Audizine - An Automotive Enthusiast Community

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    93 urS4, 99.5 A4 1.8tqm

Leather and dynos...

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I went back to the dyno last week to check on things with my newly rebuilt motor. As a reminder, with a K04 I pulled 199.6hp/226tq. After the Sportec turbo and tubular exhaust manifold install along with a 3" turbo back exhaust, a new FMIC and all the Chris Tapp BT stuff, it pulled 311.1hp @4900rpm/376.7tq @4200rpm. I decided to do a zero time rebuild and ended up with some mild porting with the 3 angle valve job and and that whole ball of wax. After a 2500 mile break-in it was back to the dyno for another look. This time we pulled 321.8hp @4700rpm/371.3tq @4400rpm. Now, as always, that's not the whole story. Those 3rd set of numbers were at 4.2 psi less boost. Once I get the motor beyond 5000rpm I'll head back to see what's left on the table.

I also just got through installing a black vinyl rear seat and just picked the car up from F&H Auto Upholstery where they pulled the black leather and custom black alcantara skins along with the foam from a 20,000 mile set of B5 S4 seats. The car did have a sport cloth interior. I think I'm in lub. Here are a few pics.

Hap, wit dakine lub foh da seats not from Evahboost, Maguire

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Re: Leather and dynos...

awesome numbers man.
    My B5's For Sale PM ME!
    UberFellas
    stanceworks.com
    ^^Superior^^

Veteran Member Three Rings europshhrc279's Avatar
    AZ Member #

wow hotness..the seats look badass.and those numbers are outstanding..how much do you think youve put into the motor including the turbo and stuff?
    99.5 A4 1.8T K04
    Tein s-tech springs/ Bilstein shocks, Painted lowers, Matte black S4 grill, "HD" Lip, Forge 007, KO4, Unitronics Stage 1 file, Evo Motorsports Intake, Center vent Boost gauge, Jensen Flip out, Pioneer 2-ways, Alpine Type R 10, Alpine amp. Open downpipe , 19x8.5,19x9.5 Falken rubber, Drilled and slotted rotors all around, Greedspeed Snub Mount, VMW Test Pipe. 6000k HID Low and fogs.

Veteran Member Four Rings onemoremile's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    99.5 A4 Avant, 01 allroad

Very nice on both fronts. Who did the porting? Did you do anything else while in the head?
    Jim

We cannot achieve the future by being timid. It requires aggressive imagination.

I Do Werk.

Veteran Member Four Rings speedydragon's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    01 A4 1.8t avant; 04 B6 S4

damn those k04 numbers are insane! when does boost tamper off?
    2001 Santorin A4 1.8tQTip Avant 29-35mpg
    034 GT28rs, 034 exhaust manifold, Unitronics, Borla non-res v1, Vis CF, 35%/5% tint, Blitz, 6500k HID, Carbonio v2, 18x8 Rs6, AWE Vent, A8 bbk, Valeo Ecodes, S4 front, Forge 007, Racetec, 550cc, 034 hfc, KW V1. et17r/22f

2004 Silver S4 6sp. 18-22mpg. H&R sport, Hotchkis, Milltek non-Res.

TEAM|AXION
    Check out my photography @ www.TeamAxion.smugmug.com

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    93 urS4, 99.5 A4 1.8tqm

Quote Originally Posted by a4fann View Post
    awesome numbers man.
    Thanks.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    93 urS4, 99.5 A4 1.8tqm

Quote Originally Posted by europshhrc279 View Post
    wow hotness..the seats look badass.and those numbers are outstanding..how much do you think youve put into the motor including the turbo and stuff?
    The seats actually feel better than they look. I've also got that fresh leather smell in the car now. Between my urS4 and this car i have no idea what I've spent. I just like to mod things a little ;>)

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    93 urS4, 99.5 A4 1.8tqm

Quote Originally Posted by onemoremile View Post
    Very nice on both fronts. Who did the porting? Did you do anything else while in the head?
    Thanks. It was a local shop that only works on Euro heads. I also replaced the exhaust valves, valve guides, valve seals, all bearings, full TB/serp belt change, Raceware studs for the haed and girdle, Scat rods, etc.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    93 urS4, 99.5 A4 1.8tqm

Quote Originally Posted by speedydragon View Post
    damn those k04 numbers are insane! when does boost tamper off?
    The car had the skinny Eurocode FMIC, 5.0 bar FPR, stock injectors, EC testpipe, Borla exhaust and AMS SW. It really did pull nicely with that 226tq figure coming on at 3800rpm. Now, it was reading 24 psi at 6800rpm where we shut it down.

Veteran Member Four Rings
    AZ Member #

Wow good numbers and those peak numbers are at a nice RPM. The powerband must be awesome on the street. What do those numbers taper down to at redline?
    2001 A4 Avant 2.0t comp CT4 5858 Maestro Tune
    2012 Volkswagen CC TSI 6 speed.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    93 urS4, 99.5 A4 1.8tqm

Quote Originally Posted by Poopie View Post
    Wow good numbers and those peak numbers are at a nice RPM. The powerband must be awesome on the street. What do those numbers taper down to at redline?
    I'm out in Socal visiting family this week so I don't have my dyno sheets with me. The head work did gain a much flatter hp curve with very little, basically a flat curve, drop off. I'll have actual numbers later for you.

Account Terminated Four Rings mike-2ptzero's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    630AWHP A4, Nissan Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Poopie View Post

IIRC all of his #'s are also while using SAE corrections since he is in CO. This means his "real" #'s while on the dyno are much lower.

AZ Member #
    My Garage
    93 urS4, 99.5 A4 1.8tqm

Quote Originally Posted by mike-2ptzero View Post
    IIRC all of his #'s are also while using SAE corrections since he is in CO. This means his "real" #'s while on the dyno are much lower.
    Those of us that live at truly lofty altitudes have heard these arguments adnauseam. There was a fellow Audi guy there the day I rolled my car. I've never tried to claim anything but the improvement or otherwise that my car has seen over the mods I've done and that's why I included the other numbers. Here are his impressions and figures that were posted on the AW Rocky Mountain site when some others were questioning my numbers. This is a relatively conservative dyno that usually registers numbers 7-10% below another Mustang dyno in town:

"I was at the dyno tuning a car in the morning and then to witness Haps pulls and finally to put my own A4 on the rollers...

As a reference point:
    My car: 1998 A4 1.8tq AEB motor
    Engine Mods: APR Stage 3 (GT25R turbo)
    Intercooler: Stock
    Exhaust: Milltek
    Mileage: 175,000
    Mileage on APR S3 conversion: 85,000
    Before Stage 3, car was always chipped.

Yes, it's a tired motor - it's been raged on a lot.

I did 2 pulls, data given are peak values:

#1: 91 octane program: WHP: 199.5 WTRQ: 227.2 Boost: 20.5 psi

#2: 100 octane program: WHP: 239.7 WTRQ: 248.4
    Boost: 19.2 psi

Having driven Hap's car and my own back to back, I have no doubt about the numbers that car put down. It's one heck of a winter beater... and the only 1.8t I have every driven that truly suprised me with it's performance. By the way, when I drove it, it had the old motor in it..."

Brendan
    www.apikol.com

More fuel for the alltitude fires.

Hap, wit dakine numbah search not from Evahboost, Maguire

Account Terminated Four Rings mike-2ptzero's Avatar
    AZ Member #
    My Garage
    630AWHP A4, Nissan Titan

Well I am not questioning your SAE #'s, just saying that they are SAE and tend to be much higher then what they should be since the dyno is using a SAE correction for a NA car. Even Jordan from CO has shown that the correction is about 5% too high when using the SAE corrections for a turbo car in CO vs actually running a car at sea level.

I understand that your just using the dyno to see changes, but there is one huge flaw in using the SAE corrections. When the conditions change your SAE correction can be wrong. This is because the SAE correction is be lager then the actual power gain/lose of your car. Even if you ran on that same dyno in 2 completely different conditions which will have 2 different SAE correction ratio, the whp you get wont be the same on both days even though you haven't made any changes to the car. This is because a NA car will gain/lose power at a much faster rate as air density conditions change. Now if you were to figure out a turbo scale for the SAE corrections then it would be correct.