Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AZ Member #

Replacement rotor rings for Alcon 355 ?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I checked on replacement rings a while back and was quoted close to $1000 for alcon rings, a little steeper than I thought it would be...is this correct, is this the ballpark price? Add in a few hundred for replacement rotors and I'm close to $1300-$1350. I may be better off buying a lightly used BBK for that and selling these/using for another project.

Also, can other rotor rings be used with the stasis rotor hats....for example these ($220 each):
    http://www.racingbrake.com/355x32mm_p/14041-311k-01.htm

Veteran Member Three Rings joe@vwvortex's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2008 Cayman S, 2014 Q7 TDI and 2000 Boxster S race car

Quote Originally Posted by safab View Post
    I checked on replacement rings a while back and was quoted close to $1000 for alcon rings, a little steeper than I thought it would be...is this correct, is this the ballpark price? Add in a few hundred for replacement rotors and I'm close to $1300-$1350. I may be better off buying a lightly used BBK for that and selling these/using for another project.

Also, can other rotor rings be used with the stasis rotor hats....for example these ($220 each):
    No. Stasis will tell you that they are the only ones who can sell and install replacement rotor rings or one of their retailers. You need to replace all the hardware as well.
    Last edited by blacka4; 03-21-2012 at 09:42 AM.

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

I was also looking into replacement rings for the Alcons due to the steep cost. The other option which may make more financial sense in the long run would be to go with a new hat for that setup. I've been looking into this a lot in the past few days since I was after the Alcon 355 Mono4 but wasn't looking forward to the down-the-road costs. Since I'm new here, not sure if this is against forum rules, but I emailed a rotor manufacturer about the Alcon alternatives and said manufacturer provided info about creating this particular hat + ring option. If you want more details, PM me, or if it's legit to share the name of the place and more details, I'd be happy to, I just didn't want to break any rules with my first post ...

P.S. this forum is immense, I think I've broken the search button with information gathering the past couple of weeks ...

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2000 S4 Sedan, 2001 S4 Avant

DO IT!

I have had good experience using Racing Brake rings with my Stasis hats and Alcon 4 piston calipers on my B5 S4. While Stasis will convince you that you should not do this I am convinced that they just want to sell you overpriced rings for their brake kits. I am on my second set of Racing Brake 355/32 rings for my Alcon brakes on my B5 S4 track car. There is no degradation in performance or wear versus the Alcon rings from what I can tell. If you do get the Racing Brake rings and hardware, be prepared to counterbore the Stasis hat slightly to fit the hardware as the heads are a different shape than the Alcon hardware. I had my local speed shop do this (AMD). Once modified, you probably can't use Alcon rings again on your modified hats, only Brembo rings. I have dozens of track days on this setup and I can say without hesitation that it works great. I love my Alcon calipers, even wear on the pads every single time. I was about to be priced out of the brakes until I decided to try the Brembo rings from RB... now I plan on keeping these brakes forever!

Let us know what you decide to do!

Quote Originally Posted by safab View Post

Jason

14 A6 TDI
    06 Carrera S
    01 S4 Avant

Registered Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

@ ss4s:
    That is who I contacted regarding the compatibility of rings with Alcon hats. RB mentioned that as of now, they have no solution without modification to fit rings to the Alcon hats. However, they also said that if they had enough interest (they needed at least 5 sets = 10 rotors) they would create hats to fit Alcon's offset and to be compatible with the rings you mentioned. Then it would just be a matter of using the significantly lower cost rings as you mentioned.

I ended up deciding against the Mono4 due to overall maintenance / part replacement cost & availability but thought I'd pass on the info.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by ss4s View Post
    DO IT!

I have had good experience using Racing Brake rings with my Stasis hats and Alcon 4 piston calipers on my B5 S4. While Stasis will convince you that you should not do this I am convinced that they just want to sell you overpriced rings for their brake kits. I am on my second set of Racing Brake 355/32 rings for my Alcon brakes on my B5 S4 track car. There is no degradation in performance or wear versus the Alcon rings from what I can tell. If you do get the Racing Brake rings and hardware, be prepared to counterbore the Stasis hat slightly to fit the hardware as the heads are a different shape than the Alcon hardware. I had my local speed shop do this (AMD). Once modified, you probably can't use Alcon rings again on your modified hats, only Brembo rings. I have dozens of track days on this setup and I can say without hesitation that it works great. I love my Alcon calipers, even wear on the pads every single time. I was about to be priced out of the brakes until I decided to try the Brembo rings from RB... now I plan on keeping these brakes forever!

Let us know what you decide to do!
    Thanks! I think I'll go this route.....I don't really care about being able to go back to Alcons. Good thing I saw this thread...I was about to pull the trigger on some Alcons...car is finally running after a while and I need some rotors ASAP.

Veteran Member Three Rings J.the W.'s Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2014 CP M5, 2006 Pathfinder LE

Quote Originally Posted by nyana View Post
    @ ss4s:
    That is who I contacted regarding the compatibility of rings with Alcon hats. RB mentioned that as of now, they have no solution without modification to fit rings to the Alcon hats. However, they also said that if they had enough interest (they needed at least 5 sets = 10 rotors) they would create hats to fit Alcon's offset and to be compatible with the rings you mentioned. Then it would just be a matter of using the significantly lower cost rings as you mentioned.

I ended up deciding against the Mono4 due to overall maintenance / part replacement cost & availability but thought I'd pass on the info.

I just got an e-mail from Warren over at RB and he was saying they just need a few more people looking for the Stasis/Alcon 14" two piece rotor and they will make them. The design is done and the price would be reasonable for the rotor/hat with replacement rings readily available. Lead time would be 6-8 weeks and once they have enough interest they will add the item to their web page.

ily.

Senior Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

i'm interested and in the market for new rotors.
    Last edited by sookiS4; 08-21-2012 at 05:59 PM.

Veteran Member Four Rings EvilllEmpirE's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2001.5 S4 Laser Red Avant, 2014 Q7 S-Line, 2001.5 S4 Imola Yellow Avant

i'd be interested in new Rotor Rings.....assuming I can resuse my current hats and just changing out the hardware?
    Out of Bounds Snowboard Shop
    2520 Rt 22, Scotch Plains, NJ 07076 908-232-4500
    (Nike SB, Vans, Capita, Union, Lib Tech/Gnu, Ride, Oakley, 32 Boots)
    2001.5 Nogaro S4 Avant, AWE/GIAC K04's w/Evil Tweaks
    2001.5 Laser Red S4 Avant, APR, Stoptech, Milltek, Vogtland GT3
    2001.5 Imola S4 Avant, GIAC X, Vogtland, AWE, 993 Turbo Brakes
    2014 Daytona Grey Q7 Prestige, S-Line

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EvilllEmpirE View Post
    i'd be interested in new Rotor Rings.....assuming I can resuse my current hats and just changing out the hardware?
    Evil, if you have Stasis/Alcon hats the rings will require some work to fit. RB is ready to make a ring/hat replacement at a cost less than just rings from Stasis.

Veteran Member Four Rings EvilllEmpirE's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2001.5 S4 Laser Red Avant, 2014 Q7 S-Line, 2001.5 S4 Imola Yellow Avant

Quote Originally Posted by J.the W. View Post
    Evil, if you have Stasis/Alcon hats the rings will require some work to fit. RB is ready to make a ring/hat replacement at a cost less than just rings from Stasis.
    thats even better then! Put me on the list
    Out of Bounds Snowboard Shop
    2520 Rt 22, Scotch Plains, NJ 07076 908-232-4500
    (Nike SB, Vans, Capita, Union, Lib Tech/Gnu, Ride, Oakley, 32 Boots)
    2001.5 Nogaro S4 Avant, AWE/GIAC K04's w/Evil Tweaks
    2001.5 Laser Red S4 Avant, APR, Stoptech, Milltek, Vogtland GT3
    2001.5 Imola S4 Avant, GIAC X, Vogtland, AWE, 993 Turbo Brakes
    2014 Daytona Grey Q7 Prestige, S-Line

Veteran Member Four Rings imola's Avatar
    AZ Member #

i paid about $260/ea for my 328mm rotor rings from Stasis. And another $175 for hardware. $1k is steep, even with the size difference
    sold :(

AZ Member #

I'm in...still havn't baught rotors yet.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Evil and Safab give RB a call and let them know.

Imola, that's a decent price but the problem most of us have is when the time come to replace the rings. The older ones need to be sent back to stasis which means down time and extra costs for shipping.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Just found out the weight of these. 17.5 lbs for the 355x32 assembly.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

OK. The hats are in. They're being built and ready for shipping. Give them a call or send them a message to get in on this.

Established Member Two Rings blueinnewyork's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi A4 B6 1.8T QT

Quote Originally Posted by J.the W. View Post
    OK. The hats are in. They're being built and ready for shipping. Give them a call or send them a message to get in on this.
    Guys - did RB make the rings as bolt on option or does this still require modification of the hat? i might have to call them soon to get my rotor rings replaced.
    A4 B6 1.8TQT | APR Tuned ECU | K04 Turbo | Milltek res catback exhaust | Stasis Alcon Mono4 355mm BBK | APR1 DV | Carbonio CAI | 386cc injectors | APR Snub Mount | APR TIP | OEM Sport suspension | RS4 swaybar | RS4 engine mounts | Apicol SMIC | 18" RS6 wheels | 034 exhaust manifold | 6000k HID's

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi A4 B6 1.8T QT

subscribed.
    A4 B6 1.8TQT | APR Tuned ECU | K04 Turbo | Milltek res catback exhaust | Stasis Alcon Mono4 355mm BBK | APR1 DV | Carbonio CAI | 386cc injectors | APR Snub Mount | APR TIP | OEM Sport suspension | RS4 swaybar | RS4 engine mounts | Apicol SMIC | 18" RS6 wheels | 034 exhaust manifold | 6000k HID's

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    01.5 Laser S4 Avant :: 96 VR6 GTI

I'm interested in what happened with this as well. I will need new rotor rings or rings/hats at some point for my 355 alcons
    USP B6 Avant - Biturbo

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi A4 B6 1.8T QT

Met Allen from Stasis this weekend at Waterfest, he told me that they will provide 15% discount per rotor ring. i am sure if we have enough members then we can get a group discount.

Registered User Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I have a company making me rotor rings for my 328x32 alcons if anyone wants the info let me know.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi A4 B6 1.8T QT

I have 355 and not 328. Can they make 355mm? if so then for how much?

Registered User Two Rings
    AZ Member #

they can make anything you want you just have to spec out the rotor for them.

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Kaizen Tuning View Post
    I have a company making me rotor rings for my 328x32 alcons if anyone wants the info let me know.
    I am interested. What would a price for a pair be?
    00 S4 - PJK04, ev14 550cc, AWE IC, Milltech downpipe, borla exhaust running 24psi

Established Member Two Rings j2ther's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Interested as well, have an alcon mono4 355x32 setup. Keep us posted.

Established Member Two Rings j2ther's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Is this thread posted in the b6 s4 forum as well? If not it should be.

Veteran Member Three Rings Stevos555's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Subaru 2.5 RS

Any updates on 355mm rings?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Subaru 2.5 RS

bump

Veteran Member Four Rings Hyphy's Avatar
    AZ Member #

bump
    Nick
    I'm not driving fast, I'm flying low.

Registered Member Four Rings DxC's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I think girodisc makes some and maybe Adams rotors. Dba might? Someone should ask them bc they sell stoptech rings for 230! A pair

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Subaru 2.5 RS

It's not the rings but the rings that fit the stasis hats. I called alcon and their hats are different as stasis uses a proprietary hat. I think based on prices I was able to search - stasis replacement cost of $800 is not far off from racing brake and purchasing alcon rings directly. As far as I know Adams rings do not fit stasis unless he has updated them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    stg 3 widebody, 1990 miata, '05 gsxr 1000

2nd: give AMD a call (good luck getting a hold of em, takes a few tries). replaced with racing brake rings and their elbow grease, zero complaints.
    stasis had been a real let down the last few years, once they launched their partnerships with the audi dealerships.. they stopped caring about producing performance stuff, especially low margin stuff, and focused on selling wheels/tires/badging for 5k.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Subaru 2.5 RS

Who is AMD? Thanks

Established Member Two Rings bombermon's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Audi S4 B5

try europaparts.com
    I got mine around 600 yrs ago

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Found the original Alcon ones and replacement fasteners (no really!) finally. Thanks for the tips guys. I couldn't decided of the racing brake and others were cheap ones or not and I didn't want to be replacing them every 10 track days like I had to with those freeking Coleman rotors.

http://www.alconkits.com/index.php/C...ngs-discs.html The guys there told me they are stocking the 355s and 370s but will stock others if people start calling....

Veteran Member Four Rings zillarob's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2kS4, 84gli, 84caddy dsl

What brake pads you run? They are are a major factor in rotor life.
    There are only 2 things needed to make an Audi work properly - Duct tape and WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't - Duct tape. If it doesn’t move and it should - WD40.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Subaru 2.5 RS

Quote Originally Posted by RockyRoad View Post
    Found the original Alcon ones and replacement fasteners (no really!) finally. Thanks for the tips guys. I couldn't decided of the racing brake and others were cheap ones or not and I didn't want to be replacing them every 10 track days like I had to with those freeking Coleman rotors.

http://www.alconkits.com/index.php/C...ngs-discs.html The guys there told me they are stocking the 355s and 370s but will stock others if people start calling....
    What's the price for the 355 rings and hardware ? Can these be mated to stasis hats?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Subaru 2.5 RS

Quote Originally Posted by bombermon View Post
    try europaparts.com
    I got mine around 600 yrs ago
    Three guys don't carry this anymore and sent me back to Stasis. I already know what Stasis charges and was looking for alternative prices.

Active Member One Ring
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Stevos555 View Post
    What's the price for the 355 rings and hardware ? Can these be mated to stasis hats?

Yes they bolted on to my Stasis hats. It's on their website. I paid $519 per rotor and about $70 for the hardware. Kind of pricey but I've been down the cheap rotor road. It's not a pretty place.

Veteran Member Three Rings beerock's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    widebody babay

everyone might want to talk to mike owen at girodisc http://www.girodisc.com/Contact-Us_ep_5.html
    2001.5 Audi Laser avant 6 speed Asp stg3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast