PDA

View Full Version : Switching ECU with chip

AlmondA4
10-17-2006, 12:40 PM
I'm lookng at a purchasing a ECU with 91 AND 100 ocance programs from APR. The ecu is from a 1997 1.8t quatro. My car is a 1998 1.8T front trac. Would this ECU work in my car ??? If so what would i need to do to make it work. I called my local APR dealer and they wern't much help. They pretty much said they wouldn't mess with a ECU swap ??

AlmondA4
10-17-2006, 07:09 PM
No one can help me on this ?? What if i had the chips taken off the ecu and put on mine would this work ??

SeanF
10-17-2006, 07:33 PM
it will work, you should get it coded for front trac but its not necessary, i have a 97 Q M and i drove around with an ecu for a 98 auto quattro for a while, and it ran fine until i coded it for my car with a vag com...

AlmondA4
10-18-2006, 11:13 AM
So I can just unplug my ECU and plug in the new one ??? Is it as simple as that. As far as the Vag Com do certain shops have these or what?? I really don't know what a Vag com is. Can anyone give me a breif explanation on one. And does the 100 octane APR program work with a completly stock car or do i need bigger injectors,exhaust,etc.??

hey4
10-18-2006, 11:25 AM
yes you can just plug it in. See ross-tech.com for about a VAG-COM. Search button will also give you a lot more information that I could ever type.

AlmondA4
10-18-2006, 11:26 AM
Is this what i would need to buy ???

OBDTool is a diagnostic tool for your Volkswagen or Audi.

It works on VW and Audi vehicles from 1996 through 2006
with a couple exceptions listed here.

Click the links to the left to find out more about OBDTOOL.

Click to find out why OBDTool is BETTER than
the cheap interfaces imported from China

READ AND CLEAR error codes and the CHECK-ENGINE light.

View real-time diagnostic info.

INCLUDES free VAG-COM software for VW, Audi, also Seat and Skoda.

Money-back satisfaction guarantee.

BUY NOW - A complete package is only $71!

Tools for other cars

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c105/TAlmond/vagcom.jpg

BranCKY3
10-18-2006, 11:31 AM
Are they both 5spds? I don't think Quattro / Fronttrak matters since it's all mechanical, the transmission isn't changed / ran from the ECU.

iowaboostin
10-18-2006, 12:02 PM
Odd, with DSMs the fuel maps were different for auto/manual and fwd/awd.. four different ECUs. Audi is so smart [:D][up]

AlmondA4
10-18-2006, 12:10 PM
So if i don't switch it from quatro to front trac right away it's no big deal ??? I just don't want to get stuck with the wrong ECU and have a car that won't run. And yes both cars are 5 speed

burner799
10-18-2006, 12:17 PM
just find an ecu that fits your car, its easy enough.

BranCKY3
10-18-2006, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by AlmondA4
So if i don't switch it from quatro to front trac right away it's no big deal ??? I just don't want to get stuck with the wrong ECU and have a car that won't run. And yes both cars are 5 speed

I believe quattro and fronttrak have the exact same ECU. Like I said, the ECU doesn't control the transmission on a manual car, quattro is run on pure mechanics. The ECU can't tell the difference if it's AWD vs. FWD.