Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

Established Member Two Rings
    AZ Member #

diy gauge cluster removal for 1996 a4

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    the lights on my cluster are systematically going out, and i was wondering if anyone knew of a diy for a 1996. i've looked and all i could find were newer ones. and i can just get the bulbs from audi, right?

Veteran Member Four Rings CaSp3r9's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    Tools and toys

Re: diy gauge cluster removal for 1996 a4

I'm pretty sure there's a writeup on Audiworld but it's pretty simple -
    First off lower your steering column as far down as it'll go to give you more room to work. The plastic surround on the top of your steering column ("U" shaped) simply pulls off. Behind that at the bottom of the gauge cluster there are two torx screws, I think they're 15's but I could be wrong. Unscrew those and the cluster is free. Pull the cluster out enough to reach behind and unplug the wire harnesses. They have little lever type thingy's that hold them in, pry the levers up with a flathead and they'll come loose. Now that you have the cluster out, find the two gold [I think] torx screws on either side in the back and remove those. You'll notice about 8 clips around the outside holding the cluster together, get someone to help you unclip all of them simultaneously so that you can open the cluster. It's pretty tricky and takes some work but, believe it or not, it is possible. Careful not wedge anything where the two parts separate as you could damage the circuit board inside. When I disassembled my friends cluster in his S4 it was to fix the LCD display so I didn't pay any attention to the lights, but I'm sure you'll be able to find them. Your local Audi dealer should have them in stock but if they don't, you'll have to get the part number and order them online. Hope this helps, good luck! If you have any more questions, PM me.
    1998.5 A4 1.8tqms, Sold
    2006 A4 2.0tqm

I have a VAG-COM if anyone in the Santa Monica area needs it.