Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

Boost Gauge thoughts/opinions...

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    All,
    I know boost gauge questions have been asked over and over. But I THINK this one is different than most.

I need opinions/thoughts about a boost gauge.

The car is a '99.5 Avant Tip. It is going to remain stock, except for an APR ecu. Now I don't really "need" a boost gauge since I'm mainly going to putt around in this car. However, I think it would be nice to see if I'm getting boost and the health of the car.

Now with that said, I was thinking to get an analog gauge for the dash vent. But that seems like overkill since I would rarely if at all look at it. (Plus when I showed my wife some pix, she said "what's that for?")

I was thinking getting a digital gauge and shovinig it in the dash cup holder (since it seems like it can only hold a can of TreeTop AppleJuice. But I was thinking the digital readouts would annoy me like no other! But then again, I probably won't look at it much.

One other option is the "podi" type. But my wife said "It'll block my view!" So that's out of the question.

Any thoughts? Should I NOT even get one?

Thanks!

Senior Member Three Rings jlien08's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    98.5 A4 1.8TQT, 01 ZR2 Blazer

Re: Boost Gauge thoughts/opinions...

A boost gauge should have been installed from the factory on these cars. They are important, and can lead you to problems before you physically notice them. Personally I like the center vent style. The Podi's are nice too, and they claim to not block the view of the instrument cluster.
    1998.5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro Tiptronic - MagnaFlow - Bilstein - Neuspeed - EvoMS - 034MS - LLTek - FMIC - VDO -

Veteran Member Four Rings J-jizzle's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Tools, Parts and the GTI beater

My vote is for podi ftw. It only blocks some of the mph gauge(depending on where the steering wheel is set) but not any numbers that matter. Everyone thinks mine is factory. You will love it and tell your wife that it helps mpg if you keep the needle under 0, or something like that.

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Quote Originally Posted by J-jizzle View Post
    You will love it and tell your wife that it helps mpg if you keep the needle under 0, or something like that.
    LOL. My wife actually likes seeing how much boost she is making. I guess I'm lucky.
    1998.5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro Tiptronic - MagnaFlow - Bilstein - Neuspeed - EvoMS - 034MS - LLTek - FMIC - VDO -

Veteran Member Four Rings onemoremile's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    99.5 A4 Avant, 01 allroad

My kids love the boost gauge. "Make it boost again daddy!"
    Jim

We cannot achieve the future by being timid. It requires aggressive imagination.

I Do Werk.

Veteran Member Three Rings Brooksthepro's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2001 Audi a4, loud ass gocart!

Quote Originally Posted by onemoremile View Post
    My kids love the boost gauge. "Make it boost again daddy!"
    hahahahhaha!!

i vote for center or left vent.
    GIAC FXK04/Gen380cc/TTMAF/FMIC/custom magnaflow/710n/Labree HFC/034 Highflow Exhaust Mani/17"Team Dynamics ProRace1/CAI/race springs/Rs4 Grille/VDO vent boost gauge/SS brake lines/x-drilled rotors/12in Infinity /600w Infinity amp

SANTA BARBARA LOCALS!! SBEUROCLUB

Account Terminated Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B5 Nazi Sled

Quote Originally Posted by Brooksthepro View Post
    hahahahhaha!!

i vote for center or left vent.
    I kind of wish I would have done a left vent instead of the center vent. It looks cleaner over there. It's also fun having people see it. So it's really a toss up. My girl doesn't care about my boost gauge :( But it is fun when people ask, "what the hell is that?"

AZ Member #
    My Garage

Can't you just pop out the vent and replace it with the left vent? I did mine in he center too. I thought the vents were the same, and interchangeable.

Veteran Member Three Rings Brooksthepro's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2001 Audi a4, loud ass gocart!

Quote Originally Posted by jlien08 View Post
    Can't you just pop out the vent and replace it with the left vent? I did mine in he center too. I thought the vents were the same, and interchangeable.
    i was just gonna say that. i think they are all the same.
    GIAC FXK04/Gen380cc/TTMAF/FMIC/custom magnaflow/710n/Labree HFC/034 Highflow Exhaust Mani/17"Team Dynamics ProRace1/CAI/race springs/Rs4 Grille/VDO vent boost gauge/SS brake lines/x-drilled rotors/12in Infinity /600w Infinity amp

SANTA BARBARA LOCALS!! SBEUROCLUB

Account Terminated Four Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    B5 Nazi Sled

Quote Originally Posted by Brooksthepro View Post
    i was just gonna say that. i think they are all the same.
    I could have sworn they were different...

Senior Member Three Rings Revolution02's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2007 Yamaha R6

Ya the vents are all interchangeable it shouldnt take you more than 5 minutes to swap.

Here is a pic of my gauge.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170423
    BOOST

Active Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2010 Audi S4, 2013 Ford F150 , 1987 Grady White 206G Overnighter

Quote Originally Posted by jlien08 View Post
    LOL. My wife actually likes seeing how much boost she is making. I guess I'm lucky.
    Yah, nice to have a girl support stuff like that rather than complaining. My girlfriend likes to stare at it sometimes when I'm driving. Kinda looks like a goldfish in a bowl trying to figure out what it's doing. Eh, I kid, she's a smart girl, but she does look kinda silly when she's staring at things in the car trying to figure them out.
    Current: 2010 S4 Prestige, 2010 A4 Premium Plus, 1987 Grady-White Overnighter 206G
    Gone: 1999 Wrangler Sport, 2001.5 A4 1.8TQM w/GTRS, 1997 Wrangler Sport, 1990 Corrado Stage IV Corrado g60

Veteran Member Four Rings SurferForever's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    01 A4 1.8TQM

APR vent gage ftw. Decently priced, doesnt look like you just hacked up a vent and threw a gage in there like awe, and at night, matches the color of the interior lights. Perfect fit, looks stock when its in the center vent. i know there are plenty of pics on here if you search but if i remember i will try and shoot a pic of mine later
    Natasha: 01 A4 2.0 T28/T04 || Silver (Fastest Color)

034 Motor and Tranny Mounts | Full 3" exhaust with HFC | APR Snub | B&M Short Shifter | APR Boost Gage | RS4 Grill w/ Custom Matched Lowers | 8000k Headlights | 3000K Fogs | M3 Lip Spoiler | Reiger Roof Spoiler | Debadged | Clear Corner Mod | Independent Fogs | Dual Rear Fogs | Zimmerman Cross-Drilled Rotors | Mintex Pads | SS Braided Lines | 18X8 Black ASA AR1's

AZ Member #

I think I'm going to go analog. Not sure where I'll mount it yet however.

My original idea of a digital gauges was because I didn't plan to look at it much at all.

More thinking for this one!

Veteran Member Four Rings HotSauce's Avatar
    AZ Member #

If you do a VDO, Podi, Omori etc. gauge, most people won't even realize it's aftermarket.

I have had VDOs in all my Audis, and they are all thought to be stock.

And before someone rags on the hack-a-vent/VDO route, know that VDO made the clusters in Audis for years....Nothing matches better than (quasi) OEM.

Veteran Member Four Rings SurferForever's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    01 A4 1.8TQM

^^^^^^^^
    (APR gauge comes with a vdo gauge.)
    Natasha: 01 A4 2.0 T28/T04 || Silver (Fastest Color)

034 Motor and Tranny Mounts | Full 3" exhaust with HFC | APR Snub | B&M Short Shifter | APR Boost Gage | RS4 Grill w/ Custom Matched Lowers | 8000k Headlights | 3000K Fogs | M3 Lip Spoiler | Reiger Roof Spoiler | Debadged | Clear Corner Mod | Independent Fogs | Dual Rear Fogs | Zimmerman Cross-Drilled Rotors | Mintex Pads | SS Braided Lines | 18X8 Black ASA AR1's

Veteran Member Four Rings audiFUEGO's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    2001.5 A4 1.8t QM

I like my AWE... and i have mine in my Center/Left vent.

Only draw back is on hot days, after youve had the AC running, if you open the windows and turn the AC off the gauge will form condensation because the AC gets it so cold.

Then again, its very humid in FL so that could be the problem.

AZ Member #

I think I've settled on the VDO vision gauge. Not going to go with the digital readout anymore (unless I change my mind again!). So the plan is to mount it in the vent area. Not sure if I'm going to cut up the OEM vent or figure some other mount up. Seems like 42dd has the best prices for the vision gauge, LED kit, and boost tubing kit. Or is there another vendor I should be looking at?

Thanks!

Veteran Member Four Rings onemoremile's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    99.5 A4 Avant, 01 allroad

Price on the gauge should be 30-40 bucks. A simple mount can be made from black plexiglass and a hole saw for less than $10. Looks factory too.
    Jim

We cannot achieve the future by being timid. It requires aggressive imagination.

I Do Werk.