PDA

View Full Version : Car dies while driving

CSHO1.8t
10-16-2006, 11:08 AM
Ill keep this as brief as possible. I was driving on I-5 over the weekend and my car completly shut itself off while im doin about 80mph. This isnt the first time this has happened however, just the last straw (in heavy traffic on I-5). I recently instaled an APR chip, new plugs, ect. It seems like since i installed the chip, some wierd things have started happening. WTF is going on?

Oh yeah, the dash beeps three time when it starts to die and it sucks because the check engine light will only flash durring the time the dash is beeping, then go away, leaving me unable to vag it. i dont know if that is of any help. Sometimes it totally dies when i start it, other times it doesnt. I figured the plugs would be the reason for it not starting all the time, but when i pulled the old ones out, they looked fine, but still replaced them w/ the ngk and gaped them to .028.

badassbaldie
10-16-2006, 11:25 AM
bad ecu, bad soldered chip, fuel pump relay and/or fuel pump, bad wiring harness...The list of possibilities is endless...

CSHO1.8t
10-16-2006, 01:51 PM
figures.

the ecu is from a 99 1.8t, but my car is a 98. i have no idea if it makes a difference.

badassbaldie
10-16-2006, 02:54 PM
the ecu is from a 99 1.8t, but my car is a 98. i have no idea if it makes a difference.

Nope, it shouldn't. Did your car have this problem before you installed the chip? If not, I would definitely take it back to the APR dealer and have them look at it...

CSHO1.8t
10-16-2006, 03:14 PM
Actually, before i installed the chip it did have a similar problem (it happened once, long before the chip). i figred it was bad gas or something. then it never did it untill about a week after the new ecu and chip was installed. like you said, the possibilities ARE endless. i just want to narrow it down to save some time and a bit of money.

One more thing i suppose...
the airbag light came on this morning when it wouldnt start.

stressful.

Gundem
10-16-2006, 03:18 PM
fuel pump or ECU. still get it checked MSG board can't determine based on text evidence.

yemntftb
10-16-2006, 03:21 PM
Is the ECU the same Box Type as you had before? If you put a different ECU Box type, like an M Box in a CH Box it could cause problems...try putting your stock ECU back in maybe...or if you have always had the same ECU that obviously wouldn't be your problem...

CSHO1.8t
10-16-2006, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Sx2
fuel pump or ECU. still get it checked MSG board can't determine based on text evidence.

i will. any idea of how much that will run me?

lovintheboost
10-16-2006, 04:40 PM
all i know is that when the cel flashes it means youre supposed to pull over it did it when a coil pack went bad not that thats the problem with your car just the flshing cel means a more important piece of equipment has failed

offroader1006
10-16-2006, 04:44 PM
leave the key on and you should have some soft codes, they will go away when the key is turned off.

and make sure the ecu is compatible for your year like started above.

CSHO1.8t
10-16-2006, 05:28 PM
alright, just tried to start it to go to class. nothing. wont turn over. it makes a buzzing sound

this is a fking nightmare.

HighDesertAudi
10-16-2006, 08:19 PM
Hey man when did it start having problems? This ECU came out of my Early 99 A4 1.8tqm, it should work perfectly fine. Did you check all your hoses and the Diverter Valve. I never had a problem with it over the several months i had it. Youve been runing Premium havent you?

CSHO1.8t
10-16-2006, 08:26 PM
yeah i checked the hoses. the diverter valve was actually the FIRst thing i checked, everything looks fine. and only chevron or shell premium.

HighDesertAudi
10-16-2006, 08:39 PM
Has the fuel filter ever been replaced? I might be going through Corvalis again this weekend, maybe i could stop by and lend a hand and bring my VAG

CSHO1.8t
10-16-2006, 08:43 PM
that would be perfect. cody and i are gonna try a few things this weekend probably, but a vag would be sick.

HighDesertAudi
10-16-2006, 08:49 PM
Ya no problem, I hope its not the ECU id feel like a jacka$$.

A4euro
10-17-2006, 08:18 AM
Did you check connections on your battery terminals?