PDA

View Full Version : oh god help....lol

turboquattro068
10-15-2006, 09:22 AM
well when i was taking out the turbo to reinstall some things, a old bolt busted off[headbang] from mani/turbo man this sucks, i cant get it out with vise grips or anything, heated it up, any suggestions please help....i dont want to drill into my new turbo, should have gotten new bolts[confused]

Poopie
10-15-2006, 09:27 AM
punctuation!!

eeehhh your bolt is seized in there pretty good. I wouldn't waste time doing it yourself. Take it to a machine shop to have them drill it out and retap it.

turboquattro068
10-15-2006, 09:28 AM
i figured id have to do that, i have to wait for ATP to send me a friggin fitting for the oil inlet since they didnt send it, they have horrible service sometimes, products not bad, servie is horrible, second time they have really screwed up on an order

turboquattro068
10-15-2006, 09:52 AM
you know how much people charge for that? I could do it myself but dont want to risk it, ive done it before on a friends but, seem skeptical when its mine and so much $$ on the line

GraysonF
10-15-2006, 10:19 AM
i cant imagin it would be tooooo expensive. how long can it take if its done correctly, 25 minutes? maybe a good tip to the doer if he did it correctly.

onemoremile
10-15-2006, 10:25 AM
a good set of drill bits and "easy outs" and you can remove that yourself. just be careful not to bite into the housing or threads. start small and work your way up.

as long as you are waiting for parts you might as well get your hands on new bolts/studs. no sense holding the expensive parts together with questionable fasteners. the only thing worse than breaking a fastener while taking something apart is breaking a fastener while putting things together. why, because then your only course of action is to take things back apart. that just sucks the momentum out of any project.

turboquattro068
10-15-2006, 01:03 PM
thats exactly what happend man.......im so frustrated now, and having fitment problems, oil lines, coolant lines, ugh!?! it will be wellworth it after words but in the mean time she sits in the garage asking for that beautiful turbo to be put on.....

BaconBait
10-16-2006, 02:27 AM
Liquid wrench works wonders.

turboquattro068
10-16-2006, 02:31 AM
whats liquid wrench? and wherre can i find it?! lol thanks for the input guys

onemoremile
10-16-2006, 08:24 AM
PB Blaster is still my favorite.

iin10ded
10-16-2006, 09:37 AM
pblaster and kroil, which is harder to find but penetrates better. soak the poo out of them.

besides, it's already F'd you might as well try to pull the bolt out. like 1more said, get some easy out removers, i think sears carries them.

you can always take it to a shop if you've exhausted other outlets.

onemoremile
10-16-2006, 09:40 AM
^^what he said.

if it is really frozen in there then a machine shop can put it on a drill press and drill a pilot hole down the center of the bolt. then they tap a reverse thread in it. a reverse thread bolt goes in and twists it out. that is what the easy outs try to do but they don't always get enough grip going in. the need to be fairly deep on a really stuck bolt.

hey4
10-16-2006, 09:51 AM
same thing happened to me. Try this. Start the car and let it warm up. That should heat-up the bolt to expand and become more loose. It did on my passat. It actually started to vibrate but once the car cooled down it would contract and become stuck again. So grab a good set of pliers or something you could use to take it out and gloves so you don't burn yourself.

TQMB5
10-16-2006, 10:29 AM
yea that is a pretty good idea, between the heat and the vibration it may work. but obviously that means you would still have to wait for the oil line fitment

turboquattro068
10-16-2006, 12:52 PM
ah...got it machined out, good ol' douggy holmes! gotta love it when its free of charge to, good to have a good reputation around where you live, thanx anyways guys, and trust me, i used pb blaster like it was going out of stock lol, still broke, but the gtrs will be in by the end of this week!, just waiting on a fitting, cant wait, hopefully i get all the bugs worked out within a week, thanks for all the help audizine!