Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Thread: BT Tune Dilemma

Veteran Member Four Rings Turbo Nerd's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B5 A4, B5 S4, C5 Allroad, C5 A6

BT Tune Dilemma

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Ok I'm running a 2871 on a giac k04 tune. VAST quoted me $800-1000 for a custom tune, how much will the Unitronics tune run me (estimate). I know it's worth it to get the vast tune but I'd like to see my other options, custom tune will always be better then a OTS tune but not sure which route I want to go yet.

Veteran Member Four Rings ZimbutheMonkey's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I'm preferential to Eurodyne and the Maestro suite myself. While I know VAST is good as well, at least the Maestro leaves a lot more options open down the road like if you wanted to re-tune for water/meth.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I know about maestro but not to familiar with it. I have great mechanical skills and some tuning skills from school. So eurodyne will hook me up with a base file and I go from there? How much am I looking to spend on a full program of maestro?

AZ Member #
    My Garage

I'm doing some research maestro got me thinking.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Ok Maestro didn't have my engine code under the audi section, they have it under the passat section. Is this ok? So $900 isn't a bad deal compared to if I were to get it tuned by vast for about the same amount of moolah. Damn I hope I won't blow my engine up and the first round haha. Still haven't made my decision, I'd like to hear some insight on members that are using maestro.

Thanks fellas.

Veteran Member Four Rings JumboBlack1.8's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '98 528i

Eurodyne definitely has a file for AWM motors. Contact a Eurodyne support rep and go from there. Make sure you have a discussion with someone about all the details of your setup, and what your goals are. Then they'll write a base file in accordance with those parameters. Many people will tell you to run MAF-less, but I'd suggest going with an MAF. It provides another accurate data sample to tune with. Wish I had one
    2000 Audi B5 S6 ** 4.2L 40v S6 6spd - http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...n-s6-4-2L-swap

Senior Member Three Rings Papa Stone's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    TBSS

you can use a BT file from Eurodyne for 700 and they are great..
    official AWE/GIAC dealer in Puerto Rico
    Chevy Silverado Z71
    Audi A4 Avant(Project Scary)
    http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=270772

Forum Moderator Four Rings A4Rob's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I wasn't even aware Vast made tunes for the 1.8T.
    Instagram r_michals

B5 A4 track car -PVW Nov. 2009.
    B7 A4 2.7T swapped with K04s
    2018 F-150 FX4

Veteran Member Four Rings .Mad Hatter.'s Avatar
    AZ Member #

Email Chris Tapp directly.

What is your exact setup (injectors, MAF, etc.), this will determine whether or not you can actually use a baseline tune, and what that tune is.

Veteran Member Four Rings Seerlah's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I haved an AWM with a Eurodyne 93 flash for my stock turbo (which many don't know he has). Went this route because I planned on using the same tuner for my big turbo kit, when the time comes. This was before the Maestro suite was unheard of (on AZ at least). Now, I am rather set on getting the Maestro suite instead of an upgrade OTS tune. For the AWM, Ctapp uses a 630cc injector file for the GT2xxx family turbos (I am going to go MAFless) and I am not sure what bar fuel pressure. But the Eurodyne ME7 suite (which most def exists for our vehicle) is the way to go. It basically makes your "stock" ECU into a standalone program. His base file will more than likely be the same OTS file used (most logical thing to do), and you can tweek it from there as you choose (I am going to leave this to the professionals; don't want to blow up my car).
    I hate it when my car acts like a little bitch, treating me like a bitch

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '98 528i

Quote Originally Posted by Seerlah View Post
    It basically makes your "stock" ECU into a standalone program.
    Very common misconception.....Just to clarify, there are a number of "standalone" features that Maestro users do not have access to (not yet....to some extent). From what I have read on other tuning forums, programs like Maestro leave out some of the more specific math functions that makes true standalone management a more precise process (way over my head). What Maestro7 can be likened to is Lemmiwinks... but a far more advanced and targeted version of it......standalone is far more difficult, IMO, as it involves a much deeper understanding of how the entire system works.

That being said, if you plan on making further changes to your hardware, Maestro7 can be a great alternative to an OTS flash. As you add new parts, you can dial these parts into the tune on your own. In my opinion, Maestro offers a great learning experience for those that eventually want to experiment with tuning their own cars in the future.
    2000 Audi B5 S6 ** 4.2L 40v S6 6spd - http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...n-s6-4-2L-swap

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by A4Rob View Post
    I wasn't even aware Vast made tunes for the 1.8T.
    They will custom tune anything. I talked to them before about a custom tune on a mk6 gti (quoted 600) and my cousins 95 S6 w/ built motor and gt35r (quoted 800-900). VAST is 25 min away from me and it's Lot easier to deal with someone local then over the phone or Internet.

And thanks everyone else for the info, I guess there is lots of options available and one doesn't seem better than the other which is a good and bad thing (bad because my head will hurt what to pick lol).

I will be selling my cxracing front mount and ATP turbo mani real soon, probably fueling too so I will let you guys know.

Again thanks for the info I'm used to the b5 s4 and a little new to the a4 game.

Forum Moderator Four Rings biketsai's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    01' A4 1.8TQM;15' Wrangler

If vast is local to you, Id go with that! They have some proven stuff for S4's.
    BetaAlphaTau Member #12
    01' A4 1.8TQMS 5spd swapped
    GT2871R|CTAPP MAFless|034 EM|Godspeed FMIC|APR 2.5"|EVO MS DV|CM FX400-LWFW
    18" RS4 Reps.|S4 Front/Skirts/Seats/Brakes|RS4 Grill|CF Trim
    Stasis SS|LLTEK Tower|KW F/R Sways|Profec Spec 2
    My 5-Speed Swap DIY
    - B6 USP
    Chris:Mod|PM me with any questions

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    '98 528i

Def go with Vast. I'd take a custom dyno tune from them any day, if I had the option

AZ Member #
    My Garage

They don't have a dyno sometimes they rent out a dyno I think, but they forsure don't have one. Shit if they had a dyno I'd be spending some mooooney let me tell you. I need to go to vast sometime this week so I can pick up my wire harness and filter for my walboro 255 (20 bucks not bad), while I'm there if Mike isn't busy I'll have a chat with him. If I deciede to go with VAST I will have everything installed before I go to get tuned.

Some things have been ordered and some have not. I am going with a treadstone bar and plate intercooler (not yet ordered), different turbo mani (not yet ordered) (I want to go with a external wastegate), fx400 clutch (ordered) with resurfaced flywheel, I've got new motor, tranny and diff mounts on the way. One thing not sure of is what injectors I will be running, right now I have 42lb green giants but I might want to go with bosch EV14's. So before I spend money on tunning I want to get everything needed then I will hit the streets hard !

Thanks fellas.

Veteran Member Four Rings .Mad Hatter.'s Avatar
    AZ Member #

the injectors will likely depend on which tuning you opt for. if you choose vast speak to them about injectors.

Veteran Member Three Rings zdriver's Avatar
    AZ Member #

I think the vast tune sound like a good idea but I also just did a quick read on maestro.. interesting stuff and deff allows you to make some serious changes