PDA

View Full Version : Custom exhaust videos 2.8L 30V with review.

yusoslo
10-16-2006, 05:26 PM
Well I tried posting this earlier but it was moved. I will try to make this more technical.

Vids here.....write up below
start up
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKGWrC6kXPE

rev
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVZhb27evd8

driving
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEWk6H5pSa8

My car is a 98 30V with 90k on it. With the GIAC chip and LLTEK intake I would consistantly loose to my roomates 01 330ci by 1/2 to 3/4 car length. I decided to keep the stock exhaust piping due to the adequate size and the lack of power gain from a full catback.

I installed the magnaflow 14816 http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?zone=main&id=762

It was very quiet and took about 500 miles to break in. It has been 3k miles now and it has not gotten any louder past the break in period...so after 500 ish miles your good to go.

I highly recommend it because when you are on the highway cruising you would never tell the difference between stock and the magnaflow. It is truely the best of both worlds...sound when you want it...quite when you want it. Only drone I ever encountered was traffic jams when I would be doing 48-55mph in 5th after 55mph the sound is non existant since there is less load on the engine.

I would have to soley based on the butt dyno say I picked up 4-5hp. very little but combined with the 7,100 rev limit on the GIAC chip and the exhaust it pulls much harder up top and when shifting inbetween gears is where its more noticable. Before it would almost delay due to the stock redline making the gear changes fall lower into the powerband.

Also now me and my roomates 330ci are door to door. so it did provide a slight power increase. Hey his car was 30k mine was half that [:D]

Whole setup ran me 165 for the exhaust and 40 for the welding. So for 205 I thinks it a huge bang for the buck!

Mattgfx
10-16-2006, 07:02 PM
very nice!!!! i might have to go get one of those magnaflow`s!!

btw is ur car quattro?? thanx!

Gundem
10-16-2006, 07:17 PM
this is just the muffler right? not the entire exahust system? and nice to hear some 2.8s modding on the board.

the part i don't get is how is youe muffler giving you increased power? same goes with your intake.

anotehr question...Magnaflwo is selling that for $270+. how did you fidn it for less than $200+?

svra42.8
10-16-2006, 07:21 PM
did you cut the secondary muffler off also or leave it i have a universal remus on mine and i was debating if i should remove the secondary muffler hoping for a deeper tone in the 2500-3500 rpm range

pipe7284
10-16-2006, 07:29 PM
love the sound of that v6 power with muffler.

GraysonF
10-16-2006, 07:39 PM
the 14816 is a very nice muffler. thats what i have on my 1.8, but its a bitch to keep shiny and "chromey"

yusoslo
10-16-2006, 07:40 PM
Only the rear muffler with the tips was removed. Everything else remained stock.

The Magnaflow website does say that but I picked it up at my local performance shop for the price I mentioned. Call around or check ebay, I bet you will find one for the price I got it for.

Why would I gain more hp? Well this is a straight through design opposed to a baffled and chambered design. Its like the difference between running in a straight line or running through a maze.

Not a HUGE HP increase but definitely noticable.

And yes it is Quattro....I dont believe they ever made a 2wd V6 B5

Gundem
10-16-2006, 07:48 PM
^^^ Ahem...i have a 2.8 frontrak my friend. 99 = B5.

yusoslo
10-16-2006, 07:57 PM
^^I stand corrected..never knew that^^

BTW price is goooooood...no??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33636&item=270032817272

120 + 20 for shipping

BranCKY3
10-16-2006, 08:00 PM
I love how Euro v6's sound, amazing! It would sound better with a few turbos you know... [:p]

yusoslo
10-16-2006, 08:29 PM
yeah I know what cha mean^^ maybe I should do a quad turbo W16 from the Bugatti. that would be a decent motor swap.

I wish I got a S4 but now for the price of a S4 I have my A4 and a 400hp FC Rx-7 turbo!! Audi for show...Rx-7 for go!!

DRA4
10-16-2006, 09:31 PM
Damn that sounds sweet. I will get one.

VB05
10-16-2006, 09:34 PM
here's my custom Remus exhaust on my 2.8

http://media.putfile.com/Remus

speedydtp247
10-16-2006, 10:20 PM
now get a s/c kit.

sound clips of my beast (http://scaudi.com/sc/index.php?showtopic=3140)

VB05
10-16-2006, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by speedydtp247
now get a s/c kit.

sound clips of my beast (http://scaudi.com/sc/index.php?showtopic=3140)

Sweet, how fast do you think you are in like terms of 0-60 compared to stock? Every dyno it with the G1?

TQMB5
10-16-2006, 11:04 PM
dude that sounds AMAZING!!!! nicly done. to free up some power you should get rid of your cats

a4rings
10-17-2006, 01:53 AM
wtf is in this a4? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23E-TE-4D2c&mode=related&search=

yusoslo
10-17-2006, 05:32 AM
^ I'm guessing seats and a steering wheel.

Honestly I have no clue, in the video he mentions a future installation of turboS (plural). thats all I could get from it.

bellofello
10-17-2006, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by TQMB5
dude that sounds AMAZING!!!! nicly done. to free up some power you should get rid of your cats

Getting rid of the cats on a Naturally aspirated car doesn't really free up much HP. because you need the backpressure to make tourque. If your turbo or SC it would help. I think it would be overly loud, with out much gain at all. I'm going to be doing a magnaflow setup with no resonator and 2.25" piping from cat back soon as I have any money! I'll post clips when its done.

yusoslo
10-17-2006, 10:59 AM
that should sound pretty good. With no resonator its probably gonna be loud in the cabin, but it will definitely be lounder and probably more raspy/throaty

bellofello
10-17-2006, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by a4rings
wtf is in this a4? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23E-TE-4D2c&mode=related&search=

OMG thats rediculousy awesome. I want. Wonder what motor it is. It says new motor in or something on the page. He also says he from shokan and its a modified exhaust originally for an //S4, whatever the // means?

ExpLlclT
10-17-2006, 05:16 PM
mine sounds almost exactly the same

speedydtp247
10-17-2006, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by VB05
Sweet, how fast do you think you are in like terms of 0-60 compared to stock? Every dyno it with the G1?
about 5.5 from 0-60 w/o dumping the clutch. "every dyno it with the g1?" what!?

speedydtp247
10-17-2006, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by bellofello
Getting rid of the cats on a Naturally aspirated car doesn't really free up much HP. because you need the backpressure to make tourque. If your turbo or SC it would help. I think it would be overly loud, with out much gain at all. I'm going to be doing a magnaflow setup with no resonator and 2.25" piping from cat back soon as I have any money! I'll post clips when its done.
i have a 3" s4 cat-back with stock cats and its not really loud. even though i cant hear it over the s/c whine[:p]

ExpLlclT
10-17-2006, 05:30 PM
if u ever sell super chrger let me know

bellofello
10-17-2006, 05:30 PM
lol yeah but your forced induction though. So you can run a big diameter exhaust without suffering anything. I was saying it would be real loud without cats. I think you meant s/c whine [;)]

speedydtp247
10-17-2006, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by ExpLlclT
if u ever sell super chrger let me know
sorry i'm not selling the kit

speedydtp247
10-17-2006, 05:37 PM
lol yeah but your forced induction though. So you can run a big diameter exhaust without suffering anything. I was saying it would be real loud without cats. I think you meant s/c whine [;)]
thats what i ment. damn typos! *fixed*

audispeed
10-17-2006, 05:41 PM

ehh ... i debate that. i am still weary that you may lose something down low. even a lot of the supercharged guys dont think you gain much with an aftermarket exahust. some still continue to run stock exhausts.

you exhaust does sound nice though

bellofello
10-17-2006, 05:44 PM
Maybee 3" is a little large for non-turbo. but I would go with a mandrel bent mid sized exhaust though.

1a9u9d8i
10-17-2006, 05:54 PM
thank you so much for posting this, im getting one now! and im gonna keep the cat. for now too, i can always lose it later....

speedydtp247
10-17-2006, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by audispeed
ehh ... i debate that. i am still weary that you may lose something down low. even a lot of the supercharged guys dont think you gain much with an aftermarket exahust. some still continue to run stock exhausts.

you exhaust does sound nice though
actually i didnt loose any power when i switched to the s4 exhaust. my butt dyno felt alittle more top end but didnt loose any at the top end (this was before i ic'd the s/c kit). i only have fitment issues, havent rechecked the exhaust lately but oh well.

now i gained alittle more power cause i went to a smaller pulley to make up the lost power with the i/c setup if i stayed with the stock size pulley. but i do have big plans for the sc'd a4 when i get the money to upgrade to a bigger s/c unit (which s/c unit is unknown). my goal is to get over 300 awhp

yusoslo
10-17-2006, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by 1a9u9d8i
thank you so much for posting this, im getting one now! and im gonna keep the cat. for now too, i can always lose it later....

no problem man. I remeber how frustrated I was when trying to find audio clips of the 2.8, so I thought I would help my fellow V6'ers out by putting this up.

audispeed
10-17-2006, 07:42 PM
actually i didnt loose any power when i switched to the s4 exhaust. my butt dyno felt alittle more top end but didnt loose any at the top end (this was before i ic'd the s/c kit). i only have fitment issues, havent rechecked the exhaust lately but oh well.

now i gained alittle more power cause i went to a smaller pulley to make up the lost power with the i/c setup if i stayed with the stock size pulley. but i do have big plans for the sc'd a4 when i get the money to upgrade to a bigger s/c unit (which s/c unit is unknown). my goal is to get over 300 awhp

all i know is that when rick, tomasz and i were at the dyno, rick had gone back to his stock exhaust and put the s4 exhaust that he had on the A4 on his S4 (so i am pretty sure he was stock) and tomasz was simply running some ebay rear section.

i also want to make 300 awhp out of my g2 on pump. i think i can get there with the m62. it will be a stretch, but i think i can do it. i think getting the last little bit will really come from having timing control. so we will see what i do about that. when i finally get the time to do it, i might be the first to play around with a 2.6" pulley on the g2 [wrench] but that is in the future (maybee this summer) when i should have a little more free time to play around and tune it properly.

speedydtp247
10-17-2006, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by audispeed
all i know is that when rick, tomasz and i were at the dyno, rick had gone back to his stock exhaust and put the s4 exhaust that he had on the A4 on his S4 (so i am pretty sure he was stock) and tomasz was simply running some ebay rear section.

i also want to make 300 awhp out of my g2 on pump. i think i can get there with the m62. it will be a stretch, but i think i can do it. i think getting the last little bit will really come from having timing control. so we will see what i do about that. when i finally get the time to do it, i might be the first to play around with a 2.6" pulley on the g2 [wrench] but that is in the future (maybee this summer) when i should have a little more free time to play around and tune it properly.
i'm not saying that the s4 exhaust makes a big difference but it didnt hurt it any.

good luck on reaching the 300 awhp mark. i'm sure you'll get there before i will because i'm broke and plus i bought another car.

VB05
10-17-2006, 08:45 PM
about 5.5 from 0-60 w/o dumping the clutch. "every dyno it with the g1?" what!?

as in, have you ever been on the dyno with the s/c installed....as in do you have any numbers that you could tell us

speedydtp247
10-17-2006, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by VB05
as in, have you ever been on the dyno with the s/c installed....as in do you have any numbers that you could tell us
i dont have a current dyno run but here is the dyno results after i got the kit installed. this dyno sheet that you see is before i worked out the bugs that was causing my loss of power. dyno result after the s/c install (http://scaudi.com/sc/index.php?showtopic=2923) if i had to guess i'm making about 210 awhp right now, its just a guess.

xr4tic
10-17-2006, 10:23 PM
Nice, I just picked up a 14815 Magnaflow muffler for my A4 Avant. It's the same muffler, but with 3" tips instead of 3.5", hopefully I'll have time to put it on this weekend.

I got off of ebay for $125+$20 shipping, just do a search for Magnaflow 14815

I'm not sure if the dual 3.5" tips would fit in stock exhaust cutout.

bellofello
10-18-2006, 07:24 AM
yeah they do. some people are running the one with dual 4" tips and that JUST fits.

xr4tic
10-18-2006, 08:52 AM
too-large tips seems to border on rice to me - IMHO :)

yusoslo
10-18-2006, 09:22 AM
I agree. But I think the 3.5" tips compliment the car very well. Then again I do have the reiger rear bumper so its proportional.

svra42.8
10-18-2006, 12:49 PM
heres a vid of mine
http://s76.photobucket.com/albums/j19/afliction523/?action=view&current=Video-0002.flv

bellofello
10-18-2006, 05:24 PM
svra, sounds nice what setup to you have?

I think anything above 3.5" is getting a little ricy, but we also have the sound to back it up though.

I have a sound clip of a 2.8 (on an a6 though) where the guy just lopped off the muffler all together. It sounds great. What site should I use for hosting a soundclip? (it's an Itunes file)

svra42.8
10-18-2006, 06:46 PM
I used photo bucket, but im not sure if the itunes file will upload though it cant hurt to try. I just have a universal remus with factory resonator, i am thinking about removing it but i dont want it too loud, just deeper

bellofello
10-18-2006, 06:56 PM
try this and see if it works.
http://media.putfile.com/Audi-a6-28-v6-no-muffler

a little loud IMO. probably would have problems with the police. Probably droney and annoying on the highway. Doesn't sound GOOD untill he gives it.

My buddy with a TT hardtop (1.8t) did the same thing, hacked off the muffler and just welded up same sized piping to a tip in the rear. His sounds nice, not too loud. ALso because its a turbo, so comparing apples to oranges there.

svra42.8
10-18-2006, 07:29 PM
it sounds jus like mine except less hollow(muffler but straight trough) i like it, i heard a b5 2.8 with no resonator or muffler it was nice, but again loud when u punch it. My car is silent when cuising on the highway, but when i get on it its still loud...but i def love the sound bro