Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Casa Stg 3 S4

For those that know what they are doing with car stereo installs.....i need help

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Like the title says. I have another stereo that i might want to switch in my car, but i suck at this kind of stuff. the ceck that is in my car right now i had a cousin help me with. I know i can definately do this with help from the boards. ill just post the pics here with my questions.

So the stereo unit has an AV receiver, and then the head unit. each one has a different wiring harness, but most of the connections are the same(ground, power, brake switch, and lightwing switch terminal). the harness for the av reciever just adds a wire to the ignition switch and amps. so do i just use the harness off the av reciever since that will connect to the head unit, or do i also need to hook up the head unit wiring. im just confused on if i need to use both sets of wires completely like that. it doesnt make sense that i woudl have to do 2 brake switch connections, 2 grounds, and 2 lighting switch terminals...but then again i have no clue about hooking this crap up.

here are pics from the manual.....they are bad but you get the idea

head unit:

av receiver:

heres how the 2 connect. bad picture but the right piece is the head unit(sorry for the blurry pic), and the left one is the av reciever. i edited all the extra junk out that i dont have.

hopefully someone could help me. Im trying to do this myself without getting my cousin to do it. its time i learned on my own....or learned more about it anyways. thanks
    Past (in order): Hibiscus Red B5 A4 ,2003 Audi RS6, B6 s4, UrQuattro, Urs4, Nogaro sport B5 S4 avant, Silver stg 3 B5 s4, 2010 A6 Avant prestige

Present: Casablance White stg 3 B5 S4 avant, 2002 Audi S6

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Casa Stg 3 S4

Re: For those that know what they are doing with car stereo installs.....i need help

also, if i want to power it up to make sure the head unit is working....is there a way i can do that without hooking it up to the car? i have never used this thing, its just been sitting here for like 2 years. i want to make sure it works first.
    Past (in order): Hibiscus Red B5 A4 ,2003 Audi RS6, B6 s4, UrQuattro, Urs4, Nogaro sport B5 S4 avant, Silver stg 3 B5 s4, 2010 A6 Avant prestige

Veteran Member Four Rings audiFUEGO's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2001.5 A4 1.8t QM

Re: For those that know what they are doing with car stereo installs.....i need help

that looks like an Avic manual

Well basically the only thing that plugs into your cars audi harness is the headunit. The stow-away unit gets plugged into the headunit. There are someother stuff that get plugged into the stow-away, such as speedo pulse, reverse relay, and anything AV related such as an iPod that you can connect thru AV cables/ IP-BUS.

The power..............(*double checks pictures*).... ok i dont think you have an actual headunit. I think what you think is a headunit is actually just a DVD player. You would need a unit compatible, and a moniter, to make it work. I think.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2001.5 A4 1.8t QM

wait.....

that is pretty weird.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Casa Stg 3 S4

the head unit is a dvd player, the other part is the av receiver. lol i wish it was an avic....this i got from a buddy a long time ago but i never used. the unit is a pioneer avh-p7480dvd as seen here....http://www.mmxpress.com/Pioneer/avhp7480dvd.htm

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Casa Stg 3 S4

bump

Veteran Member Four Rings onemoremile's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    99.5 A4 Avant, 01 allroad

I haven't done installs in years so that might be different that the old stowaway Alpines I dealt with. Those would have the ground, constant power, and switched power for each unit. Ground has to go to a real metal ground point since grounding through the harness causes problems in VWs and Audis. Constant power goes to the wiring harness or to the battery and be sure this line is fused close to the power source. Switched goes to the harness or the 75x terminal above the clutch pedal.
    Jim

We cannot achieve the future by being timid. It requires aggressive imagination.

I Do Werk.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2001.5 A4 1.8t QM

what kind of problems does it cause to ground through the harness? ^^

Veteran Member Four Rings onemoremile's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    99.5 A4 Avant, 01 allroad

One that I can remember off the top of my head was an older Passat with a Sony ES tape deck and changer. The deck was fine until we added the changer and then it went all wonky. The tuner got really wierd, the changer wouldn't show up, some interior lighting got wierd, and there were other little "ghost in the machine" problems. Ran the ground to real steel and everything worked like it should.

I think the problems stem from VW/Audi's use of amplified antennas. Even with the properly powered antenna adapter the harness grounds just seem to do weird and otherwise unexplainable things. I've never had a problem when grounding to real steel.
    Jim

We cannot achieve the future by being timid. It requires aggressive imagination.

I Do Werk.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Casa Stg 3 S4

Quote Originally Posted by onemoremile View Post
    I haven't done installs in years so that might be different that the old stowaway Alpines I dealt with. Those would have the ground, constant power, and switched power for each unit. Ground has to go to a real metal ground point since grounding through the harness causes problems in VWs and Audis. Constant power goes to the wiring harness or to the battery and be sure this line is fused close to the power source. Switched goes to the harness or the 75x terminal above the clutch pedal.

im thinking i am going to need to hook them both up from what it looks like. worst case scenario i can bring the manual up to car toys and ask them.