Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Stage 3 Forum Advertiser Four Rings jaybquick@JHM's Avatar
    AZ Member #

JHM GT28 turbo project (VAST GT 600 kit) Dan's record setting K03 car is the specimen

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hey guys wanted to let you all know that we just started a GT28 turbo project S4. (the VAST GT 600 kit) We will be attempting this on a bone stock motor, so it will not be a max effort buildup. We want to see what we can do on a budget with no motor work. Obviously in time we will have to build a motor when we want more power and to run more boost. Or blow it up in the process. But for now we are limited by Dan's (Bertworks) budget. Which has to be pretty large for even what we are doing. HAHA.

For more info on our project car, look at the second car on our projects page. -> http://jhmotorsports.com/projects/

135mph + traps or bust.

NOTE: We are not currently "officially" selling the fueling or turbo kit until ours and VAST's R&D is done. I need to spend a lot of time making it run well on 91 octane and other parts in the kit need to be finalized. However VAST and I can produce cars for local customers that can drop off their cars for a period of time. It is just not a kit at this point and still requires custom tuning and lots of fabrication.

Got the Motor out, here are some pics. Just waiting on the rest of the parts to start the work.

The legendary 147k 12.28 @ 114mph K03s from Dan's car!!

Details/History on the setup and info on VAST's GT28 powered car

-The kit has INTERNAL waste gates, not external

-VAST's car has RS4 intercoolers

-VAST's engine is a BONE stock 2.7L 80k mile short block. NOT a max effort 3.0L build up. It does have RS4 heads, cams, intake, etc.

-The car was originally completed in 2005 and VAST was not able to move further with the project since GIAC was unable to help them tune something with that kind of power. Now that Kurt (a ford racing engineer) is backing their software (same guy I use as well) they were able to finally make some progress on the tune. I look forward to contributing by ironing out a 91 octane tune with Kurt

-The headers are longtube headers based off of a Lincoln 3.5L twin turbo concept car. Kurt from VAST works at Ford and spent a year on the lincoln project twin turbo car. He learned a lot about long tube header design for twin turbo V6s and basically applied a multi million dollar R&D to the 2.7L S4 motor. Hence the fact that they are doing what they are doing with a full interior and full exhaust car with a crappy launch.

-The lincoln 3.5L twin turbo concept car motor that the VAST GT kit is based off of.

-The VAST GT600 car with a strikingly similar design (just the turbos are moved to the back and other details to fit it in the car)

-VAST GT600 kit motor out of the car.

-This is the only GT kit that I am aware of that actually has some serious R&D in the header design to make more power with less boost. Not just some headers made to stuff everything in the stock location. The header length and pipe diameters have hundreds of hours invested in them for maximum power and efficiency. That is why we are backing this kit.

Beta Tune Track Results with VAST's car. Check out how the 131mph has a certain half track speed and look at the 134mph slip that is missing the final trap but has a higher half track showing that they must have got at least 133mph. The track kicked them out for running as fast as they did, so they didn't put the MPH on it.

-Mike at VAST shifted the car at or below 7400 rpm. This was the first time out with a Beta tune and only 23 psi boost.

Oh and the video Kurt at VAST Made: http://jhmotorsports.com/GT600/VAST_...34mph_trap.wmv

JHMotorsports AZ tuner spotlight VIDEO
    Check out our 11 and 10 second passes on YouTube

B8 S5 4.2l - JHM Stage 1 SC Kit (ET: 11.8 @ 119mph) -- B6 S4 - JHM Stage 2 SC Kit (ET: 11.1 @ 128mph) JHM Nitrous (ET: 12.29 @ 117mph) - JHM Bolt Ons -ALL MOTOR (ET: 12.70 @ 111mph) -- B5 S4 - JHM RS6-R (ET: 10.8 @ 130mph)

AZ Member #

Re: JHM GT28 turbo project (VAST GT 600 kit) Dan's record setting K03 car is the spec

Nice man, to bad we never saw 11.XX out of Dans car, but those Gts will do the trick im sure :).

Still waiting on that trans rebuild video!! :). J/k man, i know your swamped.
    2001 S4 6sp...has a few goodies...and JHM shifted

Tons of parts for sale..

GIAC A box ECU for sale-350shipped.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170072

AZ Member #

Re: JHM GT28 turbo project (VAST GT 600 kit) Dan's record setting K03 car is the spec

Quote Originally Posted by AB18 View Post
    Nice man, to bad we never saw 11.XX out of Dans car, but those Gts will do the trick im sure :).

Still waiting on that trans rebuild video!! :). J/k man, i know your swamped.
    Yeah, I need to share a pic of his passenger turbo though, it had a wasted compressor wheel. That is probably what kept the 11.XX away. However, the guy who owns the machine shop that builds my shifters should be getting a S4 soon for me to do my evil work on and hopefully I can talk him to letting me drive it to an 11.x once we put our recipe on it. Since I get to fix it if I break it I think I have a good shot. (Gee I wonder why he would be getting one of those). HAHA.

As for the trans build video, I have PinoyS4 lined up to help me get it done. He wants a pre built tranny done so he can just swap it out and give me back his when he is done. Since I have a spare laying around for this purpose it works out great. We are working towards getting his car to back up my times as well. I switched him to my Tuning after his 11.51 pass. We have made some progress with his setup and with a fresh clutch and trans it should be fun.

B8 S5 4.2l - JHM Stage 1 SC Kit (ET: 11.8 @ 119mph) -- B6 S4 - JHM Stage 2 SC Kit (ET: 11.1 @ 128mph) JHM Nitrous (ET: 12.29 @ 117mph) - JHM Bolt Ons -ALL MOTOR (ET: 12.70 @ 111mph) -- B5 S4 - JHM RS6-R (ET: 10.8 @ 130mph)

Registered Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

We don't need another new GT car thread...

...oh wait, yes we do

B5 S4 goes HARD in 2008. Look forward to seeing some nasty traps.
    Alex

2001.5 Nogaro Blue S4, 6-Speed, ARD 2.7T 68mm HTA GT2868 Kit

Veteran Member Four Rings S4 in_lowplaces's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2001 Stg 3 Giac s4, 2000 Stg1 S4 APR, 2000 Stg2 S4 revo. All silver

Quote Originally Posted by lil' is 300 View Post

no shit huh, gt's are the new k04's... well not really but you guys get the point.
    2000 silver B5 S4 k04 stg 3 - sitting in my garage
    2002 silver b5 s4 stage 2 revo - totaled
    2001.5 silver apt stg 2 b5 s4. - sold
    2011 ctsv 730whp - daily

Stage 3 Forum Advertiser Three Rings Dan@JHM's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 B7 RS4

im not really into these hype threads and what not but i am excited to get my car done and get back to the track as soon as possible.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by bertworks View Post
    im not really into these hype threads and what not but i am excited to get my car done and get back to the track as soon as possible.
    *cue eye of the tiger music*
    Alex

Veteran Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

I dont think its fair to say that GIAC cant tune something with that kind of power...look at the evo 750 kit for porsche...If Im not mistaken, they have tuned those to 800 hp on a consistent basis. Just my ten cents. I just installed your shifter by the way and its pretty darn nice. Best of luck.

Forum Moderator Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Berts factory freak car is going to be a GT freak now.

Damn youz. Ship it out here and let me take it for a spin.
    B5S4/A3S3RS3/Hawaii Forum Moderator - PM Comments/Concerns

00 Laser Red S4
    VAST Performance | BLOUCH | AWE | EvolutionRacewerks | Volk Racing | Vogtland | STaSIS/Alcon | JHM Motorsports | RS4 OEM

18 Daytona Gray Pearl S3
    Stock Daily

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 B7 RS4

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse S. View Post
    Berts factory freak car is going to be a GT freak now.

Damn youz. Ship it out here and let me take it for a spin.
    hey i think we will be stopping by hawaii sometime in july when we transpack on our way to australia, ill let you know when. haha maybe i can show you a thing or two about driving then

Forum Moderator Four Rings
    AZ Member #

hey i think we will be stopping by hawaii sometime in july when we transpack on our way to australia, ill let you know when. haha maybe i can show you a thing or two about driving then
    Nice..before you come bring a GT KIT, your custom Bert-Exhaust and have Jason install my Shifter linkage!

Nah, just let me know exact days.. I will still be on island in July.
    B5S4/A3S3RS3/Hawaii Forum Moderator - PM Comments/Concerns

00 Laser Red S4
    VAST Performance | BLOUCH | AWE | EvolutionRacewerks | Volk Racing | Vogtland | STaSIS/Alcon | JHM Motorsports | RS4 OEM

18 Daytona Gray Pearl S3
    Stock Daily

Account Terminated Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Jay not to start a debate and I know where your coming from but It's not the only manifold to have R&D done, We've been flowing different sizes and length runners & merge collectors for 8 months now to maximum efficiency. Right now the merge collector design scavenges very well as a good manifold should.. Good luck with the car sounds awesome
    Last edited by generationjdm; 02-21-2008 at 06:47 AM.

Registered Member Four Rings NYCVR6's Avatar
    AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by generationjdm View Post
    Jay not to start a debate and I know where your coming from but It's not the only manifold to have R&D done, We've been flowing different sizes and length runners & merge collectors for 8 months now to maximum efficiency. Right now the merge collector design scavenges very well as a good manifold should.. Good luck with the car sounds awesome
    Same here my manifolds have quite a bit of time onto them and are very close to equal length, burns collectors, etc..

Looks like a sweet build.
    Justin- 01.5' Pearl S4 24V VR6 Turbo Pow Pow
    034 Motorsport
    FFE Racing
    MoTec
    Tuned By Shane T
    Boost Factory!
    Drive your car, not your dyno sheet

Veteran Member Four Rings dougyfresh's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2 pedals 1FG

Quote Originally Posted by jaybquick@JHM View Post
    -VAST's engine is a BONE stock 2.7L 80k mile short block. NOT a max effort 3.0L build up. It does have RS4 heads, cams, intake, etc.
    So are you saying Dan's car will get RS4 heads, cams and intakes but be a stock 2.7L short block?
    -Doug
    '02 A4 Avant 2.7T 6spd

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

He was saying that the VAST car has build heads, I think this project will have a stock long block ;)

Veteran Member Four Rings dougyfresh's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2 pedals 1FG

Quote Originally Posted by The_Jerbel View Post
    He was saying that the VAST car has build heads, I think this project will have a stock long block ;)
    That is all I was trying to figure out. Thanks.
    -Doug
    '02 A4 Avant 2.7T 6spd

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 B7 RS4

not really directed toward you if you know what i mean

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 B7 RS4

Quote Originally Posted by dougyfresh View Post
    So are you saying Dan's car will get RS4 heads, cams and intakes but be a stock 2.7L short block?
    haha i wish, but no, i really didnt have the extra money at the moment to fit those in my budget. plus we really wanted to see what a completely stock engine could do on this kit.

but i do plan on adding those parts when i rebuild by engine at a later date.

Veteran Member Four Rings revhards4's Avatar
    AZ Member #

good luck with everything...I've known Mike for a long time and he's always been really great with everything. Your car should turn out awesome

AZ Member #

not really directed toward you if you know what i mean
    I really didn't think so, I know where he was going with that.haha

Veteran Member Three Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    b5 s4 nogaro , 1991 bmw 325is 5spd

g*d dammit FU*k my f*king k04s lol i should have waited to do this lol but w/e ill prob like em more when i get fueling intercoolers and clutch lol anyways now that m rant is over lmao amazing car and sound from it...not sure if im feeling the one pipe out of the back for the exhaust...too rice for me ....but gosh it sounds good man ohh and mikes and prince are beasts .....

-----Daniel M, from fl lol

and oh ill prob be calling you guys soon to run an intake setup like that lol if you could help it would be great
    Last edited by hyperlight944; 02-21-2008 at 06:21 PM.

Registered Member Four Rings EUROTEK//S4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    BMW M3/AUDI S4

you guys should use some of these sweet tial ss housings ?

http://www.full-race.com/catalog/pop...1f7320010149a5
    01' B5 S4 STG.II TIP

AZ Member #

There not available, there on there site with zero clue on when they will be released. I spoked to them yesterday..

Veteran Member Four Rings Kievskiy's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Pair of (. )( .)

how do u chage the spark plugs with those manifolds?
    -Andrey

Stanced and Tuned Brilliant Black RWD C5 A6 2.7T 6MT

"..and those titties are the best use of bandwidth in this forum...." -Invanity

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by kievskiy View Post
    with a few tools. There's enough clearence.
    Alex

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 B7 RS4

haha like you normally would on an s4?

maybe it might take a couple more extensions and universal joints but it wont be a problem.
    Last edited by Dan@JHM; 02-21-2008 at 09:59 PM.

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by lil' is 300 View Post
    Well that, you know we can deliver. We wouldn't have it any other way.

Shut up homo. You know you like the attention. Get your ass to work boy, lets get this done.

Quote Originally Posted by Leester View Post
    I dont think its fair to say that GIAC cant tune something with that kind of power...look at the evo 750 kit for porsche...If Im not mistaken, they have tuned those to 800 hp on a consistent basis. Just my ten cents. I just installed your shifter by the way and its pretty darn nice. Best of luck.
    Valid point. I meant they couldn't or wouldn't tune the S4 for that much power. There are limiting factors that the Factory S4 ECU reaches at about 530whp. There are several ways around this but it is time consuming and some approaches are not safe. The other reason could be they could have cared less about VAST, or that they have moved on to other projects and platforms. Either way, VAST didn't get the help they needed back in 05. And obviously the ECUs in the cars you mentioned can't be compared to an S4 ECU. Maybe I just worded it wrong.

I stand corrected and haven't been on the forums enough to see your R&D.

I really didn't think so, I know where he was going with that.haha

Quote Originally Posted by hyperlight944 View Post
    g*d dammit FU*k my f*king k04s lol i should have waited to do this lol but w/e ill prob like em more when i get fueling intercoolers and clutch lol anyways now that m rant is over lmao amazing car and sound from it...not sure if im feeling the one pipe out of the back for the exhaust...too rice for me ....but gosh it sounds good man ohh and mikes and prince are beasts .....

-----Daniel M, from fl lol

and oh ill prob be calling you guys soon to run an intake setup like that lol if you could help it would be great
    With K04s you should stick with an RS4 airbox tops. They run better. I ran an RS4 airbox when I went 11.1 @ 130mph on my K04s. Don't be dissapointed in your K04s yet. K04s with great tuning, exhaust and intercooling will run hard and have great boost down low. I still love my K04s. I personally will probably be switching to our bolt on RS6 turbos when I want to step it up a little.

3rd degree burns. It isn't that bad. An extra universal joint and the right length extension, it is cake. Everything is still able to be changed if you got the skill. Except to pull the tranny, you got to pull the motor, since you need to remove the headers. But performance was the primary concern and hopefully we pick the right clutch.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 B7 RS4

Shut up homo. You know you like the attention. Get your ass to work boy, lets get this done.
    haha maybe if you werent on the computer all the time you could get some work done on it while im gone doing the week...bitch
    Last edited by Dan@JHM; 02-21-2008 at 10:03 PM. Reason: had to add the word bitch

AZ Member #

This project is still in progress. Unfortunately Dan is in the military and not a paying customer being a friend of mine. So bear with us for updates and pics. He is busy serving our country 5 days a week and he is stationed a 3 hour drive from my shop. And sometimes he can only get off every other week.

So I mainly help on on the real technical stuff and of course I will be tuning it. Can't wait for that. DAN, get your ass down here this Friday SON!

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 B7 RS4

This project is still in progress. Unfortunately Dan is in the military and not a paying customer being a friend of mine. So bear with us for updates and pics. He is busy serving our country 5 days a week and he is stationed a 3 hour drive from my shop. And sometimes he can only get off every other week.

So I mainly help on on the real technical stuff and of course I will be tuning it. Can't wait for that. DAN, get your ass down here this Friday SON!
    haha ok old man, who asked about updates anyways?

AZ Member #

Jay when ever I update you seem to place or update a thread right after.haha

AZ Member #

haha ok old man, who asked about updates anyways?
    Your mom did.

Veteran Member Four Rings casawhites4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    01.5 Silver Avant

Your mom did.
    love it!!! keep it coming guys!
    01.5 Stage 3 Casablanca White S4 (GONE)
    01.5 Stage 0 Silver S4 Avant (New Project, def Grocery Getter)

watch out Casablanca!!! im coming back with a vengeance!

Silver will be the fastest now!!! :-D

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by casawhites4 View Post
    love it!!! keep it coming guys!
    HAHA. You should be around when he is at the shop. Verbal lashings left and right, we should set up a web cam. Anyone who doesn't know us, looks all uncomfortable and usually leaves it gets so bad. HAHA.

Veteran Member Four Rings casawhites4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    01.5 Silver Avant

HAHA. You should be around when he is at the shop. Verbal lashings left and right, we should set up a web cam. Anyone who doesn't know us, looks all uncomfortable and usually leaves it gets so bad. HAHA.
    all i got out of that, was you guys are all a bunch of hooligans!!! im in need of an rs6 setup jason....was talkin to prince at vast, but have issues with my car that i need worked out before....
    01.5 Stage 3 Casablanca White S4 (GONE)
    01.5 Stage 0 Silver S4 Avant (New Project, def Grocery Getter)

watch out Casablanca!!! im coming back with a vengeance!

Silver will be the fastest now!!! :-D

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 B7 RS4

Your mom did.
    atleast i have a mom and wasnt given up for adoption...

Veteran Member Four Rings PinoyS4's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2018 catalunya RS3

atleast i have a mom and wasnt given up for adoption...
    damn
    work hard, play hard

AZ Member #

Quote Originally Posted by casawhites4 View Post
    all i got out of that, was you guys are all a bunch of hooligans!!! im in need of an rs6 setup jason....was talkin to prince at vast, but have issues with my car that i need worked out before....
    What is going on with your car? Are you bringing it to them? If so they will take good care of you.

Quote Originally Posted by PinoyS4 View Post
    damn
    I will let Dan get away with that one. I am heading to borrow a forklift right now and put his car on top of the dumpster where it belongs.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 B7 RS4

What is going on with your car? Are you bringing it to them? If so they will take good care of you.

I will let Dan get away with that one. I am heading to borrow a forklift right now and put his car on top of the dumpster where it belongs.
    haha might as well let the fire department know im coming by and burning down your shop

AZ Member #

UPDATE: Dan with only once a month to work on it - sometimes twice (in the military and stationed 4 hours away) has made some serious progress on the project.

I haven't been much help other than providing storage, advice, tools and gathering parts, but I plan on getting more involved this week now that it is so close (I am a mean one huh??) Just been too busy. I can't wait to tune it.

Some pics for ya guys. The rerunning of lines and wires is very time consuming (Dan pulled some all nighters)

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast