PDA

View Full Version : Radio Faceplate Feeler

Starting
10-17-2006, 05:18 PM
I am fabbing up a faceplate for my car out of sheet metal and before I finish it I wanted to see if anyone would be interested in one. If so I would make a template so I would be able to produce them easier. Right now I could only make them for a newer console with a single din. I would also potentially make them for the older console with either an aftermarket or stock radio.
The piece I am fabbing for myself will have a welded bracket for a Sirius radio. I will have mine finished by next week and will be able to show a finished product. Pricing would be very fair. Right now I am thinking about $50 but maybe more or less after I price out material and the amount of interest I receive.
This is what I have so far to give you an idea.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v110/hampp2/PA140104.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v110/hampp2/PA140103.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v110/hampp2/PA140105.jpg

lude2euroa4
10-17-2006, 05:32 PM
f*ckin crazy!so far so good, knowing you it will always look good in the end.

im gonna need your help with my racing seat install.

SoFresh
10-17-2006, 07:13 PM
thats such a good idea, i was going to use abs plastic to make an extended one that replaces the ash tray so I can put a couple lighting switches down there as well as my air/fuel gauge, aluminum never crossed my mind, sweet idea!

Starting
10-17-2006, 07:22 PM
The one I am making is not aluminum because I want to weld a bracket on it for the sirius reciever. I don't see a problem making them with specific changes for people such as aluminum, brackets, or things of that nature. I also have some abs around that if there is interest in see if I can make a one peice faceplate out of that as well.

94jedi
10-17-2006, 07:48 PM
nice work, you guys are all so imaginative. I may take a shot at it in fiberglass or CF weave. I'm starting to question wether or not I even need a radio in my car.

loustylez
10-17-2006, 08:50 PM
can you do this for a 7" touchscreen and a laptop slim slot load dvd drive below it? for the screen i want a recessed hood to it of maybe 2" in at the top.

this picture is like if the screen was installed. each inside "flap" (except the buttom of course) would be used to hold and mount the screen. the flap would come from bending back each edge (again, except the bottom) and making it about 2" deep. unless you can think of some other way of mouting it off the back and covering up the gaps on the top/sides.

also, i'd like for it to be removable if possible and the edges that fit the outside of the dash be really smooth and a real nice fit.

i don't know what the use of yours is or what you plan to do to finish it... but i'd want that right edge a little smoother cut.

http://www.diandata.com/temp/customdash.jpg

Starting
10-18-2006, 05:39 AM
loustylez: I will have to think about doing something like that. Would you mount the screen to the faceplate? Without having the touchscreen I don't think it would work very good but I do have the ability to weld an insert like you have pictured.

What I'm making right now is basically a peice for me/prototype to get my fitment perfect. If I were to start making them I would cut them on a bandsaw. I just used metal sheers.

loustylez
10-18-2006, 06:54 AM
well, most people take the front faceplate off of the screen itself, fiberglass/bondo that in to the factory dash, or an aftermarket stereo frame or something of that nature. i like this because it's custom made and the surface might allow me to get a cool texture w/ the paint. i was thinking about taking a wire brush and going over the whole thing in circles and painting it and seeing what that would look like.

i think it may be better for me to just get an aftermarket double din frame and put it in to that. kinda realizing yours is a little diff than what i'm wanting to do.

buyin the stuff this week! carcomputer baby.

Starting
10-18-2006, 07:33 AM
sounds good. i've been the carputer route and prefer my single din flipout unit over it.

loustylez
10-18-2006, 02:32 PM
why is that?

every single one i've seen looks nothing as good as a nice dash install. even that one aftermarket kenwood excelon or somethin would look better than a flip out i think. but if paid that much for hardware, i'd buy an even crazier carputer setup.

Quattro
10-19-2006, 08:23 AM
hey i would want one, but for my 96 A4, with umm an aftermarket radio and just all the buttons....

but then i would need all the interior trims as well because it wouldnt match =x

Starting
10-19-2006, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by loustylez
why is that?

every single one i've seen looks nothing as good as a nice dash install. even that one aftermarket kenwood excelon or somethin would look better than a flip out i think. but if paid that much for hardware, i'd buy an even crazier carputer setup.

Everything is instant with the flipout nav. I don't have to wait for a computer to load and for the most part I keep the screen in the dash. I also have sirius in the car now so there is no point in me using a computer for mp3s. The one I have also plays mp3 cd's and dvds so for me it completly beats a computer.

SoFresh
10-19-2006, 11:20 AM
^^^ that sounds like a pretty sweet setup

loustylez
10-19-2006, 11:20 AM
heh... i'm glad you responded the way you did because all of those reasons still make me want to do the carpc.

i'd rather have it because:
- in dash screen that looks fab'd really nice
- load times can be reduced to < 30 seconds with stripped version of windows
- UPS battery backup for an extra hour before going to the car battery, which i've heard you can still get 1-2 hours out of. plenty of time to leave the pc on while you run in/out of a store or running errands
- 120gb hdd = all my music, all the time + movies, podcasts, etc
- navi
- backup camera
- everything else a computer can do for novelty type bullshit

SoFresh
10-19-2006, 11:27 AM
I had a carputer I built for my old WRX, I loved it, it wasnt touchscreen however, which I wish I would have changed, cause a wireless remote and keyboard was sort of annoying, so I suggest going touchscreen if you go this route.

loustylez
10-19-2006, 12:20 PM
oh absolutely. that's the only way to fly (so is mescal). i've been reading up on mp3car.com for a year+. i'm quite confident at this point, all i need is the cash. i was literally about to pull the trigger on all the stuff tonight, but i decided to throw more money at a loan and just get the kamei hony comb grille, a nice momo knob to match my wood grain interior and the shifter conversion for tip -> manual knobs. $300 of stuff as opposed to $1000+.

i'm being "responsible" by getting these to tide me over till i pay off this loan. i'd feel way too guilty dropping 1k+ when i still got this shit to pay off.

i also put another 12" sub in the back (two 12's total) just a couple days ago and got it tweaked to sound really clean and nice, but still hits sharp and crisp when it should... so... i'm good for a while.

SoFresh
10-19-2006, 02:01 PM
^^^ I had this idea as well today driving home from the store... install VAG-COM into your carputer when buildnig it.... and run a secure cable to it as well... what about that idea? anyone done this before?

loustylez
10-20-2006, 07:59 AM
heh, i'd be somewhat interested in installing monitoring/diag software (or whatever it is/does) but i don't know shit about it anyways, so it wouldn't be very functional for me. i'm just a kid who's wanted this car for years. i wanna make it look good and keep it running good, but other than that... it's easy enough to get a speeding ticket as it is... i don't need to take it to a track ;)

Aliel
10-20-2006, 08:03 AM
Starting any updates on this?

Starting
10-20-2006, 08:49 AM
Gonna start working on it again today and hopefully draw up asome templates as I go. Should be able to show you guys a finished product Tuesday/Wednesday next week.

Starting
10-23-2006, 01:44 PM
This is going to have to be put on hold for awhile. Just found out today that I most likely have a tear in my rotator cuff, so that and school are gonna kill this plan till at least Chirstmas break.

On a sidenote I found acess to a sheet metal sheer and also made the templates this weekend.

AudiMan
11-29-2006, 05:32 PM
i'd like one as well, i want to do a carputer install on my 99 A4 with the old symphony radio and old HVAC controls like your car. The HVAC and big buttons really kill it!

Starting
11-29-2006, 06:18 PM
Audiman: with the old style most people move the hvac into where the ashtray. i had a carputer setup for sale but got tired of being lowballed so i just deiced to put it in the basement. if you search my name it will give you at least an idea of something that may be done.

badlandz
01-21-2010, 10:28 PM
Did you get back at this? I am about to install a new stereo, and order a brushed aluminum interior trim kit... I would be very interested in this. (B5 1996, old style buttons on top, bigger ones)

badlandz
01-23-2010, 03:52 AM
Bump, want to buy this, please come back...

somebody5788
01-23-2010, 05:20 AM
Bump, want to buy this, please come back...

Dude... its 4 years old... he probably doesn't even have the car anymore or ever come on the site.

badlandz
01-23-2010, 02:14 PM
Dude... its 4 years old... he probably doesn't even have the car anymore or ever come on the site.

His profile says "Last Activity: Yesterday 01:24 PM" I bumped it thinking he might have subscribed and come back to look? Maybe willing to make one. But it doesn't look like he's posted since March 2009, so I'm guessing no. Was worth a try, looks like a cool mod to me.