PDA

View Full Version : changing steering wheel!

Mattgfx
10-19-2006, 01:00 PM
Has anyone here changed their 4 spoke steering wheel to a 3 spoke steering wheel? is it hard to do? does it void the insurance?

thank you!

SoFresh
10-19-2006, 01:38 PM
^^^ as far as the insurance thing... I once totalled my very first car which was a 94 honda accrord, and it had 2 racing seats and a matching momo steering wheel... no airbag at all, and the insurance still covered everything in full. Insurance company was AIG, I dont know if this really helps you, but just thought id share that with you.

Mattgfx
10-19-2006, 01:41 PM
yea it does, thanx !

audimanj
10-19-2006, 01:44 PM
its not hard at all to change it out I did it in about 30 min. just need a torx screw and a big socket afterwards. first take the airbag off by the backside you will see 2 or 4 screws and undo those take of the conector. then use the socket to take of the wheel. just make sure your wheel is straight before you take it off and after you put it back on. good luck. search and im sure you will find a how to on changing the steering wheel.

Mattgfx
10-19-2006, 01:51 PM
alright thank you

creechsa4
10-19-2006, 02:13 PM
I know it's not required, but when i changed out my 99, i unplugged the negative on the battery. i don't want that thing exploding while i'm replacing the torx screws. play it safe!

audimanj
10-19-2006, 02:18 PM
forgot to mention that. sorry good idea to desconnect the bat before attempting the exchange. trust me its not fun having an airbag go of in your face.

bellofello
10-19-2006, 02:21 PM
I've been wanting to put an s4 wheel on my ride. Any reccomendations on where to get a decent used one?

Mattgfx
10-19-2006, 03:02 PM
ebay

werksmini
10-19-2006, 03:05 PM
The prices for used wheels for audi's seems pretty high compaired to other brands.

AudiSnawb
10-19-2006, 03:18 PM
there is a writeup WITH pics on audiworld in the tech forum, check it out, looks easy Just BE CAREFUL

Starting
10-19-2006, 03:23 PM
I attempted to swap wheels in lude2euoa4's car and was unable to do it. the 4 spoke torx bolts were too far in to use a socket so I trued a torx screwdriver but they were so tight that the screwdriver just spun on the inside.

lude2euroa4
10-19-2006, 03:48 PM
i was just about to put my input in on here. my car is a 97 and i have the 4 spoke the regular socket torx dont reach the bolt, so i had to get the screwdriver and the torx was so tight that the torx metal on the screwdriver would spin inside the screwdriver. has anyone ever did the swap on a 4 spoke 97 or 98 i have a 98 2.8 that i can swap the sport wheel out of but i dont want to the 4 spoke cuz that needs to go into the 2.8

calbear
10-19-2006, 06:26 PM
i've swapped a 3 spoke sport wheel into my 97 a4. the spline on 96-97-early 98s are different from the rest of b5's.

it's really not hard to do. just like everyone else said, disconnect the battery and then follow the instructions on the audiworld tech article. 1 hour if you're careful and it's your 1st time. otherwise, 15-20 minutes once you've done it b4.

burner799
10-19-2006, 06:30 PM
There is even a video somewhere i forget where, with instructions and step by step on how to do it. Its pretty easy just gotta be careful with that airbag mengh.

Mattgfx
10-19-2006, 06:45 PM
can you try to find the video? thank you !!!!!

burner799
10-19-2006, 06:51 PM
cant find it man. thread is more than likely gone after the hack. do it anyways, Its just a couple screws.

lude2euroa4
10-19-2006, 07:51 PM
ok lemme explain my issue now that im on my pc and not my motorola q.

i have a 97 4 spoke, my bro is selling his 2.8, but before he sells it im gonna swap wheels, so i dont want to damage either wheel.

i can take off the 3 spoke sport on his 2.8 since the bolts are very easy to get to and i can use a simple torx bit and socket wrench. on his wheel the bolts are visable to the eye and at the edge of the wheel line (i guess you can call it that)

now on my wheel 97 1.8t 4 spoke, the bolts can not be reached by a simple torx bit and socket wrench. the reason being is becuase the bolts are 2-3 inches hidden into the wheel from the edge of the wheel liner. so starting came up with an idea that we get a torx screwdriver so we did. now we get it on the bolt and the metal torx spins inside the screwdriver so the bolt wont nudge. so im calling out whoevers done this with the bolts being hidden inside the wheel and arent visable, what tool did you use or what kind of method did you do to get this wheel off.

ive seen and read the removal DIY, the link that i read on AW was to swap ignition switch so i read the begining part which speaks about wheel removal.

someone help. how much to ship someone to do this for me to 07066, nj???

seriously im in a dilema

calbear
10-19-2006, 08:42 PM
is your brother's 2.8 a 96-97-early 98? if it's not, then you won't be able to do the swap b/c of the different splines.

i didn't have a problem reaching the torx screws on the back of my steering wheel. just used my standard socket set with an extension on the back.

no fussing with ignition switch.

you might need the triple square tool for the actual wheel removal (i bought one, but ended up didn't need one).

lude2euroa4
10-21-2006, 09:32 PM
yeah my bro is a 97 also so its all squared off i know all about the diffrent splines.

where in NY are you maybe i can borrow your tool becuase an extension wont work in my wheel becuase the hole is to thick for the extension. thats why i needed a thin long tool so we came up with the screwdriver method but that kept breaking...

someone help any new ideas? this so called video anywhere.

vitaliko
10-21-2006, 11:06 PM
are you saying putting in a racing seat like carbeau might void your insurance? does anyone know, i have farmers.

mike-2ptzero
10-22-2006, 08:48 AM
Why would it void your insurance and why would you even need to tell them you changed seats? When my car got wrecked it had full "race" cobra seats and they still covered my car and paid me, oh I also had a sparco steering wheel in the car too.

mlc-A4
10-22-2006, 10:25 AM
Auto Zone in our friend. Thats where I found the TORX bit to take off our old steering wheel.

Also, heres a helpful hint. before u take off old steering, mark it on the spline where it met. This makes it a little easier to put the new one on "straight".\

ed

lude2euroa4
10-22-2006, 12:48 PM
you have a picture of this extended legnth torx bit? i have never seen a longer torx bit the only kind i have seen is the normal legnth which has the bit with an inch of legnth and the socket holder which is to thick to fit in the hole of the steering wheel. so pic would be helpful any other info. can someone with 96-98 take a pic of their wheel or agree w/ me that the bolts are deep in the wheel....

-matt

SeanF
10-22-2006, 08:06 PM
use a 5mm allen key, it will work... if 5mm isnt the right size, try to find an allen key that is the right size... it will work, thats what i used time after time to get my steering wheel off..

lude2euroa4
10-23-2006, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by mlc-A4
Auto Zone in our friend. Thats where I found the TORX bit to take off our old steering wheel.

Also, heres a helpful hint. before u take off old steering, mark it on the spline where it met. This makes it a little easier to put the new one on "straight".\

ed

went to autozone, found allenkey looking torx set, picked that up ill be attempting the swap tonight. wish me luck bitches