Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2004 Allroad 2.7T

brake wear sensor, and pad recomendations

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I have done extensive searching and I have not found out how to tell if your car has a brake wear sensor or not. I have a 1998.5 2.8L quattro. I took the driver side front tire off (i read the sensor should be on the inside pad of driverside front pads). Could not find any wires going to the pads, but just to be sure I removed the passanger side and did not see any less/diffrent wiring/tubing. This leads me to beleave that I do NOT have a sensor. But being the anal person I am is there a way to check the vin or a sticker in the car or something to see exactly?

My second question is the pads I am looking at are:
    http://www.machv.com/cabobrpa.html -- if there is NO sensor
    http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/...bcategory=Pads -- hawks if there is NO sensor
    http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/...bcategory=Pads -- PBR ceramic if there IS a sensor

has anyone had any experince with these pads? The ones that look the most promising are Carbotech's bobcat. I read one good revew but nothing on the forum about them. If anyone has any experince with these pads please throw in your comments. I thought about upgrading my rotors to sloted like my last car but....it created a ton of dust off, and I am not sure it helped my stoping any more than just some really good pads. What do you guys think? Should I stay blank and get some sweet pads or wait and get some slotted and deal with the dust off. Thank you for any input.
    cheers,
    jent

AZ Member #

Jent, I have a 98.5 1.8 and it didn't have the sensors.
    Right now I am using the Hawk HPS for street use, I like them a lot, they can be a tad bit noisier than the stock or Mintex Red Box but well worth the swap IMO. also check out this informal pad comparison:

http://www.pure-motorsport.com/produ...php?pageKey=10

Rotors: if you are not planning on tracking your car, the slight advantage of a slotted rotor probably won't be missed. but for a price not much more than stock, I've used ATE Powerdiscs which have the orbital slots. they've worked well.

Registered Member Two Rings PearlWhtA4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    97 Pearl White A4 1.8T

Your right the 97-98 audis don't have sensors, and i have Mintex REd box and love them, but i have heard lots of good things about the Hawks. Well hopefully whatever setup you choose works out for ya.
    Current Mods:
    AutoSpeed Test Pipe
    18" RS4 Replicas
    Borla Cat-Back Exhaust w/downpipe
    Smoked Tailights
    Smoked 1pc Headlights
    V&S Short Shifter
    Baileys BOV
    K04 Turbo Upgrade
    VIS CF HOOD
    PUREMS SNUB MOUNT
    M3 Lip Spoiler
    Mintex Red Box
    Zimmerman Cross-drilled Rotors
    Rieger Kit
    FK Silverline Plus Coilovers installed best suspension i ever had.

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

You do not have wear sensors.

I run the Carbotech Bobcats. I've been very happy with them. They last forever, are very low dusting. They had a light squeel at very slow speeds with low pedal pressure, but that went away after about 20k on the pads.

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

i would assume that if the 1998 2.8 doesnt have it, then i guess the 1996 2.8 wouldnt have it as well?

thanks

peace
    DBC ownz joo!! <- Wow what year is that from??