Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Veteran Member Four Rings ThatA4T's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    98 A4 1.8T Quattro, 66 vw bug Rat Rod

Progress and questions... pics

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    As some of you may know, my clutch finally went out on me and since my transmission was bad i decided to pull my engine and trans to do some maintenance and replace transmission and clutch. here are some pics of progress to this point.

i have a few questions that i would love personal advice and pictures on. first, i plan on pulling the headlight washer system out at some point but for right now i just wanna either remove the second tank and cap off the first, or just cap off the second tank. which way is more reasonable? another question is about the pcv delete. i would love to remove the pcv (but not the evap at this time) but cant really find clear pictures or instructions on what to do. i have some info from diys but would love more pics and info! im sure there will be more as i go so i will be posting any questions i have as i go thanks in advance.
    If I hit the switch, I can make that ass drop.

Veteran Member Three Rings euroazfck's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    98 audi a4_ 88 civc hatch "jdm"

lookin good

Veteran Member Four Rings NeedingAnAudi's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    99.5 A4 4.2QM, 01 Nogaro S4 Avant, 15 Q7 TDI Sport Edition

Ok Jordan, this is what I think a catch can setup looks like, since I fail at describing through text lol

Black and Red lines come out of the block from the crankcase breather to the catch can

Green lines go back into the system at the stock location (I've seen some guys just put a little filter here instead or run the line to the bottom of the bay and vent to the ground)

Orange line is the vacuum from the intake manifold at the stock location (I've seen this deleted completely also)

I'm not claiming this is perfectly correct but hopefully for my sake I got it pretty close, hopefully others will reply.
    Brilliant Black 99.5 A4 Project V8
    Nogaro Blue 01.5 S4
    Audi Tech

Alex

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Also the way I ms painted it there is no valve cover vent since AEB did not have one, but if you did have that vent also you would just tie it into either the black or red line.
    Nogaro Blue 01.5 S4
    Audi Tech

Alex

AZ Member #
    My Garage

haha yes i love the diagram lol that actually helped a lot more than your text

AZ Member #
    My Garage

wheres your washer fluid tanks? lol did you leave the second one out?

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2001 Honda CBR600F4i

wait, why 2 catch cans? I thought only one was needed...

AZ Member #
    My Garage

i am in need of the coolant pipe (hard pipe) that goes across the intake mani on the top of the engine to the flange on the back of the head... can someone tell me what this is called or where to get it?

Dealer wants $170 for the coolant pipe and that's not happening anyone have one used?

also need a battery/cowl cover if someone has one, greg@DTH is no longer accepting PM's so im not sure where else to get that from and dealer wants $74 for the big cover then another $40 for just the battery cover
    Last edited by ThatA4T; 01-07-2011 at 09:51 AM.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThatA4T View Post
    wheres your washer fluid tanks? lol did you leave the second one out?
    At the time I was trying to fix a nasty crack in my tank so I had it out of the car. I ended up removing the headlight washer system later but I kept the full tank. Then I found out my sprayers don't work lol.

EDIT: I have a onesie tank not the two like you have.
    Quote Originally Posted by auh View Post
    wait, why 2 catch cans? I thought only one was needed...
    Yes only one can is needed I just wanted to show two different setups.
    Last edited by NeedingAnAudi; 01-07-2011 at 10:19 AM.
    Nogaro Blue 01.5 S4
    Audi Tech

Alex

Veteran Member Four Rings coolgraymemo's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    good progress...
    Santorin/Ebony '00 S4 6MT | K04/K16, Stasis LSD/4:1, Bilstein PSS9, Stoptech, SSR Comps, & more
    '01 S4 Avant 6MT | '00 1.8t Avant | '93 RS2'd S4 | '99.5 1.8t | '01 1.8t | '95.5 S6 Avant

AZ Member #
    My Garage

come on walky answer my questions! haha i know you know it all! i need that damn coolant pipe more than anything. please if u have one laying around let me know

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Da hell did you do to it?
    Nogaro Blue 01.5 S4
    Audi Tech

Alex

AZ Member #
    My Garage

haha it got all bent up in the accident a while back and ive had a leak from it the past month or so it doesnt seal tight because its slightly bent. i tried multiple times after the accident to heat it up and bend it to the correct angle but im done trying that haha time to replace it

thinking about ordering 034 aluminum front sub frame bushings and the 034 snub with bracket to replace my apikol snub
    Last edited by ThatA4T; 01-07-2011 at 11:55 AM.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

bump can anyone help me find a cheaper coolant pipe (metal pipe) that goes from the radiator across the intake mani to the flange on the back of the head?

Veteran Member Four Rings wesleyfbm's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    the 01 a4 tttt and my BMXer

How was it pulling the motor?

AZ Member #
    My Garage

honestly it was cake haha couple hours first day couple hours second day and about 3 hours the 3rd day with lots of cold days in between that i didnt work lol. but it really wasnt too hard it was all painless work and went really smoothly compared to how i usually feel about working on this car. now the problem is going to be getting it back in and hooked up without forgetting something.. but as usual, i found things to spend more money on so it may take a bit longer than expected with ordering parts and waiting for them to arrive

Veteran Member Four Rings walky_talky20's Avatar
    AZ Member #

- Being a 98 manual AEB, your PCV system should be pretty minimal as it is. I don't think you even have a suction jet pump. You've got a block breather pipe that goes into a "T". One side goes to the Turbo inlet pipe (with the little pancake valve), the other side is a PCV valve that goes right to the intake manifold. Nothing much to do there. If anything, you would add a catch can in-line between the "T" and the pancake valve. You could delete the PCV valve and manifold vacuum, but I wouldn't recommend it.
    - If anything, I would recommend you service the PCV system. It is nice and easy to get at with the engine out. Just check it over and maybe clean out the PCV valve and the pipes if you want. Check it for obvious leaks and cracks.
    - Sorry I don't have an extra water pipe. $170 is ridiculous, though. FWIW, ETKA says an automatic AEB uses a different pipe. Although I do not know what the difference is, other than the part number. It seems to me that all the B5 ones were the same, but I can't say for sure. What is wrong with yours?

Also, this picture is bothering me. What the heck is that white tank? Is that an extra washer tank on the pre-facelifts or something? I've never seen it, or at least never noticed it:
    Last edited by walky_talky20; 01-07-2011 at 09:12 PM.
    ^Don't listen to this guy, he's not even a mechanic.
    2001 Laser Red A4 1.8TQM, 5-Speed Swapped, 4.11 Final Drive, APR 93, R8 coil packs, Labree HFC & DP, 2.5" Exhaust, ST Coilovers, 034 RSB, A8 Brakes Front & Rear, 18" RS4 Reps
    2006 Passion Red Volvo V50 T5 AWD 6MT
    "You need to know what you are doing...Its like a rainbow jungle in there." - Redline380

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by walky_talky20 View Post
    If anything, you would add a catch can in-line between the "T" and the pancake valve. You could delete the PCV valve and manifold vacuum, but I wouldn't recommend it.
    That's what my crude photo shows, with two different common mounting points for the can
    Nogaro Blue 01.5 S4
    Audi Tech

Alex

Veteran Member Three Rings Polski's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B7 S-line Avant 2.0TFSI 6SMT

I deleted my second washer reservoir while I had my manifold out.
    I just pulled it all out, and capped off (wine bottle cork) the hose that comes out the bottom of the first reservoir.
    No CEL, no problem. Im just curious if that secondary tank served as a heat sink or something

To walky: Yes that is the secondary tank for windshield washing fluid, its pretty huge.
    MontrealAudiClub

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Polski View Post
    Yes that is the secondary tank for windshield washing fluid, its pretty huge.
    Which models have this? Does it also have a low level sensor, or is it connected to the main tank? Looks like an excellent spot for a w/m tank =)

AZ Member #
    My Garage

That is the secondary tank for the headlight washers only the pump goes only to the headlight washers
    Only as far as I know

AZ Member #

Wow, that must be why my facelift car needs the washer bottle refilled like every 3rd time I use the washer fluid. The original design appears to have a nearly endless reserve!
    2001 Laser Red A4 1.8TQM, 5-Speed Swapped, 4.11 Final Drive, APR 93, R8 coil packs, Labree HFC & DP, 2.5" Exhaust, ST Coilovers, 034 RSB, A8 Brakes Front & Rear, 18" RS4 Reps
    "You need to know what you are doing...Its like a rainbow jungle in there." - Redline380

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I just wish I could use both for my windshield but the lower one only pumps to my headlight washers I thought about having the lower one pump back into the upper one but I'd rather have that extra space

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ricekikr View Post
    Which models have this? Does it also have a low level sensor, or is it connected to the main tank? Looks like an excellent spot for a w/m tank =)
    It is connected by a hose from the first tank but I do not have a washer fluid low indicator anyway

AZ Member #
    My Garage

im going to get a flywheel from the guy i got my tranny from so i will probably pick up that water pipe from him as well i can post some pics of mine in a little while to show you whats wrong... basically it wont seal tight where it meets that flange because it is bent from when i wrecked my car... in the wreck my motor slammed against the firewall and busted that flange and bent that pipe. i heated up the pipe and got it to fit pretty well but it recently started leaking again so while its all out it would be stupid not to replace it

AZ Member #
    My Garage

cleaned tranny and painted

cleaned motor now ready to pull parts for powdercoat

Last edited by ThatA4T; 01-08-2011 at 01:43 PM.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

not that anyone cares to follow this boring stock build haha but i finally decided on a color for my valve cover intake mani and throttle body... they will all be going matte black and my 034 coil cover will be color matched to my car (melange metallic) heres a pic of my bay before to show the changes and ill continue to add up pics and updates regardless of the amout of peoples involvement in this thread haha

i have a black rubber fitting to replace the blue one, and i ended up getting a battery/cowl cover from my brother as a late christmas present. now hopefully i can pick up a flywheel and that coolant pipe from a local person. 034 aluminum subframe bushings and 034 snub with bracket will be ordered tomorrow to finish off my front mounts! That will make my front end complete with all new control arms, tie rod ends, sway bar links, solid axles, 034 street density trans and motor mounts, 034 snub, and 034 subframe bushings. due to the loads of snow we got today, i didnt get any work done and will have to get my parts to powdercoat by mid week hopefully
    Last edited by ThatA4T; 01-09-2011 at 05:38 PM.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

not that anyone cares to follow this boring stock build haha
    I care I swear!
    Nogaro Blue 01.5 S4
    Audi Tech

Alex

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NeedingAnAudi View Post
    I care I swear!
    if you really cared youd send me those new st coilovers for free haha i got all this money in this car and still 4x4 i got blisteins already if someone wants to give me free lowering springs :)

AZ Member #

Loving this build! I have questions:

- How did you clean the motor?
    - Prep for tranny painting? I hadn't thought about doing that. Did it turn out good?

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by walky_talky20 View Post
    Loving this build! I have questions:

- How did you clean the motor?
    - Prep for tranny painting? I hadn't thought about doing that. Did it turn out good?
    motor was cleaned by degreaser and pressure washing as i usually do... all loose wires and plugs taped off or taped into zip lock bags so they did not get wet. tranny was a pain in the ass haha degreased, then pressure washed, then cleaned with brake clean and a tooth brush haha then stood it up on end like the pic and sprayed with engine enamel. took me about 2 hours to tape off the tranny, it doesnt seem like there is much but i am very picky when it comes to painting as i have made my mistakes in the past. it turned out much better than i was expecting, ill try to get some pics of it in the garage and not the sun next time im in the garage. should i spray oil pan with the engine enamel while its off? or is that a bad idea?

AZ Member #

Nah, I'd just polish the pan. lol, jk.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

haha i know its pointless since no one sees it, but so is the transmission in that case haha but i see it so thats all that matters i suppose

Registered Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Good job man, I love stock builds like these where people just clean things up. I would love to tear apart the entire undercarriage on an a4 and just clean and power coat everything so its all clean and like new, super easy and clean to service then.
    BAT B6 A4: GT3582, built AEB head, supertech hardware, inconnel valves, port and polished, IE rods, Spa manifold, Fully rebuilt 01E with JHM kit, s4 drivetrain, custom 3" exhaust, Bilstein PSS9, 3.0L A4 brakes, and the list goes on..

Waiting to install: S4 Rear Bumper, B6 S4 Rear Brakes, 18z front calipers, USP front lip, USP Door Blades, Black Interior, JHM Short Shifter

Looking to buy: 034 Rear Swab Bar + End Links, Black S4 Recaros, S4 Door Blades, Black B7 Center Console

Veteran Member Four Rings Elliott's Avatar
    AZ Member #

This build is sweet. I'm going a similar direction with mine since I plan to own it FOREVER.
    CEO and General Manager of the AZ Pedal Responce Team

AZ Member #
    My Garage

yup haha this car is here to stay lol and the sad part is i feel like i need to get all this out of the way before i really start to upgrade.. coilovers are next on the list but i know ill find stuff that i "need" before haha

AZ Member #
    My Garage

if you really cared youd send me those new st coilovers for free haha i got all this money in this car and still 4x4 i got blisteins already if someone wants to give me free lowering springs :)
    Ok fine, I don't care then
    Nogaro Blue 01.5 S4
    Audi Tech

Alex

AZ Member #
    My Garage

just a quick update just pulled my oil pan to replace gasket and clean pick up tube it was 90% clogged but no hunks of sludge as i expected

pick up tube screen

sorry for the huge pics :/

AZ Member #
    My Garage

im going crazy haha i somehow either lost one of the oil pan bolts or it was not there to start... i wish i would have counted them when i pulled them all off. i pulled it from my engine in the middle of the garage (lots of open space), put all the bolts together to one side, then cleaned pickup tube and replaced gasket. now im missing one i searched everywhere and its not anywhere around where i was working. ive come to the conclusion it was not there to start with

by the way i picked up a flywheel and the coolant pipe i needed and my new snub, and aluminum subframe bushings are on their way. cant wait to get back on the road i now have 0 dollars for powder coat but ill get there haha
    Last edited by ThatA4T; 01-13-2011 at 01:45 PM.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

another pic of the trans

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast