and some show up grayed out like that- they still appear, but are just grayed out and I can't play them.
    2011 Audi S4 | Prestige | Phantom Black/ Black Nappa Leather | 6MT | Rear Sport Differential | B&O Premium | APR Stage II+ | Stage 2 Carbonio Intake | Rennline Pedals
    APR and Supercharged Badges | JHM Short Shifter | Clutchmasters FX400 | Alu Kruez Drivetrain Stabilizer | Michelin Pilot A/S Plus | Alu Optic Stone Guards | USS Swaybars and End Links

  33. #33
    Veteran Member Four Rings
    Join Date
    Oct 14 2012
    AZ Member #
    102231
    My Garage
    Empty...for now...
    Location
    Malvern, PA

    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Hasty View Post
    Do you have to have an Iphone with cellular service for it to work plugged directly into the cord in the glove box?

    If not, can you use an older iPhone, put all your music on there, and then just plug it in and forget about it? This would obviously just be to play music, because with no service you couldn't use Pandora and other apps like that.

    The problem I'm having is that a bunch of songs from my Itunes account will not load into the MMI Jukebox, even converted to MP3 format. It's weird- I tried to transfer all of my music that way- burn MP3 discs from Itunes and upload them- but a bunch of them showed up in the Jukebox grayed out and won't play. I can't figure out a rhyme or reason to it as to why some upload just fine and some show up grayed out like that- they still appear, but are just grayed out and I can't play them.
    I have not tried that personally, but I think your logic is solid. It should see your iPhone with no service just as though it is an iPod. Really, an iPhone with no cellular service is essentially an iPod Touch.
    2015 Daytona Gray S4
    6MT / Sport Diff / B&O / Tech Pkg / Carbon Atlas / Black Alcantara
    Mods: S5 Peelers, Xpel Ultimate, 3M Color Stable Tint 35%, Bilstein PSS10, Euro Code Alu Kreuz, Eurocode Sway Bars, Moog Endlinks, CR-15, Eurocode Meisterwerk ASTS, AWE Resonated Touring Exhaust, ECS Luft-Technik Intake, 034 Transmission Mount, HCX LED 3000k Fog Lights, Apikol Rear Diff Mount

  34. #34
    Senior Member Three Rings
    Join Date
    Jul 27 2011
    AZ Member #
    78859
    Location
    Northern NJ

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveYem View Post
    I have not tried that personally, but I think your logic is solid. It should see your iPhone with no service just as though it is an iPod. Really, an iPhone with no cellular service is essentially an iPod Touch.
    I have been using my iPhone 3 as an Ipod while at work for a few years. I just put it in airplane mode so I can use wifi for sirius or pandora but I can also play the music via a dock so logic stand that it should still work even with no sim card in it
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________________________
    2011 S4 Premium+/6spd/Black Phantom w Blk Silk Nappa/Stainless Inlay/B&O/Navi
    APR Stage 2 & Pulley/E-Code Sways Front & Rear w Drop Links & Alu Kruz/H&R OE Sport Springs/5mm Front & 11mm Rear Spacers/JHM Shifter/Milltek Non-resonated/Stratmosphere Intake

    "There's not replacement for displacement but I'd rather be blown"

  35. #35
    Established Member Two Rings Rodney Hasty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 08 2012
    AZ Member #
    105486
    Location
    Asheville, NC

    Has anyone had the issue of uploading MP3's to the jukebox from a CD and having some of them show up grayed out and not playable?
    2011 Audi S4 | Prestige | Phantom Black/ Black Nappa Leather | 6MT | Rear Sport Differential | B&O Premium | APR Stage II+ | Stage 2 Carbonio Intake | Rennline Pedals
    APR and Supercharged Badges | JHM Short Shifter | Clutchmasters FX400 | Alu Kruez Drivetrain Stabilizer | Michelin Pilot A/S Plus | Alu Optic Stone Guards | USS Swaybars and End Links

  36. #36
    Registered Member One Ring
    Join Date
    May 30 2013
    AZ Member #
    116205
    Location
    VA

    Quote Originally Posted by Maltitol View Post
    I will save you the agony that I went through. Your answer lies here:
    http://a2dp4audi.netmagi.com/
    This is absolutely awesome. I was beyond irked when I realized my 2012 S4 wouldn't stream BT audio, and the only solution seemed to be to buy a 2013.......until now. Just received my cable and BT adapter combo in the mail today. Slipped home real quick, grabbed it from the mail, and had it installed and paired in under a minute. Streamed Spotify all the way back to work, happy as can be :)

    Thank you Netmagi, you are the man!!!!!

  37. #37
    Veteran Member Four Rings infinkc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 14 2004
    AZ Member #
    465
    Location
    S C, C*

    Quote Originally Posted by jflail2 View Post
    This is absolutely awesome. I was beyond irked when I realized my 2012 S4 wouldn't stream BT audio, and the only solution seemed to be to buy a 2013.......until now. Just received my cable and BT adapter combo in the mail today. Slipped home real quick, grabbed it from the mail, and had it installed and paired in under a minute. Streamed Spotify all the way back to work, happy as can be :)

    Thank you Netmagi, you are the man!!!!!
    Do the titles show up?

    i was thinking on getting a Tune2air adapter.

    There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who know binary and those who don't.

  38. #38
    Registered Member One Ring
    Join Date
    May 30 2013
    AZ Member #
    116205
    Location
    VA

    The titles do not show up. It just says that the external audio device is connected, or something like that. So titles, controls etc are done through your phone. I have no idea if that Tune2air adapter would allow the titles to show in the Audi's display. I don't think so, but obviously Netmagi would be able to answer that better than I.

    I immediately turned my map on so I'd have something besides the static external audio device message showing on my display. While it's not perfect, it sure beats nothing at all.

  39. #39
    Veteran Member Three Rings NeedQuattro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 04 2012
    AZ Member #
    86162
    Location
    Queens, NY

    Tune2air does in fact show titles, but all controls are through the phone itself.

    More info in this thread: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...ight=bluetooth
    Current:
    2014 Q5 3.0T, Scuba Blue, Premium Plus, MMI, B+O, S-Line, Sport package

    Past:
    2012 Audi S4 - GIAC Stg2+
    2011 Subaru STI - Cobb Stg2+

  40. #40
    Registered Member One Ring
    Join Date
    May 30 2013
    AZ Member #
    116205
    Location
    VA

    Interesting. So I could take the plunge for the Tune2air and get the titles on screen? Not sure if it's worth the $$ if I can't control using the steering wheel controls.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


    © 2001-2019 Audizine, Audizine.com, and Driverzines.com
    Audizine is an independently owned and operated automotive enthusiast community and news website.
    Audi and the Audi logo(s) are copyright/trademark Audi AG. Audizine is not endorsed by or affiliated with Audi AG.