Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '14 A6 3.0 TDI, '17 Q5 3.0

'06 A6 Avant Battery Change Question...??

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    After researching which battery to install I came up with a Carquest 49AGM-70, which is a rebaged Deka 9AGM49. The last time I had the car in for service (and a smell of burning wires in my steering wheel) they said that there were 27 stored codes for a steering angle sensor. One of the causes for this code is a dead battery, and when I had the car aligned a screen came up saying that the battery needed to be charged. The battery is over 5yrs old but has never shown any signs of being undercharged. Now I want to change the battery (myself) just in case it's close to its demise but I have a few questions. Is there anything I need to do like hooking up a battery in the lighter socket to save my settings or registering the battery (I read this in a BMW forum) so that the car knows that it's an AGM battery...??? Are there any DIY articles on this subject?

Established Member Two Rings aleccolin's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Not two days ago I installed a Deka AGM in my S4, now my sister calls me from Wisconsin and says her A6 4.2 Quattro needs a battery, so I'm very glad you posted this here. I've not found any DIY articles on battery replacement for the C6 A6's, and quite honestly I'm just going to tell her to buy the Deka or Carquest rebrand AGM and take it to the dealer to have them install it. I've heard of people having electronic problems after a battery install on these cars and would expect the dealer to get it right.

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

when you replace the battery, it is good to program the battery either by the dealer or a VAGCOM tool, so the battery management can actually work properly.