Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered User Four Rings winston@podi.ca's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Pods, gauges and more pods

PSA: If you are running a boost gauge and do not have an inline air filter installed

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Do not run an electronic boost gauge without the inline filter as the blowby from the PCV will contaminate the sender and damage it.

A mechanical gauge will not have electrical issues, but over time the condensation and oil particles will build up inside the gauge and cause issues.

This is an issue we have found with the FSI/TFSI engines. Here is the inside of the vacuum line from a 2012 B8A4 installation that was installed after 72 hours. The condensation and oil vapor fouled the boost sender.

Your boost sender may look different, but mount the inline filter in the cabin to keep it away from heat as shown here. If you mount the filter in the engine bay it would melt due to the heat and then cause an airflow restriction.

Veteran Member Four Rings crazytex21's Avatar
    AZ Member #

thanks for the info winston.
    tex lee

A lot of people think you want to race, when in reality, you just have to motor home because Chipotle.
    ~Shicky~

Veteran Member Four Rings CorneliusRox's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2003CBR600rr, 1997 12VCummins4X4

good advice!

[FONT=Arial Narrow]Corey - BSME

08 A4 6MT, Quattro, VAST Stg1, JOM C/O's, 034 RSB, BFI Snub - 24.75" FTG, 255/35-18 V12's

------------------> Buy my wheels/tires/spacers/bolts! <------------------

Veteran Member Three Rings konarider94's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    04 Buell XB12s

i highly doubt the filter would melt unless it was right on the exhaust. most plastics don't melt till 400F+, if using an electronic gauge the sender would typically be mounted under the hood correct? so the filter would also have to be in the engine bay. and that looks like an inline fuel filter, they are typically sitting right on an intake manifold in a carbureted car.

edit: do you think that water is condensing from the air once it cools inside the car? a filter wont get rid of water vapor.
    2008 A4 Quattro S-Line Ti 6MT, APR Stage 1, RAI DP, RS4 sway bar, 034 Street Engine Mounts, BFI Snub, 20mm spacers

Veteran Member Four Rings DRAKLORE's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '81 Mk1 VW CADDY/2012 Honda Ruckus

-Shane Drake-
    1981 VW Caddy 5.4L V8 Swap Speedhunters Feature!
    2006 A4 Avant Dolphin Grey
    2007 GT3071R A4 Moro Blue-RIP
    >DRAKLOREs Build<
    Formerly DRAKES-PERFORMANCE

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by konarider94 View Post
    i highly doubt the filter would melt unless it was right on the exhaust. most plastics don't melt till 400F+, if using an electronic gauge the sender would typically be mounted under the hood correct? so the filter would also have to be in the engine bay. and that looks like an inline fuel filter, they are typically sitting right on an intake manifold in a carbureted car.

edit: do you think that water is condensing from the air once it cools inside the car? a filter wont get rid of water vapor.
    You can doubt that the filter will melt, I have of people installing them in the engine bay and telling me otherwise, so my suggestion is to have it installed as I have shown to prevent any issues.

Without a filter the sender failed after 3 days, with one in I haven't heard from the owner after a few months.

You can decide what to do with your own setup.

Veteran Member Four Rings Charles.waite's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by konarider94 View Post

It will melt. There was someone who posted pictures of theirs on here. It was mounted underneath the coolant tank and still melted.

Its just a better idea to mount it either where Shane posted above, or inside the cabin. My vote goes for Shanes location as that way you don't need to run fat vac lines into the cabin...
    -CP
    2008 Brilliant Black Unicorn (2.0t S-Line Ti 6MT Avant) - R8 V10 Coils and Spark Plugs - AMI retrofit - Mk2 RNS-E
    2012 Q5 2.0t - Stock Mommy Missile with new timing chains
    Former USP CLUB MEMBER #136
    2004 A4 1.8TQ 6MT USP - APR Stage 1+ - FSI Coils - BKR7EIX-11 - B6S4 Front + B7A4 Rear Brakes - 034 Street Trans Mount
    SOLD -- 2006 A4 2.0TQ Avant Tiptronic

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2008 A4 Avant 2.0T, 2014 Honda Odyssey

Quote Originally Posted by DRAKLORE View Post
    Where did you mount the sender, is it also in that compartment or is it in the cabin?

Veteran Member Four Rings rongeur's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Does this go for the VEI boost gauge as well? No such filter was included in the kit if so.
    2008 A4 2.0T Quattro 6MT S-Line QGM
    Stage 3 JHM TD05H-R on a fully built motor
    Build Thread

Veteran Member Four Rings GA42.0T's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I've had mine right here for several months and 4, 300mile road trips. No problems yet.

Jamie | 2008 2.0T FWD 6MT Brilliant Black S-like
    S-line Suspension+B5 Spring Perchs | RAI HFC | ER SMIC | 034 TIP | B8 18X8 Sport Wheels | Spacers: 10/12.5mm | RS4 Sway | "D" DV | De-badge | S4 Blackout Grill | Euro RNS-E | OEM Ecode Xenons | Clear Side Markers | Cupra Lip | S4 Mirror Caps | ECS Slotted/Drilled Front Rotors | Ceramic Pads | Poser S-line Door Badges | Podi | 034 Catch Can. Go: Still Stage Zero

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Where can I buy an inline air filter?

Veteran Member Three Rings ignus99's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Go to your local shop (NAPA or equivalent) and ask for an inline fuel filter. Works the same and costs about $3-4.

Learned this the hard way!!! I had 2 sending units warranty from AWE before I realized I was screwing up my sending unit. They REALLY need to include one in the kit they sell.
    - Karl

Engine: GT28RS by ATP / Turbosmart 38mm dual BOV/Recirc / Carbonio CAI / APR TBE / APR Testpipe / REVO St2+ / Snow Performance ST2 / APR HPFP
    Body/Suspension: KW V2 / DPE ST-10 19x8.5 et35 / Thor Skid Plate
    Pretty Stuff: AWE Vent Boost Gauge / OEM Bixenon + V4 LED / Supertones / Votex SS / CF Hood & Mirrors / RS4 Grille & Fogs

Veteran Member Four Rings fordyoz's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by JasonDF View Post
    It blows my mind.
    lol

mines right next to the battery
    Borg Warner EFR6758 B7 A4

Veteran Member Four Rings Sly Raskal's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2008 Audi A4 Avant SE 2.0T 6spd Titanium Edition

Quote Originally Posted by GA42.0T View Post
    I've had mine right here for several months and 4, 300mile road trips. No problems yet.

In two weeks, mine will have been in that location for 4 years and it hasn't melted or been damaged.
    -Anil

'08 A4 Avant SE 2.0T, Ibis/Ebony, Titanium, 6-Speed, Complete S-Line Package, Quattro, APR Fully Loaded Stage 1 Tunes (stock, 91, 93, 100), Stasis Exhaust, Apikol Snub, RS4 RSB, LLumar CTX 50 Tint (Sides,Rear), LLumar Air 80 Tint (Windshield), Cool Box (Delivery - June/2008)

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by rongeur View Post
    Does this go for the VEI boost gauge as well? No such filter was included in the kit if so.
    x2. I bought mine years ago and havent ran ino any problems yet but will get one if needed

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rongeur View Post
    Reported issues from blowby from B5, B6 and B7 owners have been very rare, however, my posting was a general precautionary heads up and I included the B7 as it has a FSI engine.

I have noticing that with the B8 engine there has been excessive amount of "stuff" in the vacuum line which have been causing issues.

Veteran Member Four Rings GA42.0T's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Sly Raskal View Post
    In two weeks, mine will have been in that location for 4 years and it hasn't melted or been damaged.
    Well that's encouraging!
    Jamie | 2008 2.0T FWD 6MT Brilliant Black S-like
    S-line Suspension+B5 Spring Perchs | RAI HFC | ER SMIC | 034 TIP | B8 18X8 Sport Wheels | Spacers: 10/12.5mm | RS4 Sway | "D" DV | De-badge | S4 Blackout Grill | Euro RNS-E | OEM Ecode Xenons | Clear Side Markers | Cupra Lip | S4 Mirror Caps | ECS Slotted/Drilled Front Rotors | Ceramic Pads | Poser S-line Door Badges | Podi | 034 Catch Can. Go: Still Stage Zero

Veteran Member Four Rings DRAKLORE's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '81 Mk1 VW CADDY/2012 Honda Ruckus

Quote Originally Posted by latte View Post
    Where did you mount the sender, is it also in that compartment or is it in the cabin?
    This is on a VEI gauge, where the sender/gauge is ONE
    -Shane Drake-
    1981 VW Caddy 5.4L V8 Swap Speedhunters Feature!
    2006 A4 Avant Dolphin Grey
    2007 GT3071R A4 Moro Blue-RIP
    >DRAKLOREs Build<
    Formerly DRAKES-PERFORMANCE

Veteran Member Four Rings Sly Raskal's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2008 Audi A4 Avant SE 2.0T 6spd Titanium Edition

Quote Originally Posted by GA42.0T View Post
    Well that's encouraging!
    I currently have approx ~33K miles on my car if that also helps determine how long it's been exposed to daily driving conditions.
    -Anil

'08 A4 Avant SE 2.0T, Ibis/Ebony, Titanium, 6-Speed, Complete S-Line Package, Quattro, APR Fully Loaded Stage 1 Tunes (stock, 91, 93, 100), Stasis Exhaust, Apikol Snub, RS4 RSB, LLumar CTX 50 Tint (Sides,Rear), LLumar Air 80 Tint (Windshield), Cool Box (Delivery - June/2008)

Veteran Member Four Rings A-BlacK_MambA-4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '05.5 A4 2.0T Tip Revo Stage 2; Wifes 2013 Chevy Cruze

Just so I'm clear on this, I have a Podi Mechanical gauge and I should still install an inline filter (not for electrical reasons) but because the oil particles and condensation will eventually build up inside the gauge correct?
    -JOEL

The Real Black Mamba

Veteran Member Three Rings ignus99's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by A-BlacK_MambA-4 View Post
    Just so I'm clear on this, I have a Podi Mechanical gauge and I should still install an inline filter (not for electrical reasons) but because the oil particles and condensation will eventually build up inside the gauge correct?
    It honestly can't hurt... I would if I were you.

replaced my sending unit twice. Not fun. Especially if it can be avoided with a >$5 part
    - Karl

Engine: GT28RS by ATP / Turbosmart 38mm dual BOV/Recirc / Carbonio CAI / APR TBE / APR Testpipe / REVO St2+ / Snow Performance ST2 / APR HPFP
    Body/Suspension: KW V2 / DPE ST-10 19x8.5 et35 / Thor Skid Plate
    Pretty Stuff: AWE Vent Boost Gauge / OEM Bixenon + V4 LED / Supertones / Votex SS / CF Hood & Mirrors / RS4 Grille & Fogs

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by A-BlacK_MambA-4 View Post
    You will get buildup inside of the gauge and if anything the oil particles will keep everything inside well lubricated!

But it can not hurt to have an inline filter installed.

I've been having email issues and I think your silicone fitting got lost in cyberspace so I'll toss in a filter as part of that shipment.

Veteran Member Four Rings jrtrainor's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    94 yj 88 bronco 15 fusion

Quote Originally Posted by winston@podi.ca View Post
    You will get buildup inside of the gauge and if anything the oil particles will keep everything inside well lubricated!

I've been having email issues and I think your silicone fitting got lost in cyberspace so I'll toss in a filter as part of that shipment.
    Would i be applicable to this toss in? as my silicone fitting was lost as well.
    B7 A4, GTX2867R 8.3:1 CR 2.149L motor Build

C5 Allroad 2.7TT

C6 A6 3.0T

Sunday Wrench Days

"Call him the Redneck mechanic with the beard of glory"

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jrtrainor View Post
    Would i be applicable to this toss in? as my silicone fitting was lost as well.
    Please provide me details of your order.

Veteran Member Four Rings jrtrainor's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    94 yj 88 bronco 15 fusion

Please provide me details of your order.
    PM'd you the details.
    B7 A4, GTX2867R 8.3:1 CR 2.149L motor Build

C5 Allroad 2.7TT

C6 A6 3.0T

Sunday Wrench Days

"Call him the Redneck mechanic with the beard of glory"

AZ Member #
    My Garage

No problem, I actually received the silicone fitting like 2 days after we spoke. I was actually shocked to have received it, I was looking for a PM or something to say you were working on getting it sent out or whatever and then it showed up Don't worry about the filter, I was just planning on picking one up from Napa or somewhere, no need for you to go through the hassle of packing it up and shipping it off.
    -JOEL

The Real Black Mamba

AZ Member #
    My Garage

If you are looking for an filter you are looking for one with 1/8" barbed ends so the vacuum line will fit snug over the nipple when inserted.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

If you are looking for an filter you are looking for one with 1/8" barbed ends so the vacuum line will fit snug over the nipple when inserted.
    I will be sure to take note of that. Thanks again Winston!
    -JOEL

The Real Black Mamba

AZ Member #

do you sell them or can you give a link to where to purchase..a quick search pulled up many 1/4"

AZ Member #
    My Garage

They are available for 2 for $5.00 in the accessories section on the Podi.ca site.

Veteran Member Four Rings papadelogan's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1999 F250 7.3 Powerstroke

They are available for 2 for $5.00 in the accessories section on the Podi.ca site.
    Wish I'd have seen this thread a few days back! I just ordered a mechanical gauge setup and got it Friday. Ah well, guess that's why there are local parts houses. Thanks for the info Winston.
    2013 Phantom Black A5 Premium Plus Cabriolet (2.0T quattro) mods4cars module & VAG-COM tweaks - mesh grill, gunmetal 18's, & maybe an HFC & tune...

2007 Ibis White B7 A4 Ti Avant 6MT quattro JHM Stage 2, HFC, Milltek CatBack, GFB DV+ "the YETI" FOR SALE

2005.5 Black B7 A4 6MT quattro sold

Veteran Member Four Rings 617 Bones's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Wife's - MK3 GTI VR6 Vortech S/C

Hey Winston - thanks for the PSA!
    To clarify... is the inline filter the yellow thing with the orange paper cone inside? If so, what is that black ufo looking thing at the bottom of the that line?
    B7 A4 Avant 2.0T 6MT - Arctic | H&R + B5 Perches | JHM S/S + 4:1 Center Diff | Apikol Snub + Rear Diff Mount | Hawk HPS | Tyrolsport Caliper Kit | AWE Exhaust | 034 RSB + Spherical End Links | 19" VMR v710

AZ Member #
    My Garage

The black UFO looking thing is an electronic boost sender, the filter is positioned upstream to protect it.

Veteran Member Four Rings 617 Bones's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Wife's - MK3 GTI VR6 Vortech S/C

The black UFO looking thing is an electronic boost sender, the filter is positioned upstream to protect it.
    Thanks, man! Good to know! Btw, I was just on podi.ca and I'm ordering the boost tap! Great simple idea!!
    B7 A4 Avant 2.0T 6MT - Arctic | H&R + B5 Perches | JHM S/S + 4:1 Center Diff | Apikol Snub + Rear Diff Mount | Hawk HPS | Tyrolsport Caliper Kit | AWE Exhaust | 034 RSB + Spherical End Links | 19" VMR v710

AZ Member #

tried to order 4 times, but it kept saying order decline. I will try the local hardware store tomorrow, and hit yall back up if I cant find one.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

If your card is being declined then our merchant processor does not like the information, we have no control over that.

AZ Member #

Does it matter which way the FIlter is oriented? I have it oriented like this:

Manifold ---->[whitecap->filter->clearcap] ------> Sender

Basically opposite of the way it in in this picture:

any problem with that?
    -CP
    2008 Brilliant Black Unicorn (2.0t S-Line Ti 6MT Avant) - R8 V10 Coils and Spark Plugs - AMI retrofit - Mk2 RNS-E
    2004 A4 1.8TQ 6MT USP - APR Stage 1+ - FSI Coils - BKR7EIX-11 - B6S4 Front + B7A4 Rear Brakes - 034 Street Trans Mount

AZ Member #
    My Garage

The air filter has an arrow on the outside of it to show you its preferred airflow direction which is shown as I have it installed.

If you install it in reverse the air will still be filtered, but you may not be able to see contaminants as they will be trapped inside the filter (how you have installed) vs. outside the filter (how I have installed).

AZ Member #

The air filter has an arrow on the outside of it to show you its preferred airflow direction which is shown as I have it installed.

If you install it in reverse the air will still be filtered, but you may not be able to see contaminants as they will be trapped inside the filter (how you have installed) vs. outside the filter (how I have installed).
    Ahh. Maybe it helps to look for those arrows, haha. THanks Winston, hopefully I'll get the gauge wiring done this week sometime and post up some pics and impressions. So far the quality of the kit is outstanding!
    -CP

Veteran Member Four Rings canadianA4B7's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    parts

so as a caution throw the filter in, great thanx for the info was planing on doing the install in the coming weekend. good thing i checked the site!! how about the 2nd anti-buzz? i see on the install it attaches to the T fitting and where should install the 2nd one close to the gauge itself? do i have that right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast