PDA

View Full Version : Oh noooo!! Need some help

SirDaft1
10-15-2006, 12:33 PM
The car threw a CEL the other day and I had the code checked at Renn-Art and they said it was a bad MAF. They told me to clean it first and that might fix it.

So I cleaned my MAF last night w/ some intake cleaner (as advised from the renn-art crew) and I put it back in. Started up the car and it ran worse than it did than beforehand. I could rev it up to keep it going, but when it would idle, she died. I was told to we can pull the MAF out and the car will run in limp mode. So I pull the MAF to see if it is the MAF that I am having issues with and the car started and idled a little better. I let the car idle for a few minutes w/o the MAF and then the engine started sputtering and it threw a flashing CEL. I put the MAF back in, and it did the same exact thing. Does this sound like a straight MAF issue?

The sputtering and flashing CEL freaked me out. I kinda like the idea of keeping the engine I have in the car and not having to buy a new one. Anybody have an idea? (btw- i have no access to a vag-com)

GraysonF
10-15-2006, 12:38 PM
did you let the maf dry COMPLETELY before you put it back in? soak it in the cleaner over night, let it dry for several hours in the morning, and try it around lunchtime

GraysonF
10-15-2006, 12:39 PM
or just buy a new maf

IKE20VA4
10-15-2006, 01:33 PM
hmm...i don't know if you used intake cleaner or electric parts cleaner...but i would think you would want to use electric parts cleaner. i have my MAF unplugged and the car runs better than w/ it in...so i'm not sure what your issues are now.

SirDaft1
10-15-2006, 02:29 PM
Ok I have an update. I ran to autozone and picked up an OBDII reader. Here is what it said:

- System too lean (bank 1)
- MAF A circuit low input
- Cylinder 1 misfire detected

LateraLex
10-15-2006, 02:32 PM
Sounds like your MAF is dead. You can buy a cheap refurbished replacement at 1stvwparts.com if you can find the part number which works with your engine (search).

SirDaft1
10-15-2006, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by LateraLex
Sounds like your MAF is dead. You can buy a cheap refurbished replacement at 1stvwparts.com if you can find the part number which works with your engine (search).

Appreciate the heads up. Asking $215 for the MAF on there which seems a little high. For future reference the part # on a new MAF for us '01 1.8T guys is 06A906461L.

LateraLex
10-15-2006, 02:57 PM
That's really high. I paid $110 shipped for mine, also for an 01 1.8T.

SirDaft1
10-15-2006, 03:16 PM
no crap. On 1stvwparts.com?

SirDaft1
10-15-2006, 03:22 PM
ECS is around $150 shipped. I might just do the stealership for $180.

LateraLex
10-15-2006, 03:36 PM
Yeah it was 1stvwparts... I got the part number from someone on this forum but the PM got deleted. Are you sure you were looking at the refurbished MAF that's designed for the Passat?