PDA

View Full Version : Clutch problem...

$teady$upreme
10-16-2006, 08:48 PM
Today all of a sudden, i noticed that the clutch pedal started to rattle and shake like crazy. Also the engagement point is higher than usual as well.

What i meant by rattle and shake is, when you apply little pressure on the pedal or just touch it, you can feel that it is shaking from something. Maybe flywheel?

I have Werks of Art stage 2 Clutch and 10lb Aluminum Flywheel.

So what's wrong with it?

Poopie
10-16-2006, 09:03 PM
sounds like its on its way out

my buddies shakes and rattles like crazy until clutch gives way and slips when you give it some power.

$teady$upreme
10-16-2006, 09:10 PM
oh dang, that sounds bad.

Originally posted by Poopie
sounds like its on its way out

my buddies shakes and rattles like crazy until clutch gives way and slips when you give it some power.

TQMB5
10-16-2006, 11:17 PM
are you talking about when you just rest your foot on the clutch and you can feel it vibrate and grind kinda? thats normal for me but i have stock clutch and it has 122k on it. so i guess it could be on its way out

$teady$upreme
10-17-2006, 01:07 PM
Yes, when i rest on the clutch pedal, i can feel the vibration. But the engagement point had been higher than usual too.

Everything still shifts the same though, not harder to get in any other gears.

Originally posted by TQMB5
are you talking about when you just rest your foot on the clutch and you can feel it vibrate and grind kinda? thats normal for me but i have stock clutch and it has 122k on it. so i guess it could be on its way out

$teady$upreme
10-17-2006, 06:55 PM
Can anyone else chime in?

yemntftb
10-18-2006, 08:57 PM
If its catching higher the clutch is on the way out. I had this exact problem with my OEM clutch at about 88K. I took the car to audi and they said it was catching high but not slipping yet...once you feel it slipping you should consider replacing the clutch because it could eventually totally fail, leaving you stuck...might be time for alittle percaution.

$teady$upreme
10-23-2006, 04:39 AM
so the problem continues...

My tech told me that the problem might not be the clutch, it might be the transmission.

Wonder if any of you guys had swapped in a 2.8 transmission or S4 6spd transmission before? Is it doable and better than the A4 5sp transmission?

Will go to the shop and ask for details of the problem again.

bitterchild
10-23-2006, 10:59 AM
so do you get any chattering or squealing with that clutch and flywheel combination?

littlewhite
10-23-2006, 01:31 PM
hehe seems we both still have problems with our ride bro. [;)]

Daft
10-23-2006, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by $teady$upreme
Can anyone else chime in?

Basically, the fact that the engagement point has moved up means that the friction surface has worn enough to matter (or the fingers on the pressure plate, but usually not).

The shaking/rattling portion is pretty abnormal. Perhaps a bolt is coming loose in the clutch or FW and throwing off the balance. Since the friction surface bolts to the LWFWs there are about 20 little bolts that hold it on and the heads of these little bolts are about 2-3mm below the friction surface. If've you've worn down enough to hit them, things are only going to get worse.

When I took my LWFW out it only had 25K miles on it. The heads of the little bolts were still about 1mm below the friction surface. At the time I replaced my clutch/FW, my clutch was engaging when my clutch pedal was about 1.5-2" from the rest point.

Since the clutch is hyrdaulic you really are seeing the pedal travel as it really is. If the clutch/FW are wobbling, it will wobble the throwout bearing/pivot arm and thus the clutch's slave cylinder. That will send vibrations to the clutch pedal.

BTW, how many miles are on this clutch/FW setup?

$teady$upreme
10-25-2006, 02:54 AM
no chattering and no squealing at all.

Originally posted by bitterchild
so do you get any chattering or squealing with that clutch and flywheel combination?

$teady$upreme
10-25-2006, 02:56 AM
The clutch is around 80,000km and flywheel 10,000km

Originally posted by Daft
Basically, the fact that the engagement point has moved up means that the friction surface has worn enough to matter (or the fingers on the pressure plate, but usually not).

The shaking/rattling portion is pretty abnormal. Perhaps a bolt is coming loose in the clutch or FW and throwing off the balance. Since the friction surface bolts to the LWFWs there are about 20 little bolts that hold it on and the heads of these little bolts are about 2-3mm below the friction surface. If've you've worn down enough to hit them, things are only going to get worse.

When I took my LWFW out it only had 25K miles on it. The heads of the little bolts were still about 1mm below the friction surface. At the time I replaced my clutch/FW, my clutch was engaging when my clutch pedal was about 1.5-2" from the rest point.

Since the clutch is hyrdaulic you really are seeing the pedal travel as it really is. If the clutch/FW are wobbling, it will wobble the throwout bearing/pivot arm and thus the clutch's slave cylinder. That will send vibrations to the clutch pedal.

BTW, how many miles are on this clutch/FW setup?