Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Four Rings 4A Play's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Radio in safe mode after battery replacement. No code in book. Options?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Audi wants $59 to tell me the code for my own damn radio. Naturally I have every single piece of paper the car came with but the radio card.

Do I have any options here guys?

Thanks!
    Self made, NOT Mommy paid.
    2001 1.8 qtm, GT2781R, 680cc Siemens, 3" turbo back, Autopower, Mafless Stage 3 Unitronics, Tial 38mm external wastegate, STS, Corbeau seats

Veteran Member Four Rings flynnr's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    1969 chevelle SS 454 convertible

Re: Radio in safe mode after battery replacement. No code in book. Options?

im in the exact same boat as you... i even ordered the tools to take out the radio to get the numbers on back to have another member on here get the safe code for me... but i cant get the damned thing out even... any help appreciated...

Veteran Member Four Rings 99blueb5's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    01 S4, 99 A4

i know theres a guy on here that will look up the code for it for you, use the search button, you will find something
    99 A4 1.8TQM:
    APR Stage 3 GT28rs kit, CM FX400 6puck, 3" downpipe, Nuespeed catback,Nuespeed short shift, Cxracing fmic, Forge007 DV, H&R coilovers, APR snub mount, gasket ported head, VDO guages, e codes, 6k's, Fiberimages CF hood/trunk, A8 BBK, IE Rods

00 B5 S4
    Vast stage 3, Rs4 airbox, ko4's,borla cat back, neuspeed sways, statis coils, jhm fmic, SSAC Dp's

Veteran Member Four Rings Seerlah's Avatar
    AZ Member #

quattro16

AZ Member #

One of my manuals in my owners folder has a sticker in it with all the options, VIN, paint codes, man. date, and other random numbers. Nothing is labeled though. Is the radio code on this sticker or is clearly marked somewhere as a radio code?
    2001 1.8 qtm, GT2781R, 680cc Siemens, 3" turbo back, Autopower, Mafless Stage 3 Unitronics, Tial 38mm external wastegate, STS, Corbeau seats

Veteran Member Three Rings b5andm3's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Take your VIN and title to dealership. They should be able to give it to you for free.
    2000.5 A4Q - 2871r / 1.9L Stroked / IE Rods / JE Pistons / 3.5" TBE Exhaust / Forge MBC / 630cc Injectors / Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump / VR6 MAF / Unitronic Tune / CM FX600 / ECS N75 Race Valve / ECS 9lb Alum Flywheel / Forge TIP / Forge DV / ARP Head Studs / BBS LMs / RS4 Front Bumper / Hagus Mirrors / Brembo BBK / RS4 Shift Knob / JL Audio Speakers, Subwoofer & Amplifier / Clarion NX409 / HR Race Springs / Evolution Racewerks FMIC

AZ Member #

^Nope they want $59

Veteran Member Three Rings b5andm3's Avatar
    AZ Member #

its a free service. Tell the manager you're going to call Audi of NA and make sure they hear about it.
    2000.5 A4Q - 2871r / 1.9L Stroked / IE Rods / JE Pistons / 3.5" TBE Exhaust / Forge MBC / 630cc Injectors / Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump / VR6 MAF / Unitronic Tune / CM FX600 / ECS N75 Race Valve / ECS 9lb Alum Flywheel / Forge TIP / Forge DV / ARP Head Studs / BBS LMs / RS4 Front Bumper / Hagus Mirrors / Brembo BBK / RS4 Shift Knob / JL Audio Speakers, Subwoofer & Amplifier / Clarion NX409 / HR Race Springs / Evolution Racewerks FMIC

AZ Member #

I was told that they need to call it in to Audi USA and that the dealer is actually chargered by them and they need to be reimbursed. Of ocurse, over the phone, by the service manager. What all do they need? VIN and trim right?

Active Member Two Rings mrsvanur1's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    99.5 A4 5 Spd. Quattro

How long was your battery disconnected for? Im trying to get my radio into safe mode.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

why would you want to do that?! ^ i had it disconnected for an hour or two

AZ Member #

8 minutes. Thats all it took me to swap the battery.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

ok well everyone says to "SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH" when someone asks a question that there are obviously answers to, so i am going to go back to all my posts about this damned radio code thing and post my end result... you should all read this it is very helpful... (so sorry if the front page is loaded with radio code stuff today!)

i had the same problem as you fools for about 3 months... yes, im in college and have been driving to my girlfriends place (1 hour away) fairly often and back home (2 hours) occasionally with NO RADIO because of that damn stupid audi safe mode...

first off i bought the little keys to take out the radio... i have taken many a radio out in the past 8 years and have never, ever had a problem (when using the proper keys). well i couldnt get mine out! i made a post on here trying to figure it out but no luck...

so a week or so later on a sat i drove the 30+ mins to the nearest audi dealership, and their service department was closed, but one service guy happened to be just about to leave so i caught up to him and asked him about it... he told me they would have to take the radio out and do all this shit with the VIN and AUZ# on the back of the radio which would be "a half hour atleast" ($50 or more) this kinda pissed me off i was hoping they would just do it.... but like everyone else with this problem they wouldnt...

i then tried another set of keys hoping mine were just off a little... again didnt work...

so, me being very frustrated at this point (about a week ago now) i randomly was watching an episode of dexter and decided to call up carosel audi in the twin cities (where my car was bought new) (i am 3rd owner) anyways i got a service guy on the phone and politely told him i had been working on my car, took the battery out for a bit and then my radio has been in safe mode ever sence... well he just said you should go out to your car and read me off the VIN number from your car...

i went out and read the VIN to him and about a minute later he says "ok here we go your radio code is 1477" and i said ok thanks a lot and he said youre welcome and i hung up the phone in disbelief. sprinted outside to my car pushed in those 2 buttons and then typed in 1477 and pressed the 2 buttons again and my radio fking turned right on!!!

wow i was so happy. i couldnt believe i didnt try that to start off (the reason i didnt was because i read on here that they woudnt do it like that, and couldnt even do it like that ) but it worked !

so morale of the story is that you should just call in a dealership and tell them you need your radio code pulled and you know they can do it haha (maybe drop the line of you need the radio code to sell the car to a friend so you can go into their dealership and buy a new audi, but this is holding the sale back ;) )

you might need to call the dealership that your car was originally bought at though? i dont know but that worked for me.

good day hope this helped