PDA

View Full Version : Can't see shi$!!!!

WantAvant
10-18-2006, 05:12 AM
Hey I need some help here, I just got my 00 b5 A4 last week and I can't tell if I have hid's or not. I think I do cuz when I first turn them on the start out dim and get brighter, but they are nothing like me Acura Tsx hid's. I just think I might need new bulbs, It was snowing here this morning and it was down right scary. I couldn't see shi$!!!!!!!! Where can I buy some decent price replacements, also how do I tell for sure that I have hid's????

GraysonF
10-18-2006, 05:21 AM
open the hood and look. look for a ballast. yes to the ballast = yes to HID's

EVIL-AUDI
10-18-2006, 05:25 AM
I realize you are new here, but you seriously need to search topics more. Open the hood, open your headlight housings and look. It's quite obvious the difference between standard H7 bulbs and HID's.

WantAvant
10-18-2006, 06:02 AM
I looked last night, there is like a big warning label on them under the hood, so that is why I am assuming they are hid's. where can I get some new one's for a decent price???

EVIL-AUDI
10-18-2006, 06:13 AM
Get what for a new price? You don't even know if you have HID's currently or not. So how do you know what set up you might be looking to buy? As stated you need to search more.

WantAvant
10-18-2006, 06:17 AM
Ok, I will try searching some more, sorry to bother you guys............thanks

MR VTEC
10-18-2006, 06:23 AM
i have hids and i can't see shit in snow either... the 4300k doesn't have enough color in it to cut through the fog. get some yellow bulbs for your fog lights. or add fog lights.
you should be able to tell if you have xenon or halogen by turning on the light and standing in front of the car though.

d_maniac
10-18-2006, 06:49 AM
maybe your car lights need to be adjusted

quickglx
10-18-2006, 06:55 AM
You may be able to restore the performance from your HIDs by cleaning the headlights. Disassemble the projectors and carefully wipe out the reflector bowls. They tarnish rather easily/ quickly. Also some new bulbs would help too, they are probably the originals and just like halogen bulbs, HIDs grow dimmer as they age and colorshift. They will never be as bright as a TSX or S2000 though...

loustylez
10-18-2006, 07:01 AM
hey i've been on this board for a couple weeks now reading just about every thread in the B5 forum. i'm a little unclear as to what is what with what are hids, what is xenon, what is halogen, etc.

i know halogen is the old style just regular old headlight bulb. slightly yellow in color and doesn't have the clear cutoff beam pattern.

from there i'm confused. hid < xenon? hid = xenon? h7 bulbs are hid but not as bright as h1?

can someone give just a quick rundown of what is what exactly? my 2001 a4 has the whiter/bluer lights more similar to my friends s2000, but not as bright. it does have the clear cutoff beam pattern on the top though (with that little stair step in the middle). i'm assuming these are kids, h7, and that i can either simply get brighter bulbs (h1?) or there's some pricier upgrades to "mod" the lamps to something brighter (xenon?).

EuroA4
10-18-2006, 07:04 AM
We really need a FAQ thread to be sticky up top!!

EVIL-AUDI
10-18-2006, 07:06 AM
We will have one soon, so that these repetitive questions can be answered in once spot and are not brought up so much.

WantAvant
10-18-2006, 07:10 AM
If I do have hid's, what is the exact bulb I need to order when I order new ones? Is it the 4300k or what? That is the part I do not understand?

EVIL-AUDI
10-18-2006, 07:12 AM
4300K is the stock bulb temp. D2S is the bulb type. That's if you even have them and they are stock type.

GraysonF
10-18-2006, 07:16 AM
if you have fog lights, put 3500k HID's in those.....cut through anything on the road. thats my plan for christmas

WantAvant
10-18-2006, 07:22 AM
yeah I do have fog lights so I might have to check those out, it was pretty bad this morning when I turned my fog's on and they were brighter than my regular headlights, haha.

badassbaldie
10-18-2006, 07:23 AM
I've got a set of 55w (as opposed to the normal 35w) 5000k HIDs and they are BRIGHT!!!! I hardly notice when my high beams are on. The only downside is that I get an occasional "flashing of the lights" from some oncoming traffic.

If I do have hid's, what is the exact bulb I need to order when I order new ones? Is it the 4300k or what? That is the part I do not understand?

WantAvant, just to give you a little direction here, the higher or "hotter" the bulbs burn, the more blue/purple the light will appear. Going any higher then a 5000-6000k bulb will diminish the amount of light cast onto the road...

onemoremile
10-18-2006, 07:33 AM
i run 4300k rs6 hid low beams with yellow ion fog bulbs and the independant fog mod. winter vision is excellent here and we get a lot of snow flurries.

adding the yellow fogs really warms up the color temp and keeps the hid snow reflection from being as blinding. i can run the fogs alone but they need to be supplemented over 20 mph or so.

i've worn yellow shooter's glasses on snowy nights and they really cut through the glare. they pull some of the blue out of the color spectrum. since our eyes don't pick up blue as well as other colors our brains amplify the blue spectrum. this is why blue lights glare so badly.

murph013
10-18-2006, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by loustylez
hey i've been on this board for a couple weeks now reading just about every thread in the B5 forum. i'm a little unclear as to what is what with what are hids, what is xenon, what is halogen, etc.

i know halogen is the old style just regular old headlight bulb. slightly yellow in color and doesn't have the clear cutoff beam pattern.

from there i'm confused. hid < xenon? hid = xenon? h7 bulbs are hid but not as bright as h1?

can someone give just a quick rundown of what is what exactly? my 2001 a4 has the whiter/bluer lights more similar to my friends s2000, but not as bright. it does have the clear cutoff beam pattern on the top though (with that little stair step in the middle). i'm assuming these are kids, h7, and that i can either simply get brighter bulbs (h1?) or there's some pricier upgrades to "mod" the lamps to something brighter (xenon?).

Even if you couldn't find your answers on the forums, a quick search of the Interweb would warrant the answers you seek...

HIDs and Xenons are the same thing.

If your lights are bluer, then chances are you've got HIDs.

Here's some info on HIDs over at wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_discharge_lamp)

burner799
10-18-2006, 02:19 PM
I began second guessing wether i have h.i.d. or not too. My headlights are whiter than anything else non h.i.d. on the road but, i don't see ignitors on my bulbs like my friends s4, it looks like there is a small square ballast inside the housing but, theres just wires going to a bulb....ionooo.

murph013
10-18-2006, 03:30 PM
If you really can't tell, you can always check the production codes on the sticker on your manual & in the spare tire well (there's a comprehensive list over on audiworld, headlights are in part 4), but it seems like it would be easier to figure out what you're looking for on the headlight itself.

bellofello
10-18-2006, 06:08 PM
xenon is the type of gas that the electricity runs through in the bulb correct? I'm guessing that because HID (high intensity discharge) has something to do with electrical current. And the K (ie: 5000K) is the temprature in kelvins. Google image search xenon colour chart.

TQMB5
10-18-2006, 06:24 PM
5000K? thats pretty damn hot. thats like 8540 degrees F... i think i did that right

bellofello
10-18-2006, 06:34 PM
not sure. I know that you take away something like 273 degrees to make it celcius. so like 5000k= 4727 c. So I think thats 12596 F. I think. not sure of the C to F conversion I think its 2.665. not sure.

SeanF
10-18-2006, 08:20 PM
what do you need to do all those conversions for?

h7 is not an HID bulb, its a halogen bulb

they make h7 HID conversion kits that convert an h7 halogen bulb type to an HID setup...

DRA4
10-18-2006, 09:44 PM
So you can't even tell if you have xenon lights or not. Talk about being clueless.

bellofello
10-19-2006, 06:19 AM
SeanF, those numbers are for xenon, not halogen. Not seeing what your waying. Just saying that 5000K is HOT lol, nothing else.