PDA

View Full Version : RWD Audi?

fred2ka4
10-16-2006, 02:19 PM
A friend of mine was helping me awhile back when I had to change out my clutch, and while we were under the car he asked me a question that I didn't really know the answer to, or had even thought of before. He asked, "why don't we disconnect the front drive axles and make this thing a RWD car?" I know there is more to it then just that, but how hard would it be? How is the power biased towards the front and rear, and is it possile to get all the power to the rear wheels. My car is a 00 1.8t quattro, so I think the awd is mechanical, but I know that newer cars have computer controlled transmissions. I know STaSIS has an A4 Torsen center diff upgrade that will bias the power output, so that your car can "act" like a rwd vehicle. But my question is can this be done, at a cost effective price. Of course it would have to be reversable because one of the reasons people buy Audi's is for the Quattro, but it sure would be nice to drift in an RWD Audi! [a4]

bitterchild
10-16-2006, 02:23 PM
lol @ your sig

F16HTON
10-16-2006, 02:49 PM
The STaSIS center diff does nothing to help the car act like a RWD, it does shift the power to the rear wheels under a high torque situation like exiting corners and such.

The only way to make the quattro transmission RWD would be to weld up the spider gears in the center diff, then remove the front axels...

Without the front axels, the hubs will last about two minutes before the bearings go south, the car will still understeer into the coners like a pig and will not drift.

Mad_Audi
10-16-2006, 02:55 PM
^sounds like someone you know has tried this before lol

speedydtp247
10-16-2006, 02:59 PM
there a couple of guys over on mg that converted their quattro to rwd by removing their front axels. http://www.motorgeek.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12474

fred2ka4
10-16-2006, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by 400HPA4
The STaSIS center diff does nothing to help the car act like a RWD, it does shift the power to the rear wheels under a high torque situation like exiting corners and such.

The only way to make the quattro transmission RWD would be to weld up the spider gears in the center diff, then remove the front axels...

Without the front axels, the hubs will last about two minutes before the bearings go south, the car will still understeer into the coners like a pig and will not drift.

That's all I wanted to know was if it could be done or not. I didn't really see the advantage to it because in the the end you still have a car that weighs the same, with no real benefits, because it was designed as an awd vehicle. When I said "acts" I meant under the conditions that you stated, because it only came into effect under the high torque conditions. Thanks for your input, and it's nice to hear frome someone who has actually tried.

fred2ka4
10-16-2006, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by speedydtp247
there a couple of guys over on mg that converted their quattro to rwd by removing their front axels. http://www.motorgeek.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12474

I watched the video's on that car, but what are the differences between that Audi, and my year. I'm sure some of the mechanics have changed since then, but I'm also sure the principal is the same, but correct me if I'm wrong.

svra42.8
10-16-2006, 03:32 PM
i so want to do that to my car

drkstrA4
10-16-2006, 03:35 PM
why dont you just buy a RWD car instead of going through all that trouble?

maxspeed
10-16-2006, 03:56 PM
feint(sp?) technique will make the quattro drift like a champ, just a little over steer -> understeer and stay on the throttle, the torsen will send the power to the back anyway, and shell kick out just like a rwd

just remember when you want to end the slide gently let off the gas and DONT counter steer hard AT ALL just sorta straighten the whel shell come around pretty much by her self

the key to maintaining awd drifts is subtle steering inputs and staying on the gas

bitterchild
10-16-2006, 04:00 PM
not if torsen is biased to the front axle ;)

mike-2ptzero
10-16-2006, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by maxspeed
feint(sp?) technique will make the quattro drift like a champ, just a little over steer -> understeer and stay on the throttle, the torsen will send the power to the back anyway, and shell kick out just like a rwd

just remember when you want to end the slide gently let off the gas and DONT counter steer hard AT ALL just sorta straighten the whel shell come around pretty much by her self

the key to maintaining awd drifts is subtle steering inputs and staying on the gas

How do you get that the torsen will send the power to the rear? It stays at 50/50 all the time no matter what unless you use a torsen that changes the ratio. This means when you do kick the rear out you are still putting power down with the front tires which are pulling the car thru the corner.

maxspeed
10-16-2006, 07:09 PM
bitter: if the front spins first, the powers gonna transfer to the back...

mike: http://www.autozine.org/technical_school/traction/tech_traction_4wd_2.htm

anyway its more of one wheel spinning faster on one side then the other , but this happens more in the back then the front when using the technique i mentioned above.

svra42.8
10-16-2006, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by svra42.8
i so want to do that to my car

i had a formula 350 and chose audi due to looks and quality over gas eating power, however i think its a pretty cool idea if it could be done easily...but i still think quattro is amazing