Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 54 of 54 FirstFirst ... 444525354
Results 2,121 to 2,131 of 2131
    Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2019 Cayman GTS, 2016 Forester XT, 2013 S5, 2011 A4 avanti, 2004 TSX

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I currently have a Thule Pulse Alpine. I originally like its sleek flat style and cheap. But now I am regretting and want to get another one for my B8 avant. The Pulse is good to hold ski but that's it! when I tried to use it to do some moving, it doesn't seem able to carry stuff due to its low profile! and because it is too long, it hit my hatch (I have a RS4 spoiler). So now I am deciding between thule hyper XL or thule motion XT XL. I kind of like the sleek low profile looks on the hyper XL but I am afraid I will be running into the same problem that not tall enough to carry stuff and too long that may hit my hatch spoiler. Also I know motion is newer design than the hyper. So did anyone every compare these 2 models?
    IMG_20170811_123546_619.jpg
    2019 718 Cayman GTS 6MT
    2016 Subaru Dark Grey Forester XT touring
    2013 Audi Phantom Black S5 6MT Sport Diff, 20" BBS CH-R, Navi, B&O, PSS10, AK, EC sway, Alcon BBK, RS grille & Ecode
    2011 Audi Deep Sea Blue A4 Avant prestige, 19" OEM Ti rotors, PSS10, AK, sway, RS style grille + rear spoiler, Votrex diffusor
    2004 Acura Premium White TSX 6MT

Established Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    05 Subaru LGT (HTA71)

Here's a comparison chart from Thule that lists the dimensions of their boxes (see the attached file). I had to screenshot it to attach it so it's a bit blurry. The upload was being weird and I couldn't find it on Thule's website anymore.
    Attached Images
    > 2015 Glacier White allroad P+ <
    > Airlift 3P <> SPC CAs <> Vossen VFS-2 Satin Bronze <
    > Magnaflow CBE <
    > RS4 FBSW <> Piano Black Trim <> BFI Shift Knob <
    > NGP Rearguard <

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2019 Cayman GTS, 2016 Forester XT, 2013 S5, 2011 A4 avanti, 2004 TSX

Quote Originally Posted by Allthea View Post
    Here's a comparison chart from Thule that lists the dimensions of their boxes (see the attached file). I had to screenshot it to attach it so it's a bit blurry. The upload was being weird and I couldn't find it on Thule's website anymore.
    Thanks! it is a nice chart!
    2019 718 Cayman GTS 6MT
    2016 Subaru Dark Grey Forester XT touring
    2013 Audi Phantom Black S5 6MT Sport Diff, 20" BBS CH-R, Navi, B&O, PSS10, AK, EC sway, Alcon BBK, RS grille & Ecode
    2011 Audi Deep Sea Blue A4 Avant prestige, 19" OEM Ti rotors, PSS10, AK, sway, RS style grille + rear spoiler, Votrex diffusor
    2004 Acura Premium White TSX 6MT

Active Member Two Rings bellinghampster's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B7 A4 Avant 6mt, Yamaha Zuma 2t 70cc

Repainted the Thule box this weekend with a desert mountain sunset sort of themeIMG_20181021_160821.jpegIMG_20181021_160844.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel using Audizine mobile app

AZ Member #

I've always wanted a white box to go with my white Audi. Initially I wanted to buy the Thule Atlantis, since those are glossy and have been painted before with great results. Unfortunately, they're super hard to find, and slightly off size for what I wanted. I ended up with the Thule Force XL, which is perfect in size and design, the only flaw was the textured finish, which everyone says you shouldn't paint. I used it for a while, and didn't mind the matte black look, but over time, the finish on the box stained. A combination of road salt and sun damage has stained it quite a bit, so I decided to try and paint it. I went with Dupli-Color Custom Wrap Removable Coating, Gloss White. It took 14 cans, $140 dollars and after day 1, it looks great, the verdict is still out on wether or not it'll hold up. Since it's removable, worst case, I'm out $140 and just peel it off when it starts to fall apart, worth the risk to have a white box for a while! Will update in the future in case anyone else wants to try this.

Build thread: 2014 Audi Allroad
    Instagram: @ridesbypeter

Previous Audis:
    2004 Audi A4 Avant 3.0
    2003 Audi A3 Avant 1.8T

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    05 Subaru LGT (HTA71)

Looks great!

Anyone have thoughts on box position vs. MPG? Meaning, pushed forward, pushed backward, etc.?

Initially I had my Thule Motion XT Alpine pushed all the way forward and it sticks pretty far out over the windshield but doesn't interfere too much with the hatch. I figured because it was sticking out so far it would cause worse MPG since the air will get hooked under the nose sticking out.

I've since moved it back so it's barely over the edge of the windshield, but now it interferes with the hatch where the hatch only opens to be parallel with the roof line so I have to duck pretty far to get under it... been kind of annoying and won't be great in the winter when I'm using the back for putting on ski / snowboard boots, getting geared up, having midday beers, etc.. Though it will be kind of an awning if it's snowing.

I thought the further back setup would be better but it's seeming I'm barely getting 20 MPG on 93 octane. I've measured this mileage on a Boston to NYC (really NJ but just outside) where I'm getting maybe 320mi per tank. I was driving mainly in 6/7 gear and going 80ish (+/- 10 depending on need). The first long drive I did when I moved the box forward seemed to get great MPG but I think I spent most of it less going less than 70.

I didn't really measure the mileage when the box was forward. I guess I could just slide it and reset the counter.

Anyway - thoughts, anyone?
    > 2015 Glacier White allroad P+ <
    > Airlift 3P <> SPC CAs <> Vossen VFS-2 Satin Bronze <
    > Magnaflow CBE <
    > RS4 FBSW <> Piano Black Trim <> BFI Shift Knob <
    > NGP Rearguard <

Veteran Member Four Rings DownhillA4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

^ I notice a big drop in MPG once I sit above 80mph with my Thule Atlantis 1600 on the roof of my b7 avant. If I'm below 75mph, MPG goes up and stays relatively decent. I have mine pretty centered, mounted far enough back that I have maybe 1-2" gap between hatch fully opened and the box.

Once I hit the VT/NH/NY mountains, mileage drops regardless. :)
    Tri-state Foliage Cruise 2018
    IG: @downhill_a4
    @I_like_your_box

"If you are a true automotive enthusiast whom loves their car,
    you learn to catch rides to parties and leave your car at home."- dougyfresh

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

Just a heads up, REI has 20% off Yakima racks, roof boxes, and rack accessories good thru 11/19
    2013 Allroad Premium + | Ice Silver Metallic/Black | B&O | Carbon Atlas | S - Line Comp FBSW | APR Stage 1 E85 | Airlift 3P | SPC Adjustable Control Arms | CR-15 | Ti 20X10.5 BBS CH-R ET25| 255/35 MPSS | blah blah blah

Established Member Four Rings BeerBrent's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 A4 Avant

Quote Originally Posted by makisupa View Post
    Just a heads up, REI has 20% off Yakima racks, roof boxes, and rack accessories good thru 11/19
    Thanks for the heads up!
    What's the consensus best Yakima box for the Avants?
    Doesnt look like Yakima offers any in white.
    I'm as cool as a cucumber in a bowl of hot sauce.

Senior Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #

I have used both Yakima and Thule and prefer Thule.

Current Yakima boxes also arenít very appealing.

I know itís a roof box but Thule seems to have nicer designs.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by f_399 View Post
    I have used both Yakima and Thule and prefer Thule.

Current Yakima boxes also arenít very appealing.

I know itís a roof box but Thule seems to have nicer designs.

Sent from my iPhone using Audizine
    Agree and we have one of each.

Page 54 of 54 FirstFirst ... 444525354