Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I put a performance log up a couple days ago that had my timing. Just wanted to check fuel rail and lambda. I'm not sure how to interpret that information, so I put it on here. Thanks

Sent from my SM-N950U using Audizine mobile app

AZ Member #

Logs here.

I did a handful of pulls in 2nd-3rd and/or 3rd-4th with ~1-2 min rest in between.

Car: B8 S4 DSG
    Fuel: Chevron 91 + 3 gal of E85 to get ~E20
    DA: 7000'
    Ambient temp: 80F
    Pulleys: 187mm lower, stock upper
    Tune: Unitronic Stage 2+
    Cooling: PLM Hx w/o reservoir and 50/50 coolant-water

Veteran Member Three Rings Jester2893's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Eurodyne Stage 2: (93 with 2 gallons E85) - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Can anyone send me a list of parameters to log to identify why my car is running rich (ie something wrong or tune based) ? I couldn't find the parameters that were suggested to me.

Established Member Three Rings Ford Prefect's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2011 Silver S4, Mercedes Benz R350 ('07 & '11), Suzuki SV1000

Quote Originally Posted by greedy6 View Post
    here is fuel rail pressures, fuel pump pressures, IAT, air mass, etc.

https://datazap.me/u/greedtoad/fuel-...data=1-3-4-6-7

looks like after this last run i'm now getting a misfire on cylinder 6 -- assuming the plug took a beating.. will just put another plug in and drive normal until i get this issue figured out. i enjoy my engine..
    Did you get anything figured out? My timing pull is bad, just looking for options, so far I'm seeing fuel and plugs with a slight possibility of the wrong map (doubtful). I've seen .024 and .026. Can't remember what my gas is but crazy to think it varies that much.

Established Member Two Rings greedy6's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Never did figure it out. I ended up losing cylinder 6 and that was that. I suspect it was running out of fuel... Did you upgrade to a HPFP? if not, maybe you should start there and see were it takes you.
    '10 S4 Prestige 6MT | APR Ultracharger (3.238)

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by greedy6 View Post
    Never did figure it out. I ended up losing cylinder 6 and that was that. I suspect it was running out of fuel... Did you upgrade to a HPFP? if not, maybe you should start there and see were it takes you.
    Well, I guess Iíll add afr to my knock logs and see what happens. Iím almost thinking Iíll do plugs and ensure good gas before I run it hard again.

What you mean you lost 6?

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

Established Member Two Rings greedy6's Avatar
    AZ Member #

My engine failed and the cylinder ended up having a small piece missing on the head of it. So i scrapped the engine and sold the car.
    I guess it could have been anything really but i suspect not enough fuel was being pushed into it from the HPFP. the car went days before i was going to swap it out...
    '10 S4 Prestige 6MT | APR Ultracharger (3.238)

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Ford Prefect View Post
    Did you get anything figured out? My timing pull is bad, just looking for options, so far I'm seeing fuel and plugs with a slight possibility of the wrong map (doubtful). I've seen .024 and .026. Can't remember what my gas is but crazy to think it varies that much.
    It's not as crazy as you think in the New England area. There's notorious bad gas around here even at some more reputable stations. Im chasing it down myself right now.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sbw View Post
    It's not as crazy as you think in the New England area. There's notorious bad gas around here even at some more reputable stations. Im chasing it down myself right now.
    And to think NH doesnít require ethanol. Iíve got some plug changing/re-gaping before I bitch about any gas issues. Although at this point I will be more particular (as I am with every other aspect of my life according to my wife). Suppose I should start filling up before pulling Cramer on how far I can go.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2002%20Avalanche%20Z71

I don't have a log to post at the moment plus I'm using OBD11. If anyone knows how to log the bypass on OBD11 please let me know.
    2010 S4 6MT 3rd gear pull with a Chipwerke Stg1 and Injen intake requesting 2426 hpa and seeing 1682 hpa.
    With it removed its requesting 2426 hpa and seeing 2075 hpa.
    I know It's not much information but would you think that my car is on the oem tune or not?
    Last edited by VenomousGravity; 07-10-2018 at 06:11 AM.

Veteran Member Four Rings RWD2quattro's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Lexus IS250, Volvo 850R, Ford tractor

Quote Originally Posted by whiped View Post
    Copper sparks better than the other plugs people usually use - Platinum, Iridium, etc. But, it doesn't last as long.

I use the Bosch FR5DTC plugs, which is what Nate runs and suggested to me as a fix for the misfires I was having up top last year. I change them out every 10k miles.

Another option are the Brisk Silver plugs that Matt runs, I don't have the product number but those should also spark stronger.

I tested stock plugs gapped all the way down to 0.024" last year and would still miss with WMI turned on. Same with the 9 heat range plugs. No issues so far with the copper ones.
    Iíll try Brisk plugs next, my car misfired like crazy with those Bosch copper plugs. Ro, if you want to try them out, you can have mine. I used them for less than 300 miles and yanked them out.
    Brisk link;
    http://https://www.jegs.com/i/Brisk-USA/084/DR12YS/10002/-1
    2014 S4, Audi Exclusive DRM, 6MT, 034 Stage 2+ E40, DP (3.362), AMS Cooler, AEM meth kit @TB (500cc), Autotech HPFP, ADV. 1 wheels, CR-15, CF low kick spoiler, Deval CF, JHM LWFW/3R, Eurocode, KW V3, ST6 BBK, USP SS clutch line, XPEL full wrap.
    Gone: 2012 S4 Brilliant Black, Prestige, S-tragic.

Senior Member Three Rings Rodizzle's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Misfires on WOT ? Or just Daily driving it ? I has having notable misfires on WOT before with the oem plugs . I have a set of these copper plugs in my car the misfires are gone at WOT But I do get get 4-6 misfire when I first start my car as it idle and drive for couple of minute .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rodizzle View Post
    Misfires on WOT ? Or just Daily driving it ? I has having notable misfires on WOT before with the oem plugs . I have a set of these copper plugs in my car the misfires are gone at WOT But I do get get 4-6 misfire when I first start my car as it idle and drive for couple of minute .
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    At idle, under throttle, light throttle, it didn't matter. Car would stumble/bog down, did some logging and saw a bunch of hits on every cylinder at different RPM's (all over the place). I went back to stock plugs, gapped to .024 and solved most of my issues, my current issue now is LPFP like we talked about. Awaiting Nate's reply for an E40 remap.
    2014 S4, Audi Exclusive DRM, 6MT, 034 Stage 2+ E40, DP (3.362), AMS Cooler, AEM meth kit @TB (500cc), Autotech HPFP, ADV. 1 wheels, CR-15, CF low kick spoiler, Deval CF, JHM LWFW/3R, Eurocode, KW V3, ST6 BBK, USP SS clutch line, XPEL full wrap.

Senior Member Four Rings whiped's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by RWD2quattro View Post
    At idle, under throttle, light throttle, it didn't matter. Car would stumble/bog down, did some logging and saw a bunch of hits on every cylinder at different RPM's (all over the place). I went back to stock plugs, gapped to .024 and solved most of my issues, my current issue now is LPFP like we talked about. Awaiting Nate's reply for an E40 remap.
    I had this when I first switched and replacing my coils fixed it.

I'm going to try the Silver plugs when I switch again in 5k miles.

The latest E40 map (R2.60) should be fine for your PR. I still bleed a tiny bit in 2nd gear. Supposedly he is close to having remote TCU tuning done which will require tweaking all my tunes again lol :)
    Geoff
    '13 S4 - Glacier White | DSG | 034 Stage 2++ | Current Setup
    452WHP / 443WTQ | 11.352 @ 119.26 | 034 Featured User

Active Member Three Rings Morritse's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Stage 2 b8 a5 (sold)

Tuner and I are trying to figure out why I am down 50HP after going from e40 to e85 (all supporting hardware for e85 is installed)

Here's the logs from 2 Dyno runs. Any ideas guys?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Eyw...w?usp=drivesdk

AZ Member #

Sorry if it is posted somewhere but what is all done to the car?

You're pulling timing up top and realistically should be requesting more timing on the full E85 tune.

It might be the tune but you're also leaning out up top.

If you are higher than ~3.0 pulley ratio this is probably because the injectors are maxed out.

Fields to log:
    Equivalence ratio target value (target Lambda, do this vs actual on both banks)
    Fuel pump: actual fuel pressure (low pressure)
    Actual fuel rail pressure (high pressure)
    TI_1_HOM[0] (injector pulse width cylinder 1)
    TI_1_HOM[3] (cylinder 4 which is the last on the fuel line)
    Geoff

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Stage 2 b8 a5 (sold)

Sorry if it is posted somewhere but what is all done to the car?

You're pulling timing up top and realistically should be requesting more timing on the full E85 tune.

It might be the tune but you're also leaning out up top.

If you are higher than ~3.0 pulley ratio this is probably because the injectors are maxed out.

Fields to log:
    Equivalence ratio target value (target Lambda, do this vs actual on both banks)
    Fuel pump: actual fuel pressure (low pressure)
    Actual fuel rail pressure (high pressure)
    TI_1_HOM[0] (injector pulse width cylinder 1)
    TI_1_HOM[3] (cylinder 4 which is the last on the fuel line)
    I see where you're coming from with the injectors, but I don't think that the case. Torque was ~40 lower throughout the entire power band.

Pulley ratio is 3.14

Dual pulley e85 APR cooling system. Autotech hpfp. Custom exhaust (catless). Recently replaced fuel filter.

AZ Member #

Do you have logs from before and what tune?
    Geoff

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I had this when I first switched and replacing my coils fixed it.
    I'm going to try the Silver plugs when I switch again in 5k miles.
    The latest E40 map (R2.60) should be fine for your PR. I still bleed a tiny bit in 2nd gear. Supposedly he is close to having remote TCU tuning done which will require tweaking all my tunes again lol :)
    Hey Geoff, I went thru 3 sets of plugs and 2 sets of coils then ran into issues with SPEC clutch. I'm almost there with my new clutch break in, shortly I will start logging again to check things out and install the AEM meth kit I picked up. It's been a struggle the last few weeks not being able to hammer down

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Stage 2 b8 a5 (sold)

Do you have logs from before and what tune?
    No, I am planning to do logs on the e85 and 91 tune ASAP.

Veteran Member Four Rings kelseysautobody's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Morritse View Post
    I see where you're coming from with the injectors, but I don't think that the case. Torque was ~40 lower throughout the entire power band.

Pulley ratio is 3.14

Dual pulley e85 APR cooling system. Autotech hpfp. Custom exhaust (catless). Recently replaced fuel filter.
    Did you have the Autotech installed on the 91 tune as well? A couple people have posted some about issues after installing it.
    2013 S4 S-tronic - APR intake // KI 200mm crank pulley // EPL Stg II DP 93 + TCU tune // PLM hx // Jokerz Blower // Headers
    11.281 @ 121.58
    1993 URS4 - Work in progress...
    Past: 07 S4 6MT ~ 03 A4 3.0 6MT ~ 99 A4 1.8T

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Stage 2 b8 a5 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by kelseysautobody View Post
    Did you have the Autotech installed on the 91 tune as well? A couple people have posted some about issues after installing it.
    Yes.. what kind of issues

AZ Member #

B8 S4 log thread. Post your VCDS logs here.

Itís discussed in one or two semi-recent threads, briefly. In summation, one or more people had to send their autotech HPFPs back, as they were actually putting out lower pressure than their stock HPFP. QC issue, if I recall. Kelseysautobody may have more to say (not trying to respond for him ).

Veteran Member Four Rings kelseysautobody's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by SGR View Post
    Itís discussed in one or two semi-recent threads, briefly. In summation, one or more people had to send their autotech HPFPs back, as they were actually putting out lower pressure than their stock HPFP. QC issue, if I recall. Kelseysautobody may have more to say (not trying to respond for him ).
    This. I forget what member/thread it was in but Autotech warrantied the faulty part and it took care of the problem.

But since your HPFP was installed prior to switching tunes I doubt it is the cause of your problem.
    2013 S4 S-tronic - APR intake // KI 200mm crank pulley // EPL Stg II DP 93 + TCU tune // PLM hx // Jokerz Blower // Headers
    11.281 @ 121.58
    1993 URS4 - Work in progress...
    Past: 07 S4 6MT ~ 03 A4 3.0 6MT ~ 99 A4 1.8T

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Stage 2 b8 a5 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by kelseysautobody View Post
    This. I forget what member/thread it was in but Autotech warrantied the faulty part and it took care of the problem.

But since your HPFP was installed prior to switching tunes I doubt it is the cause of your problem.
    Yea I doubt it's the hpfp. My best power run was ok e40 with the autotech. And I was running rich as well

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Stage 2 b8 a5 (sold)

Logged on 91 yesterday and was still getting bad timing pull. Here's the logs

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t?usp=drivesdk

AZ Member #

You don't have desired lambda logged, but it seems very similar to the stock fuel request, where 'performance' enrichment isn't happening until later in the rpms. If the enrichment would kick in earlier, timing pull would subside. Timing pull isn't really that bad anyway, and you certainly are not too rich. Splash a little e85 in the tank and I bet most of the timing correction would go away.
    Last edited by sb_gli; 07-14-2018 at 12:51 PM. Reason: if read out of order, it could seem as though I was tuner bashing

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Stage 2 b8 a5 (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by sb_gli View Post
    Your tune's fuel request sucks.

You don't have desired lambda logged, but it seems very similar to the stock fuel request, where 'performance' enrichment isn't happening until later in the rpms. If the enrichment would kick in earlier, timing pull would subside. Timing pull isn't really that bad anyway, and you certainly are not too rich. Splash a little e85 in the tank and I bet most of the timing correction would go away.
    I'm pretty sure the tune itself is fine... All ethanol blends suck equally now, so would this suggest?

AZ Member #

I'm pretty sure the tune itself is fine... All ethanol blends suck equally now, so would this suggest?
    "Fine" is relative and I feel quite certain that the request is not optimal for performance. Add desired lambda to logs for proof.

AZ Member #

Mass knk correction. Could just be the super shitty gas. I agree with dumping like 2-3 gals of E85 in and trying again. That should tell us if it is mechanical or not.

Also, ditch vehicle speed, air mass, requested boost and RFP_AV for something more interesting. Those themselves don't really tell us anything.

Something like: Engine Speed, Actual Boost, Timing Request on all cylinders, IATs, Lambda?
    Geoff

AZ Member #

Mass knk correction. Could just be the super shitty gas. I agree with dumping like 2-3 gals of E85 in and trying again. That should tell us if it is mechanical or not.

Also, ditch vehicle speed, air mass, requested boost and RFP_AV for something more interesting. Those themselves don't really tell us anything.

Something like: Engine Speed, Actual Boost, Timing Request on all cylinders, IATs, Lambda?
    Make sure to add both actual and requested lambda... agree that vehicle speed is totally irrelevant, as is requested boost and RFP_AV if you are not troubleshooting boost bleed off.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Stage 2 b8 a5 (sold)

Make sure to add both actual and requested lambda... agree that vehicle speed is totally irrelevant, as is requested boost and RFP_AV if you are not troubleshooting boost bleed off.
    Ok

I'll do that later today, can you guys give me a full list of parameters to log? If one of you is an expert at this, and can afford to dedicate some time to helping me figure out what is wrong, I am definitely willing to compensate you family.

AZ Member #

Ehhh I'm not too interested in lambda on a pump gas tune. The Ethanol one yes, this one he should be meeting all the fueling requirements easily.
    Geoff

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Stage 2 b8 a5 (sold)

Ehhh I'm not too interested in lambda on a pump gas tune. The Ethanol one yes, this one he should be meeting all the fueling requirements easily.

These were my thoughts as well. It definitely feels like a fuel delivery or ignition issue. How can I tell though?

AZ Member #

Start figuring out what it isn't...
    Geoff

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Stage 2 b8 a5 (sold)

Start figuring out what it isn't...
    That the goal... I really wouldn't know how exactly what do log to do so, let alone interpret it. Like I said, I'd be down to pay you for your time.

AZ Member #

Why not? If you trying to troubleshoot fueling, you want to know what the tune is requesting. In performance tuning, fueling is step 1, regardless of what type of fuel you are using. If actual is following desired, and actual isn't what you'd expect for a performance calibration, then you know the issue is in the tune.

Perhaps you didn't notice that the fuel request isn't optimal @ WOT until after 4,000ish rpms? And maybe you didn't notice that once fueling is optimal timing pull subsides?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Stage 2 b8 a5 (sold)

Why not? If you trying to troubleshoot fueling, you want to know what the tune is requesting. In performance tuning, fueling is step 1, regardless of what type of fuel you are using. If actual is following desired, and actual isn't what you'd expect for a performance calibration, then you know the issue is in the tune.

Perhaps you didn't notice that the fuel request isn't optimal @ WOT until after 4,000ish rpms? And maybe you didn't notice that once fueling is optimal timing pull subsides?
    I 100% did notice that the car feels sluggish at lower RPMs, which definitely isn't characteristic of what I am used to.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Stage 2 b8 a5 (sold)

Ok here are the logs with parameters that you suggesting logging.

I also logged all cylinders for timing pull and had absolutely 0.

Not sure what to make of this, car still feels slow.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

AZ Member #

Ok here are the logs with parameters that you suggesting logging.

I also logged all cylinders for timing pull and had absolutely 0.

Not sure what to make of this, car still feels slow.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
    Cool, super helpful fuel logs.

You're leaning out a bit up top but I think that is a result of the tune and not mechanical. (Injector window gets shorter for some reason)

Any idea what timing request is on this tune? (It doesn't really change which is why I didn't have you log it assuming you know it :) )

If possible try to switch to something with mid 20* of timing and do another set of logs. These parameters are fine for the time being. I'm just trying to rule things out.
    Geoff

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast