PDA

View Full Version : radio in safe (i know i know, but seriously)

loustylez
10-13-2006, 03:09 PM
first of all i've searched a while ago for this and just now and i'm still stumped. i'd really appreciate some quick help though. i'm in a crunch cuz i'm about to leave soon on a fairly long trip so i'm tryin to figure out how to get this damn thing out of safe mode. i've searched AW and here and i'm confused.

it's in safe mode right now... just says safe. i'm in a 2001 a4 2.8 QT bose unit. i have my code but it's got a 9 in it which isn't a button on the radio, so how am i supposed to do this.

it's in safe.. do i wait an hour then i'm supposed to tell it's "ready" to put in codes? if so, how? do i hold down two buttons until it goes to 1000 or something? do i push #1 however many times to get to the first digit (like entering letters on a cellphone)? all the search results i found were never clear on 1. do this. 2. then do this. 3. then put in yur code like this. 4. do this.

key is turned on and it's sitting there for now, in case i'm supposed to wait an hour. then after an hour is it supposed to say "ready" or have a cursor or what.

pipe7284
10-13-2006, 03:24 PM
i would get an aftermarket, so there would be no more dealing with "safe mode".

loustylez
10-13-2006, 03:30 PM
thanks for the tip chief. waiting to put in a car computer, but thanks.

i've found some more out, but feel free to help me out still i haven't got it working yet.

holding RBDS and FM2 for like... 2 minutes doesn't do shit, so i'm leaving the key on and radio on in SAFE for an hour.

again... feel free to chime in cuz if it doesn't work after this then i got a 4 hour drive ahead of me with no tunes. SUCK.

pipe7284
10-13-2006, 04:02 PM
ok, try singing all the way!!! j/k...lol....
i really dont know man. i am just bored at work.
sory.
can anybody help this guy out?

loustylez
10-14-2006, 12:41 AM
it's still just saying safe. none of the numbers are responsive and i've tried holding down RBDS and FM2 for like 120 seconds and it still won't do anything.

the only other thing i've found searching is leaving the key on and the radio on in safe mode for an hour. haven't had a chance to do it yet. i'll do it tomorrow morning and hope that works, then call the audi dealership and ask them.

i already know their first question and my response....

"no, i already HAVE the code thanks."

i will say though...

i had a nice drive. just me and the car. it's been a LONG time since i've driven without music. the cd always starts up that was in there before and then i change it eventually. i should do this more often. i highly recommend it, especially for those that maybe have a nice warm sounding exhaust while cruising on the highway.

RippleChip
10-14-2006, 12:51 PM
I'd have to go check my manual, but with the code it should of been easy to get out. I'll post up the instructions in a second.

loustylez
10-14-2006, 12:56 PM
in a 2001 A4, to unlock the radio out of SAFE mode, you do the following:

If the radio is displaying SAFE, hold down the RBDS and PSCAN buttons for a few seconds.

it should switch to something that looks like "1000 1" press the respective radio button that's under the digit you want to change however many times it takes to get to the number of the code you want to enter.

after you enter the code, hold down RBDS and PSCAN again for a few seconds. the radio said SAFE again, i was like wtf for a second, then i let go and the radio came on and ejected my cd and it's back to normal.

RippleChip
10-14-2006, 01:13 PM
Here is the process from the manual:

Turn on the radio - word SAFE appears in the display.

Press P.SCAN and RDBS buttons SIMULTANEOUSLY and hold them down until 1000 lights up on the display.

Release buttons.

Use station buttons 1...4 to enter the code number. Use button 1 to enter the first digit of the code, 2 for the second digit and so on.

Once the code is shows press the P.SCAN and RDBS buttons again simultaneously and hold them down until the word SAFE appears.

Release buttons, soon afterwards a frequency will be displayed.

loustylez
10-14-2006, 01:16 PM
only difference is that "1000" started on like.... radio button 3 or something for me. so 3 was my first digit, 4 was my second digit, 5 was my third digit, etc.

RippleChip
10-14-2006, 01:16 PM
There you go....wow I had no reason to type all that out

loustylez
10-14-2006, 01:17 PM
hah, yah man i just called the dealership and waited on hold for 20 minutes cuz they only got one guy working today or something.

i guess in older a4's the buttons you hold down are slightly different that's all.

AnthraciteA4
01-12-2007, 05:48 PM
Does any one happen to know that the buttons are in the older Audis? I have a 99, so I don't have a pscan or rdbs. I do have my code though.

loustylez
01-18-2007, 03:03 PM
look on audiworld. i think the tech article on that is accurate to your car, where i had different buttons so i was confused the whole time as to what to press.