PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Gremlin

qtek16
10-14-2006, 10:58 AM
soo washed and waxed and changed the oil last night ;)
started the car up and i could actually hear arching comming from the area where the MAF is, checked all connections, have a new maf by the way, everything seemed to be fine and the arching clicking sound finally stopped. Drove it a few times last night and it was fine,

This morning when i started it up, it didnt want to start, had to hold the key on for about 5 secs before it finally cranked over, the voltage was reading about 8 while it was trying to start, and it sits about half way between 12 and 16 while running. The abs and esp lights were on, on the dash, auto matic windows up down had reset and the climate control had reset.

drove it down the road a few mins, and it did it again when i went to start it. Drove it about 40 mins to work and shut it off and tried to restart it and it started fine, this time with no lights on the dash

My question is, am i looking at merely a battery issue or could it be alternator/starter?. Thanks guys and sorry for the long post ;)

offroader1006
10-14-2006, 11:19 AM
if your charging 14 volts, your alternator is fine.

the starter could be at fault, but if its showing 8 volts, its more likely the battery.

qtek16
10-14-2006, 11:49 AM
yeah just went to start it, hesitated a bit, not as bad as earlier, its def loosing its charge