Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Finally got to take the Audi autocorssing

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Dang, clicked submit post before realizing I mispelled autocrossing in the title haha. Oh well, on to the post...

I'm happy after 3 years of building the car up I finally got to take the Audi out. I used to have a '91 MR2 NA that was a blast at autoX, but the Audi was just a plain turd until now. I finally put on some H&R Race springs with Bilstein sports, K04-15 (still working on tuning mods), 3" catless exhaust with Audi sport muffler, and to top it off I finally got some sticky BFG KDWs on 17" BBS CH. I figured what better way to burn off the new tires I got...

I was actually putting up some competitive times until the track started drying out and and then I plastered a cone and snapped an axle at the same time...

Ended up fixing in the parking lot at the truck stop down the street from the track. By the way, the rain during the race was amidst the storm that collided with Superstorm Sandy, then repaired it the next day while Sandy was bearing down on Ohio. No fun, but no regrets!

Fastest run of the day:

Veteran Member Four Rings andyrew's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    73 Porsche 914 AEB 1.8T CTB5356, 16 Infiniti Q50 3.0tt, 2016 Honda Pilot EX-L

Good job!
    73 914 1.8T AEB + FWD 016 trans
    AWM Wiring harness, Comp Turbo CTB5356, ABS, ESP, Custom interior, Flares, Brakes, Custom everything :) Build below
    http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=114780

Veteran Member Four Rings TConklin821's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Nice. I used to AutoX with my Miata. Loved it. Never tried it with the B5, it's my only daily. Also, I think my GTRS spools kind of late for it.
    2001 A4 1.8TQM. Custom catless turbo back, GTRS turbo, 440 green giants, FMIC, custom tune, ECS RA4 clutch + LWFW, short throw, ST coils, 235-40-18 tires
    ^RIP^

Veteran Member Three Rings c0r3y.af's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Looks awesome man! I took mine autocrossing during Waterfest this year for the first time and had a blast! Hoping to take it out a few times next year. Sucks about the axle :(

Veteran Member Four Rings GetBoosted84's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    01 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro / 88 Mazda RX-7 GXL

Quote Originally Posted by TConklin821 View Post
    I think my GTRS spools kind of late for it.
    I disagree. I auto-x'd with my car when it was running a GT2860RS and it was fantastic... the power was exactly where you want it for an auto-x course. Try it and you will see what I mean.

Veteran Member Three Rings bikerbob951's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2006 Volvo XC70 AWD, 1936 Dodge D2 Touring Sedan

Congrats man, autox is a blast. I've been out of it for about a year, life has gotten busy... but I'll join you next year. Speaking of, I noticed you are in the Columbus region, we should pick an event next year and race!

Also, if you're in Columbus, you should try the PDX at Mid-Ohio, it's the most excited / nervous I've felt in a car! Super good fun, and everyone is great towards the new guys.

Anyway, glad you had fun. Hopefully more B5's start showing up at events!
    Vorsprung Durch Technik.
    1999 AEB B5 A4 quattro

My new build thread. Instagram

AZ Member #

Thanks everyone! It's funny you talk about lag of a GTRS when I was annoyed by the lag of my k04 in the low speed turns. This was the first time racing in a turbo car and, frankly, an NA car is probably much better at autoX. I just noticed I'd finally get boost right when I needed to brake in some of the turns.

I imagine a little smoother driving could have saved the axle, but the patchy wetness sure made it fun to race, especially since I don't have ABS right now bc I broke the sensor when doing the bearings haha.

I'll have to check that PDX out, thanks! You definitely should come race up in Columbus next season. Although I might just be tracking down an e30 to race next season since this A4 is my DD haha

Veteran Member Four Rings howardfootball's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '57 Ford Thunderbird

Finally got to take the Audi autocorssing

A K04 really doesn't have lag. It's pretty much insta-spool. You may have a boost leak if it feels like its lagging. Do you have a boost gauge?

Veteran Member Four Rings TConklin821's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by GetBoosted84 View Post
    I disagree. I auto-x'd with my car when it was running a GT2860RS and it was fantastic... the power was exactly where you want it for an auto-x course. Try it and you will see what I mean.
    I will. The 2860RS is the same at a GTRS from what I understand, just an updated version.
    2001 A4 1.8TQM. Custom catless turbo back, GTRS turbo, 440 green giants, FMIC, custom tune, ECS RA4 clutch + LWFW, short throw, ST coils, 235-40-18 tires
    ^RIP^

Veteran Member Four Rings ianwpb's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    01 S4 6MT, 13 Q5, 12 A3 TDI

"What's your oil light doing?" "Blinkin'!"

LOL
    '13 BMW 135Is 6MT Coupe - #387/586
    '01 S4 6MT - SRM K24's, Stock Block, E85 448/392 Mustang Dyno
    '13 Q5 2.0T Premium Plus
    Gone -
    '12 A3 TDI Premium Plus
    '10 A3 Premium
    '99 A4 2.8 5MT

Veteran Member Four Rings andyrew's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    73 Porsche 914 AEB 1.8T CTB5356, 16 Infiniti Q50 3.0tt, 2016 Honda Pilot EX-L

FYI the GTRS is a perfectly fine sized turbo for autox.. Get it in 2nd and leave it...
    73 914 1.8T AEB + FWD 016 trans
    AWM Wiring harness, Comp Turbo CTB5356, ABS, ESP, Custom interior, Flares, Brakes, Custom everything :) Build below
    http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=114780

Veteran Member Four Rings BlackLock_A4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Looks awesome. Next year I will Autox. Haven't done it yet.
    2001 1.8TQM
    Speed doesn't kill. It's that damn sudden stop.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by howardfootball View Post
    A K04 really doesn't have lag. It's pretty much insta-spool. You may have a boost leak if it feels like its lagging. Do you have a boost gauge?
    To me, every turbo car has lag because you cant blip the throttle mid turn like you can with an NA (but I also don't have experience with other cars). I do have a gauge, and I do probably have a leak, but it's probably mostly due to not having it tuned yet.

@andy, that's pretty cool how you do laps at your events. I wish we did that. is that still an "autocross" or is it something different?

Registered User Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B5 A4 2 liter HTA3586r

Quote Originally Posted by TConklin821 View Post
    I will. The 2860RS is the same at a GTRS from what I understand, just an updated version.
    Only difference between the 2 is the housings.

Veteran Member Four Rings GetBoosted84's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    01 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro / 88 Mazda RX-7 GXL

Quote Originally Posted by Fender0122 View Post
    To me, every turbo car has lag because you cant blip the throttle mid turn like you can with an NA (but I also don't have experience with other cars). I do have a gauge, and I do probably have a leak, but it's probably mostly due to not having it tuned yet.
    You most certainly have a setup issue (boost leak or tuning issue). I've run the K04 turbo previously (with the GIAC Hammer file) and you can just blip the throttle and it goes. However in either scenario, blipping the throttle is not a good idea mid turn if you're looking to stay hooked on the pavement. Smooth is fast in road racing & auto-x.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by GetBoosted84 View Post
    You most certainly have a setup issue (boost leak or tuning issue). I've run the K04 turbo previously (with the GIAC Hammer file) and you can just blip the throttle and it goes. However in either scenario, blipping the throttle is not a good idea mid turn if you're looking to stay hooked on the pavement. Smooth is fast in road racing & auto-x.
    Very true, very true. It's only when you screw up and understeer and cant blip the throttle like my old mr2 and get it to rotate some more. Plus, it was mostly in the low rpms where my car was lacking. The one nice thing I noticed is with a little lag comes better grip in the wet since it's not so abrupt on the tires, hence smoother is better!